or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › In-Home Speaker Reviews {Emotiva/HSU/Ascend/SVS}
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In-Home Speaker Reviews {Emotiva/HSU/Ascend/SVS} - Page 3

post #61 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiph View Post

the scs started its life as a center and was sold only with sbs speakers. it was turned vertical and made into mains (i believe when they did this they tweaked the tweeter positioning)

thx
post #62 of 92
One topic I did want to bring up since the Ascend 340 is being mentioned....is the whole topic of MTM designs and the positioning of the tweeter exactly in the middle. I have read that it may not be the ideal design and can lead to poor off axis performance.....in that the chance for wave cancellation and reiforcement is much more probable.

http://www.audioholics.com/education...nter%20channel

In this article it is illustrated how the woofer - tweeter (in the center) - woofer design is the "worst" scenarion.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=89614
post #63 of 92
In the case of the 340SE, you need to be about 20 degrees off axis (40 degree window) before you run into an issue if any.

At that point, you will more than likely be in front of or beyond the left or right channel, which another can or worms.
post #64 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikal-JRNE View Post

Emotiva ERM-1 {$358/pair shipped}


Ascend CMT-340 SE B-Stock {$488/pair shipped}

I'm wondering if your results would have been different had you auditioned the Emotiva ERM-6.2's which have a more comparable MSRP to the Ascends.
post #65 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

I'm wondering if your results would have been different had you auditioned the Emotiva ERM-6.2's which have a more comparable MSRP to the Ascends.

Would have been more of "a fair fight", wouldn't it?
Perhaps the OP wanted to stack the deck?
post #66 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Would have been more of "a fair fight", wouldn't it?
Perhaps the OP wanted to stack the deck?

Doubt it. I bet he was only comparing speakers he was considering.

Look at his conclusion: The SCS-01 are the best bang for the buck. Excellent overall performance and only slightly behind the CMT 340-SE, but all this is my opinion.

I appreciate the fact he posted his thoughts on what he did. It was not an exhaustive review of speakers that were matched in price but what he was looking at. Helps noobies like me and others get some more info for decision making.
post #67 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post

Doubt it. I bet he was only comparing speakers he was considering.

Look at his conclusion: The SCS-01 are the best bang for the buck. Excellent overall performance and only slightly behind the CMT 340-SE, but all this is my opinion.

I appreciate the fact he posted his thoughts on what he did. It was not an exhaustive review of speakers that were matched in price but what he was looking at. Helps noobies like me and others get some more info for decision making.

I guess I could have pasted a smiley face after my "stack the deck" comment. But comparing speakers - or any other audio gear is usually done at a similar price point. It leaves me wondering how the Emo 6.2 would stack up against the others considering it has a pair of 6.5 woofers. The comment was made that the ERM-1 (2x 5.25 woofers) didn't go very low.

But over all I enjoyed reading the OPs findings and can't really find fault with the results. He did what I wouldn't.
post #68 of 92
Quote:


Look at his conclusion: The SCS-01 are the best bang for the buck. Excellent overall performance and only slightly behind the CMT 340-SE, but all this is my opinion.

Not at ERM-1s current sale price tag.
post #69 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

The comment was made that the ERM-1 (2x 5.25 woofers) didn't go very low.

The 6.2's have the same spec.
post #70 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

The 6.2's have the same spec.

Never trust Emotiva's published specs.

I think those pair of 6.5 woofers would go below 80hz. Or should. And that spec is +or- 2db so roll-off is somewhere below 80hz.
post #71 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Would have been more of "a fair fight", wouldn't it?
Perhaps the OP wanted to stack the deck?

I think it was due to pricing. The only reason the Ascend 340's made the cut was because they have a good deal on "B" stock.

The other problem I really see with the Emotiva speakers and many entry level receivers is that they require a receiver which can push 4 ohm speakers. I know Onkyo recommended not pushing 4 ohm speakers with the 605/606/607 speaker line and I called Emotiva and they agreed (ie not pushing their speakers without a receiver that is recommended for 4ohm).

Otherwise I would have chosen Emotiva over SVS. But I just could not justify buying a new receiver too.
post #72 of 92
I am deciding between a HSU HB-1s/HC-1 or Ascend CMT-340/170 SE 5.0 package. I posted a brief comparison between the two packages in another thread in this forum

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post16602454
post #73 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

The other problem I really see with the Emotiva speakers and many entry level receivers is that they require a receiver which can push 4 ohm speakers. I know Onkyo recommended not pushing 4 ohm speakers with the 605/606/607 speaker line and I called Emotiva and they agreed (ie not pushing their speakers without a receiver that is recommended for 4ohm).

I keep going back and forth about whether it would be a smart move to try a 5.0 ERM-1 or ERM-6.2 setup powered by my Denon AVR. In the Audioholics review of the 5.0 ERM-1 package Tom Andry "successfully" used a Denon 2307 to drive 5.0 speakers - although he did mention having to crank up the volume a little bit to reach regular levels. I have this year's version of the 2307 - which seems to be right on the cusp of being powerful enough to comfortably drive a 5.0 Erm package at decent levels. It will probably be fine for 95% of my listening demands - but I'm not thrilled about pushing the receiver hard on a regular basis so that it craps out after a couple of years.

To be on the safe side, I have opted to either go with the Ascends or the HSUs...
post #74 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I think it was due to pricing. The only reason the Ascend 340's made the cut was because they have a good deal on "B" stock.

The other problem I really see with the Emotiva speakers and many entry level receivers is that they require a receiver which can push 4 ohm speakers. I know Onkyo recommended not pushing 4 ohm speakers with the 605/606/607 speaker line and I called Emotiva and they agreed (ie not pushing their speakers without a receiver that is recommended for 4ohm).

Otherwise I would have chosen Emotiva over SVS. But I just could not justify buying a new receiver too.

You may want to read a prior post I made concerning that very problem. I don't see Emotiva 4 ohm speakers to be a problem with a good receiver.
post #75 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

I guess I could have pasted a smiley face after my "stack the deck" comment. But comparing speakers - or any other audio gear is usually done at a similar price point. It leaves me wondering how the Emo 6.2 would stack up against the others considering it has a pair of 6.5 woofers. The comment was made that the ERM-1 (2x 5.25 woofers) didn't go very low.

But over all I enjoyed reading the OPs findings and can't really find fault with the results. He did what I wouldn't.

Im sorry if I was a bit harsh. I have found this thread to be educational and helpful for me. Not only did the OP let me listen to the Ascends at his house, he really educated me on numerous issues regarding speakers, subs and overall sound.

Others in this thread have been very helpful as well(ie ack_bk, cschang etc)

The OP did point out for my home setup, because the way my entertainment center is built, a rear port speakers will probably get hanidcapped by sitting on a 26in shelf and be too close to the wall and not at the edge of shelf(to maintain some aethetics that are acceptable to my wife).

He believes the SCS-01 as a sealed speaker will perform better.

I interpret this as a rear port speaker needs a more open environment to maximize their potential, otherwise there being "cheated". I am learning there is alot to consider when buying speakers. Where and how they are placed is critical to obtaining the speakers full potential.

Kinda sad as the Ascend sounded fantastic and looked great.

As for the SCS-01, I did not hear them but based on the OP thoughts they were close despite the cost difference and sounded excellent as well.

Clearly, the 4 set of speakers reviewed all performed in an excellent fashion.

Now I have to decide do I get the SCS-01 and listen to his advice and experience or get the Ascend's knowing they may not perform to their maximal potential but I will know "they are better"
post #76 of 92
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiph View Post

how does everyone like the svs scs for music? ive read enough reviews to know for home theater they should be great but im thinking of pairing the scs set with an ed a2-300 and once the break in is over they will be judged on linkin parks live at milton keys blu ray.

They are great with home theater and music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

Muzikal-JRNE , did you ever specify which receiver you used to test all these speakers?

I used a Technics SA-GX770 stereo receiver that allowed useful A/B comparisons and provided a clean and honest 100W/ch. My new primary receiver will be an Onkyo TX-SR607 which should be arriving this Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

I'm wondering if your results would have been different had you auditioned the Emotiva ERM-6.2's which have a more comparable MSRP to the Ascends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Would have been more of "a fair fight", wouldn't it?
Perhaps the OP wanted to stack the deck?

