post #1 of 1
Thread Starter 
If your cable box has a dead FireWire/1394 port on it, there is an FCC web site you can use to complain. First of all, you need to see if your cable company will fix it. Call them a couple of times and tell them that they are in violation of the FCC mandate. Toss in words like "violation of FCC rulings covered in CS Docket 97-80" and "requirements specified in 47 C.F.R. 76.640(b)(4)" That will let the help desk know that you know what you are talking about. If they refuse, then ask to talk to a supervisor. If the supervisor does not give you any help, then go to this link on the FCC web site:
esupport dot fcc dot gov slash complaints dot htm
It is pretty easy to figure out. Select "Broadcast Cable and Satellite Issues". then "DTV Issues" then fill out the electronic form. If you use the same words in your complaint about "Docket 97-80" and "47 C.F.R. 76.640(b)(4)" then the FCC will know what you are talking about. You should include who your cable provider is, when you called them, how many times you called them, and what they said back to you.

This actually works. I got this from a guy who did it, got a letter back from the FCC in a few weeks and the next day he had a phone call from Comcast asking if "Tomorrow would be convenient". They fixed his FireWire port the next day.