or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Alien Prequel - Prometheus
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alien Prequel - Prometheus - Page 71

post #2101 of 2359
The strawmen are taking quite a beating.

bcruiser it does seem that you quite enjoy nitpicking, which explains your high opinion of Prometheus biggrin.gif

Alternative points of view do seem to be falling on deaf ears, on both sides.
post #2102 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

The strawmen are taking quite a beating.
bcruiser it does seem that you quite enjoy nitpicking, which explains your high opinion of Prometheus biggrin.gif
Alternative points of view do seem to be falling on deaf ears, on both sides.
High opinion, both sides... all opinion only, no? If you are into advancing the discussion further, some supporting evidence would be nice. wink.gif

There are very small number of what I call "haters" of this movie post/ed here. Then there are those who I call "naysayers" which are still in the minority all across the web (look at movie review sites). The % numbers suggest that the positive view of this movie outnumbers the negative and that's not my opinion.

You seem like a reasonable person so maybe I can finally get an answer to my previous question which I'll repeat, what criteria is there that can be an indication of a movie being a success or a failure? Box office numbers, professional critics rating or something...? Is there some objective data that can gauge it?
post #2103 of 2359
When discussing personal enjoyment of a movie, one can only point to their own opinion right? We've discussed our takes on various plot points, technical merits, things left on the cutting floor, etc which is really all the "evidence" we can point to in terms of forming our opinions. So I think that aspect is already well covered. It's just that we each interpret that evidence differently.

In terms of the movie being a "success", well like anything else the definition of success is completely dependent on your judgment criteria. The studio is looking for an adequate return on investment. I think that was touched on earlier in the thread, I believe the movie is in the black but perhaps not as successful as some had hoped? If critic reviews are the metric, we can look to RT where it gets a 73%. Depending on your point of view that's either a C- or enough above 50% that it's a success. Perhaps being green-lit for a sequel? Has that happened?

So there are plenty of objective ways to judge success, whether or not those measures are part of your own assessment is up to you.
post #2104 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

Perhaps being green-lit for a sequel? Has that happened?

Yes. The sequel is already in the works.
post #2105 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Yes. The sequel is already in the works.
Production hasn't started....I haven't finished the screenplay yet.tongue.gif
post #2106 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Production hasn't started....I haven't finished the screenplay yet.tongue.gif

Just make sure Noomi is safe and please reassemble Michael Fassbender! wink.gif
post #2107 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Production hasn't started....I haven't finished the screenplay yet.tongue.gif

Keep it classy. When Noomi hits engineer air space, she goes all Independence Day - Randy Quaid.

Ha ha ha! Hello, boys! I'm baaaaack! Payback's a bitch, ain't it? cool.gif
post #2108 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

When discussing personal enjoyment of a movie, one can only point to their own opinion right? We've discussed our takes on various plot points, technical merits, things left on the cutting floor, etc which is really all the "evidence" we can point to in terms of forming our opinions. So I think that aspect is already well covered. It's just that we each interpret that evidence differently.
Right. When I see some posters expressing opinions that belong to far fringe group and I call it so, it doesn't sit well with some of them despite the scale number being presented to back it up. One poster even complained that I categorized it. Some people use only emotion when conversing with others and loose their grip with logic (emotion needs no logic to be triggered, it already exists as part of our instincts). It's impossible to carry on a productive discussion with people like that. Thankfully, there aren't many of those posting here, yet.
Quote:
In terms of the movie being a "success", well like anything else the definition of success is completely dependent on your judgment criteria. The studio is looking for an adequate return on investment. I think that was touched on earlier in the thread, I believe the movie is in the black but perhaps not as successful as some had hoped? If critic reviews are the metric, we can look to RT where it gets a 73%. Depending on your point of view that's either a C- or enough above 50% that it's a success. Perhaps being green-lit for a sequel? Has that happened?
Could this move have been better? Sure, since there is no such thing as a perfect movie, they all can strive to get closer to it. Also, it could have been worse but what got released did well enough to decide on a sequel.
Quote:
So there are plenty of objective ways to judge success, whether or not those measures are part of your own assessment is up to you.
What I think you are saying is, see where your own assessment of a movie stands in comparison to others. If so, that's one of the ways to gauge oneself in this society.
post #2109 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

