or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Home A/V Distribution › Actiontec MI424WR - a cheap MoCA bridge for all!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Actiontec MI424WR - a cheap MoCA bridge for all! - Page 15

post #421 of 1198
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franke46 View Post

Thanks a lot xnappo, I've seen a few locally, they are the better looking, round ones so I suppose they are the newer revisions.

Your posting is a really great contribution to avs, it should be a sticky somewhere.

Franke46

Yep - those are the ones. Thanks - glad you found it useful!
xnappo
post #422 of 1198
I only got 30~50 mbps for my connection, however, streaming 1080p content encoded at 15Mbps is not a problem. Pinging from 1 end to the other is 2ms, so it add a small bit of latency.

Replaced my powerline ethernet which can only stream 4mbps video.
post #423 of 1198
Wohooo...I snnaged one of these babies for $15 of craiglist, rev C

I just need one more to MoCa away..

Actiontech should market these routers directly to consumers, oh wait they do they are the Actiontech HME2200-02, there are several sellers online just google them. There is a single port bridge and a full router just like Verizon's.

The used Verizon one is still a better route for me but if you want them brand new, there they are.

Franke46
post #424 of 1198
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franke46 View Post

Wohooo...I snnaged one of these babies for $15 of craiglist, rev C

I just need one more to MoCa away..

Actiontech should market these routers directly to consumers, oh wait they do they are the Actiontech HME2200-02, there are several sellers online just google them. There is a single port bridge and a full router just like Verizon's.

The used Verizon one is still a better route for me but if you want them brand new, there they are.

Franke46

Note that those are Moca 1.1 - which is potentially faster than the Verizon Actiontecs which are Moca 1.0(I believe all revs, but not positive).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multime..._Coax_Alliance

xnappo
post #425 of 1198
I configured and Actiontec router as described and set up a Nim100 in another room to connect to my TiVo. If I connect the coax to the input of the nim100 and the TiVo to the output of the nim100 all is well. But if I use a splitter to go to the nim and the TiVo the network does not work but the cable is fine. If I connect the coax directly to the nim the network is fine. So I tried another splitter and different cables and it just will not work with a splitter. One splitter goes or to 2.4 GHz and the other to 1 GHz. I can't believe that it is the extra 3 Db drop from the splitter but it could be. Any ideas?
post #426 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Note that those are Moca 1.1 - which is potentially faster than the Verizon Actiontecs which are Moca 1.0(I believe all revs, but not positive).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multime..._Coax_Alliance

xnappo

I was under the impression that only the Rev. E models support MoCA 1.1 standard.
post #427 of 1198
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post

I configured and Actiontec router as described and set up a Nim100 in another room to connect to my TiVo. If I connect the coax to the input of the nim100 and the TiVo to the output of the nim100 all is well. But if I use a splitter to go to the nim and the TiVo the network does not work but the cable is fine. If I connect the coax directly to the nim the network is fine. So I tried another splitter and different cables and it just will not work with a splitter. One splitter goes or to 2.4 GHz and the other to 1 GHz. I can't believe that it is the extra 3 Db drop from the splitter but it could be. Any ideas?

Does the splitter say anything else interesting on the label?

xnappo
post #428 of 1198
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis4U2NV View Post

I was under the impression that only the Rev. E models support MoCA 1.1 standard.

I think that is correct. I meant that the MoCA adapters that are sold to the public by Actiontec (and the other companies) are all 1.1.

I would be curious to see if the people having streaming issues resolve them with a 1.1 device. Of course that is quite an investment right now(well, not THAT bad, but more than these used things).

xnappo
post #429 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Does the splitter say anything else interesting on the label?

xnappo

One of them says "power pass-through". the other one says nothing special but I have used that one in a previous house with FIOS and the same NIM100 and it worked fine. I'm going to try a diplexer later today and do some more troubleshooting with a laptop at the remote site.
post #430 of 1198
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post

One of them says "power pass-through". the other one says nothing special but I have used that one in a previous house with FIOS and the same NIM100 and it worked fine. I'm going to try a diplexer later today and do some more troubleshooting with a laptop at the remote site.

