In January the HDMI website released some details on the HDMI 1.4 specs in this press release. In April Silicon Image, which is one of the HDMI Founders, said that the HDMI 1.4 specs would be released this quarter. Articles on HDMI 1.4 can be found at BusinessWire, Engadget, Gizmodo, Twice, and Yahoo. The HDMI website has also released an official list of the new HDMI 1.4 features:
- 3D Over HDMI which will standardize input/output of 3D video and will specify up to dual-stream 1080p resolution.
- 4K x 2K support which allows support for resolutions of 3840x2160 at 24/25/30 Hz and 4096x2160 at 24Hz.
- Audio Return Channel (ARC) allows for standard lossy audio to be sent back from the display to the AV receiver.
- Automatic Content Enhancement (ACE) which is the ability to automatically optimize the TV's picture settings based on content type.
- Automotive Connection System is a HDMI cabling specification designed for vehicles.
- Expanded Support For Color Spaces adds additional color spaces such as sYCC601, Adobe RGB, and AdobeYCC601.
- HDMI Ethernet Channel (HEC) allows for an up to 100 Mbps connection between HDMI 1.4 devices and will require a new HDMI 1.4 cable which will be graded either low data rate or high data rate.
- HDMI Type D connector is a new HDMI connector for very small devices such as cellphones which is described in this Engadget article.