Originally Posted by NWCgrad
... No other devices in the chain (Sony BDP-S480 --> [HDMI] --> Onkyo TX-SR805 --> [HDMI] --> BenQ PE7700 projector).
So, there IS another device in the chain: The BenQ PE7700 projector.
I know neither the Onkyo TX-SR805 nor the BenQ PE7700 projector.
You could try the following (only for testing):
- Switch off the BenQ PE7700 projector (not standby, to be sure, unplug the power cable) or unplug the HDMI cable between receiver and projector at your choice.
- Switch off the receiver and the player.
- Switch on in the following order!: 1st receiver, 2nd player.
- Don't switch on or connect the projector!
- Now try to play a SACD. What does the display show now?
Maybe you ask in the Onkyo TX-SR805 thread, what other users get on their display with SACDs.
... front display shows DSD/2.0 or 5.1 (disc dependent)/44.1 kHz...
This doesn't make sense as DSD is 2.8224 MHz.
Either you receive PCM with 44.1 kHz or
DSD with 2.8224 MHz.
... but I may have to dig out my RCA cables and use the analog output (I can't imagine it will be all that good in a $100 BluRay player).
Yes. The DAC in the receiver is better than the DAC in the Sony 480 player. Waste of time.