or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG "XXLH90" 240hz LED Owners Forum [NO PRICE TALK]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LG "XXLH90" 240hz LED Owners Forum [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 151

post #4501 of 4719
If the blacks of the LH90 aren't significantly better than the Sammy B860, then the LH90 just needs a little more calibration love... Also make sure you're watching pretty close to on axis, as blooming becomes more noticeable to the sides.
Remember, local dimming on and brightness in the 52-56 range depending on room lighting.
post #4502 of 4719
Chroma5 on it's way back from calibration. (See the .pdf file on the Calibration Forum) Will try to get the new results as soon as possible, but, to just give everyone a total break from me, I will be at Universal Orlando for a week of holidays Nov 1 to 7th! No Forum. No Wife, Hotel TV(?) and a daughter (42 and not wanting to miss anything!) who will have me so worn out, I'll have to come home to vacation from my vacation! (Oh, I'm so looking forward to Harry Potter Park!)
post #4503 of 4719
I just got some bad news, my tv isn't arriving until next Thursday, 8 days from now, QVC sucks! I'm glad to hear about the black levels. I found out real quick that I'm a sucker for good black levels, and the blacks on the 860 aren't good enough for me.
post #4504 of 4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

I just got some bad news, my tv isn't arriving until next Thursday, 8 days from now, QVC sucks! I'm glad to hear about the black levels. I found out real quick that I'm a sucker for good black levels, and the blacks on the 860 aren't good enough for me.

Price now down another $100! And the Blacks are definitely Black! In fact the actual Panel is almost as Black as the Black Bezel!
post #4505 of 4719
You guys are getting me even more hyped to get my 55 incher.
post #4506 of 4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

You guys are getting me even more hyped to get my 55 incher.

That's what she said.

p5browne: looking forward to your newest IREs. Been waiting for them so I can move my Expert 1 into Expert 2, re-up my picture wizard, run the Spears & Munsil disc and get those values in!

Good times.
post #4507 of 4719
If someone could post pics of their LH90 I would greatly appreciate it, especially pics that show off the blacks. I've seen all the pics posted on the entire forum of the LH90 because I search constantly, but I can never see enough.
post #4508 of 4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhand1 View Post

That's what she said.

p5browne: looking forward to your newest IREs. Been waiting for them so I can move my Expert 1 into Expert 2, re-up my picture wizard, run the Spears & Munsil disc and get those values in!

Good times.

Did first calibration last night - not happy - Yellow Tinge over everything again, plus the PQ Sharpness was all mellowed out - I think the LED tables in the Chroma5 are for Sonys and Samsungs and don't get along with the LG. I think it was Catmother, who has a Non Enhanced Chroma5, who's getting a better calibration! Should have left the Chroma5 the way it was, at least then I was getting my Whites and Sharp looking PQ. Working with the provider to maybe find a solution. So, the Chroma5 Before and After charts look great, to bad it doesn't relate back to a great LG Calibration experience!

Well live and learn - it appears that when one is Profiling one Meter to Another, it works better to do Multi Pass versus the Lazy Man's Single Pass. Will see how this works out over the weekend.
post #4509 of 4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Did first calibration last night - not happy - Yellow Tinge over everything again, plus the PQ Sharpness was all mellowed out - I think the LED tables in the Chroma5 are for Sonys and Samsungs and don't get along with the LG.
Quote:


I think it was Catmother, who has a Non Enhanced Chroma5, who's getting a better calibration!

Should have left the Chroma5 the way it was, at least then I was getting my Whites and Sharp looking PQ. Working with the provider to maybe find a solution. So, the Chroma5 Before and After charts look great, to bad it doesn't relate back to a great LG Calibration experience!

Well live and learn - it appears that when one is Profiling one Meter to Another, it works better to do Multiple Sweeps versus the Lazy Man's Single Sweep. Will see how this works out over the weekend.

Correct, my C5 has not been modified.
But the user is not forced to use the LED tables, the C5 has space for for 4 tables and 2, CRT and standard, are the factory default.

IIRC ChromaPure allows selection of any table in the meter calibration module.
Have you tried that ?
post #4510 of 4719
Pics please, I need to see more pics.
post #4511 of 4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

Correct, my C5 has not been modified.
But the user is not forced to use the LED tables, the C5 has space for for 4 tables and 2, CRT and standard, are the factory default.

IIRC ChromaPure allows selection of any table in the meter calibration module.
Have you tried that ?

Where the i1Pro Profile to the Chroma5 worked on the 55LHX using the Multi Pass Profiling, and I ended up with a very good PQ. The same could not be said for the 55LH90. Ended up with the Yellow Tinge again! Tried plain LCD and LCD(LED), same results. Another difference between the 2 sets, the longer the sets were on, the 55LHX Blue Values kept changing. On the 55LH90, the Red Values. The 55LH90 gave me problems, in that the IRE values wouldn't adjust using the DPG1200 Pattern Generator until I calibrated with the INNER Screens, then went back to the DPG1200.
post #4512 of 4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Where the i1Pro Profile to the Chroma5 worked on the 55LHX using the Multi Pass Profiling, and I ended up with a very good PQ. The same could not be said for the 55LH90. Ended up with the Yellow Tinge again! Tried plain LCD and LCD(LED), same results. Another difference between the 2 sets, the longer the sets were on, the 55LHX Blue Values kept changing. On the 55LH90, the Red Values. The 55LH90 gave me problems, in that the IRE values wouldn't adjust using the DPG1200 Pattern Generator until I calibrated with the INNER Screens, then went back to the DPG1200.

I feel your pain but have no explanation for it.
My preference is to use the HL90 inner patterns for grayscale and AVSHD for CMS.

The ChromaPure Pro internal patterns are so convenient to use but I have not as yet ascertained that The Intel HD Graphics on my laptop do not contaminate the colorspace. Initial observations are that it does not but a thorough test is planned when AVSHD posts the updated file with the ChromaPure pattern sequence.
When available, precal runs comparing the AVSHD and the ChromaPure internal generator will show convincing evidence.

A reference to my laptop is here:
http://www.gateway.com/systems/produ...46.php#prodBar

Note that this laptop has a BluRay optical drive.
post #4513 of 4719
I know someone here HAS to have a camera, help a fellow forum member out, the wait is killing me.
post #4514 of 4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

I know someone here HAS to have a camera, help a fellow forum member out, the wait is killing me.

There are a number of them throughout these pages. Here are a few:


http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1150014&page=9

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...150014&page=10

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...150014&page=17
post #4515 of 4719

Thanks, but I've seen them all though, I searched for .jpg in every thread that ever mentioned an LH90 and I've seen every pic on the whole forum of the LH90. I must have been in over 100 threads. That's why I was asking for new pics, I've seen all the others.
post #4516 of 4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

I know someone here HAS to have a camera, help a fellow forum member out, the wait is killing me.

It is not my intent to be rude but to list the many pitfalls in the process of transferring digital photos of a TV image to a post on the forum.

1. The TV should be calibrated with a colorimeter for accurate grayscale, gamma and colors (CMS).
2. The camera white balance must be set for the TV spectral output. White balance adjustment is only present on the more expensive digital cameras.
This means displaying patterns at IRE 30, 50, 80, 100 to set the camera white balance.
3. To prevent motion blur one must use a Hi Def recording like a Tivo to pause the video to capture the image. The TV luminance may not be sufficient to allow fast exposure times. The camera should be on a tripod.
4.To view the image on a PC, the PC monitor must be calibrated. Many are poor OOTB. This requires a colorimeter with bundled monitor calibration software like the I1D2. But this calibrates not just the monitor but the monitor/display adapter combination. Most adapters, AMD/Nvidia have many settings that can alter the image.
5. And the software used to view the image on the PC must not alter the colorspace. I have used IRfanview (free) for many years and have learned to trust this program in this regard.
6. The photo must be uploaded to Imageshack or flicker in high resolution for the forum member to view on his/her PC which must also be calibrated as in 4. above.
7. If the image is to be viewed on the members TV via the PC display adapter DVI/ HDMI out the question of color space contamination by the adapter is present again.
8. Better yet the member can dump the image to a flash drive connected to his TV using a player known to not alter the image.

Not to discourage members from posting photos but to take these with skepticism and realize that even photos on reputable web site TV reviews are also subject to such errors.

BTW my camera is the Panasonic Lumix TZ5 and my favorite site for digital camera reviews is dpreview.com. The TZ5 is listed as 'highly recommended'
post #4517 of 4719
Does anyone knows if the LH90 has discrete IR code for accessing ISF modes?
I would love to program my harmony to switch between Expert 1 and Expert 2 quickly. A discrete code for TruMotion would be nice too, but I guess that's not possible.
post #4518 of 4719
I'm not asking for professional photography here, I just want to see pics of the set. I know not to judge the set entirely from pics of it on the internet, I'm not that dumb.
post #4519 of 4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpdata View Post

Does anyone knows if the LH90 has discrete IR code for accessing ISF modes?
I would love to program my harmony to switch between Expert 1 and Expert 2 quickly. A discrete code for TruMotion would be nice too, but I guess that's not possible.


No the Harmony does not but it does have direct input switching.
Qmenu is the fastest way to switch from Expert 1 to Expert 2.
post #4520 of 4719
Can someone please pm me the "THX code" and also tell me where to input it? I'm talking about the one so you can see and edit the THX settings so you can copy them on another setting.
post #4521 of 4719
I have what seems to be the beginning of an epilogue for my LH90 woes.

LG is repairing the TV for now with a new Mainboard and power supply (though probably not necessary).

When the 2011 models are announced, I will be receiving a replacement with comparable/greater features/specs. I have outlined that I am picky (not that they don't already know) and may not agree with their choice. While they are not outright guaranteeing me the flagship model, I was told that I bought the flagship the first time around, so I should get something equally impressive.

Also, I am told that they are working on an "improved algorithm" (their words) that will eliminate the need to disable DD5.1/DTS output through the optical output. Apparently, they have done the same kludge on the 2010 models, hence the wait for 2011.

Finally, not to spoil the future for us, I am told that there may even be a matte screen model again!

So, I am awaiting mainboard replacement, and then the christmas unveiling!

(Looks like the tech finally gets to replace the mainboard after all.)
post #4522 of 4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

Can someone please pm me the "THX code" and also tell me where to input it? I'm talking about the one so you can see and edit the THX settings so you can copy them on another setting.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...e#post18156189
post #4523 of 4719
I had already been sent a pm, but thanks anyway man. Now if I could just see some new pics! I'll have the tv in 2 days anyway so I'm not worried about it now.
post #4524 of 4719
I get my 55" LH90 tomorrow!
post #4525 of 4719
I'm wondering why you didn't order from Adorama? They're in NY, very close to you. Plus no tax and no shipping charges.

I'm all the ways in West Coast, but they delivered my 55LH90 within 4 days! Actually had to wait until following Monday for delivery because I didn't pay for Sat delivery service. I'm very happy with Adorama excellent service.

Anyways, you'll soon be blown away by extremely awesome viewing experience. Wear some shade when you first turn on the thing, it's set on torch mode from factory.
post #4526 of 4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpdata View Post

I'm wondering why you didn't order from Adorama? They're in NY, very close to you. Plus no tax and no shipping charges.

I'm all the ways in West Coast, but they delivered my 55LH90 within 4 days! Actually had to wait until following Monday for delivery because I didn't pay for Sat delivery service. I'm very happy with Adorama excellent service.

Anyways, you'll soon be blown away by extremely awesome viewing experience. Wear some shade when you first turn on the thing, it's set on torch mode from factory.

I got it on payments from QVC, that's why. I can't wait to get my Samsung 860 plasma out of here, the blacks suck, and I have to worry about image retention constantly because it happens literally in seconds. I couldn't really watch something like ESPN for a long time, or play any games for a long time because of it. Anyway, I can't wait to take delivery of my LH90 tomorrow!
post #4527 of 4719
Today is the day for me, I only have 1-5 hours more to wait, because they said they'd be here between 12 and 5 today, and it's 11 now. I'll post impressions when I get it all set up, including how it compares to my Samsung 860 plasma.
post #4528 of 4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

Today is the day for me, I only have 1-5 hours more to wait, because they said they'd be here between 12 and 5 today, and it's 11 now. I'll post impressions when I get it all set up, including how it compares to my Samsung 860 plasma.

Don't forget pics.
post #4529 of 4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

Don't forget pics.

I'll post some, I did the same thing here when I got my 860. I know there's others like me that like to see pics, so I will definately be posting a few.
post #4530 of 4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpdata View Post

I'm wondering why you didn't order from Adorama?

I'm all the ways in West Coast, but they delivered my 55LH90 within 4 days! Actually had to wait until following Monday for delivery because I didn't pay for Sat delivery service. I'm very happy with Adorama excellent service.

I was so delighted to read your feedback, and glad that we served you well. Thank you for being a GR8 Adorama customer

BTW if you ever have any queries or need after-sales support with an order from Adorama, you are most welcome to contact me directly: HelenO@adorama.com
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG "XXLH90" 240hz LED Owners Forum [NO PRICE TALK]