or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › The Good, The Bad and the Ugly comparison *PIX*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly comparison *PIX* - Page 11

post #301 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

Yes, but it was first shown at the NFT in London around a year ago. I think the same print of the restoration has been going round the UK for 12 months.

Ah, got it. You're right, given the very limited theatrical showings, probably just a few prints were made (not just for the UK but worldwide). Let's hope they announce a BD soon ...
post #302 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post



Yes, but it was first shown at the NFT in London around a year ago. I think the same print of the restoration has been going round the UK for 12 months.

Steve W

I saw the restored print at The Academy (Goldwyn) Theater in Beverly Hills as part of the 40th Anniversary. I largely agree with your comments on the restored print.

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. Can't wait for it on Blu.
post #303 of 521
My copy of the Italian GBU has been shipped today by dvd-store.it. Hope I will have it on friday. Will post some screencaps then.
post #304 of 521
Looking forward to it

Thank you Rathbone!
post #305 of 521
BTW, the BD has now appeared on Mondo's site:

http://www.mondohe.com/novita-ottobr...to-il-cattivo/

Interestingly enough, it says that the disc *does* have english audio. Let's hope this is right and the representative who told me otherwise got it wrong. FYI, this is what I was told earlier:
Quote:


I'm sorry to tell you that our next release of "Il Buono il Brutto il cattivo" Blu-ray is in Italian language only (Italian 2.0 and Italian 5.1). Video is a very high quality cause it's totally remastered.

Edit: On the other hand, the site also claims it's 1.78:1, so maybe we shouldn't wish for it to be right.
post #306 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon View Post

BTW, the BD has now appeared on Mondo's site:

http://www.mondohe.com/novita-ottobr...to-il-cattivo/

Interestingly enough, it says that the disc *does* have english audio. Let's hope this is right and the representative who told me otherwise got it wrong. FYI, this is what I was told earlier:

Edit: On the other hand, the site also claims it's 1.78:1, so maybe we shouldn't wish for it to be right.

Yah that site also says 25gb and single layer. I doubt that and think it will be a 50gb disc.

The running time seems wrong too so i also assume it will have no english audio.
post #307 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone View Post

My copy of the Italian GBU has been shipped today by dvd-store.it. Hope I will have it on friday. Will post some screencaps then.

Thanks Rathbone! Can't wait! I'm crossing my fingers it has english audio. If it does, I'm buying it immediately....well maybe after I see the screencaps
post #308 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

Yah that site also says 25gb and single layer. I doubt that and think it will be a 50gb disc.

I think it is very well possible that they use a BD25 (they also did that for Few Dollars More, which is about 30 minutes shorter and occupies less than 20GB on the disc). Shouldn't be a problem.
Quote:


The running time seems wrong too

That's another open question. We don't know which cut of the movie will be on the disc. In all likelihood it will be different (shorter) from the one on the MGM disc.
post #309 of 521
Did you get your copy Rathbone (or anyone else)? There is still no official confirmation of whether this Italian version has English audio or not....
post #310 of 521
Someone on the Cinefacts forum received his. No English audio.
post #311 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon View Post

Someone on the Cinefacts forum received his. No English audio.

Damn. Fistful of Dollars is fantastic. Must be a rights issue.
post #312 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon View Post

Someone on the Cinefacts forum received his. No English audio.

Any word on PQ?
post #313 of 521
According to the people on the Cinefacts forum it's got more grain preserved, so it's not DNR'ed like the US release. It doesn't have english audio. And it's shorter than the US release, missing the grotto scene.
post #314 of 521
I have received my Italian disc by Mondo. It is a BD50. The video is VC1 encoded with healthy bitrates. The movie length is 02:54.23 (the MGM is 02:58.41). I have not checked scene by scene for differences, but I think the difference can be accounted for by the grotto scene and the additional restoration credits on the MGM, so it seems to be the Italian theatrical cut.

