or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Xtreamer - Discussion, Reviews, Information Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Xtreamer - Discussion, Reviews, Information Thread! - Page 69

post #2041 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Really want to see the jukebox integration, especially for TV Shows. I set up my sis/bro in law with the Pro for their kids and a jukebox would definitely improve the experience.

While I am bugging you with questions, any status on the Prodigy?

Ok!

About the Prodigy: it's slated for 1st week of June. But we all know how these things go--realistically, we might not see the Prodigy until mid -> end June. Please don't quote me on this-this is not an informed status update--just a guess, based on how previous product launches have gone!
post #2042 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreamer USA View Post

I think there is still a problem with DTS-MA and M2TS container. According to post from ))(( Xtreamer ))(( (chief software guy) it is something that will be resolved in Firmware 3.0.

I have watched that same movie with DTS-MA in MKV container, and it played flawless (since 2.7 firmware). Also played Dolby True-HD from M2TS with the same results. So the problem seems to be with regards to DTS-MA in M2TS container.

If that is really the case, then you will have to wait on firmware 3.0 to fix the problem . . .

Thank you for your respond. I shut down and unplugged Xtreamer, and left it off overnight. My wife and kids watched Avatar again, and they watched The Chronicles of Narnia The Voyage of the Dawn Treader too. Both movies had DTS-HD codec’s and it playbacked flawless. It must be some minor bugs in the 2.7 firmware. I hope that the new firmware 3.0 will get rid of it completely. Otherwise, this $140 investment is worth it. The PQ/AQ is superb. I owned several other HD media players previously, and the Sidewinder out shined all of them. I preferred a player with proper audio codec, especially HD audio codec. I can live with less than perfect PQ, but Sidewinder can do both very well. I'm really enjoying the HD AQ throughout my 5.1 surround sound speakers with 2 front height speakers. I can finally hear the sound affects from all speakers very clearly and the subwoofer is rocking too.

I'm glad that Xtreamer is working on solution and add new options. I understand that it doesn't have all the internet streaming contents as other players, but I have PS3 for that. I read somewhere that it is planning to include Netflix too. I hope that they include in the 3.0.

Once again, thanks.
post #2043 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreamer USA View Post

Ok!

About the Prodigy: it's slated for 1st week of June. But we all know how these things go--realistically, we might not see the Prodigy until mid -> end June. Please don't quote me on this-this is not an informed status update--just a guess, based on how previous product launches have gone!

Will it, or any other Xtreamer product, have AirPlay?

philip
post #2044 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Will it, or any other Xtreamer product, have AirPlay?

philip

Code to implement Airplay is ready, and is waiting Apple's Approval.

So right now, can't answer this question directly . . .
post #2045 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreamer USA View Post

Code to implement Airplay is ready, and is waiting Apple's Approval.

So right now, can't answer this question directly . . .

Will the new firmware 3.0 include Netflix streaming? Since I have PS3 to do all the internet streaming, it is not that big of a deal but it's good option to have on Xtream Sidewinder.
post #2046 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by new04quest View Post

Will the new firmware 3.0 include Netflix streaming? Since I have PS3 to do all the internet streaming, it is not that big of a deal but it's good option to have on Xtream Sidewinder.

On the Xtreamer Pro for Netflix it says "Comming soon..." (I did not spell incorrect). I have yet to see that specific Realtek chip get certified by Netflix so I would be skeptical until officially announced
post #2047 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

On the Xtreamer Pro for Netflix it says "Comming soon..." (I did not spell incorrect). I have yet to see that specific Realtek chip get certified by Netflix so I would be skeptical until officially announced

Okay, at least they're thinking about it. So far, I can play every BD movie with HD audio using m2ts and ISO files flawless with the 2.7 firmware. I'm sure there are still some minor bugs in it. I hope that the 3.0 will get rid all of it and include more features (Netflix) too.

Coming from a troublesome Boxee Box (HD audio dropouts, DD 2.0 is now DD 5.1, red screen, etc), I'm glad that I got the Xtreamer Sidewinder. It's good feeling to enjoy the movie without having to put up with all the issues. Shrek Forever HD PQ/AQ is superb on the Sidewinder!
post #2048 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by new04quest View Post

Okay, at least they're thinking about it. So far, I can play every BD movie with HD audio using m2ts and ISO files flawless with the 2.7 firmware. I'm sure there are still some minor bugs in it. I hope that the 3.0 will get rid all of it and include more features (Netflix) too.

Coming from a troublesome Boxee Box (HD audio dropouts, DD 2.0 is now DD 5.1, red screen, etc), I'm glad that I got the Xtreamer Sidewinder. It's good feeling to enjoy the movie without having to put up with all the issues. Shrek Forever HD PQ/AQ is superb on the Sidewinder!

Netflix is based on whether or not Netflix will certify Realtek (an in particular the Realtek chip being uses in the Pro/SideWinder). I would take the fact that the Pro lists Netflix with a grain of salt, nothing more then a marketing gimmick.

The Sidewinder makes a great portable jukebox, can't beat the size
post #2049 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

The Sidewinder makes a great portable jukebox, can't beat the size

Yes, I noticed there is a slot for HDD and there is HDD option in the media library. I'm wondering what HDD will it take. I saw this Western Digital 2 TB as an option in Amazon. Will it fit in the Xtreamer Sidewinder HDD slot?

If the WD 2TB fit in the slot, I'll not have to use the external USB drive anymore. It'll be easier to move the player around without extra accessories.
post #2050 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by new04quest View Post

Yes, I noticed there is a slot for HDD and there is HDD option in the media library. I'm wondering what HDD will it take. I saw this Western Digital 2 TB as an option in Amazon. Will it fit in the Xtreamer Sidewinder HDD slot?

If the WD 2TB fit in the slot, I'll not have to use the external USB drive anymore. It'll be easier to move the player around without extra accessories.

The sidewinder only accepts 2.5in HDDs (2TB drives right now are 3.5in). I have a 500GB 2.5in laptop drive in mine
post #2051 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

The sidewinder only accepts 2.5in HDDs (2TB drives right now are 3.5in). I have a 500GB 2.5in laptop drive in mine

Plus... the physical thickness of the 2.5" HDD must not exceed 9.5 mm or it wont fit.
post #2052 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Plus... the physical thickness of the 2.5" HDD must not exceed 9.5 mm or it wont fit.

I barely installed the Xtreamer Sidewinder, and I haven't explored the hardware. Since AQ is my first priority, I'm too eager to watch BD to verify HD audio over the weekend. I'm satisfied with AQ/PS so far, and it is time to explore the hardware and other options.

I was hoping that it is the 3.5" HDD, because it is cheaper than the 2.5" HDD.

I found these two HDDs-


Seagate Momentus 7200 750 GB
Western Digital 1 TB
post #2053 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by new04quest View Post
I barely installed the Xtreamer Sidewinder, and I haven't explored the hardware. Since AQ is my first priority, I'm too eager to watch BD to verify HD audio over the weekend. I'm satisfied with AQ/PS so far, and it is time to explore the hardware and other options.

I was hoping that it is the 3.5" HDD, because it is cheaper than the 2.5" HDD.

I found these two HDDs-


Seagate Momentus 7200 750 GB
Western Digital 1 TB
I would rather go with a 5400RPM drive versus a 7200RPM drive due to the tight space (heat).
post #2054 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
I would rather go with a 5400RPM drive versus a 7200RPM drive due to the tight space (heat).
Very much agreed...

Currently, the maximum capacity 2.5" HDD not exceeding 9.5mm thick is 750GB. Such as the WD7500BPVT. Any capacity larger than that and they're 12.5mm thick and wont fit inside the Xtreamer SideWinder.


Cheers
post #2055 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Very much agreed...

Currently, the maximum capacity 2.5" HDD not exceeding 9.5mm thick is 750GB. Such as the WD7500BPVT. Any capacity larger than that and they're 12.5mm thick and wont fit inside the Xtreamer SideWinder.


Cheers
Thanks. I'm at my work office now, and I don't have information on the Sidewinder sata HDD slot. I'm assuming that it is a plug/play type of sata HDD slot. I noticed the cap on the top of the player. Is that the location of the sata HDD slot?

I might have to settle for the WD7500BPVT. I was hoping to fit something with larger storage.
post #2056 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by new04quest View Post
Thanks. I'm at my work office now, and I don't have information on the Sidewinder sata HDD slot. I'm assuming that it is a plug/play type of sata HDD slot. I noticed the cap on the top of the player. Is that the location of the sata HDD slot?

I might have to settle for the WD7500BPVT. I was hoping to fit something with larger storage.
If storage was a priority you should have opted for the Xtreamer Pro (can handle 2 3.5in hard drives). I set up my sis/bro in law with one using a 2TB and 1TB drive (so 3TB total worth of space). Although the Pro is obviously bigger then the Sidewinder it is by no means big.
post #2057 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
If storage was a priority you should have opted for the Xtreamer Pro (can handle 2 3.5in hard drives). I set up my sis/bro in law with one using a 2TB and 1TB drive (so 3TB total worth of space). Although the Pro is obviously bigger then the Sidewinder it is by no means big.
Agreed...

I run an XtreamerPro with the same HDD configuration. I leave mine on 24/7 as it makes a pretty good files server too
post #2058 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
If storage was a priority you should have opted for the Xtreamer Pro (can handle 2 3.5in hard drives). I set up my sis/bro in law with one using a 2TB and 1TB drive (so 3TB total worth of space). Although the Pro is obviously bigger then the Sidewinder it is by no means big.
The Xtreamer pro is probably a very good player to have, but I'm trying to keep the price down. I preferred the fanless player (less noise) and I'm lack of room in my entertainment center too. I think that 750GB for internal drive is fine for now. It'll allow me to move the Sidewinder around the house and take it along to vacation easier. I’m planning to buy the new Honda Odyssey. The player with internal hard drive is a plus. It’ll be able to play on the new Odyssey via HDMI. I do have 2 other 1TB USB powered external drives.
post #2059 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Very much agreed...

Currently, the maximum capacity 2.5" HDD not exceeding 9.5mm thick is 750GB. Such as the WD7500BPVT. Any capacity larger than that and they're 12.5mm thick and wont fit inside the Xtreamer SideWinder.


Cheers

I hope that the Western Digital 750 GB Scorpio Blue will fit and work in the Xtreamer Sidewinder sata HDD slot. I found this HDD Installation instruction on Xtreamer website, and it supports up to 500GB 2.5" hard drives only. Have you try the 750GB hard drive in your Xtreamer Sidewinder?
post #2060 of 2071
I found this on Amazon, and the Xtreamer Sidewinder included 1TB HDD. I'm not sure if the advertise is true.

Xtreamer SideWinder 2010 Media Player & Streamer 1000GB
post #2061 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by new04quest View Post

I hope that the Western Digital 750 GB Scorpio Blue will fit and work in the Xtreamer Sidewinder sata HDD slot. I found this HDD Installation instruction on Xtreamer website, and it supports up to 500GB 2.5" hard drives only. Have you try the 750GB hard drive in your Xtreamer Sidewinder?

There a plenty of people over on the Xtreamer forum running 750GB 2.5" HDD's without issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new04quest View Post

I found this on Amazon, and the Xtreamer Sidewinder included 1TB HDD. I'm not sure if the advertise is true.

Xtreamer SideWinder 2010 Media Player & Streamer 1000GB

It's not true... as a 1TB HDD won't fit!
post #2062 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

There a plenty of people over on the Xtreamer forum running 750GB 2.5" HDD's without issues.

It's not true... as a 1TB HDD won't fit!

If the slot is limit to 9.5mm, I would not think that the bigger 1TB HDD will fit either. I asked the seller at Amazon, and their replied was (of course, the Sidewinder included pre-installed 1TB). I thought that it was weird.

I'll order the 750GB WD this week. Thank you for the info.
post #2063 of 2071
I'm not a big fan of Harry Potter, but my wife and kids love it. I tried the latest "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Pt I" with ISO file on the Sidewinder earlier. The HD PQ&AQ are superb. There were 2 audio dropouts for the entire movie. I hope that the new firmware 3.0 can fix all audio dropout issues.
post #2064 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_xtreamer View Post

I'm not a big fan of Harry Potter, but my wife and kids love it. I tried the latest "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Pt I" with ISO file on the Sidewinder earlier. The HD PQ&AQ are superb. There were 2 audio dropouts for the entire movie. I hope that the new firmware 3.0 can fix all audio dropout issues.

Yeah, I noticed dropped HD Audio on Harry Potter as well (the previous Harry Potter). Also, same dropouts with Back to the future. This happened with the XT Pro which should produce the same results as the Sidewinder
post #2065 of 2071
Is there any release date on the firmware 3.0?
post #2066 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_xtreamer View Post

Is there any release date on the firmware 3.0?

What's new in firmware 3.0? I hope it includes TV Series support. I have been waiting for that for a long time.
post #2067 of 2071
Nevermind, I see that it does.
post #2068 of 2071
hi guys
gives great pleasure to be a part of this forum for tech advise...
i have an issue with Xtreamer [XT]

i tried to attach the ext usb DVD drive using usb - it detected the the drive and installed the dvd-plug-in then i placed the DVD [region 1,NTSC] in the drive and tried to play via the XT - but it 'd NOT play ...

What do i do to make the ext usb dvd drive play my dvd thru XT ? instead of converting the dvd to mkv...(takes at least 10-20 min]

altready ordered a HTPC Asrock ION 3d [blu-ray version] so that thru one samll unit [PC] i can play both HD media as well as Blu-ray...

plz help...if there is any possibility of playing the DVD thru ext usb drive connected to XT - you guys are my last hope else this XT goes into my junk storage....



post #2069 of 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancjob View Post

i tried to attach the ext usb DVD drive using usb - it detected the the drive and installed the dvd-plug-in then i placed the DVD [region 1,NTSC] in the drive and tried to play via the XT - but it 'd NOT play ...

The DVD needs to be region free and with no encryption to play.
post #2070 of 2071
Guys,
I'm looking at Xtreamer DVD. I need your advice. I'm not a newbee for media players, i've been in this business for some time. Currently i have a WDTV LIve Streamer (gen3) which kind of sux. Does what it should but it's slow and feature poor.
What I would like to achieve is that i can finally entirely disconnect my DVD player and the WDTV Live and have only one device for the following purposes:
- Play original DVDs
- Play Xvid DVD rips and 1080p H.264 MKV content mostly from my Synology NAS through a wired LAN connection
- Play HIGHRES Youtube videos and possibly some other content from the net
- And be able to use Airplay, so that my iTunes music and videos from my iphone can be played wirelessly on my stereo / TV set. (Youtube, iTunes)

Please let me know your thoughts whether this can be safely achieved by Xtreamer DVD without too much hassle and whether this product is stable enough to serve me for this purposes on the daily basis. The price tag is very attractive, same price as for an Apple TV that would do only the Airplay connectivity not the rest.

Thanks for your thoughts. If someone already has this thing, please share your thoughts on stability and useablity.
Edited by dembala - 12/6/12 at 6:58am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Xtreamer - Discussion, Reviews, Information Thread!