The ERM-6.2 speakers were over my budget of $250/speaker shipped. The height of the ERM-6.2 in center channel configuration was also slightly too tall for some of the TV stands that I was looking at getting in the near future. (2) 5.25" woofers have the same surface area as a single 7.4" diameter woofer. Also, the HSU speakers had the smallest total woofer area of the group, but had the best bass performance. I also wanted to audition the ERM-1 speakers because they had the same drivers and driver configuration as Emitiva's flagship ERT-8.3 tower speakers which cost $1600/pair. The current sale of the ERM-1 speakers at $159 each shipped is really a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

The other problem I really see with the Emotiva speakers and many entry level receivers is that they require a receiver which can push 4 ohm speakers. I know Onkyo recommended not pushing 4 ohm speakers with the 605/606/607 speaker line and I called Emotiva and they agreed (ie not pushing their speakers without a receiver that is recommended for 4ohm).

Otherwise I would have chosen Emotiva over SVS. But I just could not justify buying a new receiver too.

When 4 ohm speakers are used in receivers that are not rated specifically for 4 ohm use the receiver tends to get hot when they are pushed hard for long periods of time. I would not recommend the combination if the receiver is in a closed cabinet or does not have adequate space above and behind it.
post #77 of 92
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post

Im sorry if I was a bit harsh. I have found this thread to be educational and helpful for me. Not only did the OP let me listen to the Ascends at his house, he really educated me on numerous issues regarding speakers, subs and overall sound.

Others in this thread have been very helpful as well(ie ack_bk, cschang etc)

The OP did point out for my home setup, because the way my entertainment center is built, a rear port speakers will probably get hanidcapped by sitting on a 26in shelf and be too close to the wall and not at the edge of shelf(to maintain some aethetics that are acceptable to my wife).

He believes the SCS-01 as a sealed speaker will perform better.

I interpret this as a rear port speaker needs a more open environment to maximize their potential, otherwise there being "cheated". I am learning there is alot to consider when buying speakers. Where and how they are placed is critical to obtaining the speakers full potential.

Kinda sad as the Ascend sounded fantastic and looked great.

As for the SCS-01, I did not hear them but based on the OP thoughts they were close despite the cost difference and sounded excellent as well.

Clearly, the 4 set of speakers reviewed all performed in an excellent fashion.

Now I have to decide do I get the SCS-01 and listen to his advice and experience or get the Ascend's knowing they may not perform to their maximal potential but I will know "they are better"

I enjoyed having you over Neal. You COULD (a.k.a. should, no pressure though ) audition both the SVS and Ascend speakers for yourself, and keep the one that sounds best for your setup. That way you won't always be wondering, "WHAT IF?". You can share your results with us, and all it would cost you is a little shipping.

Cheers, Joe "the OP"
post #78 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikal-JRNE View Post

As a side note... I will be using Emotiva ERD-1 speakers for surround duty. They use the same drivers as the ERM-1, but with a [T-W-T] angled horizontal configuration, and are nice and compact. They incorporate switches for dipole/bipole configuration so they can be adjusted optimally for any location.

http://emotiva.com/erd1.shtm

I am curious about why you decided to go with the ERD-1s over something from Ascend for the surrounds. Are you not concerned about differences in voicing? If you already have the ERDs are you able to comment on how well they "match" the Ascends in front?

I would also like to mention my appreciation for your taking the time to post your opinions and respond to questions on these speakers in this thread!
post #79 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikal-JRNE View Post


Im sorry if I was a bit harsh.

I also wanted to audition the ERM-1 speakers because they had the same drivers and driver configuration as Emitiva's flagship ERT-8.3 tower speakers which cost $3200/pair. The current sale of the ERM-1 speakers at $159 each shipped is really a great deal.

I own the Emotiva 8.3s. Your price is off by twice or more. The 8.3s sell for $799 each. The mid range and highs of the 8.3 is nothing short of fantastic. They easily bested my last mains, Infinity Interlude IL40s. Great sounding speaker, but there is no contest between the two.

As to ported vs sealed woofer design, I hear more bass from my ported IL40s than I do from the 8.3s, but the 8.3 bass is much tighter sounding, more definition. As for the mids, as I said above, I like the mids so well on the 8.3 that I decided to buy 3 of the ERM-1s for the bedroom, replacing a very good pair of Infinity IL30s.

As for the "Im sorry if I was a bit harsh", well, I must have missed something. At 61 years old I tend to ignore more than I did at 31. But I get into less fights than I used to.

You guys keep up the great posts on these small speakers. Too often potential buyers ignore these small speakers because they are.....well.....small. Add a sub and you have as good as...and sometimes better than a tower setup. Everyone wants towers....as long as the wife is receptive to the idea.

I also own the ERDs and always like hearing other's impression of this speaker. I like mine. Can't imagine replacing them. Of course they match to perfection the 8.3 towers. My center channel baffles some people, its an AV123 bigfoot sig series. If there is a better CC for the money ($499?) I don't know what that would be. All driven with an Emotiva UPA-7 amp.
post #80 of 92
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynan View Post

I am curious about why you decided to go with the ERD-1s over something from Ascend for the surrounds. Are you not concerned about differences in voicing? If you already have the ERDs are you able to comment on how well they "match" the Ascends in front?

I would also like to mention my appreciation for your taking the time to post your opinions and respond to questions on these speakers in this thread!

Thanks. I appreciate your appreciation. I decided to go for the ERD-1 speakers for a few reasons: (1) The ability to set up each speaker in dipole, bipole, or inverted-dipole configurations will allow me to get the best surround performance out of less than ideal surround speaker placements in my 5.1 setup. (2) From my detailed auditions with the ERM-1 speakers, I feel that the ERD-1 speakers will sonically blend nicely with the Ascends in surround duty. (3) I will be mounting them on the walls and their shallow/sealed design lends itself to this beautifully. The ERD-1 speakers just came back in stock and mine should be arriving tomorrow. I will not be permanently setting them up until I move in to my new house, but I will try to give my "Jimmy-Rigged" impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

I own the Emotiva 8.3s. Your price is off by twice or more. The 8.3s sell for $799 each. The mid range and highs of the 8.3 is nothing short of fantastic. They easily bested my last mains, Infinity Interlude IL40s. Great sounding speaker, but there is no contest between the two.

You are correct. I apologize for misquoting the price on the 8.3 speakers. As I as replying to a post, I quickly checked Emotiva's site for the price of the speakers and did not notice that the price was per pair. All of the other speakers are listed as the price for each speaker except for their surround speakers. Thank you for straightening out the facts.

I bet your Emotiva surround system sounds amazing. Definitely somthing to be proud of.

Cheers, Joe
post #81 of 92
FWIW I emailed Dave at Ascends. I decided after listening to the CMT340 L/C/R and ordered them last night

I will post my results, nothing as fancy as Joe but at least let people know how they sound on shelf.
post #82 of 92
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post

FWIW I emailed Dave at Ascends. I decided after listening to the CMT340 L/C/R and ordered them last night

I will post my results, nothing as fancy as Joe but at least let people know how they sound on shelf.

Congratulations Neal I know that you will really enjoy them. I actually unpluged one of my CMT-340 speakers last night and set it on top of my entertainment center in my master bedroom (Curiosity just got the best of me). I plugged it into the left channel of my Samsung HTIB and gave it a go. And you know what... it sounded great. The speaker was at the front edge on top of the entertainment center. I know it will sound good in your setup after seeing the pictures of your room and doing my little impromptu sound check. Just remember to try to bring it as far forward as you can.

Cheers, Joe
post #83 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post

FWIW I emailed Dave at Ascends. I decided after listening to the CMT340 L/C/R and ordered them last night

I will post my results, nothing as fancy as Joe but at least let people know how they sound on shelf.

Congrats. Please come back and post your impression once you get them up and running
post #84 of 92
I'm needing a little assistance deciding between the HB-1 or the Sierra's. Are the Sierra's going to be a huge improvement over the HB-1? There sure is a big price difference. Thanks for any input!
post #85 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvoid View Post

I'm needing a little assistance deciding between the HB-1 or the Sierra's. Are the Sierra's going to be a huge improvement over the HB-1? There sure is a big price difference. Thanks for any input!

IMO....absolutely, but don't take my word for it. Demo'ing a pair of each is very easy and relatively inexpensive to do. That way you can decide if the differences are worth the cost to you.

That's what anyone should do instead of wondering or even questioning why someone liked something over another. I have heard speakers that I thought sounded terrible, but someone else really liked. It really makes you wonder, and all you can do is chalk it up to differences in taste.
post #86 of 92
Well as my luck goes UPS delayed shipment and the speakers are in 2 packages. One delivers on and another the next.

Now the wait, it will be next Mon/Tuesday till I get them.

BTW, Ascend shipped very quickly after the order.( I ordered them the night before and they shipped next day)
post #87 of 92
As an update to those still trying to decide which speakers to get of those in this thread - I got my 3 ERMs yesterday. I've posted a review of them on the Emotiva Lounge.

Of particular note is how well they sound with a rather average receiver not rated for 4 ohm speakers, an HK AVR 247 rated at 50wpc at 8 ohms "all channels driven". They do not drive the receiver into protection mode - or at least haven't yet. With the moderate amount of heat coming out of the receiver I don't expect any problems.

And given the current price point of these speakers on closeout - you'd better hurry if you are interested.
post #88 of 92
I promised to come back and psot some comments. I am no audiophile so I cant make the detailed and excellent comparison done by Joe.

First, my setup is a Pio 111FD and VSX-01txh, PS3, Philips DVD player. I bought Ascend CMT 340SE mains and center channel. I have 2 surround speakers in my ceiling they are TruAudio CP-6(coaxial setup with woofer/tweeter).

I bought B-stock setup. I have to tell you, I am hard pressed to see any flaws that would make these not sold as new by any other manufacturer from experience(may not in internet audio). There was a question spot on a corner of one main that looked like extra material, no chip or missing paint. The other main or the same one(I cant recall now) had I think a faint scratch like mark.

I had to really look for something that I would call a minor flaw. If this is Ascends quality control, IMHO it is amazing. Cudos, Dave.

Also, Dave and Dina answered all my questions quickly and politely, no matter how stupid.

I know you guys care more about sound. I can speak to neutral, muddy etc. I heard some this with Joe when he compared my HTIB speakers vs the Ascends.

I have watched several DVDs and HDTV. No Blu-Rays yet. I have FIOS. The music channels are not broadcast in 5.1 surround sound, not sure why. However, the sound was clear, sharp, detailed. There were nice highs. My sub is still the HTIB.(I am waiting on eD A2-300, which is being built)

My wife immediately could tell the sound was clearer and more detailed.

I did note dialogue was heard more easily at lower volumes for the same shows. The dialogue was "more discernible", not muffled or muddy.

My family(son and wife) has been listening at slightly higher volume. When I enter the house it clearly louder. They did not even note it was louder and seem to enjoy the audio much more.

I know I am hearing details not noticed on my old speakers.

I highly recommend them.
post #89 of 92
Glad you are enjoying the system

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post

I have FIOS. The music channels are not broadcast in 5.1 surround sound, not sure why.

Palladia, FiOS channel 711 here in the LA area, is in 5.1.
post #90 of 92
Well, I carefully listened to them in my bedroom - where I would be using them - and have concluded they would need a sub to fill out the low end. As I was unwilling - and unable without reworking the room layout - decided to send the ERM-1s back. They do sound sweet - but need the sub. They must roll off hard from the 80hz spec. The IL30s - even though they are a bit sloppy in the low bass area - have far more bass than the ERM-1s are capable of. I wanted to like them but getting a sub would mean sticking it tight into a corner where it would be hard pressed to make good bass.

When I made the decision to ship the ERM-1 back I decided to go with 4 Infinity Beta 20s and a C360 center. I've been using the Beta 20s the past 2 days and I'm very pleased with them. While the bass is a bit sloppy - no surprise to me as they have the same 2 drivers as the IL30s - they sound quite good in the mid and highs and deliver enough bass to keep me happy.

So...for anyone looking for a pair or more of decent, if not quite audiophile quality speakers - you can get these on ebay for very good prices. The four I have cost me a grand total of 217$ shipped!

Check em out on Harman's ebay store.

Maybe I shouldn't have been so surprised at how well the Beta 20s sound - after all I've owned Infinity Interlude speakers - IL50s - IL40s - and IL30s for the past 9 years - and the Betas are a direct spin-off of the Interlude line.

And FWIW I have a pair of IL40s on ebay. Check em out if you are looking for great sounding floorstanders.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › In-Home Speaker Reviews {Emotiva/HSU/Ascend/SVS}