The picture is much different from the MGM, but see for yourself:

(MGM on the left, Mondo on the right)

__

__

__

__

__

__
post #315 of 521
Thanks Rigby. Unfortunately my copy has not arrived yet.

As expected the Mondo release is much better than the MGM DNR crap. The last screencap looks gorgeous.
post #316 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone View Post

Thanks Rigby. Unfortunately my copy has not arrived yet.

As expected the Mondo release is much better than the MGM DNR crap. The last screencap looks gorgeous.

Zoom in on his face in the last Mondo cap...what's going on there?

Second shot from the bottom, Mondo...do I see EE all around the gun? Why does his hand appear to have a bright blue outline? The blue is very faint in the MGM shot.
post #317 of 521
I'm pretty sure that's a lens artifact.

The Mondo disc looks so much better than the POS MGM disc. There's actual detail as opposed to a smeary mess.
post #318 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert View Post

Zoom in on his face in the last Mondo cap...what's going on there?

Second shot from the bottom, Mondo...do I see EE all around the gun? Why does his hand appear to have a bright blue outline? The blue is very faint in the MGM shot.

No i don't think thats edge enhancement and is likely something else since it is a blueish tint against the sky outline. Definately not EE but perhaps a form of chromatic aberration or an optical printing thing. On the last cap thats the grain structure and when in motion it would not look like that. You can see something similar in Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves which also had screencaps which had some grain on faces but when in motion looked just fine.

The Mondo edition has much finer detail present and a grain structure that is sorely lacking in the MGM edition. I don't think the Mondo edition looks perfect but it's closer than the MGM edition and much nicer and i wish it had an audio soundtrack in english.

For those saying the MGM was the best they could do though well this release proves them wrong and it proves more detail was possible if MGM had just left the DNR dial to zero.

How many minutes does this edition run ?
post #319 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

On the last cap thats the grain structure and when in motion it would not look like that.

Correct.
Quote:


For those saying the MGM was the best they could do though well this release proves them wrong and it proves more detail was possible if MGM had just left the DNR dial to zero.

It's not just a matter of "DNR". The Mondo is much better, but they obviously had access to a different master than the one MGM got. There are dirt specs on one edition that are not on the other, the framing is different, as well as the color timing ...
Quote:


How many minutes does this edition run ?

It's listed in my posting.
post #320 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon View Post

Correct.
It's not just a matter of "DNR". The Mondo is much better, but they obviously had access to a different master than the one MGM got. There are dirt specs on one edition that are not on the other, the framing is different, as well as the color timing ...
It's listed in my posting.

Yah i notice the colors if anything may be a little over saturated on some scenes in the Mondo edition but not all and it looks just so superior i could live with that and who knows maybe the MGM has a little too much desaturation going on in some scenes so none of them may be absolutely perfect. The cloud detail is better in some of the screenshots on the Mondo edition.

Pity about the running time though as i thought maybe if it was identical i could buy both and use two players and output english sound to my receiver. That would be a bit of trouble getting it to work but if the running time was identical i think i could manage it.
post #321 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert View Post

Zoom in on his face in the last Mondo cap...what's going on there?

Second shot from the bottom, Mondo...do I see EE all around the gun? Why does his hand appear to have a bright blue outline? The blue is very faint in the MGM shot.

This doesn't look like digital EE. I have been told that if the sun shines strong on an object directly from behind, you can get an effect that looks like EE on analog film material with certain lenses. Remeber GBU was shot on cheap material and lenses. It's also in the MGM but much more subtle cause the MGM looks washed out and soft.
post #322 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

Yah i notice the colors if anything may be a little over saturated on some scenes in the Mondo edition but not all and it looks just so superior i could live with that and who knows maybe the MGM has a little too much desaturation going on in some scenes so none of them may be absolutely perfect.

One has to be careful about judging colors from screenshots anyway, since most people's systems (including the PC I used for making the screenshots) are not properly color calibrated. It is easily possible that the decoder, the renderer, or the graphics card driver I used influenced the colors.
Quote:


Pity about the running time though as i thought maybe if it was identical i could buy both and use two players and output english sound to my receiver. That would be a bit of trouble getting it to work but if the running time was identical i think i could manage it.

