or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread - Page 12

post #331 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

toomuchtv,

The key question is how often will the extra amp oomph! matter for the majority of owners? I would contend that most of the time, it won't. It's a non-issue for most.

Now, if you've got difficult speakers to drive, play them very loud in a larger room, by all means, amp power w/lower distortion should be an elevated concern and a key purchasing consideration. But a blanket statement along the lines of "the amp section is gutted therefore you should avoid", is not very good advice either, especially if a potential user doesn't require a ton of amp power and there are new features that might have real usefulness to them in the so-called "gutted" lighter, new receiver.

In the case of the vsx-1019, better ipod/iphone versatility and user-friendliness, multi-channel ALC control, among a couple other new upgrades. Now, if none of those matter to a person AND they want to play it safe and have a more powerful amp 'just in case', by all means, a previous generation pioneer, yamaha, etc., might be warranted.

In other words, sweeping generalizations are not helpful. It could scare off someone for whom this receiver might be the best choice.

Yes yes , this is why we all put in R 2 cents , so people get the whole story and not just one side !! My needs may be the same as some and not of others ! Tell me more of this "multi-channel ALC control" you speak of , Is not all ALC controls work for all channels ?
post #332 of 5121
@tomuchtv
Quote:
That may sound like what a troll may say to a newbe. But some of the new crop of AVRs in the $400 range have losted a few pounds Pioneer 1018 to 1019 , and the yamaha 663 to 665 , just to name a few . Onkyo and denon are still in their same weigth class. What does that all mean, the amp section still has balls basicly and music will sound clear . The marketing people use high THD levels about ten times more THD to keep the wattage figures level with units in the price range , but this is an old trick from the 70's.. Please don't hate me cause I pointed this out !! Overall the pioneer may work for you, but for about the same money you could get better ..

Really? You're judging audio equipment by weight? LOL That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. I've got some barbells that I'll duct tape some speaker wire to and sell it to you for $500. They weigh a lot more than this amp and I'm sure they will be a perfect fit for your discriminating taste.

As technology advances, we should expect products to evolve and if they shed some weight but still produce the same quality (or even superior quality) sound, who cares?

My speakers are bigger than yours... My amp weighs more than yours... Sounds like someone is just overcompensating for something else. Judge audio equipment but the audio it produces.
post #333 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetype94306 View Post

Really? You're judging audio equipment by weight? LOL That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. I've got some barbells that I'll duct tape some speaker wire to and sell it to you for $500. They weigh a lot more than this amp and I'm sure they will be a perfect fit for your discriminating taste.

As technology advances, we should expect products to evolve and if they shed some weight but still produce the same quality (or even superior quality) sound, who cares?

My speakers are bigger than yours... My amp weighs more than yours... Sounds like someone is just overcompensating for something else. Judge audio equipment but the audio it produces.

Very funny but not far from the truth.. But not much has changed in amp tech to knock off 33% in weight.. I'm just saying its something to think about . Onkyo made its 607 smaller in size but not in weight . They all use the same type of amps , just that some are just cheaper than others.
post #334 of 5121
/
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjnevada View Post

question for you (fellow newbe )......do you own one of these AVR's? and if not what makes you so qualified to comment on anything about performance? Oh weight I forgot...............

Yes I have used all but the 1019 , after checking out the denon 789/1909 its a keeper , if you don't believe weight doesn't mean anything in this price range , you are only fooling yourself , call me old school .I just may take home a 1019 from BB this weekend to see if you know whats any good. I have always gone with has worked in the past , you may be right and these feather weight amps got what it takes . I'm open minded and can change with the times !
post #335 of 5121
gpjnevada...
I'm (im)patiently waiting for my 919 to arrive from J&R on Tuesday, so I'm pleased to hear your positive comments about yours. One question came to mind as I've been reading the posts... can you use only the HDMI cable to send the GUI to the TV, or do you have to use a component or composite cable? The reason I ask is because with the 819, the GUI will not work over HDMI. You have to use one of the other connections, which I find a bit odd. Maybe you or someone with the 1019 could confirm the situation with the better receivers?

Thanks!

RTP
post #336 of 5121
Hi folks, I've had a 1019 for a couple weeks now and really like it. I've found the ALC (auto level control) really does tame commercial loudness, and use it for TV (digital cable) exclusively. I also like the dialog enhancement feature, seems to boost the clarity of center speaker spoken words.

For movies I've been playing around with the advanced surround settings, really like the action setting for that type of movie. And rock/pop setting for music video stations like Palladia.
post #337 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpelltier View Post

gpjnevada...
I'm (im)patiently waiting for my 919 to arrive from J&R on Tuesday, so I'm pleased to hear your positive comments about yours. One question came to mind as I've been reading the posts... can you use only the HDMI cable to send the GUI to the TV, or do you have to use a component or composite cable? The reason I ask is because with the 819, the GUI will not work over HDMI. You have to use one of the other connections, which I find a bit odd. Maybe you or someone with the 1019 could confirm the situation with the better receivers?

Thanks!

RTP

My 919 shows the GUI via HDMI
post #338 of 5121
Thanks profitman!

That's good news. I appreciate the quick reply.

RTP
post #339 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomuchtv View Post

.......Tell me more of this "multi-channel ALC control" you speak of , Is not all ALC controls work for all channels ?

This auto level control feature (akin to your Denon's Dynamic Volume) was only available via 2 channel for previous generation Pioneer receivers, such as the vsx1018, and the two Elite 01 & 03 models. This year, this feature is available to 5 channel, not just 2. Might even be 7 channel, I forget.

Your Denon is a very good receiver, no question, and very likely would have been my choice if not for Pioneer. My main reason for leaning in Pioneer's direction is the ability to override it's MCACC EQ settings, making modifications on top of what it has configured for your room/speakers, then allowing you to save as many as 6 different user profiles. I need this as I have multiple listening scenarios (mainly, different common seating positions; workspace desk, sofa, etc).

With Denon's version of Audyssey, you cannot override it's settings without losing those settings. As soon as you go into manual EQ mode, you lose everything Audyssey has done. At least that was the case in previous years, but I don't think they've changed that for their new receiver lineup.
post #340 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by profitman View Post

My 919 shows the GUI via HDMI

This is another nice thing about the new Pioneer receivers, the 919 and 1019, specifically. Previous generation models would require the second non-hdmi cable in order to get the GUI, which kinda defeated the ability to streamline the cable connections by going with the single hdmi cable in the first place.
post #341 of 5121
Oh, does it? Good. For some reason, I didn't think this was true for the 1018.
post #342 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjnevada View Post

Troll much?

Believe it or not, some companies are capable of producing excellent products in small packages, just like Pioneer has done with these receivers. I'll bet you can think of more than a few great products in small packages

Cristina Aguilera? (Sorry, couldn't resist )
post #343 of 5121
Can't speak for 7 channel ALC (I have a 5.1 system) but ALC on the 1019 definitely supports 5!
post #344 of 5121
I bought the vsx-1019 yesterday and am having trouble with playing the video from my PS3. I have my cable hooked up via hdmi to the 1019 and then the 1019 to the tv via hdmi. The cable audio and video are working fine and the sound is coming through the hdmi from the ps3 but no video. Any suggestions?
post #345 of 5121
Have you changed your video settings in the PS3 to HDMI?
Also are you using the BD input on your 1019? I am and it plays very well.
post #346 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjnevada View Post

Troll much?

Believe it or not, some companies are capable of producing excellent products in small packages, just like Pioneer has done with these receivers. I'll bet you can think of more than a few great products in small packages

Orb Audio speakers!
post #347 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjnevada View Post

PRESS THE RED BUTTON

thankyou,thankyouIllbehereallnightanypioneerfansintheaudienc e?

(great button - already bookmarked)...
post #348 of 5121
New 1019 owner with a strange setup problem that I encountered today.
I searched and could not find any similar posts.
I have an old Series 2 TiVo hooked up to the receiver via composite (yellow analog cable) and the HDMI output image on my Pioneer 5080 is in a completely red hue.

On a side note, is the GUI/On-screen display red also? Mine is.
Also, is the iPod display red? Mine is.
post #349 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMatson View Post

New 1019 owner with a strange setup problem that I encountered today.
I searched and could not find any similar posts.
I have an old Series 2 TiVo hooked up to the receiver via composite (yellow analog cable) and the HDMI output image on my Pioneer 5080 is in a completely red hue.

On a side note, is the GUI/On-screen display red also? Mine is.
Also, is the iPod display red? Mine is.

The GUI display is more like a silver/white color on a black background. Sounds like you have HDMI output issues from the receiver to your TV. Has it been like this from the beginning?

Are you sure you have a good HDMI cable? Have you tried reseating the HDMI cable ends?

Did you check your TV for HDMI setting that might be wrong?
post #350 of 5121
Thanks for the HDMI suggestion.
I switched HDMI inputs on the TV and the problem is solved.
Strange...Pioneer to Pioneer. The HDMI cable is from Monoprice. It works on input 5 but not input 4 on the PDP5080.
And yes, this is my first day with the new receiver.
post #351 of 5121
I have the Samsung cable box connected via HDMI cable to the HDMI1 slot in the AV receiver. The receiver is connected via HDMI cable to the TV. I get picture but no sound.

The Program Format Indicators (p9 of manual) does not show anything.

Additional info: DVD player works fine, so I know it's not related to speaker setup. Connecting the cable box directly to TV works fine for sound. Additionally, it was working fine before. So I don't know if I reset something that caused it not to give me sound. (I also have the cable box connected directly to TV for the option of not having the AV on, via component cables.)

