or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Robocop to be remade!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Robocop to be remade!

post #1 of 303
Thread Starter 

Now don't you just want vandalize the Hollywood symbol, rip down, down from the hill!

What is wrong with Robocop 1987 besides its got wicked enough horror humour visual effects and six-track Dolby stereo SR soundtrack that is far from needing a remake for the sakes of CGI!

Robocop 2010
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234721/

Robocop history
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoboCop
post #2 of 303
Sounds good to me....loved Robocop. They could do a good job with a remake, but it could also be bad......I am up for them attempting it though
post #3 of 303
Thread Starter 
I wonder what Paul Verhoeven thinks about this? was it a tough shoot to film with challenges? Would he like to remake it himself again?

Well if it goes ahead it goes ahead. Looks like they where going to do this around 2005 but pulled the plug?

Well we know the story.

I don’t know maybe I’m just getting senile it was great viewing 22 years ago and it only seems like yesterday I mean yesterday, like yesterday just gone.
post #4 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by toe View Post

sounds good to me....loved robocop. They could do a good job with a remake, but it could also be bad......i am up for them attempting it though

completely agree!
post #5 of 303
I don't see the sense of remaking this. The original is a classic, in which everything went right. The special effects in the original are great. I don't see how they can improve this movie by remaking it. It would be like remaking Jurassic Park. They are not going to improve on it.

Some people have more money than brains.
post #6 of 303
^Some people WANT money more than brains.
post #7 of 303
It's like the "well of original ideas" has dried up. Everything is a remake of another movie or even tv shows. This latest attempt at ol' Robo is to show off more CGI. *Sigh*
post #8 of 303
Stupid idea. Why Hollywood feels the need to remake a classic like this, I don't know. There was nothing wrong with the movie in the first place, no holes that should be sewn up or missed opportunities. What in hell is the rationale behind this besides money?
post #9 of 303
If ever there was no reason to remake a movie, this is it.
post #10 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

It's like the "well of original ideas" has dried up. Everything is a remake of another movie or even tv shows. This latest attempt at ol' Robo is to show off more CGI. *Sigh*

That's my question, doesn't anybody in Hollyweird have any original ideas anymore? To me, CGI looks far more fake and hokey than the old methods. I would even prefer the way they did the old "Thunderbirds" series with the puppets to today's CGI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

If ever there was no reason to remake a movie, this is it.

No, that would have been "The Day The Earth Stood Still".
post #11 of 303
Hollywood is running out of ideas apparently.
post #12 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

It's like the "well of original ideas" has dried up. Everything is a remake of another movie or even tv shows. This latest attempt at ol' Robo is to show off more CGI. *Sigh*

Yep. The children of the 70's and 80's are now our movie makers and producers and instead of original thoughts, we get a remake Robocop, more Indiana Jones, more Rocky and Rambo, rebooted original Star Trek, Die Hard, missed anything?
post #13 of 303
This remake has been in the works for years now.
post #14 of 303
My question is simply, why?
post #15 of 303
I just hope its as good as the first!

The last one with the jet pack was not the best.
post #16 of 303
I simply can't believe it. I remember being completely stunned by the incredibly graphic violence in Verhoeven's original. in a good way, that is. Everything from Murphy being blown to hamburger to Emil's head rolling over the roof of the 6000-SUX after the toxic waste bath.. just.. wow!

the remake will probably be rated PG-13.

edit: looks like Aranofsky is supposed to direct.
post #17 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

If ever there was no reason to remake a movie, this is it.

May I mention Psycho? This shot-by-shot "remake" is absolutely, desperately, pointlessly, awful. I often try to find some signification, some sort of point to a movie when it's made, but regarding Psycho, nope, nothing, I still don't get it. Robocop didn't need to be remade, but let's see what they do with the material before judging it...
post #18 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter Cane View Post

the remake will probably be rated PG-13.

Oh no! please no!!!!
post #19 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

[center]What is wrong with Robocop 1987 besides its got wicked enough horror humour visual effects and six-track Dolby stereo SR soundtrack that is far from needing a remake for the sakes of CGI!

To this day, I still think Peter Weller's makeup is one of the best I've ever seen. His half-human/half-robot head is simply haunting!
post #20 of 303
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Oh no! please no!!!!

Yeah that won’t justify in the eyes of Matt Stevens LOL PG-13 would be taking the piss. R rating unless studios want to be greedy for money by making it PG-13.

How many films that are R rated that have made a ton of money given the budget they where filmed under?

If they make it whippy girly like the TV show that won’t sale with me! It would have to be 15 or the very least 18 like the original UK rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

To this day, I still think Peter Weller's makeup is one of the best I've ever seen. His half-human/half-robot head is simply haunting!

Yeah it kinder morbid creepy looking as if he’s “the creature” created by the hands of Frankenstein, only Murphy has heart.

"Good shooting son what’s your name?"

Turns around and looks at the old man and replies with smile “Murphy”.
post #21 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

May I mention Psycho?

Yeah, all those mentioned definitely should not have been remade, either - but no more or no less so.

(As you can probably gather, I have an extremely high opinion of the original. I think it's one of the best satires made in more recent times.)
post #22 of 303
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

This remake has been in the works for years now.

Yeah I was surprised when I read though Wick! The TV show was canalled what around late 1990’s early 2000?

Why don’t they just make the TV show again for the kiddies!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Yeah, all those mentioned definitely should not have been remade, either - but no more or no less so.

(As you can probably gather, I have an extremely high opinion of the original. I think it's one of the best satires made in more recent times.)

I have the Psycho collection of “the man in the shower”

Also the remake which wasn’t too bad it surprised me. The bold colours the style it was filmed in but its like stepping on hallowed ground with that film.

It's also like J.J. screwing with my head with blowing Vulcan to kingdom come! So what do the filmmakers have in mind for Robocop? Turn him into drag cross dressing queen half way though the film?

What ever happened to screening the films back in the cinema for limited engagement? That will still rake in a few £$million.
post #23 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post


It's also like J.J. screwing with my head with blowing Vulcan to kingdom come! So what do the filmmakers have in mind for Robocop? Turn him into drag cross dressing queen half way though the film?

As much as I enjoyed the new Star Trek movie, I agree with you on this. Destroying Vulcan and messing with the whole timeline. So basically everything Kirk & Spock accomplished in the original series ceases to exist now. I dunno.

As for Robo, I believe the last movie was PG13, and didn't it have some kind of Ninja? WTF???
post #24 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

May I mention Psycho? This shot-by-shot "remake" is absolutely, desperately, pointlessly, awful. I often try to find some signification, some sort of point to a movie when it's made, but regarding Psycho, nope, nothing, I still don't get it.

If nothing else, the Psycho remake is an interesting intellectual exercise. What happens when you take a highly-regarded classic movie and film it again with the same script and shot-for-shot identical direction? If you copy the original exactly, shouldn't the copy be as good (or almost as good) as the original?

Obviously, the answer was no. You can't recapture the magic of a great film just by copying it.

So, by that measure, Gus van Sant made a valuable point. Of course, that doesn't make watching his version any more pleasant an experience.
post #25 of 303
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

As much as I enjoyed the new Star Trek movie, I agree with you on this. Destroying Vulcan and messing with the whole timeline. So basically everything Kirk & Spock accomplished in the original series ceases to exist now. I dunno.

As for Robo, I believe the last movie was PG13, and didn't it have some kind of Ninja? WTF???

Bugger me your right. I just checked the box-set Robocop and Robocop II are rated 18 which your R rating. Robocop III is rated 15 which would be close to your PG-13 rating.

But the yuppie jumping out the window in Robocop III was damn funny!
post #26 of 303
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

If nothing else, the Psycho remake is an interesting intellectual exercise. What happens when you take a highly-regarded classic movie and film it again with the same script and shot-for-shot identical direction? If you copy the original exactly, shouldn't the copy be as good (or almost as good) as the original?

Obviously, the answer was no. You can't recapture the magic of a great film just by copying it.

So, by that measure, Gus van Sant made a valuable point. Of course, that doesn't make watching his version any more pleasant an experience.

Yeah in way yes I agree with what Gus van Sant did. It's when filmmakers like J.J. comes around and his film is only for one thing! Sound! That’s it the rest is huge fLJk up!

What are going to do with Murphy/Robocop turn him into pansy! The guy wants bloody blood not half paint, the whole 5 pints for each crook that put him in the living nightmare.
post #27 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

So basically everything Kirk & Spock accomplished in the original series ceases to exist now.

The old time line still exists. It's not like any of it was erased. Otherwise, what was old Spock describing to Kirk in the new movie? A new time line branched off when Nero attacked the Kelvin, and we got to see the result of that (we've already spent plenty of time in the old time line). Also, just because it is a different time line doesn't mean Kirk & Spock don't have equally impressive accomplishments (they saved all the remaining planets of the Federation from being destroyed).
post #28 of 303
Ok, I'll point out the obvious.....the IMDB just lists the name of the movie. There's not even a director listed, or any information, other than that it's RoboCop.

So remake? Reboot? A sequel? Just seems to be a lot of jumping to conclusions about something based off of a name alone.

I don't really care. The RoboCop franchise (other than the first one) is a joke anyways.
post #29 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

What is wrong with Robocop 1987 besides its got wicked enough horror humour visual effects and six-track Dolby stereo SR soundtrack that is far from needing a remake for the sakes of CGI!

The answer to that is the same as most Hollywood remakes--there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with the original. It's all about recognizing the brand name: if the original was successful, then people will pay money to see a new version, right?

For once, I'd like to see a Hollywood remake of an unsuccessful movie or one that had a strong premise but poor execution--in other words, fix what's broken, and leave alone what already works.

But that's asking too much of Hollywood, isn't it?


TinMan368

***

Trivia for 2009-June-8

Q) In the history of the Conn Smythe Trophy, only the 2004-05 season was missing an award winner because of the NHL lockout. Who was the winner of the Conn Smythe in the previous season?

A)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Brad Richards of the Tampa Bay Lightning
post #30 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

As for Robo, I believe the last movie was PG13, and didn't it have some kind of Ninja? WTF???

3 did have a Japanese built ninja cyborg which was supposed to destroy Robocop.

Remake? Ehhhh... NO.

IIRC the original Robocop was supposed to be rated X simply because of the scene where the ED209 is shooting up the exec in the board room went a bit too long. The restored scene of that is on the Criterion release. I think it's in the magazine article on the disc that you can read on screen.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Robocop to be remade!