or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › CRT Projectors › Chief EVCM-100D heavy duty electric lift/mount
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chief EVCM-100D heavy duty electric lift/mount

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Anyone know where I can get one of these. Chief EVCM-100D heavy duty electric lift/mount. I don't want to hang my XG from the ceiling until I find one.
post #2 of 26
Hello

Those show up on Videogon.com and Ebay on occasion. Check also AVS Marketplace and CurtPalme.com Buy/Sell section.


.
post #3 of 26
actually, my xg wasn't as hard to hang as I thought. But, an electric power lift wouldv'e been nice
post #4 of 26
I rented a Genie lift and cranked up my 10PG by myself. Cost me about $40.

I considered the winch method, but decided that the extra effort vs. the ability to drop it whenever I wanted was not worth it. For an hour and $40, I could do it several times for the price of the lift.
post #5 of 26
Very interesting and looks practical as well. I see Genie has several lift models. Which one did you rent and from where in the Atlanta area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post

I rented a Genie lift and cranked up my 10PG by myself. Cost me about $40.

I considered the winch method, but decided that the extra effort vs. the ability to drop it whenever I wanted was not worth it. For an hour and $40, I could do it several times for the price of the lift.
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 View Post

Very interesting and looks practical as well. I see Genie has several lift models. Which one did you rent and from where in the Atlanta area?

Here you go. http://www.northsidetoolrental.com/c...ew2.asp?ID=348

Used it to lift my 225 lb. NEC 10PG. The lift is a beast, but breaks down for transport.
post #7 of 26
If you can find one, it is a nice thing to have.





Mike
post #8 of 26
They are big but I also used a Genie lift. Its easy and safe. Ironically we had one at my house. But I was going to rent one. Its not like you are doing this all the time. Who cares if you are lifting with an expensive ultra smooth hydraulic mount. The point is to get it up there. Or is it that you are trying to get it to retract up into the ceiling when its not being used?
post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 
I want to go with the Chief lift, so I can easily take it down, and put it up again if it ever needs servicing. What are the lifts worth now? How much should I expect to pay for one on the used market?
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by daves12 View Post

I want to go with the Chief lift, so I can easily take it down, and put it up again if it ever needs servicing. What are the lifts worth now? How much should I expect to pay for one on the used market?

I think draganm sold one on Videogon about year ago, it went for about $275, if my memory serves me correct, which seems like a lot but it sold rather quickly & since you can buy a decent XG now for $300-$500 it doesn't seem like much of a value.

I think I paid $185 but that was 8 years ago. It kind of just depends on what you can find. I'm not sure I would hold off installing your projector waiting for one, they seem to few and far between these days. Sad but when I go digital at some point the lift will most likely be worth more than the salvage value of the projector.

Mike
post #11 of 26
I mounted my 240lb Sony G90 to the ceiling using one of these winches. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44006
It's still in place so if I ever need to take it down, I can. To be honest though most servicing you may want to do can be done with the pj in situ. No need to drop.
post #12 of 26
I bought my Genie Lift GL-8 for $125. from ebay. It has made it possible for me to mount two different Marquee's, and my current Barco BG808S my self without any assistance. Also, I can throw it in the back of my Legacy wagon and help others mount their projectors if need be, I do not regret paying $125. for it, its been well worth having it in the garage all these years...
post #13 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis View Post

I mounted my 240lb Sony G90 to the ceiling using one of these winches. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44006
It's still in place so if I ever need to take it down, I can. To be honest though most servicing you may want to do can be done with the pj in situ. No need to drop.


That winch looks like it may be a good solution. A store near my house has them on sale for $80. I'm just not sure about the mounting of it, and the projector. Could you explain, or maybe take a picture of how you have it all rigged up?
post #14 of 26
Hi Lewis,
I bought a hydraulic lift table from one of the online auction sites for AUD $230.00. It has a lifting capacity of 300kg but only lifts up to 1metre (39 inches). To overcome the lifting height problem I built wooden frame out of pine framing timber 3ft X 2ft X 4ft high. This was sat on the table then the trolley/table cranked up to the required height of my Barco BG1209.
I also rigged up four adjustable shelving uprights (floor to ceiling) around around the PJ as a standby support. I used 1"X1" RHS (Rectangular Hollow Section) steel as the support bars. The projector was lowered down to 4ft then supported by the steel bars. The wooden frame removed the table cranked up again and the PJ finally lowered. Working on the PJ was a breeze because I could crank up the table to a comfortable working height
I replaced the coolant on all three guns along with the expansion tubing. The guns were left sitting on the table for a week with no obvious signs of leaks.
I used the same method in lifting the PJ up. It was just up for a night when I noticed fluid weeping from one of the tubes so down came the projector again. The offending tube has been fixed and the PJ hoisted will be hoisted up after making sure there are no more leaks
I was going to buy one of those electric hoists and mount it in the ceiling but they have a lifting/lowering speed of 12ft/min which is too fast for my liking.
I could post pictures of my contraption on the web if anyone is interested
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by daves12 View Post

That winch looks like it may be a good solution. A store near my house has them on sale for $80. I'm just not sure about the mounting of it, and the projector. Could you explain, or maybe take a picture of how you have it all rigged up?

There are 2 mounting points on the winch through which I inserted sturdy metal piping. This was in turn supported between 2 rafters in the roof space. The winch is fairly compact and easily fit in the space between the joists. The cable and hook were dropped thorough a hole in the ceiling. I secured the upper half of the PSS90 mount to different points in the ceiling so the winch and the mount didn't share the same load bearing areas.
The trickiest bit was creating an 'X' using wire cable to which the winch hook was attached for hoisting. It was impt to find the centre point to balance the weight, and be strong enough to support, the G90. It was a cinch after that.

Speed wasn't an issue and feathering the button allowed me to make fine adjustments. The wire itself does have a little stretch in it which helps to absorb any jolts.
post #16 of 26
Take a look at another method of mounting the lift (same like levis's, ebay - about $80.00):

http://www.kbconsulting.com/ampro.html

I used 4 pieces of unistrut to mount it as high in the opening as possible, but still couldn't hide it completely. I had to construct about 0.5" thick frame with sliding door to conceal it, but it turned out it is really invisible.
Don, I thought about the speed too. What concerned me was start/stop shock, which I thought could be potentially dangerous. To mitigate the issue, I used 4 nylon straps to hang the PJ from the hook. Being elastic, they behaved like shock absorbers.
I both dropped the old PJ. Marquee 8000 - and yes, I used this lift temporarily attached to unistrut holding old PJ (in slightly different location, because of different throw distance and size of the screen), and lifted the Ampro without any issue.

Kris

PS of course after I hang it, I could replace (one at the time) the rods with shorter ones... I just got lazy

K.
post #17 of 26
Thread Starter 
I like that setup. Thanks for the link with the pics. I'd like to do pretty much the same thing. My theater room is in the basement, the ceiling is drywalled, and painted black, but I can easily cut a section out to mount the hoist. The mounting is where i'm a little worried. My basement has I Beam trusses for the ceiling. Would it be safe to lag bolt some steel angles to the sides of these at the top, then run a piece of unistrut attached to the steel angles to hang the winch?
post #18 of 26
You are welcome! I'm pretty proud of this installation , so of course I am willing to show it to anybody interested. By the way, if you are in the area, you are more than welcome to see it in person (Your profile doesn't say location, so I have no idea).
As for your question: Hmm... I am not structural engineer, so I am not really qualified to answer the question definitively, but I vaguely remember one of discussions here or on www.curtpalme.com (If you didn't find it yet, it's THE ULTIMATE CRT Site in the world, no kidding, and Curt is super nice, and super knowledgeable fellow, always ready to help). The conclusion of it (the discussion) was, that I beam should be reinforced on both sides since it wasn't designed to withstand twisting, torque force.
It would also apply to hanging PJ itself of course, even more so, since in case of PJ the force is applied for the long time.
Hope somebody more knowledgeable will chime in, I suppose the question is relevant for many CRTers.

Kris
post #19 of 26
Thread Starter 
I am familiar with Curt's site. I found the thread you were talking about over there. Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't even think to look there.

I'm still very confused about reinforcing the beams. There seems to be a lot of conflicting info.
post #20 of 26
Not sure if I remember correctly, but somebody (on either site), who is master carpenter was saying, that it should be done with long pieces of wood (maybe plywood or such, don't remember...). They should be fitting tightly within beam's indentations on both sides, and should be glued-in and screwed-in.
I guess you could also install cross braces (right angle to I beams), to prevent them from twisting.
Unless some pro chips-in (start another thread with more appropriate title - like "how to hang PJ off the I-beam"), maybe you should consult actual carpenter?
I have no idea how big is the risk of beam's failure if you don't reinforce it, or do it incorrectly (for starters, you would have to know both it's theoretical limit, and actual load), but those PJs ARE heavy, and best seat is almost exactly under the beast ...
I made sure I could hang off EACH of mounting points (~180lb), but mine are regular beams... They didn't budge at all.

Kris

In case you want to try NOT to reinforce those beams, remember being courteous to your mother-in-law can pay back big time .

K.
post #21 of 26
There was an animated gif of someone's setup that they had done at one time. they had placed 4 chains at the corners of the CRT and had lifted it 4"-6" at a time using S-hooks. 1/4ish of 200lbs is not that bad to lift. Quite ingenious I thought and since my company has samples of steel hand chain for rolling steel doors, I've got a perfect source for free chain. Many samples floating around my office so this is how I'm going to go to mount the Runco DTV-1100.
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.berger View Post

Not sure if I remember correctly, but somebody (on either site), who is master carpenter was saying, that it should be done with long pieces of wood (maybe plywood or such, don't remember...). They should be fitting tightly within beam's indentations on both sides, and should be glued-in and screwed-in.
I guess you could also install cross braces (right angle to I beams), to prevent them from twisting.
Unless some pro chips-in (start another thread with more appropriate title - like "how to hang PJ off the I-beam"), maybe you should consult actual carpenter?
I have no idea how big is the risk of beam's failure if you don't reinforce it, or do it incorrectly (for starters, you would have to know both it's theoretical limit, and actual load), but those PJs ARE heavy, and best seat is almost exactly under the beast ...
I made sure I could hang off EACH of mounting points (~180lb), but mine are regular beams... They didn't budge at all.

Kris

In case you want to try NOT to reinforce those beams, remember being courteous to your mother-in-law can pay back big time .

K.

Here's what I did to support my 10PG (225 lbs.) from engineered wood joist/rafters. I ran 2x6's tightly between the trusses within the web (the skinny part of the beam) , just above the stringer portion (the thick part) one for the front of the mount, one for the rear. Leave about four inches between them. End glue (using Liquid Nails) and screw them in. Then, add another 2x6 between the stringers, flush with the ones you just installed. Drill pilot holes and screw them to the stringer, through the ends. Screw them (the 6" flat sides) into the previously installed supports. I used glue here, as well. Once that is all in place, cut 10 pieces of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood 4" wide by the depth of your beams (mine were 12"). Glue and screw them vertically between the top and bottom stringers of the beam, on the outside of the beam at the midpoints of the 2x6's you added, and outside the 4" gap you left between the 2x6 supports. That's six. Screw and glue the remaining four plywood strips inside the beams right at the edges of the new 2x6's. Basically, you have now reinforced the web of the beam, so the stress of hanging from the stringers does not pull the beam apart. Then, you have placed the load firmly on the bottom of the stringers right at the web. The load is distributed throughout the entire beam. You can hang an elephant from it.

I did this in the gaps between three beams to get enough width for my unistrut rig for the pj.
post #23 of 26
That would be how master Clarence hung his G90. I don't remember where he posted the little gif, but if you PM him, I am sure he could be of assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_Fan View Post

There was an animated gif of someone's setup that they had done at one time. they had placed 4 chains at the corners of the CRT and had lifted it 4"-6" at a time using S-hooks. 1/4ish of 200lbs is not that bad to lift. Quite ingenious I thought and since my company has samples of steel hand chain for rolling steel doors, I've got a perfect source for free chain. Many samples floating around my office so this is how I'm going to go to mount the Runco DTV-1100.
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellenerSptM5 View Post

That would be how master Clarence hung his G90. I don't remember where he posted the little gif, but if you PM him, I am sure he could be of assistance.

Looks to be a Marquee but I think this is the one your talking about. Very cool looking.



This thread:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewt...r=asc&&start=0

Mike
post #25 of 26
I used the winch off/on my neighbors jeep coming through the window using a couple of "wheels"!

I realize that this might be a weird method to do this...but hey the PJ got up there!

Oh and make sure you have one of those $40 inflatable king size beds under it just in case!

..once mounted you are probably not gonna be taking it down...so 300 bucks for a electric winch could be better spent on a better VP or Source device!

Martin
post #26 of 26

I happen to have one of these "chief evcm-100d magna lifts.  Email me as I believe i have an additional unit as well, but dont have the specific size.  Email me if you are interested...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: CRT Projectors
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › CRT Projectors › Chief EVCM-100D heavy duty electric lift/mount