or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1610/590 owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1610/590 owner's thread - Page 164

post #4891 of 5195
^^
Sorry, but no it does't have the feature. Only the XX11/X91 models and later are HDMI 1.4 which is required for ARC ... the 590 is only HDMI 1.3. Simply connect an optical cable from the TV audio out to the 590 and you'll get the same result.
post #4892 of 5195
Thanks jdsmoothie
post #4893 of 5195
I currently own a 590 for my HT and love it, but I recently picked up a Sony 3100es SACD/DVD player ($30 at Sony Outlet!) for my 2.1 music set up. Sounds great on an old Sony 5.1 receiver I have, but the receiver doesn't have the analog 5.1 inputs I need for multi-channel audio. Was looking at the refurbs on Dakmarts page and have been doing research online. Looks like the 1705, 1706, 698, 598, 485s, 486s, 1707, 1907 are all within my price range (under $200). Anyone have any experience/opinions on these in terms of SQ? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
post #4894 of 5195
SACD/DSD passed as multi channel PCM over HDMI to the 590 is likely to get you very similar audio quality.
post #4895 of 5195
Thanks for the reply, but the 3100 only does SACD 5.1 over the analog outputs (per the manual). So the 590 isn't an option, as much as that would be nice. Just looking for a cheap option for 5.1 analog inputs with good SQ.
post #4896 of 5195
That being the case, you would be better served picking up a SACD player (BDP) that can decode the DSD and output it over HDMI so you can utilize the bass management/Audyssey in the 590.
post #4897 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacgregor View Post

I took my AVR-590 to my local Service Centre yesterday. I asked him to check the HDMI-Out Port and flash the latest firmware.
It should be ready in a week...all under warranty.

I called the Service Centre yesterday and it was confirmed that the HDMI board is defective.
They sent out for a new one.
The original one week estimate is now turning into one month.
They have already flashed the new firmware.
post #4898 of 5195
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrosa1 View Post

Thanks for the reply, but the 3100 only does SACD 5.1 over the analog outputs (per the manual). So the 590 isn't an option, as much as that would be nice. Just looking for a cheap option for 5.1 analog inputs with good SQ.

to answer the original question, there isn't that much to separate the older units. They are all older, non-HDMI models with no room correction (no Audyssey) so the only meaningful differences will be the power ratings and the number of inputs on the back. So, you would probably want the highest model number possible (e.g. the 19xx models are better than the 17xx models) with the assumption that it will have more power, better components, etc.

that said, once you are shopping for older non-HDMI receivers to build a multich analog rig I bet you could get better value buying used locally (craigslist). Once you remove the need for HDMI or room correction, for that $150-200 you are spending on a refurb low end model, you could find some high end receiver that is 5 or so years old that retailed for $1000+ originally, and it will have better build, better amps, DAC's, etc.

for example, I just scoped out Columbus OH craigslist and found these old powerhouses:

Denon 3802: http://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/2686702848.html
Yamaha RX-V995: http://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/2676174124.html
post #4899 of 5195
Thanks for the response and the suggestions batpig.
Guess I need to update my profile. I'm living in the LA area now, so I'll check out the local craigslist listings.
post #4900 of 5195
Thread Starter 
LA is even better, SoCal has a very vibrant craigslist with tons of deals...
post #4901 of 5195
guys i have a denon 1609 but cannot find a thread on it. maybe the 1610 is close enough to the 1609 so i thought i would ask here. i have energy take classic 5.1 system. the problem is i cant find my manual.

my sub keeps cutting off and i get audio drops so i want to check if my speakers are set to small.
can anyone tell me what button/series i need to do so i can check my speaker setting?
post #4902 of 5195
^^
You can download a copy of your Owner's manual at Denon's Downloads website. Once downloaded, refer to p. 22.
post #4903 of 5195
I have a problem with my audio when watching bluray and some dvd movies.. some parts of the audio including speech won't work in my right surround speaker and my right stereo speaker. Other sound effects come out just fine.
There is no problem when watching simple rips or playing xbox apparently. But it happened one day when I wanted to watch a bluray rip.
I think I might have turned something on or off by accident. I usually watch stuff with 5ch stereo setting on and now it says "5ch st 96k".. what is that 96k? I don't recall it being there before. Could that have something to do with the audio output acting up?
post #4904 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasgs1 View Post

I have a problem with my audio when watching bluray and some dvd movies.. some parts of the audio including speech won't work in my right surround speaker and my right stereo speaker. Other sound effects come out just fine.
There is no problem when watching simple rips or playing xbox apparently. But it happened one day when I wanted to watch a bluray rip.
I think I might have turned something on or off by accident. I usually watch stuff with 5ch stereo setting on and now it says "5ch st 96k".. what is that 96k? I don't recall it being there before. Could that have something to do with the audio output acting up?

The 5-channel stereo mode is used to extend 2.0 stereo content to the surround and center speakers, but most theatrical Blu-ray content will have 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 soundtracks.

It is uncommon for dialogue to be mixed to come out of the surrounds. Typically, dialogue is mixed to come out of the center channel. If you play back 2.0 stereo sources using 5-channel stereo, dialogue will come out everywhere, which I think most people would find awkward. However, this won't be the case when playing back content mixed for 5.1 or greater channels.

I noticed you didn't mention the left channels. Are you finding that dialogue is heard from the left, but not the right? If so, I would suggest doing the speaker test to make sure your speakers are wired correctly. This will allow you to hear isolated audio out of each of the channels.

96k is a sample rate (96 kHz) which only some content will support. (Most Blu-rays still use 48 kHz though as do most DVDs. CDs use 44.1 kHz.)
post #4905 of 5195
Well, I got my receiver back yesterday.
The owner apologized for taking so long.
The HDMI board was replaced.
The HDMI video from the Bluray player is OK now and the DTS-HD MA is rock solid due to the firmware upgrade but...
There is now no on-screen display for the Setup Menus thru HDMI - it's still OK thru the composite video connector.
Am I missing something here or did the repair shop mess up?
I'm assuming they checked it and I will call them tomorrow.
The connection is as follows...

Bluray ---> HDMI2 HDP ... HDMI Monitor ---> TV
post #4906 of 5195
^^
Try resetting the microprocessor (p. 57).
post #4907 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Try resetting the microprocessor (p. 57).

Why would I do that?
post #4908 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacgregor View Post


Why would I do that?

Because a) it is a standard troubleshooting technique b) jdsmoothie is extremely knowledgeable about these receivers and he suggested it and c) it's much easier than taking your receiver back to the shop.
post #4909 of 5195
I was assuming that the Service Shop would have done this already in the process of fixing the receiver and that they would have checked this out before handing it over to me..not an unreasonable assumption.
I will phone them today and ask them, and Denon Support to get their take on both the problem/solution as well as their assessment of the quality of the work for this "authorized service centre".
It's more of an annoyance than a problem (since the on-screen menu works through the composite).
If everyone agrees on the "reset" then I will do so before running the Audyssey setup (which I have not had a chance to do since I got it back).
I appreciate jdsmoothie's expertise and assistance.
post #4910 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacgregor View Post

Why would I do that?

Whenever you purchase an open box/demo or receive a unit back from a repair center, it's a good idea to reset the microprocessor to ensure all settings are returned to their factory defaults, and especially in your case where you have an issue already.

You may also want to confirm whether the firmware was updated. Refer to the post below ... about 1/2 way down is the procedure to determine the firmware version.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post17512496
post #4911 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Whenever you purchase an open box/demo or receive a unit back from a repair center, it's a good idea to reset the microprocessor to ensure all settings are returned to their factory defaults, and especially in your case where you have an issue already.

You may also want to confirm whether the firmware was updated. Refer to the post below ... about 1/2 way down is the procedure to determine the firmware version.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post17512496

Thank you for the clarification jdsmoothie.
Here is an update.
I called Denon Support and I explained the situation.
He had me do 2 procedures.
First he had me turn off the On-screen display in the Menu and power off the receiver and wait 1 minute and then power it on and turn the On-screen display settinng back on. He asked if that solved the problem...it didn't.

Then he had me reset the microprocessor and try again. It still did not work and he was actually quite surprised. He recommended that I bring it back to the Service Shop and had them reflash the firmware. I told him, frankly, that since it was just an annoyance that I would probably not. He understood but said that he was not comfortable with me having a receiver that did not work 100%. I found that very refreshing. He was very friendly and professional.

I then called the Service Shop and explained the problem. Their particular problem is that they don't keep good notes, both on the input side and the output side. Although I did mention the on-screen HDMI problem, they only wrote down the HDMI audio/video problems. They also neglected to note whether the firmware was upgraded or not even though 2 weeks after I brought it in when I phoned to get a status report, the technician said he had just flashed the firmware. I gently recommended that they keep better notes.

By the way, the firmware checking procedure detailed in the link doesn't work - I tried it 3 times.


Thanks again.
post #4912 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

The 5-channel stereo mode is used to extend 2.0 stereo content to the surround and center speakers, but most theatrical Blu-ray content will have 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 soundtracks.

It is uncommon for dialogue to be mixed to come out of the surrounds. Typically, dialogue is mixed to come out of the center channel. If you play back 2.0 stereo sources using 5-channel stereo, dialogue will come out everywhere, which I think most people would find awkward. However, this won't be the case when playing back content mixed for 5.1 or greater channels.

I noticed you didn't mention the left channels. Are you finding that dialogue is heard from the left, but not the right? If so, I would suggest doing the speaker test to make sure your speakers are wired correctly. This will allow you to hear isolated audio out of each of the channels.

96k is a sample rate (96 kHz) which only some content will support. (Most Blu-rays still use 48 kHz though as do most DVDs. CDs use 44.1 kHz.)

I tried the speaker test and everything seems fine.
The left speakers have dialogue and all sounds just fine but the right ones don't have dialogue. This occurs when I watch bluray! It's very strange.. any suggestions?
EDIT: I just tried it on my acer laptop (windows 7) and it works just fine on that one.. the problem only occurs on my MacBook Pro! Hmm..
EDIT 2: Ok I fixed it.. I had to change the VLC player settings. The output was set to HDMI (the denon).. it was supposed to be set to HDMI Encoded Output apparantly.. so fixed!
post #4913 of 5195
Hello guys it's been awhile! I been having a problem with the 1610 not auto detecting digital dolby from my dish dvr and the blue ray player not playing audio back in HD. Anyone know why it's not detecting it?
post #4914 of 5195
Thread Starter 
because the sources aren't sending it.

You can confirm this by checking "audio input signal" in the information section of the OSD menus. Go back to your sources and check your settings.
post #4915 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

because the sources aren't sending it.

You can confirm this by checking "audio input signal" in the information section of the OSD menus. Go back to your sources and check your settings.

Well I gave everything a good reset then started working, but i'll check next time it happens!


Thanks bitpig!
post #4916 of 5195
Guys -

Quick question - Why isn't my Denon-AVR1610's menu showing up for me on my tv? Im trying to edit settings and it's only showing up on the Denon's small screen and it's waaay more troublesome than its worth. HELP!

TV is saying "No signal - Check connected device's power, cable connection, and source selection."
post #4917 of 5195
Ok, so here's some more information.

I just bought some new Paradigm Atom Monitor 7's to replace my front soundstage of a Pinnacle Audio 5.1 setup. My intention was to have a nice hybrid 2.0/4.1 setup to use for movie watching (5.1) and vinyls/cd (2.0).

Once I had the speakers installed, I re-ran Audyssey to learn their new parameters, placement, etc., for proper configuration. Once everything was up-to-snuff, I put in my blu-ray of Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds acoustic concert. I initially selected the PCM Stereo (48khz/24) but it sounded AWFUL. The new speakers were picking up waaaay too much bass, and the sub wasn't even firing. So I messed around with my Denon's settings, and found that the speakers were set to a 40khz crossover, which I switched up to 80khz. However, in going back to the PCM Stereo mode, it STILL sounds just as bad!?!?

I have NO idea where my settings are messed up. When I select the Dolby Digital 5.1 (640kbps) or the Dolby TrueHD (96khz/24 bit) the audio sounds just fine. Im running blu-rays and CD's through my PS3, so I suppose that could be effecting things as well.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.


Best Regards,
Matt
post #4918 of 5195
Ok, figured it out. I had to select Direct or Stereo on the receiver (is one better??).

I think Im good now. lol

-Matt
post #4919 of 5195
Well, another issue...

Im watching football right now using 5ch stereo, and my surround speakers are popping about 2-3 times per second. I checked all of my connections and everything is tight, snug, and secure. What else could the issue be? This is awfully annoying to listen to.

edit: It's all the speakers. Just put it in 2ch stereo and they pop too. Fuuuuuuu

-Matt
post #4920 of 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgproudfit View Post

Well, another issue...

Im watching football right now using 5ch stereo, and my surround speakers are popping about 2-3 times per second. I checked all of my connections and everything is tight, snug, and secure. What else could the issue be? This is awfully annoying to listen to.

edit: It's all the speakers. Just put it in 2ch stereo and they pop too. Fuuuuuuu

-Matt

Does this issue happen with other sources?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1610/590 owner's thread