I am building my first HTPC. I have assembled PCs before but never a HTPC. I live in California and plan to use it for over the air broadcast ATSC both Live and DVR, Ripped and Downloaded Music, Movies, Photos as well as watching Blu-Ray and DVD movies. I would also like to access Netflix and Hulu. I also might want to play a little GTA IV once in a while. I spent some time researching it on the AVS Forum and I saw a gentleman, ZeeBOBNZ, from New Zealand's videos of his Zalman HTPC running MediaPortal on Youtube and decided to go for it. I used the AVS Forum recommendations from Renethx as a guide (Intel/Intel ATX High End). Here is what I ordered:
I recently had my circa 1993 Hitachi 55 inch Ultravision SD projection TV die so I just bought a Samsung Luxia 55UNB7000.
* 1 x Western Digital WD20EADS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM
* 1 x Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80580Q8300 - Retail
* 1 x GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
* 1 x Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 MCE Kit 1128 PCI-Express x1 Interface - Retail
* 1 x Western Digital Caviar GP WD7500AACS 750GB 5400 to 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM
* 1 x ZALMAN Black Aluminum HD160XT Plus ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail
* 1 x HIS Hightech H485QT512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready
CrossFire Supported IceQ4 Turbo Video Card - Retail
* 1 x LG Black 6X Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive SATA Model GGW-H20L - OEM
* 1 x ASUS Xonar D2 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Ultra Fidelity Sound Card with Complete Dolby/DTS Sound
Technologies - Retail
* 1 x Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
* 1 x ADATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Unbuffered-DIMM Non-ECC Memory
* 1 x Zalman CNPS9500A LED CPU Cooling Fan - Socket 478, 775, 754, 939, 940, AM2
* 1 x Logitech diNovo Mini
* 1 x Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
* 1 x Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1 64-bit for System Builders
I was considering using MCE but now that I found MediaPortal it looks like a better option but i am just not sure if it does everthing I need. I am also not sure if all of my hardware is completely compatible with it. It is also possible I made some mistakes in what I ordered, if so I would appreciate someone pointing that out to me. I bought two hard disks and plan to use one for software (smaller one) and the other one (first of many) for media. Does anyone know if the Tuner card I bought can be used with a single antenna to get two ATSC DT stations at the same time? I would like the ability to record two stations simultaneously. Eventually I will also need to get a receiver and speakers but the piggy bank is a little low for that now...
Again, thank you so much for your input in advance!!!