If the solution is not obvious, is there a way to reset the receiver to factory defaults? As mentioned, it was working fine before I started fiddling with it.

Thanks,

VK
post #352 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjnevada View Post

You may have to change a setting in the cable box to output audio through HDMI. There is obviously an audio wire running from the cable box to the TV if you are using component and getting sound.

Does your cable box have HDMI out or DVI out? My Scientific Atlanta cable box had only DVI out and I had to use a DVI to HDMI cable for video to the TV. This setup did not allow for sending audio over cable and I had to use an optical cable from the cable box to the receiver.

Samsung SMT-H3050 with HDMI out (no DVI). So I am not aware of an internal out. I also connected the TV directly to cable box via HDMI and I get both sound and picture. Further more, as mentioned, it was working before. So I must have done something wrong accidentally when I was fiddling with the Input Setup? But thanks for the suggestion.
post #353 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjnevada View Post

You may have to change a setting in the cable box to output audio through HDMI. There is obviously an audio wire running from the cable box to the TV if you are using component and getting sound.

Does your cable box have HDMI out or DVI out? My Scientific Atlanta cable box had only DVI out and I had to use a DVI to HDMI cable for video to the TV. This setup did not allow for sending audio over cable and I had to use an optical cable from the cable box to the receiver.

Actually, you are right. I didn't know I could change the output setting from for the cable box. I was looking at the back instead of the software setting. Learn that from another thread on this forum. It was on Dolby AC-3; changed it to HDMI. Working now. It must have reset when I had rebooted the box.

Thank you!
post #354 of 5121
Thought I'd post this info. I just added an external hard drive to my 1019 that is loaded with music and photos. The music is my small CD collection (116 CD's) that I ripped at 320kps and the sound quality is decent. I've also have about 3 years worth of photo's (2,100) on the drive. It is easy to setup the slideshow and combine your music with your photos. There are really only a couple of downsides. The playlists created in Media Center don't show up and it takes a couple of minutes to load everytime I switch to the iPod/USB input. However, it is great to have my entire CD collection available and once it's loaded changing between CD's is quick and simple.

Be aware that you have to format the external drive as FAT32.
post #355 of 5121
Quote:


Originally Posted by deafjeff
"That is correct, use optical to receiver. Also Uverse box may experience audio drop out."

I'm having trouble setting this up to get the video from the hdmi and the audio from the optical. When I change my input to get the optical audio I get no video since the hdmi is no longer selected. What am I missing? Stupid Uverse and stereo from hdmi!

Quote:


Originally Posted by aross99
For the audio, you want to use an optical cable to your receiver, and force the "Signal Select" on your receiver into Digital, in order to get Dolby Digital. The default audio mode is Auto, which will select the HDMI audio, which is stereo only form uVerse.

There is an update on Uverse ATT box on Digital Audio Output. You can now get 5.1 over HDMI. From Menu screen look under Audio/Language Options. This update should also correct audio drop out.
post #356 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

There is an update on Uverse ATT box on Digital Audio Output. You can now get 5.1 over HDMI. From Menu screen look under Audio/Language Options. This update should also correct audio drop out.

The uVerse update isn't rolled out everywhere yet.

Here is what I did:

1. Turn off KURO link (Home Menu/System Setup/Other/Setup)
2. Use Input Setup (Home Menu/System/Setup/Input Setup) to assign an HDMI and optical to the TV/SAT input
3. Switch to TV/SAT and use SIGNAL SEL on the remote to select DIGITAL

Tune to a local HD channel, and you should see all five Dolby Digital channels light up.

Let me know if you need more help, and I can walk you through this in more detail...
post #357 of 5121
Interesting, have you compared sound quality between music loaded on your external drive vs. music loaded on IPOD via the connector on the 1019? I've found the sound quality into the 1019 via the IPOD connector to be outstanding.

Most of my music is loaded on my IPOD anyway, and my Samsung HDTV has a USB connector if I wanted to see pictures on my TV.
post #358 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoretsk View Post

Interesting, have you compared sound quality between music loaded on your external drive vs. music loaded on IPOD via the connector on the 1019? I've found the sound quality into the 1019 via the IPOD connector to be outstanding.

Most of my music is loaded on my IPOD anyway, and my Samsung HDTV has a USB connector if I wanted to see pictures on my TV.

I don't have an iPod but the sound is off the external drive sounds great to me. I also don't have a USB connector on the TV. I really like the slideshow feature and my who has no interest in any of this really likes the slideshow with music.
post #359 of 5121
I have an Onkyo 605 and am considering the 1019...My Onkyo has a mechanical relay that clicks loudly when audio switches. Are there any mechanical relays in the Pioneer?

Thanks.
post #360 of 5121
AVfred, mechanical relays are good. They give you a better signal separation than the solid state switches and you are certainly not going to wear them off if you switch a few times a day for the rest of your life.
Yes, the 1019ah does click too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread