or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread - Page 160

post #4771 of 5121
I'm fairly sure that, at least when they wrote the user's manual, the pre-outs were supposed to carry audio when in the "Speaker B" setting. Might not have made it into the actual receiver design though...or a copy/paste typo....
From P. 69 of the UM:

Switching the speaker system
If you selected Speaker B in Surround back
speaker setting
on page 94, three speaker
system settings are possible using SPEAKERS.
If you selected Normal, Front Bi-Amp or
ZONE 2, the button will simply switch your
main speaker system on or off. The options
below are for the Speaker B setting only.

Use SPEAKERS on the front panel to
select a speaker system setting.

As mentioned above, if you have selected
Normal, the button will simply switch your
main speaker system (A) on or off.

Press repeatedly to choose a speaker system
option:

• SP►A – Sound is output from speaker
system A and the same signal is output
from the pre-out terminals.
• SP►B – Sound is output from the two
speakers connected to speaker system B.
Multichannel sources will not be heard.
The same signal is output from the
surround back channel pre-out terminals.
• SP►AB – Sound is output from speaker
system A (up to 5 channels, depending on
the source), the two speakers in speaker
system B, and the subwoofer. The sound
from speaker system B will be the same as
the sound from speaker system A
(multichannel sources will be downmixed
to 2 channels).
• SP► (off) – No sound is output from the
speakers. The same sound is output from
the pre-out terminals (including from your
subwoofer, if connected) as when
selecting speaker system A (above).


Dunno....would love for it to work as advertised....
post #4772 of 5121
Hey Guys,
I've had my 1019AH-K for almost 2 years now, awesome investment into my home theater. I have been using it to drive two Def Tech BP7002 towers and small center and surround speakers. I will be upgrading to a full Def Tech tower setup, with BP7000sc, a CLR3000, and the BP7002's for surround.

Well of course by now you know the new models are out and there are some pretty decent prices for new/used/demo equipment. I've been considering upgrading to the SC-37 and perhaps even the SC-57. My question is, will I notice a significant improvement? I know this is subjective to the person listening, just wondering if anyone out there has upgraded and found the experience to not be worth the extra investment. I would imagine the amps sound different due to the SC-37 and SC-57 being class D and the 1019AH-K being class AB.

Thank you for your comments.
post #4773 of 5121
^^^

no...

in any type of properly bias controlled test, I find it highly unlikely that you could "tell a difference" between the amps...

if you aren't going into protection now, the more robust amp section of the sc is of no use to you...

otoh, if there are features on the sc that you want, then it's a different story...
post #4774 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post
^^^

no...

in any type of properly bias controlled test, I find it highly unlikely that you could "tell a difference" between the amps...

if you aren't going into protection now, the more robust amp section of the sc is of no use to you...

otoh, if there are features on the sc that you want, then it's a different story...
Thanks for the response. Actually just two days ago the amp shutdown for the first time during my 2 years of owning it, it was during a loud sequence in the Dark Knight bluray. Either way, I'd love to A/B them to see if I could tell an audible difference.
post #4775 of 5121
i use the comcast cable remote to turn on and off the TV, cable box and the receiver (pioneer vsx 1019) when i turn off everything using the all on/off button on the remote everything turns off then the reciever comes on agian and i have to turn it off again i tried to replace the comcast remote but that didn't help. any idea why this happens? is there a setting i'm missing?
post #4776 of 5121
^^^

turn off hdmi control (kurolink) on the avr...
post #4777 of 5121
thanks for advice Chris but kurolink is turned off i don't see anywhere to turn off HDMI
i have my blu-ray hooked up with HDMI and that works fine. have the tv hooked up with op. digital i tried to use the HDMI for the tv but when i would turn it on there would be no sound till i swiched the input around. i was told that the 1019 does not play well with HDMI to hook it up with the digital cable. now it turns on good but wont turn off
post #4778 of 5121
Kind of. More like cable boxes don't play nice with avr's via hdmi. Lots of reported audio drop and handshake issues. Most (incl me) have resorted to component and optical or coax connection for the cable box for more reliable operation.
post #4779 of 5121
I had this receiver for 1.5 years and think its great !

My TV has component video and a DVI connector as inputs. I have always use the component input directly to the TV from my cable box bypassing the receiver and just using the receiver to switch the audio. The TV then scales automatically to either 480i stretch or 1080i 16x9 depending if the source is SD or HD.

I am now trying to use the HDMI switching on the back of the receiver. I noticed that the output is always 1080i and the TV no longer is able to adjust to SD Stretch versus HD 16x9 mode automatically since the source is now fixed.
I don't like the black bars on SD content. Is there any way to set the pioneer to passthrough the original signal rather then upscaling automatically to 1080i?
post #4780 of 5121
^^^
Look under Video Settings in your User Manual. I think there is a setting to allow passthrough of the video w/o upscaling. I think this only applies if your using something other than HDMI from your source device (i.e., component, composite, etc.).
post #4781 of 5121
Quick question... I'm moving soon, and I'm not sure I'll be able to use my rear speakers for a while due to placement issues.

If I change my 5.1 setup to no longer include rear speakers... am I going to be missing out on sound effects, or will the rear channels just be mixed in with the 3 front speakers?
post #4782 of 5121
^^^
I don't think it will be mixed with the front speakers. You just won't get the rear channel (not that big of a deal imho).
post #4783 of 5121
I tried searching to see if anyone else is having this problem but didn't see anything.

My trusty VSX-1019H is having sound issues. My signal source is either a Tivo or Playstation. The sound is flat and dull but worse seems to be coming primarily from the front left and center speakers. However this isn't constant. Sometimes the sound snaps to being more lively (like the full frequency range has just come back) and the full front soundstage comes back. It appears something has failed but what I'm wondering is if any one has a clue as to what. My assumption is its the main circuit board and I'm guessing that isn't worth repairing (the unit went out of warranty in March).

Any ideas?
post #4784 of 5121
Something has been bothering me for awhile. ALthough I have my receiver set to Auto Surround, the receiver often chooses Stereo for stations that say they are broadcast in 5.1. For example, this sometimes happens to shows on my HBO HD station. I know I have everything connected properly because the receiver chooses Digital for most 5.1 stations. I understand that my cable provider (Comcast) may be showing the broadcast as 5.1 but it really isn't broadcast that way. I am wondering if this happens to others and if there is some setting I am missing. If the station really isn't 5.1, then I would prefer that the receiver choose one of the simulated surround modes instead of stereo. Anyway to make this happen? Thanks.
post #4785 of 5121
My 1019 does the same thing. I've yet to understand why but now that the darn thing has this other problem maybe I'll just throw in the towel and buy something else.

BTW are watching OTA or via cable? I'm also curious if you are using a Tivo?

I always figured the problem was the Tivo but that's just because of all the other audio problems I've had with the Series 3.
post #4786 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe View Post

My 1019 does the same thing. I've yet to understand why but now that the darn thing has this other problem maybe I'll just throw in the towel and buy something else.

BTW are watching OTA or via cable? I'm also curious if you are using a Tivo?

I always figured the problem was the Tivo but that's just because of all the other audio problems I've had with the Series 3.

I am watching via Comcast Cable and not using Tivo.

Anyone else have this same problem?
post #4787 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 View Post

^^^
I wouldn't characterize that as derailing this thread as this is also where owners of the 919 come for advice, etc.

I would try returning the unit to factory specs (check your manual on how to do this). I know with the 1019 it is going into standby mode, holding down the "enter" button and hitting the "standby/on" button, then setting reset to "yes". It may be the same for the 919 but I'm not sure. Also, if that doesn't work and the unit is less than 1 year old it may still be under warrenty. Bring to authorized shop and have it checked out as you may be able to get it rma'd. Just tell them it stopped working (leave out the storm bit). You could also try updating the firmware, but if it were me I'd not try that unless I couldn't rma.

Good luck

I have the 1019 now for almost 3 years(1/2010) and have had TV, BD and HD box from cable company going through HDMI 3. Have had some problems getting the video/sound to start up right away thru cable, so did hace cable company come out and replace box. Now am having a problem most of the time, which also started to effect the blu-ray connection. Was able to switch everything to come on through HDMI 2 on the 1019, and looks like the proble may have been the #3 HDMI port. Cant figure any reason that this would start to fail. Anyone think that reseting to factory specs might help bring this back, or does it appear that the port might just be worn out from usage? Really dont want to buy a new avr, would think that this one would last a bit longer. Thanks for all your help and advice.
post #4788 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieRob View Post

I am watching via Comcast Cable and not using Tivo.

Anyone else have this same problem?

Since we are having exactly the same problem and I'm watching OTA it can't be Comcast. Since you're getting the signal directly from the cable and I'm going via Tivo its unlikely to be the sources in either of our cases, particularly because I have the problem on both pre-recorded and live TV.

Sounds like our receivers have a design flaw. Either that or we have them setup incorrectly somehow although I can't imagine what we might have done wrong.

Frankly given the cost of buying a new one vs the hours of pain talking to Pioneer I'm going to probably bail, but if you call and learn anything useful I'd sure like to know.
post #4789 of 5121
I needed to make some changes to the speaker plugs on the back on my VSX-1019AH-K. The HDMI cable got disconnected from the HDMI OUT to the TV in the process. I reinserted the HDMI cable into the A/V but since then the A/V doesn't appear to be sending anything to the TV.

The TV says "No Signal" when the HDMI cable is plugged into the A/V. If I pull out the HDMI cable from the A/V then the TV says "Checking for signal"

The audio is fine from all the HDMI inputs plugged in to the A/V.

I've pull all the HDMI input cables from the A/V to try and get the A/V setup menu on the TV. It won't show on the TV using the HDMI cable. I've tried a different HDMI cable with no luck. I tried a component cable to the TV and the A/V setup menu did show on the TV.

I reset the A/V from the A/V front panel .. still no signal to the TV.

Could the HDMI connector on the A/V be damaged even though the TV is reacting to the HDMI cable being pulled out and then reseated in the A/V's HDMI OUT ?
post #4790 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe View Post

Since we are having exactly the same problem and I'm watching OTA it can't be Comcast. Since you're getting the signal directly from the cable and I'm going via Tivo its unlikely to be the sources in either of our cases, particularly because I have the problem on both pre-recorded and live TV.

Sounds like our receivers have a design flaw. Either that or we have them setup incorrectly somehow although I can't imagine what we might have done wrong.

Frankly given the cost of buying a new one vs the hours of pain talking to Pioneer I'm going to probably bail, but if you call and learn anything useful I'd sure like to know.

if u guys give up on your avr's let me know.
post #4791 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPopely View Post

I needed to make some changes to the speaker plugs on the back on my VSX-1019AH-K. The HDMI cable got disconnected from the HDMI OUT to the TV in the process. I reinserted the HDMI cable into the A/V but since then the A/V doesn't appear to be sending anything to the TV.

The TV says "No Signal" when the HDMI cable is plugged into the A/V. If I pull out the HDMI cable from the A/V then the TV says "Checking for signal"

The audio is fine from all the HDMI inputs plugged in to the A/V.

I've pull all the HDMI input cables from the A/V to try and get the A/V setup menu on the TV. It won't show on the TV using the HDMI cable. I've tried a different HDMI cable with no luck. I tried a component cable to the TV and the A/V setup menu did show on the TV.

I reset the A/V from the A/V front panel .. still no signal to the TV.

Could the HDMI connector on the A/V be damaged even though the TV is reacting to the HDMI cable being pulled out and then reseated in the A/V's HDMI OUT ?

I finally figured out the problem. It's the HDMI OUT connector on the back of the VSX-1019AH-K.

I had connected an 6ft 24AWG HDMI cable between the HDMI OUT on the VSX-1019AH-K and the TV.

The 24AWG HDMI cable is thicker and stiffer than the more typical 28AWG HDMI cable.

Over time the receiver was being moved for various reasons which put a strain on the HDMI OUT connector on the back of the VSX-1019AH-K.

I replaced the 6ft 24AWG HDMI cable with the thinner and more flexible 6ft 28AWG HDMI cable.

Even though the damage is done to the HDMI OUT connector it'll work if I have the cable connected just so .. a trial and error process. If nothing
interfers with the cable everything's fine with a high quality signal to the TV.

I wanted to reply to my own post because this condition I'm sure has happened, and will happen, to other folks.

A definition of AWG ...AWG stands for "American Wire Gauge." It is the thickness of the wire inside the cable.
The lower number AWG denotes thicker wiring and thicker overall cable. Thicker cables are recommended for
longer cable runs because they offer less resistance along the signal path.
post #4792 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPopely View Post

I finally figured out the problem. It's the HDMI OUT connector on the back of the VSX-1019AH-K.

I had connected an 6ft 24AWG HDMI cable between the HDMI OUT on the VSX-1019AH-K and the TV.

The 24AWG HDMI cable is thicker and stiffer than the more typical 28AWG HDMI cable.

Over time the receiver was being moved for various reasons which put a strain on the HDMI OUT connector on the back of the VSX-1019AH-K.

I replaced the 6ft 24AWG HDMI cable with the thinner and more flexible 6ft 28AWG HDMI cable.

Even though the damage is done to the HDMI OUT connector it'll work if I have the cable connected just so .. a trial and error process. If nothing
interfers with the cable everything's fine with a high quality signal to the TV.

I wanted to reply to my own post because this condition I'm sure has happened, and will happen, to other folks.

A definition of AWG ...AWG stands for "American Wire Gauge." It is the thickness of the wire inside the cable.
The lower number AWG denotes thicker wiring and thicker overall cable. Thicker cables are recommended for
longer cable runs because they offer less resistance along the signal path.

You might want to look into using a port saver. I use these on my 1019 and SC-05 and it makes for a snug fit and helps alleviate strain on the HDMI in/outs.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #4793 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPopely View Post

I finally figured out the problem. It's the HDMI OUT connector on the back of the VSX-1019AH-K.

I had connected an 6ft 24AWG HDMI cable between the HDMI OUT on the VSX-1019AH-K and the TV.

The 24AWG HDMI cable is thicker and stiffer than the more typical 28AWG HDMI cable.

Over time the receiver was being moved for various reasons which put a strain on the HDMI OUT connector on the back of the VSX-1019AH-K.

I replaced the 6ft 24AWG HDMI cable with the thinner and more flexible 6ft 28AWG HDMI cable.

Even though the damage is done to the HDMI OUT connector it'll work if I have the cable connected just so .. a trial and error process. If nothing
interfers with the cable everything's fine with a high quality signal to the TV.

I wanted to reply to my own post because this condition I'm sure has happened, and will happen, to other folks.

A definition of AWG ...AWG stands for "American Wire Gauge." It is the thickness of the wire inside the cable.
The lower number AWG denotes thicker wiring and thicker overall cable. Thicker cables are recommended for
longer cable runs because they offer less resistance along the signal path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

You might want to look into using a port saver. I use these on my 1019 and SC-05 and it makes for a snug fit and helps alleviate strain on the HDMI in/outs.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Thanks holt7153 for responding .... a port saver or a HDMI cable braket would seem to help
post #4794 of 5121
I've had my 1019ah for two years now with the same Panasonic plasma TV and the same DVD player (connected via HDMI to the 1019 and then the TV). Once I had set everything to get the correct aspect ratios (I no longer remember what I may have done), I never had a problem. Until now. I returned after three weeks vacation to discover that I can no longer have my DVD player set to 1080p (where it has always been set) and get the correct aspect ratio. The power went out and may have reset the DVD player settings but nothing I do to the DVD player (and I have tried virtually everything) makes any difference. The 1019ah will not allow me access to any video settings because it's connected via HDMI. I do not have cable (or any access to TV signals) but my boarder connected his laptop to the 1019 via HDMI to play video games and adjusted resolution settings on his laptop (claims not to have made any changes on the 1019). If I plug the HDMI cable directly into the TV (from DVD player), it still does not work (I have experimented with every conceivable setting on both the TV and DVD player).

Could the 1019 have been adjusting the aspect ratio all this time and now, for whatever reason, is unable to do so? Could the fellow who callibrated the TV have adjusted a setting on the 1019 that has changed. Any ideas?

Note: I can get the correct aspect ratio if I set the DVD player to 480p, but then I get a small picture in the middle of my TV.
post #4795 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDsonly View Post

I've had my 1019ah for two years now with the same Panasonic plasma TV and the same DVD player (connected via HDMI to the 1019 and then the TV). Once I had set everything to get the correct aspect ratios (I no longer remember what I may have done), I never had a problem. Until now. I returned after three weeks vacation to discover that I can no longer have my DVD player set to 1080p (where it has always been set) and get the correct aspect ratio. The power went out and may have reset the DVD player settings but nothing I do to the DVD player (and I have tried virtually everything) makes any difference. The 1019ah will not allow me access to any video settings because it's connected via HDMI. I do not have cable (or any access to TV signals) but my boarder connected his laptop to the 1019 via HDMI to play video games and adjusted resolution settings on his laptop (claims not to have made any changes on the 1019). If I plug the HDMI cable directly into the TV (from DVD player), it still does not work (I have experimented with every conceivable setting on both the TV and DVD player).

Could the 1019 have been adjusting the aspect ratio all this time and now, for whatever reason, is unable to do so? Could the fellow who callibrated the TV have adjusted a setting on the 1019 that has changed. Any ideas?

Note: I can get the correct aspect ratio if I set the DVD player to 480p, but then I get a small picture in the middle of my TV.

I suspect that it is a setting in your TV that will upscale/determine the aspect ratio of incoming SD source. My understanding is that your receiver only passes through the video signal unmolested.
post #4796 of 5121
I have a Pioneer VSX-919AH receiver, and like many people I'm trying to hook up a computer to it. The computer has both a DVI output (and I have a DVI=>HDMI cable) and an HDMI output ... but both only output video, not audio. Now the receive's manual, and several posts I've read here, seem to suggest that it's possible to configure my receiver to combine the video from the HDMI input with the audio from ... some other source, and output the two together.

