or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Denon AVR-4310CI Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon AVR-4310CI Thread - Page 169

post #5041 of 5296
The card runs for about $140 and can easily be replaced in about 5 minutes, although a repair shop would likely charge their hourly rate which can range from $60-$90/hr, for a rough total cost of $200-$230.

4310CI NIC – 8R1891001100D (DM 860 Sub Assy)
post #5042 of 5296
Contact Denon, they will likely repair at no charge.
post #5043 of 5296
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbarrickman View Post

I am a noob when it comes to internet,computers,etc. so I am need of some help. A representative of Denon customer service has offered to help me have my 4310 serviced
and has requested I "attach a copy of the receipt" for him in an email. Does this mean to
scan the receipt to make a copy and send as an attachment? The ink on my receipt
has faded some but since I bought it from Best Buy maybe they could print a fresh duplicate
copy. I have posted before about my unit's FM HD radio "motorboat" sound problem (so have
other AVS members) so I've finally decided to ship unit to NJ for service. I am hoping they will
replace the NIC card too...does anyone know if Denon will do this even if your unit isn't showing
symptoms of NIC failure? I have learned from previous posts here that the HD radio issue is NOT related to the NIC card but rather to a bad "HD Radio Tuner Module" part that has to replaced...If any of you have experience with Denon NJ service related to providing
receipt for them and/or getting your 4310 repaired I'd love to hear from you, especially if you've had your NIC card replaced and/or HD radio repaired. Thanks in advance. David.

I had both my NIC and HD Tuner Module replaced at the same time, had the motorboat problem also. Was not having any serious NIC problems at the time, but I took it to a local authorized Denon repair center here in Phoenix. They were very aware of the NIC problems on the 4310, but I was the first with the HD Tuner problem.

Don't know if they tested the NIC and found some problems that I had not noticed, or they just replaced it under warranty since it was such a common problem. NIC has worked fine since then, but I had the motorboat problem happen again, even after they replaced the HD Tuner. Just got it back out of the shop a month or so ago for my 2nd HD Tuner. So far, everything is working fine.

If you have a local denon authorized shop, you might get them to do both since the NIC is such a common problem, or even if you ship it to NJ, ask anyway them to replace it anyway, you might get lucky.
post #5044 of 5296
[]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcondo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbarrickman View Post

I am a noob when it comes to internet,computers,etc. so I am need of some help. A representative of Denon customer service has offered to help me have my 4310 serviced
and has requested I "attach a copy of the receipt" for him in an email. Does this mean to
scan the receipt to make a copy and send as an attachment? The ink on my receipt
has faded some but since I bought it from Best Buy maybe they could print a fresh duplicate
copy. I have posted before about my unit's FM HD radio "motorboat" sound problem (so have
other AVS members) so I've finally decided to ship unit to NJ for service. I am hoping they will
replace the NIC card too...does anyone know if Denon will do this even if your unit isn't showing
symptoms of NIC failure? I have learned from previous posts here that the HD radio issue is NOT related to the NIC card but rather to a bad "HD Radio Tuner Module" part that has to replaced...If any of you have experience with Denon NJ service related to providing
receipt for them and/or getting your 4310 repaired I'd love to hear from you, especially if you've had your NIC card replaced and/or HD radio repaired. Thanks in advance. David.

I had both my NIC and HD Tuner Module replaced at the same time, had the motorboat problem also. Was not having any serious NIC problems at the time, but I took it to a local authorized Denon repair center here in Phoenix. They were very aware of the NIC problems on the 4310, but I was the first with the HD Tuner problem.

Don't know if they tested the NIC and found some problems that I had not noticed, or they just replaced it under warranty since it was such a common problem. NIC has worked fine since then, but I had the motorboat problem happen again, even after they replaced the HD Tuner. Just got it back out of the shop a month or so ago for my 2nd HD Tuner. So far, everything is working fine.

If you have a local denon authorized shop, you might get them to do both since the NIC is such a common problem, or even if you ship it to NJ, ask anyway them to replace it anyway, you might get lucky.

Thanks very much for your reply zcondo. I am awaiting authorization from Denon Customer Support to ship my 4310 to NJ for service as I post this.
I have had email communication with them for 2-3 weeks, they requested a copy of my reciept and because I am so technologically challenged I've had
some problems sending it to them over email..had my local Best Buy send them a copy via email yesterday and I plan on faxing it Tuesday. I've mentioned
both issues (radio AND NIC card) not sure yet whether they will replace the card or not, but your post gives me hope they might. I am sorry to read that you
had to have the tuner module replaced a 2nd time, I remember someone else posting here a while back whose unit was motorboating after they had it in repair/service...hope you don't have any more trouble.
AFAIK I have no Denon repair center near where I live for "drop off" service...I am right at the end of the 2 year factory warranty but Denon indicated they
would be lax about the deadline...I have procrastinated dealing with this, partly because of waiting for symptoms of NIC failure to start so I could have both
issues taken care of at the same time. I do have 2 years left on a BB extended warranty, my local store told me the unit would be sent to Cleveland OH if I
drop off at the store. I live in Kentucky, does anyone know of a Denon repair shop nearby? I have a sick feeling I'm going to have to ship to NJ and if there's more problems after that then go the BB route. I'm a noob about shipping (never pursued service this way,always drop off at a B&M store) I do have
my original box. If anyone has any experience/advice about shipping unit to Denon NJ Mahwah I'd love to hear from you...thanks again.
P.S sorry this post looks so bad, doing this on mobile,tried to use the editor to fix after preview, no luck...miss the old app..oh well, my apologies...
post #5045 of 5296
If you know someone with a scanner, have them scan your receipt into a pdf for you. The part number for the HD Tuner is 183010010206S, the part number was the same both times I had it fixed. I did notice at pacparts.com that they had another HD Tuner listed with part number 183010010107S for the 4310. Do not know what the difference is, if anyone does know the difference, it would be nice to hear from you.

I had to provide my receipt for repairs also, Denon just wants to make sure you bought from an authorized dealer to honor the warranty. Hopefully you will have a faster turnaround time shipping it to Panurygy, NJ for repairs. The first time I dropped mine off at my local shop, it took almost 2 months to get it fixed, the second time it was a month. The shop commented about how long it took to get the parts from Denon. Not a lot of fun tearing everything down and hooking up my old receiver two times.

The original box should be good for shipping, but I would suggest maybe double boxing, get another box bigger than your original one and maybe add some bubble wrap or foam around the original box and put that in the bigger box.

Good Luck!
post #5046 of 5296
Thanks very much!
post #5047 of 5296
I have a 4310ci and really enjoy the unit, but have not figured out how to change the default input for the main zone. It is now the TV but I want to change to another unit.
Does anyone know if it is possible? Know how to perform that change?

Any input is appreciated
Thanks in advance
post #5048 of 5296
Turn HDMI-CEC on the TV or HDMI Control on the AVR to OFF. This should result in the last source used prior to going into Standby as being the first source the AVR starts using.
post #5049 of 5296
and just to be clear, the reason this works is because it's NOT a setting on the receiver, it's actually the TV itself that is causing the receiver to switch to "TV" input every time. There is no setting on the receiver for default input upon power-up...
post #5050 of 5296
I am at the end of my rope trying to my old AVR-4310 to "play nice"' with a Sony
KDL-32XBR9 that I originally bought for my mom and now trying to use for a bedroom
system for myself. I am in HDMI hell...flashing screen, occasional white snow, black and
green screens,etc....all the symptoms of handshake issues. Insight Motorola cable box and
DBP-A100 using Denon Link along with the usual HDMI connections.
I HAVE TRIED ALMOST EVERYTHING! Cables, resets, turning I/P scaler off (helps some)
deep color off (ditto) HDMI control that I have to use w/DL off (ditto) but the flashing continues!
I can minimize it's frequency, but never eliminate it. Same 4310 and sources work FINE with
2 other TVs in the house! Out of desperation I lifted the Sony to my living room 4311 system and
it works much better than the 4310 (no flashing) but still is a bit glitchy here and there (black & green
screens intermittently, HDMI control on and off causes audio to switch automatically to TV's internal
speakers, trying to recover out of it is a real PITA.
I posted about this over in a XBR9 thread, sorry to cross post but I'm desperate for feedback/help.
I have tested multiple configurations of TVs and AVRs in the past, never experienced anything like this.
Any 4310 owners ever tried using a Sony KDL-32XBR9 as their monitor out there?
Thanks in advance. David.
(BTW I am about to send my 4310 to Panurgy for HD radio repair, should I mention this flashing issue?
not sure, since 4310 works FINE with 2 other TVs, KDL-40XBR4 & a Samsung 26"...)
post #5051 of 5296
^^^
Are you sure the problem isn't in the TV?
post #5052 of 5296
@davidbarrickman -

Is the firmware of the 4310CI up to date as there were issues with several Sony model TVs with the XX10 series?
post #5053 of 5296
Embarrassed to admit but no JD it is not. Thanks for the heads up about issues between
certain Sony TVs & the 4x10 AVRs...I was able to access a webpage that Sony maintains
about KDL-XBR9 and there is a LOT of information there about firmware/software updates,
troubleshooting specific known issues, etc. AFAIK Denon doesn't maintain this sort of information
online, am I correct? It seems to me that Denon firmware updates are shrouded in mystery as I see
many AVS members posting questions about what they're for when released...and I've read of
bricked units too. Sony will even mail you a USB stick containing the update for idiots like me that are
in the dark ages. Perhaps Panurgy could update the firmware for me while it is being repaired for HD
radio issue? Will they laugh at me if I ask them?
post #5054 of 5296
Yes, they will update and no, they won't laugh at you.
post #5055 of 5296
Hey guys i just upgraded to this Denon avr-4310CI from my tried and true Yamaha rx-v2600! and I LOVE IT!!!! OMG!!! the sound is out of this world! And I was worried about the HD radio issue and the network card problems. Well i am happy to report that i do not hear any motorboat sounds when i listen to an HD Radio channel here in Dallas, Texas. And i do not have any problems with the NIC inside the AVR-4310ci. In fact i am listening to smooth jazz internet radio through the receiver. now i did found this awesome receiver in the same pawn shop here in Dallas where ironically I bought the RX-V2600 from. I can even go to the receiver's website and control the volume and other things from my computer and i have an android app to control it as well. Im still a big Yamaha fan, but Denon has drawn me to the Dark Side of the Audio World. And not looking back!: biggrin.gif:D:D Now the receiver is asking me to do updates that are ready for the receiver, but I'm not going to do it!
post #5056 of 5296
Yes, I went from an Onkyo to th3 dark side and discovered they did indeed have cookies. cool.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #5057 of 5296
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbarrickman View Post

Embarrassed to admit but no JD it is not. Thanks for the heads up about issues between
certain Sony TVs & the 4x10 AVRs...I was able to access a webpage that Sony maintains
about KDL-XBR9 and there is a LOT of information there about firmware/software updates,
troubleshooting specific known issues, etc. AFAIK Denon doesn't maintain this sort of information
online, am I correct? It seems to me that Denon firmware updates are shrouded in mystery as I see
many AVS members posting questions about what they're for when released...and I've read of
bricked units too. Sony will even mail you a USB stick containing the update for idiots like me that are
in the dark ages. Perhaps Panurgy could update the firmware for me while it is being repaired for HD
radio issue? Will they laugh at me if I ask them?

Definitely update the TV. As far as PanurgyOEM goes, tell them that you have been hesitant to update the 4310 due to the potentional NIC card issue, and simply ask them to update it so that if there is an issue they can replace the NIC.
post #5058 of 5296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Contact Denon, they will likely repair at no charge.

No such luck...they told me to ship it to them and then they will get back to me with a repair estimate.

Really don't want to deal with the hassel.

Where is the best place to buy the network card direct?

Is there any particular version or iteration I should be looking for?
post #5059 of 5296
I already noted the part # for the card in my earlier post which you can purchase from one of several of the authorized Denon parts distributors ....

http://usa.denon.com/US/Support/Pages/PartsDistributors.aspx
post #5060 of 5296
Pretty late to the party, but I'm in the market for a replacement receiver for my Onkyo 805 that recently developed HDMI problems. The refurb 4310 from AC4L fits in my budget and I'm trying to decide if there is anything else out there that will do better for the money. The Sherwood 972 is tempting, but I've had bad experiences with that brand in the past. Honestly, other than the last 5 years with the 805, I've had exclusively Denon for everything else HT related. (2802, 4802, 3300, and still have a 3802). Overall, been happy with all my previous Denons, so I'd feel that warm fuzzy going back to Denon.

I have a strict 7.1 setup and that's not likely to change, so I don't care about the newer options for 9.2/11.2.

I know reliability has suffered with Denon, but that largely seems to be from offshore production. I'd like to think the 4310 is special because it is one of the few that was still made in Japan. False sense of quality... yes, no?

Also, other than the network card issues, have there been any common issues with this receiver that affect day to day operation? I don't care about the HD radio because I won't use it in my basement theater setup.

I have pretty much given up trying to find a receiver that matches the old Onkyos brute power reserves. The 4310 seemed to test pretty well with all channels driven though. I guess I could always add a front channel amp to lighten the load.

Thoughts?
post #5061 of 5296
The 4310 issues were global with the xx10 networked models, that being a defective network card design. So there is always the possibility of network card failure. Other than that it should be as reliable as any other model. But the network card issue is real.

If you can afford the 4311, it's a real distinct step forward because of the XT32 equalization, regardless of whether you don't use the extra 2 channels of amplification (which BTW you could also use to bi-amp the fronts or run Zone 2 speakers). And the 4311 has been extremely reliable.

If that's out of your price range, you might want to consider a 33xx level model (3312 or 3313) which will give superior network features, and then supplement with an amp if you feel you need more power.
post #5062 of 5296
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

The 4310 issues were global with the xx10 networked models, that being a defective network card design. So there is always the possibility of network card failure. Other than that it should be as reliable as any other model. But the network card issue is real.
If you can afford the 4311, it's a real distinct step forward because of the XT32 equalization, regardless of whether you don't use the extra 2 channels of amplification (which BTW you could also use to bi-amp the fronts or run Zone 2 speakers). And the 4311 has been extremely reliable.
If that's out of your price range, you might want to consider a 33xx level model (3312 or 3313) which will give superior network features, and then supplement with an amp if you feel you need more power.

Don't care much about the newer network features. I have a WDTV Live Hub that serves me well for most types of streaming. Not an Iphone user, so Airplay, etc. not of consequence.

Honestly, if my 805 hadn't developed these HDMI issues, I'd be perfectly happy with it. Audyssey XT seemed to do very well for me. I'm sure XT32 is a step up, but its almost double the price for the 4311 right now. Cant' see spending that much right now. If I was, I'd probably be considering the Onkyo NR3009 which would actually be a closer replacement for my Ultra2 certified 805.

Think there is any meat in the Made in Japan preference?

Also, are there any signs of the newest replacement Network cards being any more reliable? I would hope that the refurbs would come with the newest version of the card, but that could be a false assumption. Kinda crazy to think that I've had PCs running for 7-10 years with the same network card working just fine...
post #5063 of 5296
Refurb units most likely won't have the NIC replaced unless it has previously failed.
post #5064 of 5296
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post

Don't care much about the newer network features. I have a WDTV Live Hub that serves me well for most types of streaming. Not an Iphone user, so Airplay, etc. not of consequence.
Honestly, if my 805 hadn't developed these HDMI issues, I'd be perfectly happy with it. Audyssey XT seemed to do very well for me. I'm sure XT32 is a step up, but its almost double the price for the 4311 right now. Cant' see spending that much right now. If I was, I'd probably be considering the Onkyo NR3009 which would actually be a closer replacement for my Ultra2 certified 805.
Think there is any meat in the Made in Japan preference?
Also, are there any signs of the newest replacement Network cards being any more reliable? I would hope that the refurbs would come with the newest version of the card, but that could be a false assumption. Kinda crazy to think that I've had PCs running for 7-10 years with the same network card working just fine...
I have the 4310 w/replacement NIC and I just love this. To get a refurb, most likely returned due to NIC failure OR it could actually be new stock being sold as refurb just to dump the excess inventory (don't laugh, happens literally every day with products) and if the latter, you have a year for the card to fail, (mine failed in about 7-8 mos) and the replacement has been rock solid with zero other issues.

I suggest, that if you do not need/desire 3D, and you want to spend $1200 (about the cost of the 4311) I would probably steer towards the 4810. But @ 650, the 4310, in my opinion is the best deal/value for your dollars, you or anyone can get today. But that's just me. wink.gif
post #5065 of 5296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

I have the 4310 w/replacement NIC and I just love this. To get a refurb, most likely returned due to NIC failure OR it could actually be new stock being sold as refurb just to dump the excess inventory (don't laugh, happens literally every day with products) and if the latter, you have a year for the card to fail, (mine failed in about 7-8 mos) and the replacement has been rock solid with zero other issues.
I suggest, that if you do not need/desire 3D, and you want to spend $1200 (about the cost of the 4311) I would probably steer towards the 4810. But @ 650, the 4310, in my opinion is the best deal/value for your dollars, you or anyone can get today. But that's just me. wink.gif

I have had the same experience with my 4310 as well after replacing the NIC card. It is great sounding AVR. JT
post #5066 of 5296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

I have the 4310 w/replacement NIC and I just love this. To get a refurb, most likely returned due to NIC failure OR it could actually be new stock being sold as refurb just to dump the excess inventory (don't laugh, happens literally every day with products) and if the latter, you have a year for the card to fail, (mine failed in about 7-8 mos) and the replacement has been rock solid with zero other issues.
I suggest, that if you do not need/desire 3D, and you want to spend $1200 (about the cost of the 4311) I would probably steer towards the 4810. But @ 650, the 4310, in my opinion is the best deal/value for your dollars, you or anyone can get today. But that's just me. wink.gif

Thanks for confirming my gut feeling. I'll probably spend $70 extra dollars for a 5 year warranty. I know it won't cover a major board replacement but it will at least pay me back for the cost of the unit if that were to happen. If it fails a day beyond 5 years, I'll still think I got my moneys worth.
post #5067 of 5296
Could someone verify the part number for NIC? I've seen two different numbers in this thread - mine is a US model 4310CI if it makes a difference
8R1891001100D
or
8R1891001101D

Thank you
post #5068 of 5296
As noted in the post you found the 1101 number, it's the E2 (Europe) part number while the 1100 is the USA model part #.
post #5069 of 5296
Quote:
Originally Posted by smielek00 View Post

Could someone verify the part number for NIC? I've seen two different numbers in this thread - mine is a US model 4310CI if it makes a difference
8R1891001100D
or
8R1891001101D
Thank you

This is the part number I used in the US model, 8R1891001100D. JT
post #5070 of 5296
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post

Don't care much about the newer network features. I have a WDTV Live Hub that serves me well for most types of streaming. Not an Iphone user, so Airplay, etc. not of consequence.
Honestly, if my 805 hadn't developed these HDMI issues, I'd be perfectly happy with it. Audyssey XT seemed to do very well for me. I'm sure XT32 is a step up, but its almost double the price for the 4311 right now. Cant' see spending that much right now. If I was, I'd probably be considering the Onkyo NR3009 which would actually be a closer replacement for my Ultra2 certified 805.
Think there is any meat in the Made in Japan preference?
Also, are there any signs of the newest replacement Network cards being any more reliable? I would hope that the refurbs would come with the newest version of the card, but that could be a false assumption. Kinda crazy to think that I've had PCs running for 7-10 years with the same network card working just fine...

I am probably one of the more unlucky 4310 owners, having to replacle the HD tuner twice and the network card once. Tearing my system down twice and going without the 4310 for quite ahwile waiting for the repairs to be done. But, everything was fixed under warranty, she is performing flawlessly now, and I love the sound of this unit.

Even my friends that are not into this stuff comment about how great it sounds.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Denon AVR-4310CI Thread