or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread - Page 134

post #3991 of 5121
I have just purchased a VSX 1019 receiver and I'm very pleased with it, I have it hooked upto a PS3 via HDMI and its also HDMI to the TV. The question I have is that when I play a Video file with AC3 audio from the PS3 and have the VSX set to Auto Surround the VSX only recognises the sound as Stereo and only the front speakers are used, should it not be recognised as AC3 or Dolby? I have also tried this with a DVD with the same result.
I have also played a video file with DTS audio and the VSX Auto Surround setting does recognise this as DTS with stunning results. Does anyone have any expereince with this.
post #3992 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeane View Post

I have just purchased a VSX 1019 receiver and I'm very pleased with it, I have it hooked upto a PS3 via HDMI and its also HDMI to the TV. The question I have is that when I play a Video file with AC3 audio from the PS3 and have the VSX set to Auto Surround the VSX only recognises the sound as Stereo and only the front speakers are used, should it not be recognised as AC3 or Dolby? I have also tried this with a DVD with the same result.
I have also played a video file with DTS audio and the VSX Auto Surround setting does recognise this as DTS with stunning results. Does anyone have any expereince with this.

If you had earlier connected the PS3 directly to the TV, you might have to reconfigure the HDMI connection so that the PS3 can recognize which sound formats the receiver is capable of receiving. Go into Audio Settings, select HDMI, and on the next screen, let the PS3 automatically detect possible formats.

You could also check if you have enabled Bitstream instead of Linear PCM, if you want Dolby Digital and DTS to show up on the receiver front. However, if you have the fatty PS3, it is best to keep this setting on Linear PCM if you wish to enjoy lossless audio from blu-rays.
post #3993 of 5121
I love my VSX-1019AH....we've had it for almost a year now but I have a question. We have Dish Network and we have the receiver pushing a set of Energy Classics. When a channel switches from DD to Stereo (usually a commercial) the volume is extremely high. You are forced to manually lower the volume and raise it when it goes back into DD. Is there a way to "normalize" this? Kinda like "SmartSound" use to work for TVs. I have looked into Dialogue Normalization but haven't figured out how to use it to fix this....if it even can. Looking for help....thx in advance!
post #3994 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakys View Post

I love my VSX-1019AH....we've had it for almost a year now but I have a question. We have Dish Network and we have the receiver pushing a set of Energy Classics. When a channel switches from DD to Stereo (usually a commercial) the volume is extremely high. You are forced to manually lower the volume and raise it when it goes back into DD. Is there a way to "normalize" this? Kinda like "SmartSound" use to work for TVs. I have looked into Dialogue Normalization but haven't figured out how to use it to fix this....if it even can. Looking for help....thx in advance!

Hi Ariakys, see page 53 in OM on "Auto Level Control (ALC)
On the remote, press "Receiver" button and then "Auto/ALC/Direct" button.
post #3995 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Ariakys, see page 53 in OM on "Auto Level Control (ALC)
On the remote, press "Receiver" button and then "Auto/ALC/Direct" button.

Omg....that was too easy....I guess i could just RTFM lol. Thanks for being cool and helping me out!
post #3996 of 5121
I have a quick question , i have polk audio 5.1 rm705 and the manual says it should cross over at 120, since 1019 offer only 100 and 150 xover point which one should I choose, i read through the thread, some said 100 some said 150 with other brand of speakrs that needed 120 xover too.

Also I have my fatty PS3 to send PCM to my receiver, should I set Surround mode to direct stream to avoid the receiver altering the sound

I read some said you dont need SPL meter because of MCAA is that true?
post #3997 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpower View Post

I have a quick question , i have polk audio 5.1 rm705 and the manual says it should cross over at 120, since 1019 offer only 100 and 150 xover point which one should I choose, i read through the thread, some said 100 some said 150 with other brand of speakrs that needed 120 xover too.

Also I have my fatty PS3 to send PCM to my receiver, should I set Surround mode to direct stream to avoid the receiver altering the sound

I read some said you dont need SPL meter because of MCAA is that true?

Try both the crossovers and see which one sounds better. I have KEF satellite speakers and Sub, and I was told to set the crossover to 100Hz, I found 80Hz to be better so kept it at that.

You can try out the different modes for different sources. For eg. I use EXT.STEREO for audio CD playback, and Auto Surround for blu-ray/DVD playback. Try them out and see which ones you prefer.

And yes, MCACC does the work which is intended to be done by an SPL meter.
post #3998 of 5121
Does anyone use the EQ Professional and Advanced EQ in MCACC? I've had this receiver since November and just realized that I've never messed around with anything past the Auto MCACC. I'm looking at the guide in the MCACC thread and it has me completely lost, I'm not even sure if that's the same process for the 1019?

I finally updated my speakers and have a new sub, so I figured it would be wise to get the most out of this, but I'm completely 100% lost on this. If it wouldn't be a problem, could anyone explain the exact process you use with the 1019/919 and MCACC past the regualar MCACC (sound level, distance, crossover) I'm trying to follow the instructions on the 1st page and it's not helping... I realize this is asking a lot, but I'd really appreciate any help I could get!

Thanks
post #3999 of 5121
What is most ppls' volume setting, -20, -5, 0? I feel that at -20 the surround sound fills my entire apartment, I can hear sound when I close my bedroom door, I wonder if it is possible to use the reference thx db without your neighbour knocking on the door?
post #4000 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpower View Post

What is most ppls' volume setting, -20, -5, 0? I feel that at -20 the surround sound fills my entire apartment, I can hear sound when I close my bedroom door, I wonder if it is possible to use the reference thx db without your neighbour knocking on the door?

In my basement HT, I usually watch with it between -25 and -20. On rare occasions I'll crank it into the -teens.
post #4001 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post

Does anyone use the EQ Professional and Advanced EQ in MCACC? I've had this receiver since November and just realized that I've never messed around with anything past the Auto MCACC. I'm looking at the guide in the MCACC thread and it has me completely lost, I'm not even sure if that's the same process for the 1019?

I finally updated my speakers and have a new sub, so I figured it would be wise to get the most out of this, but I'm completely 100% lost on this. If it wouldn't be a problem, could anyone explain the exact process you use with the 1019/919 and MCACC past the regualar MCACC (sound level, distance, crossover) I'm trying to follow the instructions on the 1st page and it's not helping... I realize this is asking a lot, but I'd really appreciate any help I could get!

Thanks

IMO the majority of non-audiofile folks with 1019s (including myself) are using default Auto MCACC settings (after running Full Auto MCACC the 1st time) - most of the explanations for tweaking settings are just too complicated for us non-expert users. I did re-run Auto MCACC a couple of months after my brand new speakers were broken in, which improved the sound quite a bit.

There are quite a few settings on the 1019 you can tweak on-the-fly depending on your listening source.
post #4002 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post

Does anyone use the EQ Professional and Advanced EQ in MCACC? I've had this receiver since November and just realized that I've never messed around with anything past the Auto MCACC. I'm looking at the guide in the MCACC thread and it has me completely lost, I'm not even sure if that's the same process for the 1019?

I finally updated my speakers and have a new sub, so I figured it would be wise to get the most out of this, but I'm completely 100% lost on this. If it wouldn't be a problem, could anyone explain the exact process you use with the 1019/919 and MCACC past the regualar MCACC (sound level, distance, crossover) I'm trying to follow the instructions on the 1st page and it's not helping... I realize this is asking a lot, but I'd really appreciate any help I could get!

Thanks

I did the following (to a tee) with my 919 and everything sounds great, I used the receiver for quite awhile before running Advanced EQ with 30-50ms setting but it turned out great and I am liking what I hear:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post

The manual recommends 30-50 ms, but strongly advises you to study the reverb measurements and see which basic behaviors they exhibit, and then use the setting that your results indicate. They have 3 types of behavior results to look for, and related delay settings to use.

You can do what you said above...kinda. The only thing is that Auto MCAAC is too generalized to allow you to run an EQ calibration with a custom delay time setting (ex. 30-50 ms). You could :

1) Run auto MCAAC
2) Manually Change Sp settings to small and 80 hz crossover
3) Re-run Auto MCAAC in Auto MCAAC custom mode and be sure to select the option "keep Sp settings"
4) Then go into Advanced EQ, change delay time to 30-50 ms, and run the EQ calibration. Running the Advanced EQ calibration WILL NOT change any of your other settings....only the EQ filters MCAAC applies. And in this case the main difference is that it will take frequency measurements earlier than how Auto MCAAC does it.

Auto MCAAC just doesn't want to confuse the average user with time delay options. The time delay option is something that is chosen by an advanced user based upon reverb data. So offering a time delay option in Auto MCAAC then requires the opening of a whole can of worms that doesn't fit with the idea of Auto MCAAC.

But to be clear, you can select a time delay from the advanced EQ menu and run a calibration without taking a single reverb measurement. Pioneer just recommends it so that you make the right setting.
post #4003 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilly77 View Post

I did the following (to a tee) with my 919 and everything sounds great, I used the receiver for quite awhile before running Advanced EQ with 30-50ms setting but it turned out great and I am liking what I hear:


Much thanks, that is a great start! I will mess around with it tonight!
post #4004 of 5121
I have been playing around with my new pioneer 1019 receiver hooked up to some energy classics. The only setting that sound nice with tv, movies is the EXT stereo. The other advanced settings have only sound out of the front and center channel.

Any one have a similar problem
post #4005 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge99 View Post

I have been playing around with my new pioneer 1019 receiver hooked up to some energy classics. The only setting that sound nice with tv, movies is the EXT stereo. The other advanced settings have only sound out of the front and center channel.

Any one have a similar problem

not sure....i've got a similar setup and i had some problems, but they had to do with my uverse box and not my AVR.....
post #4006 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge99 View Post

I have been playing around with my new pioneer 1019 receiver hooked up to some energy classics. The only setting that sound nice with tv, movies is the EXT stereo. The other advanced settings have only sound out of the front and center channel.

Any one have a similar problem

EXT.STEREO sends the same stereo signal to the surrounds as well as the fronts, hence giving you the impression of a fuller sound. Dolby ProLogic II Music and Movie modes and the NEO:6 Music and Movie modes usually take a stereo signal and convert it into 5.1, now most of the sound in these modes WILL come out through the fronts and center speakers, while the surround effects will be sent to the surrounds.

In the end, it is just a matter of selecting the mode that you prefer. I do use EXT.STEREO for stereo sources, and keep it at Auto Surround for 5.1 or 7.1 sources.
post #4007 of 5121
I got my new sub (PA 120) last night to replace my older smaller yamaha sub. When I reran MCACC, it set my sub up at +3.5. I thought this was kinda strange because everytime I've run it with my older sub I always got around -4. I figured with the much more powerful bigger sub it would at least stay around the same. I ran it twice and got the same thing, anyone think that is a bit off?

Thanks,

Erik
post #4008 of 5121
i don't think it's unusual...

you can't compare the numbers the way you are... there's no direct correlation between the subs...

some things that are likely different between the two...

- amp gain structure
- driver sensitivity/other numbers
- box
- etc. etc. etc.
post #4009 of 5121
also, keep something in mind...

you aren't necessarily going to increase the spl a lot at the frequencies you were already getting out of your old sub... what your new sub will primarily do is extend the frequency range (and hopefully be more linear across it)...
post #4010 of 5121
aah got ya thanks for putting some logic behind that!
post #4011 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post

Does anyone use the EQ Professional and Advanced EQ in MCACC? I've had this receiver since November and just realized that I've never messed around with anything past the Auto MCACC. I'm looking at the guide in the MCACC thread and it has me completely lost, I'm not even sure if that's the same process for the 1019?

I finally updated my speakers and have a new sub, so I figured it would be wise to get the most out of this, but I'm completely 100% lost on this. If it wouldn't be a problem, could anyone explain the exact process you use with the 1019/919 and MCACC past the regualar MCACC (sound level, distance, crossover) I'm trying to follow the instructions on the 1st page and it's not helping... I realize this is asking a lot, but I'd really appreciate any help I could get!

Thanks

I tried to but like you got lost. I ended up having ChadB come out and calibrate everything. It definitely helps when you have someone come out who knows what they are doing. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. It does make a big difference when you get things dialed in correctly
post #4012 of 5121
Hey all,
I've been lurking for awhile. I have bought the pio 1019 recently and must say she is a welcome addition. I'm not new to the ht experience. I just never payed so much attention to detail. I Had an hk 254 and she was nice. Gui was better than my 1019 and the sound was warm, I thought. She then went down for unknown reason and I sent her back, hk would not honor the warrenty. But I got a check from them for her cost. I was supprised as all get out. Now I'm researching and find this site amazingly helpfull. Just thought a small intro was in order. My question is about cross overs. My front speakers are old fishers. The woofers are like 10 " the mids are lke 4" and tweets are like 2". My center is sony and so are the rears. The center and rears are new and 8 ohms the fishers are also 8 ohms. How should my crossovers be set. I have no sub as of yet. Not sure what to buy on a 300 dollar budget. I come to 300 due to fact I don't feel like I need to spend more fo a room that is roughly 22 by 18. And I gaurentee the sound field is really messed up as most family rooms are a complete nightmare. My floor is wood by the way. Thanks for all the giudance in advance.
post #4013 of 5121
I have a sound question.

My HD DVR is connected to the VSX-1019AH-K via a HDMI cable. There are no other cables connected between the DVR and the VSX-1019AH-K.

When the DVR is switched between channels broadcasting digital programs (digital format indicator on the VSX-1019AH-K's front display shows digital) there is no sound problem.

If I switch to a channel on the DVR and that program results in the digital format indicator on the VSX-1019AH-K's front panel to be blank then there is no sound just the picture.

To remedy the sound loss I switch the VSX-1019AH-K away from the DVR input source and then back again and then there is sound.

Is there a way to always have sound without having to switch the VSX-1019AH-K away and then back ?
post #4014 of 5121
When i watch blu ray with truehd or any dvd encoded in 5.1 dtx, anything between -17-25 is very loud and audible, but when I watch older movie that only come with 2.0 stereo or hd shows with 2.0 stereo, I have to crank up the AVR to -10 to get loud sound, is that normal or not?
post #4015 of 5121
^^^^
When you are listening to a 5.1 source, you have six speakers putting out sound. When you listen to a 2-channel source, you only have two speakers putting out sound. Guess which one sounds louder?

Yes, it is normal.
post #4016 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtmedic View Post

Hey all,
I've been lurking for awhile. I have bought the pio 1019 recently and must say she is a welcome addition. I'm not new to the ht experience. I just never payed so much attention to detail. I Had an hk 254 and she was nice. Gui was better than my 1019 and the sound was warm, I thought. She then went down for unknown reason and I sent her back, hk would not honor the warrenty. But I got a check from them for her cost. I was supprised as all get out. Now I'm researching and find this site amazingly helpfull. Just thought a small intro was in order. My question is about cross overs. My front speakers are old fishers. The woofers are like 10 " the mids are lke 4" and tweets are like 2". My center is sony and so are the rears. The center and rears are new and 8 ohms the fishers are also 8 ohms. How should my crossovers be set. I have no sub as of yet. Not sure what to buy on a 300 dollar budget. I come to 300 due to fact I don't feel like I need to spend more fo a room that is roughly 22 by 18. And I gaurentee the sound field is really messed up as most family rooms are a complete nightmare. My floor is wood by the way. Thanks for all the giudance in advance.

On the sub, I'd go to the subs forum for some guidance for that price range, but IMO, depending on the use (%HT, %music, gaming...) there are some good choices you could get. I'd look at the HSU stf-2, the elemental designs as3-250 or the premier acoustics PA-120 . The PA is the most economical, the ED or HSU are better overall, but more expensive.

You want to provide us with the frequency range for your speakers. In particular the new center and surrounds. The crossover will be determined mostly by those, since I assume your older speakers are full range. Most of the dialogue will be carried by your center speaker, so that needs to be supported the most.

As to the sound field, running MCACC will go a long ways to overcoming that, but you can do some things. Bare wood floors are the nemesis to good sound, most particularly for sub frequencies, so one thing that may help is some good area rugs if that's a possibility.
post #4017 of 5121
Lately when I'm watching TV the sound drops for a second and the receiver will show Dial Norm and a number on the screen.
Does anyone else have this? How can I turn it off? I was watching ESPN this morning and it happened like 4 times in a couple of minutes. It is very annoying.
post #4018 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by alejopelaez View Post

Lately when I'm watching TV the sound drops for a second and the receiver will show Dial Norm and a number on the screen.
Does anyone else have this? How can I turn it off? I was watching ESPN this morning and it happened like 4 times in a couple of minutes. It is very annoying.

This is a source problem, not receiver.
post #4019 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by alejopelaez View Post

Lately when I'm watching TV the sound drops for a second and the receiver will show Dial Norm and a number on the screen.
Does anyone else have this? How can I turn it off? I was watching ESPN this morning and it happened like 4 times in a couple of minutes. It is very annoying.

I guess what its telling you is to raise the volume level to whatever the number its displaying to get it back to calibrated reference level.
post #4020 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

This is a source problem, not receiver.

correct, or cabling, or something that is causing it to lose the audio sync...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

I guess what its telling you is to raise the volume level to whatever the number its displaying to get it back to calibrated reference level.

nope, that's not what dial norm is...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread