or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1610/590 owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1610/590 owner's thread - Page 62

post #1831 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphmkd View Post

Can this be fixed so that the quick select buttons will remember to use auto as input mode?
Can quick select buttons be set to use other inputs other then the predefined ones? The only setting I found for quick select buttons is to change the displayed names.

Sure it can be fixed. The Quick Select buttons are just like the buttons on your car radio. On the car radio, you find the station you want, hold the button in a few seconds, and voila! ...it maps that station to that particular button. The same works for the Quick Selects, you just need to go a little farther in the Owner's manual (p. 45), although you would think they would have put the naming of the Quick Selects (p. 29) with the procedure on how to use them. In your case, after you have changed the INPUT MODE to AUTO, just hold down the VCR Quick Select button (on the front panel vice using the remote; or whichever one you want to use) a few seconds longer and it will "rememorize" that new setting.
post #1832 of 5195
I have a AVR-590 which I've been able to successfully use Audyssey autosetup in the past. Recently, when I switched out my front mains, I ran auto setup again but the setup process acted very strange. It sends tones to the speakers but keeps increasing the volume for each speaker, usually stopping and displaying the message that there is too much ambient noise.

It will sometimes get through the process (all speakers) but after calculation, it sets the trim levels in the speakers to almost the maximum, the distance on the subwoofer to about 1 ft. and the cross over frequencies well over 250hz.

This has worked perfectly in the past but now it seems like the microphone may be broken and not hearing the tones correctly. I called Denon and they want me to return the microphone (DM-A409).

Has anyone seen this problem or can lend any help or pointers ?

Thanks
post #1833 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacioci View Post

I have a AVR-590 which I've been able to successfully use Audyssey autosetup in the past. Recently, when I switched out my front mains, I ran auto setup again but the setup process acted very strange. It sends tones to the speakers but keeps increasing the volume for each speaker, usually stopping and displaying the message that there is too much ambient noise.

It will sometimes get through the process (all speakers) but after calculation, it sets the trim levels in the speakers to almost the maximum, the distance on the subwoofer to about 1 ft. and the cross over frequencies well over 250hz.

This has worked perfectly in the past but now it seems like the microphone may be broken and not hearing the tones correctly. I called Denon and they want me to return the microphone (DM-A409).

Has anyone seen this problem or can lend any help or pointers ?

Thanks

Have you try resetting the microprocessor?
post #1834 of 5195
Quote:


Have you try resetting the microprocessor?

Yes I have, that's the first thing I tried.
post #1835 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacioci View Post

Has anyone seen this problem or can lend any help or pointers ?

Get a new mic. If you've got a Best Buy nearby, give them a call and see if they have a new one they can exchange with you. As Denon's biggest customer, they have been known to change out a mic even if you didn't buy the AVR from them.
post #1836 of 5195
Hi

I recently bought an open box 1610 at best buy (for 149.99!) but it didn't come with a mic. Is there any way I can acquire one?
post #1837 of 5195
You can find one on eBay here as well as from Denon. In fact I'd snap one of the eBay one's up now as they're not always available. Make sure you get the DM-A409 though as it's specifically designed for that model.
post #1838 of 5195
Only read the last 15 or so pages of this thread. I saw that 1 or 2 people had trouble getting sound from the TV speakers when they wanted. Is this an issue? I plan on buying this very shortly and If I can't easily have this go to TV speakers upon demand I will need a lawyer. Is this something you need to do during setup? If so, at what point?
post #1839 of 5195
Thanks jdsmoothie, I wonder if it's the receiver receptacle or the cord itself?

Is there any problems with me connecting a 3 prong cord to test? I can't see there being any, but just want to be sure (I don't have any 2 prong cords).

Thanks again...
post #1840 of 5195
I haven't posted anything here in a very long time but always appreciate the excellent advice and commentary found here on the AVS Forums.

I have the following speaker setup (all Paradigm):

2 x Atoms v.3 (fronts)
1 x Center CC-170 v.3 (center channel)
2 x ADP 170 (rear surrounds)

TV = 42" Panny Plasma

Bluray = Samsung BDP1600
ioBox 100HD NMT
Bell 6131 HiDef Sat Box

Basically I'm wondering if the AVR 590 would be a good receiver and fit in with my existing devices or should I be looking at the AVR 790 / 1910 instead?

Thanks for the responses,
Eric
post #1841 of 5195
Thanks jdsmoothie!

Definitely gonna snap that one up ASAP.
post #1842 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post

Only read the last 15 or so pages of this thread. I saw that 1 or 2 people had trouble getting sound from the TV speakers when they wanted. Is this an issue? I plan on buying this very shortly and If I can't easily have this go to TV speakers upon demand I will need a lawyer. Is this something you need to do during setup? If so, at what point?

Do you mean with the AVR ON or in Standby? The AVR is designed to pass HDMI only sources to the TV speakers either way. Generally when there is a problem it's because the TV's HDMI-CEC setting was ON when it should be OFF.
post #1843 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltan View Post

Basically I'm wondering if the AVR 590 would be a good receiver and fit in with my existing devices or should I be looking at the AVR 790 / 1910 instead?

Thanks for the responses,
Eric

As stated in the first post of this thread ... unless you need something that the 1910 offers (eg. SD upscaling) that the 1610 does not, there's no reason not to choose the 1610/590. The audio quality between them is the same.
post #1844 of 5195
I bought the 590 about a month ago and so far it has been great. Do you guys recommend purchasing the extended warranty since I have another few days left to purchase it.
post #1845 of 5195
As long as you bought it from an Authorized vendor then the 2 year warranty should be more than sufficient (and if you used an Amex card, you've actually got 3 years!).
post #1846 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As long as you bought it from an Authorized vendor then the 2 year warranty should be more than sufficient (and if you used an Amex card, you've actually got 3 years!).

I bought it from Best Buy.......I thought it would just be easier to drop off to them for repairs if need be. How does shipping cost to send to Denon when covered under their warranty?
post #1847 of 5195
In addition to the factory repair center in NJ, Denon has Authorized Repair Center locations all over the country and generally several in each state. The owner pays for shipping to the repair center and Denon pays for shipping back to you.
post #1848 of 5195
I have a question about the 1610 AVR. The manual says that "The video conversion function supports the NTSC, PAL, SECAM, NTSC 4.43, PAL-N, PAL-M and PAL-60
formats." Now, if I have PAL source (DVD player) connected to US version of 1610 and NTSC TV, would the AVR convert the picture from PAL system to NTSC so it gets displayed properly? Also, can it convert any of the above systems to HD (720p, 1080i/p) so I can get around the whole PAL/NTSC issue?

Thanks.
post #1849 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Get a new mic. If you've got a Best Buy nearby, give them a call and see if they have a new one they can exchange with you. As Denon's biggest customer, they have been known to change out a mic even if you didn't buy the AVR from them.

Thanks jdsmoothie. I went to Best Buy and they were able to exchange the mic. Hooked up the new one and was able to run auto setup perfectly.
post #1850 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by drabina View Post

I have a question about the 1610 AVR. The manual says that "The video conversion function supports the NTSC, PAL, SECAM, NTSC 4.43, PAL-N, PAL-M and PAL-60
formats." Now, if I have PAL source (DVD player) connected to US version of 1610 and NTSC TV, would the AVR convert the picture from PAL system to NTSC so it gets displayed properly? Also, can it convert any of the above systems to HD (720p, 1080i/p) so I can get around the whole PAL/NTSC issue?

Thanks.

As the 1610 does no video upscaling, what that passage means is that the 1610 will convert a composite, S-Video, or component video signal to an HDMI signal. Basically the 576i that you pass in from the PAL source would be output as 576i to the TV. The next model up, 1910 would upscale the 576i to an HD resolution (720p, 1080i, or 1080p), although not sure how good the quality would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacioci View Post

Thanks jdsmoothie. I went to Best Buy and they were able to exchange the mic. Hooked up the new one and was able to run auto setup perfectly.

Great! Best Buy comes thru once again!
post #1851 of 5195
Hi, DHT-590BA brothers

I need your help in HDMI connection issue.
I`m not sure if it`s possible. I`ve traying to connect PC - AVR - monitor LCD using HDMI, but no luck.
The video card is the ATI HD5850 (using HDMI out) and the monitor is a Samsung P2370 (DVI in - 1920x1080).
I connect the card to HDMI - HDP (others inputs same result) and the monitor to HDMI out using HDMI-DVI cable. I get only menu texts (receiver). No display image (PC boot post, desktop). The information menu shows DVI monitor, but no HDMI signal (HDMI indicator is off). When I take the monitor-AVR cable off, the HDMI indicator is on.
I`ve a LG Bluray drive for movies, but no HDMI established.
I`ve playing only with soundcard toslink-S/PDIF connection to AVR and the monitor direct to videocard (HDMI [card] -> DVI [LCD]).
My sistem is running on Windows 7 x64, all drivers update.
Any suggestion?
post #1852 of 5195
Took the plunge today and purchased an AVR 590 and so far I am very happy with it. The only issue I seem to be having is getting the HD Audio working properly. I have a Samsung BDP1600 and the audio setting is set to PCM. When I put in Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince which is Dolby True HD the blue HD Audio doesn't light up.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric
post #1853 of 5195
Just a quick question ... does the dynamic Volume feature work on all of the Audio Inputs, or just if your using HDMI??
post #1854 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltan View Post

Took the plunge today and purchased an AVR 590 and so far I am very happy with it. The only issue I seem to be having is getting the HD Audio working properly. I have a Samsung BDP1600 and the audio setting is set to PCM. When I put in Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince which is Dolby True HD the blue HD Audio doesn't light up.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

When you set the BDP to output PCM audio, it means the BDP is doing the decoding so you won't see the blue light on the 590 which means the 590 is doing the decoding. It's the same audio either way. That particular BDP may have an issue bitstreaming to the 590 in which case you must have the BDP doing the decoding to PCM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_622 View Post

Just a quick question ... does the dynamic Volume feature work on all of the Audio Inputs, or just if your using HDMI??

All inputs.
post #1855 of 5195
Hey guys,
I just hooked up the Denon AVR-590 that I got for $350 at FS a couple days ago. I also hooked up a Polk Audio PSW111 that I got for a decent price.
I'm using a PS3 slim for a blu-ray player but most my movies are in mkv and I just stream it with PS3mediaserver.

I was really disappointed though when I turned it all on. Maybe I didn't set it up right. I did run the Audgyssey Auto Setup. and everything was alright.

Maybe its the receiver since it is only rate 75W. I'm not sure if thats RMS or peak though.

These are the speakers I'm running. I'm still using my old Kenwood speakers back from 1996.

Kenwood 3-way Tower Speaker System JL-929
-12" Cone type Woofer
-5" Cone Type Midrange
-1" Cone Type Tweeter
-8 ohms
Max Input Power - 180 watts
Rate Input Power - 90 Watts
Sensitivity - 92 dB/W at 1m
Frequency Response - 30 Hz to 20,000 Hz
Crossover Frequency - 2000 Hz, 5000 Hz

Before I was using these as pre/pro amp

Kenwood Stereo Power Amplifier KM-992
Kenwood KM-992
-150 RMS (8 ohms, 20Hz to 20 kHz, THD 0.03%)
(8 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.004%
Frequency Response 5 Hz to 200kHz, +0dB,-3dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 120dB (MAIN IN)
Damping Factor More than 35 at 50 Hz into 8 ohms
Weight 19lb

Is it because this receiver is not powerful enough to drive these speakers?

I also ordered the Yamaha RX-V665/HTR6260B but that hasn't come in yet.
post #1856 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As the 1610 does no video upscaling, what that passage means is that the 1610 will convert a composite, S-Video, or component video signal to an HDMI signal. Basically the 576i that you pass in from the PAL source would be output as 576i to the TV. The next model up, 1910 would upscale the 576i to an HD resolution (720p, 1080i, or 1080p), although not sure how good the quality would be.

Are you sure? I have recall seeing somewhere that 1610 will upscale all analog signals to 480p but I can't find where I have seen it. 480p is still not good for me as 576 would be truncated (I think). And I thought I found a good solution for me and my PAL/NTSC problem :-( Back to the drawing board.
post #1857 of 5195
You're confusing deinterlacing 480i ---> 480p with upscaling which changes the resolution to a larger screen size ... two different things.
post #1858 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You're confusing deinterlacing 480i ---> 480p with upscaling which changes the resolution to a larger screen size ... two different things.

You are right. I got misled by the vague description.
post #1859 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman56 View Post

I bought the 590 about a month ago and so far it has been great. Do you guys recommend purchasing the extended warranty from Best Buy since I have another few days left to purchase it.

Any other opinions on this?
post #1860 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman56 View Post

Any other opinions on this?

Not sure what other replies you got but check with your credit card. Most CCs will extend original 1 year warranty to 2 years. Personally, I never buy extended warranties.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1610/590 owner's thread