Yeah, I assume the 'power pass through' one has an arrow on one leg and is the one giving you the problem? That isn't a normal splitter... It is made for satellite systems.

xnappo
post #431 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Yeah, I assume the 'power pass through' one has an arrow on one leg and is the one giving you the problem? That isn't a normal splitter... It is made for satellite systems.

xnappo

I just tried a diplexer using the satellite side for the MOCA. That worked. I did try another splitter and it did not work either. One other thing; the RF light on the NIM100 blinks. I believe it should be steady. I'm guessing that maybe it is a low signal problem and the splitters add just enough attenuation to make it fail. I need to go outside (when the rain stops) and see if the cable amplifier is after the splitter (I have 7 cable outlets, but only 4 are being used).
post #432 of 1198
I finally figured out my problem but not a good solution. I opened up the cable box outside and the incoming Comcast feed goes to a two way splitter. One output goes to my cable/digital voice modem in my office that is connected to my main router. The other output goes to an amplifier that feeds a 7 way splitter that goes to the rest of cable outlets in the house. So my main feed has to go through the amplifier which causes the problem.

One solution might be to replace the two way splitter with a 5 way splitter that would feed the main cable modem, the three rooms where I need MOCA, and the amplifier.

Not sure if I would have enough signal from the five way splitter to the TVs and the modem.

I also have an unused cable outlet in a room near the main office and I could potentially run either a CAT5 or Coax from my office to the nearby room. Unfortunately there is no straightforward way to run the cable that has an acceptable WAF.

Any thoughts?
post #433 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post

I finally figured out my problem but not a good solution. I opened up the cable box outside and the incoming Comcast feed goes to a two way splitter. One output goes to my cable/digital voice modem in my office that is connected to my main router. The other output goes to an amplifier that feeds a 7 way splitter that goes to the rest of cable outlets in the house. So my main feed has to go through the amplifier which causes the problem.

One solution might be to replace the two way splitter with a 5 way splitter that would feed the main cable modem, the three rooms where I need MOCA, and the amplifier.

As a last resort, you could always use a pair of 802.11n WiFi routers to go from the room with the cable modem to the unused cable outlet in the next room. Then from there, to the MoCA adapter, where you will be downstream from the amplifier.
post #434 of 1198


I haven't tried this yet bec I still have "old" satellite technology and would need to upgrade to a SWM sat so as to free up a needed coax line.

Is this going to work?
LL
post #435 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post

I finally figured out my problem but not a good solution. I opened up the cable box outside and the incoming Comcast feed goes to a two way splitter. One output goes to my cable/digital voice modem in my office that is connected to my main router. The other output goes to an amplifier that feeds a 7 way splitter that goes to the rest of cable outlets in the house. So my main feed has to go through the amplifier which causes the problem.

One solution might be to replace the two way splitter with a 5 way splitter that would feed the main cable modem, the three rooms where I need MOCA, and the amplifier.

Not sure if I would have enough signal from the five way splitter to the TVs and the modem.

I also have an unused cable outlet in a room near the main office and I could potentially run either a CAT5 or Coax from my office to the nearby room. Unfortunately there is no straightforward way to run the cable that has an acceptable WAF.

Any thoughts?

It's not optimal but you could replace the 2-way splitter and the 7-way splitter with an 8-way splitter. The only downside to that is you need to be sure that the amp will not block the upstream communication for the cable modem. Do you have STBs connected to the 7-way splitter now? Does PPV/On-Demand work? Also this is a data only Cable Modem or data/voice eMTA?

Edit: I should have completely read your post more carefully. You do have an eMTA for voice and data so you really don't want an active component between like an amp between eMTA and the cable network. The only other thing I would suggest is again replace that 7-way splitter with an 8-way and run a second coax line between your MoCA bridge in the office and the splitter. You can just tie that second coax cable to the coax line that feeds the eMTA. Or another possibility is to use two Diplexers on the run to the office to the splitters (again you will need to replace the 7-way with an 8-way). One Diplexer would be in the office where the eMTA would plug into the "TV" side and the MoCA bridge would connect to the "SAT" side. The IN/OUT port on the Diplexer would connect to the Cable coming out of the wall. Back at the "box" where the Cable services comes in, the cable coming from the office would plug into the IN/OUT port on the Diplexer, the Diplexer TV port would connect to the two way splitter, and the SAT port would connect to the 8-way splitter. This way the MoCA signal (at approximately 1-1.2Ghz) is split off before it gets to the amplifier. The only two problems in this scenario is that you need to make sure the Diplexer passes 0-860Mhz on the TV side and depending on the signal strength...I have seen Diplexers cause upstream communication problems with the eMTA / Cable modem in large coax networks (mine for instance) but I don't think it would be a problem here.
post #436 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

As a last resort, you could always use a pair of 802.11n WiFi routers to go from the room with the cable modem to the unused cable outlet in the next room. Then from there, to the MoCA adapter, where you will be downstream from the amplifier.

Thanks for your reply. This sounds like a good solution except I don't know off the top of my head how to get tow wireless routers to talk to each other when one is not connected to a computer. I'll have to research it.
post #437 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmallory View Post

It's not optimal but you could replace the 2-way splitter and the 7-way splitter with an 8-way splitter. The only downside to that is you need to be sure that the amp will not block the upstream communication for the cable modem. Do you have STBs connected to the 7-way splitter now? Does PPV/On-Demand work? Also this is a data only Cable Modem or data/voice eMTA?

Edit: I should have completely read your post more carefully. You do have an eMTA for voice and data so you really don't want an active component between like an amp between eMTA and the cable network. The only other thing I would suggest is again replace that 7-way splitter with an 8-way and run a second coax line between your MoCA bridge in the office and the splitter. You can just tie that second coax cable to the coax line that feeds the eMTA. Or another possibility is to use two Diplexers on the run to the office to the splitters (again you will need to replace the 7-way with an 8-way). One Diplexer would be in the office where the eMTA would plug into the "TV" side and the MoCA bridge would connect to the "SAT" side. The IN/OUT port on the Diplexer would connect to the Cable coming out of the wall. Back at the "box" where the Cable services comes in, the cable coming from the office would plug into the IN/OUT port on the Diplexer, the Diplexer TV port would connect to the two way splitter, and the SAT port would connect to the 8-way splitter. This way the MoCA signal (at approximately 1-1.2Ghz) is split off before it gets to the amplifier. The only two problems in this scenario is that you need to make sure the Diplexer passes 0-860Mhz on the TV side and depending on the signal strength...I have seen Diplexers cause upstream communication problems with the eMTA / Cable modem in large coax networks (mine for instance) but I don't think it would be a problem here.

Thanks for the reply. This sounds like a neat solution and have a bunch of diplexers lying around from my Directtv days. I could actually keep the 7/1 splitter and just disconnect one of the unused ports.

Great forum. I post a problem and I get two great solutions that I never thought of.
post #438 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post

Thanks for your reply. This sounds like a good solution except I don't know off the top of my head how to get tow wireless routers to talk to each other when one is not connected to a computer. I'll have to research it.

Wireless Bridge

Link
post #439 of 1198
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmallory View Post


Edit: I should have completely read your post more carefully. You do have an eMTA for voice and data so you really don't want an active component between like an amp between eMTA and the cable network.

I actually have mine setup that way without issue - however my 'forward' amplifier passes through the return path AND I have a 'return path' amplifier.

This is a great place for amps:
http://www.yourbroadbandstore.com/category.php?cat=ML

I bought this one since my amp already passed through return path:
http://www.yourbroadbandstore.com/pr...php?pid=716497

If your current amp does not pass through the return signal, you could get one of these two:
http://www.yourbroadbandstore.com/pr...php?pid=712655
http://www.yourbroadbandstore.com/pr...php?pid=712654

Good luck!
xnappo
post #440 of 1198
What I was getting at was that is that for the eMTA you want a passive network that way if the power goes out...you will at least have phone service until the battery in the eMTA is exhausted. If you have an active amp in there, then when the power goes out, you lose your phone (unless you have your amp on a UPS as well). It may not be a big deal for some people but is always something you should consider.

In our old townhouse, I had a VoIP Bypass Amp. The VoIP port was passive, the TV port had +10 db of amplification. Since we moved, our new townhouse gets enough signal power from the pedestal that an amp is not necessary. In fact, with the amp it was overloading my HD Homerun and DCTs even though the signal went through a 3-way and a 2-way splitter between the demarc and the office where the HTPC is.
post #441 of 1198
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmallory View Post


In our old townhouse, I had a VoIP Bypass Amp. The VoIP port was passive, the TV port had +10 db of amplification. Since we moved, our new townhouse gets enough signal power from the pedestal that an amp is not necessary. In fact, with the amp it was overloading my HD Homerun and DCTs even though the signal went through a 3-way and a 2-way splitter between the demarc and the office where the HTPC is.

Ah - okay gotcha. Yeah, my amp isn't on an UPS - I will have to remember that if the power goes out

xnappo
post #442 of 1198
Why can the "on demand" requests go back through the amplifier but not the MOCA signal?
post #443 of 1198
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post

Why can the "on demand" requests go back through the amplifier but not the MOCA signal?

Signals back to the cable Co are all in the frequencies below 100Mhz. The equipment only passes through those frequencies. MoCA is >=1GHz. That said - in an apartment I would use the security feature because it is possible that multiple units might run from the same tap.

xnappo
post #444 of 1198
The original power adapter on one of my units failed. I got a replacement from eBay that works. I thought I would offer it up as an option to any looking to buy a power adapter from a US seller. It is model GFP181U-0530 from user 6ubuy6 for 9.99 with shipping included:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180434587056
post #445 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Signals back to the cable Co are all in the frequencies below 100Mhz. The equipment only passes through those frequencies. MoCA is >=1GHz. That said - in an apartment I would use the security feature because it is possible that multiple units might run from the same tap.

xnappo

Is there overhead (i.e. when using WPA over wifi) when using the security/privacy feature over MOCA, or is it negligible?

Anyone test thoroughput with it enabled and disabled?
post #446 of 1198
First thing's first...thanks OP for this!!!

I'm using an Actiontec MI424-WR rev. E as my main unit. I have a rev. D downstairs. I'm able to stream from upstairs (Windows XP running haneWIN NFS Server) to downstairs (WD HDTV Live) without any issues whatsoever.

My former setup was a Linksys WRT160N (w/ DD-WRT) connected to my rev. E via CAT5 then another WRT160N connected to my WD HDTV Live. The 2 WRT160N's were connected wirelessly via WDS. This setup gave me inconsistent results. Most of the time, the stream was fine, then it would start stuttering after several minutes.

I've had my original rev. D for 2 years and recently got a rev. E when I signed up for an upgraded FiOS bandwidth service (actually, I also complained that my old one wasn't providing TV guide for my FiOS STB's.). I came across this thread and wish I did before I bought my Linksys WRT160N units (I have 5 of them!).
post #447 of 1198
Excellent information here. I got 2 of the Actiontec routers from ebay. The setup was pretty easy, thanks to xnappo!

I am able to stream movies encoded at 25 Mbps without issues to my HTPC running XP SP2. However, when trying to stream a 40 Mbps CBR file, the movie stutters (file plays fine on local drive). The network seemed to max out at 33 Mbps. I am using SMB. The streaming is actually worst when using NFS in this case. I believe chadw01 asked about setting the TCP window size in this post. I assume no one figured out if that is possible. I don't see it any where browsing through the advance settings.

Testing with iperf, I am able get about 80 Mbps (both directions) when the TCP window size is set to 128kb. One thing interesting is that if I copy a large file across the network (Windows file share copy) I also get about 33 Mbps. However, if I initiate another file copy, the network speed will bump up to 57 Mbps. If another one is initiated, the network will, again, bump up to close to 80 Mbps. It almost seems like there's the speed cap for each TCP connection. Although I am not sure why iperf wasn't affected.

I've been trying for weeks tweaking the XP network, and sever side settings, etc. and still can't break the cap. Anyone else have any new info regarding router settings?

Thanks,
MSL
post #448 of 1198
I just noticed something the last couple of days. The coax LAN light used to be solid green. I added 3 fios STB's into the mix, now the coax light is flashing green. Everything still seems to be working though. All STB's get the TV guide, widgets, etc. Just the coax light flashing green. Last night, the coax light went out altogether, but everything's still working. I just rebooted my main MI424-WR router, and it came back on flashing. All 3 of my MI424-WR routers have this flashing coax light now. Anyone know what this means? Anyone else experiece similar?
post #449 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineMan View Post

I just noticed something the last couple of days. The coax LAN light used to be solid green. I added 3 fios STB's into the mix, now the coax light is flashing green. Everything still seems to be working though. All STB's get the TV guide, widgets, etc. Just the coax light flashing green. Last night, the coax light went out altogether, but everything's still working. I just rebooted my main MI424-WR router, and it came back on flashing. All 3 of my MI424-WR routers have this flashing coax light now. Anyone know what this means? Anyone else experiece similar?

I know on the NIM-100 that a flashing green means low signal. Could be the same. My NIM-100 worked OK with the flashing but it later went out and did not work until I fixed my wiring.
post #450 of 1198
What kind of Low Pass filter do you use to block the MOCA signal for a HTPC using the new Centon Card ?

It been noted in articles like this: http://hd.engadget.com/2010/03/30/ce...-tuner-review/

"The helpful Ceton support crew really came though and discovered that MoCA traffic on channel 1150Mhz was the culprit. We just disabled the MoCA LAN interface since we don't use it, but you can also use a different MoCA channel or install a low pass filter."

* I hope this is the right place to ask this question !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home A/V Distribution
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Home A/V Distribution › Actiontec MI424WR - a cheap MoCA bridge for all!