But here's the question (which I feel stupid for asking, but I couldn't find after over an hour of searching, at least a third of which was just searching through this thread):

HOW DO I DO THAT?

I've tried signal select, I've tried customizing my inputs, I've tried pretty much every combination of cables ... and no matter what I do, I can't get an alternate audio source to come through with the HDMI video. I can get audio-less video, and video-less audio, but the mysterious mechanism for combining the two together eludes me.

Please, please, if anyone else has this receiver and knows how to merge in a separate audio source with an HDMI video source, I would very much appreciate it if you could share. Very much.

Thanks.
post #4797 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by machineghost View Post

I have a Pioneer VSX-919AH receiver, and like many people I'm trying to hook up a computer to it. The computer has both a DVI output (and I have a DVI=>HDMI cable) and an HDMI output ... but both only output video, not audio. Now the receive's manual, and several posts I've read here, seem to suggest that it's possible to configure my receiver to combine the video from the HDMI input with the audio from ... some other source, and output the two together.
HOW DO I DO THAT?
I've tried signal select, I've tried customizing my inputs, I've tried pretty much every combination of cables ... and no matter what I do, I can't get an alternate audio source to come through with the HDMI video. I can get audio-less video, and video-less audio, but the mysterious mechanism for combining the two together eludes me.
Please, please, if anyone else has this receiver and knows how to merge in a separate audio source with an HDMI video source, I would very much appreciate it if you could share. Very much.
Thanks.

I have a 919 and I mix and match video/audio sources..
If i remember correctly only certain inputs are assignable.
enter mcacc mode. then to system setup.. then input setup.
i use hdmi-1 with switachable audio.
just use your remote to navigate around this page of mcacc and change audio sources to your liking..
post #4798 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by machineghost View Post

I have a Pioneer VSX-919AH receiver, and like many people I'm trying to hook up a computer to it. The computer has both a DVI output (and I have a DVI=>HDMI cable) and an HDMI output ... but both only output video, not audio. Now the receive's manual, and several posts I've read here, seem to suggest that it's possible to configure my receiver to combine the video from the HDMI input with the audio from ... some other source, and output the two together.

But here's the question (which I feel stupid for asking, but I couldn't find after over an hour of searching, at least a third of which was just searching through this thread):

HOW DO I DO THAT?

I've tried signal select, I've tried customizing my inputs, I've tried pretty much every combination of cables ... and no matter what I do, I can't get an alternate audio source to come through with the HDMI video. I can get audio-less video, and video-less audio, but the mysterious mechanism for combining the two together eludes me.

Please, please, if anyone else has this receiver and knows how to merge in a separate audio source with an HDMI video source, I would very much appreciate it if you could share. Very much.

Thanks.


Make sure Kurolink is off or you cannot assign your sources to an input. How are you getting the audio from the computer to the AVR? and where are you connecting the audio cable to the AVR?
post #4799 of 5121
First off, thanks to both of you for taking the time to help. As bmurray716 suggested, I did have kuro link on, so I disabled that. However, I'm still stuck.

Currently I have the video output of the computer going in to HDMI 1 on the receiver, while I have the audio (which is just a mini-phono => ... whatever those red and white cables are called ... RCA?) plugged in to DVD on the receiver. Both of them work if I switch to their respective inputs (ie. I can see video when I have it on HDMI 1, and I can hear audio when I put it on DVD).

However, despite doing my best to play with MCACC, signal selection, and input setup, I'm still stuck. 4b.Input Setup seems like the right way to do this, but:

A) When I try and configure the HDMI 1 input, the bottom three options are unreachable
B) When I try to configure the DVD input, I can change the HDMI Input line to Input-1, and then I do get video when I'm on DVD ... but I no longer get audio. I tried every value for the other two lines (Digital In and Component In), but no matter what I set them to I still don't get audio.

So, as before, any (further) help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.
post #4800 of 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 View Post

^^^
I don't think it will be mixed with the front speakers. You just won't get the rear channel (not that big of a deal imho).


Just wanted to clarify something and share my findings:

The Pulp Fiction blu disc has an audio calibration thing on it. I remove my rear speakers, told the receiver I no longer had the surrounds (which is a vital step for this), and wallah... the sounds that were being shown as rear sounds in the 5.1 test were playing through the front speakers. So they will mix up to the front. Just make sure you program the receiver to know you only have thw front speakers though... as opposed to merely disconnecting your rear speakers from the unit physically. It doesnt know if the speakers are in or not so if you leave the setup programmed for 5.1, its still going to route sounds to the back.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread