I just recently updated my home theatre setup and am having a few issues that I was hoping you could help with. I've had a look through some of the thread already and haven't found anything that answers things, but it's huge, so my apologies if I've missed any of these that were answered already.
I have the following issues with the receiver (all started happening straight out of the box), could anyone offer any advice?
- When turning on the AVR & components, it usually switches from whatever I've selected (i.e. xbox or foxtel) to another input (usually wii, which is turned off). Even when I change back to my chosen input, it will switch a couple more times before finally settling for what I've chosen. This is extremely frustrating
- The sound quality coming out of the PS3 when playing Blu Rays is, quite frankly, balls... Games seem to be ok, but BR's are very soft and you constantly have to keep juggling the volume level to hear conversations and then turning back down again for action. To be fair, I did have this problem with my old AVR, an Onkyo, and have not yet figured it out. It's currently set to PCM.
- The AVR will not pass through 1080P video. Every time I change the xbox or PS3 to 1080P output, the TV comes up with a "mode not supported" message. I thought it was the TV and had the Samsung guy out but it is definitely a receiver issue, as when the consoles are plugged directly into the TV via HDMI, both do 1080P with no problems.
- When playing PS3 games, there are often white flickers on the screen during dark or black screens, followed by white flickering lines and occasionally, a full screen of static. This doesn't happen all the time though and I haven't yet been able to pinpoint an apparent trigger. Recently I've started having the problem with the xbox as well.
- There is no sound when trying to view preview videos or play game demos on the xbox. Once you hit play or load a demo, the little speaker icons on the AVR's LCD go dark and you get no audio. Video is fine though. As soon as I go back to the dashboard, the speaker icons come back and audio is fine again.
Sorry for the novel, but as you can imagine, after blowing over $5000 on a new setup, I'm a little frustrated with all this.
Thanks in advance for your help.
My setup is:
Samsung PS58B850 58" Plasma
Xbox 360 Elite
PS3 80GB (old style)
Foxtel IQ2 (Aussie cable TV box)
LG 250GB HDD DVD Recorder
Samsung HD set top box
Onkyo Speakers: FL-C-FR-RL-RR-SW (from my old Onkyo HTIB pack)
Xbox / PS3 / Foxtel / Samsung box --> AVR via HDMI
LG DVD / Wii --> AVR via Component & Optical
AVR --> TV via HDMI