or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

District 9

post #1 of 595
Thread Starter 
Haven't heard of this one until just now when I watched the trailer here. I have to admit, the trailer threw me off at first, looks pretty interesting.
post #2 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter Cane View Post

Haven't heard of this one until just now when I watched the trailer here. I have to admit, the trailer threw me off at first, looks pretty interesting.

'District 9' is based upon this short on YouTube (there are several others available also). Some are saying this movie is the "Halo" movie, not sure how true that is.

Looks good, can't wait!!

Another good video which provides a lot of info.

Official web site.
post #3 of 595
The director neil blomkamp is south african and was handpicked by peter jackson to direct teh proposed(now dead) Halo film. Neil's shorts have shown true sci-fi themes that deal with humanity, racism and social awkwardness. He's also known for a sharp contrasted realistic visual style that makes CG seamless with the action and frankly this project has me eagerly awaiting his first full length project. My favorite short of his is called "tempbot".
post #4 of 595
'District 9' = 'Halo' ? Possible? I don't recall any District 9 reference in any of the Halo games. Nor did that alien or the ship look like anything from Halo. However...this would be a badass teaser and ploy if it were. Unfortunately, the Halo-junkies (myself included in another life), would never let a Halo production get this far without knowing full-well of it's existence. Not possible to keep that a secret this long.
post #5 of 595
Strange trailer. Strange looking picture.
post #6 of 595
Smacks a little too much of Alien Nation for me, but I'll take a wait and see attitude with this one.
post #7 of 595
post #8 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B View Post

Smacks a little too much of Alien Nation for me, but I'll take a wait and see attitude with this one.

That is what I thought and set in South Africa no less.
post #9 of 595
Trailer 2 is out. Looking more interesting...
post #10 of 595
I think it looks awesome! One of my most anticipated of the rest of the year besides Avatar.
post #11 of 595
Wow. Very cool premise. With Peter Jackson on board it's giving me hope it could be pretty cool. I'll be there.
post #12 of 595
Nowhere in the early commercials did they indicate that there be some badass mech action. I'm in!
post #13 of 595
I'm there.
Reminiscent of ID, WoW, etc.
But that's fine too.

BD please....
post #14 of 595
I don't know a lot about the movie, except the tailers I've seen. It seems to have a Starship Troopers kinda feel to it too. I am actually very excited for this one, as it seems to be reminscent of some things, but still seems to be more of an original idea than anything else coming out.

Plus it's sci-fi! I can't wait.
post #15 of 595
Looking forward to this......really
post #16 of 595
Check out the District 9 panel with Peter and Neil in the Comic Con thread
post #17 of 595
Like so many movies coming out these days, I can only hope it's worth seeing. It does look interesting, but something about the trailers is making me nervous about it being any good. Can't put my finger on it, and I hope I'm very wrong.
post #18 of 595
I love movies like this that look at alien life in a way other than they want to invade. I love what Peter Jackson has done in the past and I hope this will be another work of art.
post #19 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

I love movies like this that look at alien life in a way other than they want to invade. I love what Peter Jackson has done in the past and I hope this will be another work of art.

Haha reminds me of that new animated movie coming out where we land on a fully functioning alien planet and attempt to claim it for the USA.. by placing a flag in the backyard of an alien family having a BBQ who are just staring at us in disbelief! Haha.. here's the trailer:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer...eature-trailer
post #20 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Haha reminds me of that new animated movie coming out where we land on a fully functioning alien planet and attempt to claim it for the USA.. by placing a flag in the backyard of an alien family having a BBQ who are just staring at us in disbelief! Haha.. here's the trailer:

Ha haa! Yeah, I saw that in the theater and I laughed pretty hard. Looks like it will be entertaining.
post #21 of 595
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41892

I'm so pumped to see this..
post #22 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41892

I'm so pumped to see this..

Damn if that doesn't get me motivated!
post #23 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Damn if that doesn't get me motivated!

Not me that's for sure, I wonder how many pharmacies and poppy fields that guy has visited before he wrote that "opus magnum". I'm gonna wait for a more "coherent" take on this film.
post #24 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41892

I'm so pumped to see this..

That review seems a bit optimistic. Kind of like he'll watch it again at a later date and have different thoughts about. Still, I did like this line from it....

"The lack of studio intervention here is plain as day"
post #25 of 595
Variety Review

Wow. Stellar review there. Did not think it was going to be that violent. It looks like this could be the breakout success of the summer.
post #26 of 595
Anyone know what the budget of this movie was?

I thought this might have been more of an independent film, as I don't believe it's a major studio releasing it. I was surprised to see ESPN running a trailer for it yesterday.
post #27 of 595
$30 mil.
post #28 of 595
Thanks. The trailer has some impressive visuals for a $30mm movie. Doesn't look like they have any overpaid actors on the payroll, so that helps.
post #29 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

as it seems to be reminscent of some things,

Aliens, ID4 and Terminator Salvation?
post #30 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Variety Review

Wow. Stellar review there. Did not think it was going to be that violent. It looks like this could be the breakout success of the summer.

Let's hope this is just the first of many good reviews. I was very skeptical at first, but I'd love to be proven wrong. A good film is more important than my predictions coming true.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home