I enjoyed the S4 opener for the most part.
Things I liked:
- New girl Marley. Melissa has teriffic voice and absolutely nailed Chasing Pavementss
- Glee kids realizing that the cost of being part of the "In crowd" interms of their true selves was too high to pay
- Scenes between Marley and her mom which were played beautifully by both actresses with great sensativity
- The great Mike O'Malley just killing it in his farewell scene with Chris Colfer. He is just plain wonderful
- Musical numbers were very good, although Kate Hudson's was a bit too long
- Rachel and Kurt. I was curious to see how the show runners were going to handle their returning alums and I think that they pulled it off. Rachel's trials in NY and Kurt's being totally out of place in Lima were well done. Their reunion in NY played against Marley's singing Chasing Pavements was very touching. Did anyone notice the little audo trick during that scene when after Rachel was crying into her cell phone and Kurt spoke, it didn't sound like he was on a cell at all but almost right next to her? Nice little piece of business that.
Things that I wasn't thrilled about:
- Yet another vicious Cheerio? Sorry but it didn't worjk for me and the actress had no appeal at all. She was too harsh in her portrayal
- Hints that Sue would revert back to her old form? After Jane Lynch's softening of Sue's character last season, this one wouldn't make a lot of sense
- Unique. Sorry (and I fully support full rights for the LGBT community) but this is gonna get real old, real quick for me if it's a 24/7 deal.
Another Brittany Spears theme tonight? God help us