I think the quality difference is worth the effort of making a homebrew dub for the Mondo disc ...
post #323 of 521
Not as good as A Fistful of Dollars, obviously didn't get the same kind of restoration, and there might be some sharpening/halos (silhouette in the first shot, rocks in the second) but other than that, fantastic!

The detail, clarity and grain alone make it vastly superior to the MGM disc, but then you get to those beautiful golden hues, with clear blue skies and green vegetation-no doubt more in line with what it should look like-and it really puts that murky piece of MGM crap to shame.
post #324 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

For those saying the MGM was the best they could do though well this release proves them wrong and it proves more detail was possible if MGM had just left the DNR dial to zero.

There is virtually no difference in detail levels between any of those screenscaps.

Let's start at the beginning - the first set.

Blow up both caps to full size and look at the information on the far left of the screen - there are some flowers half out of shot and a lamp hanging on the wall. If there's more detail in one than the other the US disc is slightly better. The beam on the ceiling - the defects in the beam are very slightly clearer in the US version.

The 'emperor's new clothes' aspect of this is only underlined by people claiming not to be able to see the far bigger differences between the SD DVD and US Blu-ray Disc.

To call the US version a 'POS' just shows the ridiculous hyperbole evident all too often at these forums.

Steve W
post #325 of 521
You sure about that? Check out the 4th set of pics. The MGM looks like a muddy dvd in comparison.
post #326 of 521
Rigby: could you possibly post a BDInfo scan? Thanks
post #327 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

There is virtually no difference in detail levels between any of those screenscaps.

Cropped from the 4th shot.





I'll let you guess which is which.
post #328 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

To call the US version a 'POS' just shows the ridiculous hyperbole evident all too often at these forums.

You sure did back the wrong horse on this one. Not only did the BD look like crap beside a lousy ancient dvd but it looks even worse beside a BD that wasn't filtered to easily compressed paste. The above images says it all. The MGM disc is so smeared of detail and texture it looks like a friggin dvd.
post #329 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

There is virtually no difference in detail levels between any of those screenscaps.

Let's start at the beginning - the first set.

Blow up both caps to full size and look at the information on the far left of the screen - there are some flowers half out of shot and a lamp hanging on the wall. If there's more detail in one than the other the US disc is slightly better. The beam on the ceiling - the defects in the beam are very slightly clearer in the US version.

The 'emperor's new clothes' aspect of this is only underlined by people claiming not to be able to see the far bigger differences between the SD DVD and US Blu-ray Disc.

To call the US version a 'POS' just shows the ridiculous hyperbole evident all too often at these forums.

Steve W


It's sometimes about the film look and not always about more detail but lets clarify one thing. The Mondo disc has more detail in some shots and never ever has less detail in others thus is the preferred disc for those looking for a film experience.

Check out pic 4 with the soldiers and check the detail in the cardigan or whatever it is he. Notice the fine detail present in the Mondo version which is scrubbed smooth and clean in the MGM edition.

So i have to respectfully disagree with you and wish you would stop trying to claim it's hyperbole as i really have never went down that route. You will know from the Contact thread i have my opinion and never just go with the crowd and i thought Contact was just fine. I think the MGM disc is not fine but i do think the Mondo disc looks more film like and in some scenes clearly shows more detail and thats what i want from my HD discs.
post #330 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon View Post

Cropped from the 4th shot.





I'll let you guess which is which.

And the part I mentioned...?

With any two similar transfers you'll get some scenes better on the first and other scenes better on the second.

The difference between the example you've given is there, but not huge - especially when you look at the full frame and realise how close you'd have to stand to the screen to see that difference.

As I say, it's not a question of whether we can spot differences or not.

It's a question of (a) how big the differences are (particularly in relation to the differences between the SD & original US Blu-ray Disc), and (b) whether or not the differences are consistent.

Steve W
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › The Good, The Bad and the Ugly comparison *PIX*