High opinion, both sides... all opinion only, no? If you are into advancing the discussion further, some supporting evidence would be nice. wink.gif
There are very small number of what I call "haters" of this movie post/ed here. Then there are those who I call "naysayers" which are still in the minority all across the web (look at movie review sites). The % numbers suggest that the positive view of this movie outnumbers the negative and that's not my opinion.
You seem like a reasonable person so maybe I can finally get an answer to my previous question which I'll repeat, what criteria is there that can be an indication of a movie being a success or a failure? Box office numbers, professional critics rating or something...? Is there some objective data that can gauge it?

How about how vehement the small group of haters can be?

Trek 2009 was a fine film of a dying franchise and look at the hate it got. Tron: Legacy was a fun summer ride on a dead IP, and look at the hate it got.

Transformers: crickets.

Hipster Nerd Rage seems to be a good barometer.
post #2110 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Hipster Nerd Rage seems to be a good barometer.



http://www.cracked.com/funny-4739-scott-pilgrim/
post #2111 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

What I think you are saying is, see where your own assessment of a movie stands in comparison to others. If so, that's one of the ways to gauge oneself in this society.
Partly. To the extent you value the judgment of others and/or the criteria they're basing those judgments on, yes. I think that manifests in the way we all have reviewers or friends who's opinions we trust on movies/games/etc more than others.

But don't take it to far, or you might end up with some erroneous conclusions. Taylor Swift sells more albums than Iron Maiden but no amount of such evidence will have me questioning my preference for the latter biggrin.gif
post #2112 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

Taylor Swift sells more albums than Iron Maiden but no amount of such evidence will have me questioning my preference for the latter biggrin.gif

Eddie is not as cute as Taylor though wink.gif
post #2113 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

Taylor Swift sells more albums than Iron Maiden but no amount of such evidence will have me questioning my preference for the latter biggrin.gif

Maybe so, but in the end who's career will have lasted longer? cool.gif

By my estimation Ms. Swift will be a has been in 5 years time. Iron Maiden still sells out arenas after 30+ years.
post #2114 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

Maybe so, but in the end who's career will have lasted longer? cool.gif
By my estimation Ms. Swift will be a has been in 5 years time. Iron Maiden still sells out arenas after 30+ years.
Excellent point! Different success metric. Maiden still puts on a great concert.
post #2115 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

Excellent point! Different success metric. Maiden still puts on a great concert.

Absolutely, just saw them in June.

Their music is timeless, while Taylor Swift is trendy throw away pop trash.
post #2116 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

Maybe so, but in the end who's career will have lasted longer? cool.gif
By my estimation Ms. Swift will be a has been in 5 years time. Iron Maiden still sells out arenas after 30+ years.

I love me some IM. But I think they are still selling out arenas because there are NO NEW rock bands!tongue.gif

Bruce Dickinson is a pretty cool and successful dude. Net worth of $115 million
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-businessmen/producers/bruce-dickinson-net-worth/


But I would not be dissing Taylor Swift. Been around since she was 16 and at only 22 years of age, she has a net worth of 80+ Million dollars.eek.gif http://www.therichest.org/celebnetworth/celeb/singer/taylor-swift-net-worth/

I see her adding to that SUBSTANTIALLY in the next few years as well and will be around as long as she wants to imo..
post #2117 of 2359
So has anyone seen this analysis of the film? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94wR0NfewE&feature=plcp

He makes some really interesting connections. Some I really hope the film wasn't trying to do, some I don't think the film was doing at all, and others that I really hope Scott had in mind.

There are a number of spoilers in that analysis just so you all know if you haven't already seen the film.
post #2118 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

Maybe so, but in the end who's career will have lasted longer? cool.gif
By my estimation Ms. Swift will be a has been in 5 years time. Iron Maiden still sells out arenas after 30+ years.

*hee hee* Former rock jock. Been doing country for the last 25 years. Know both acts quite well. I'll take that bet.
post #2119 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

So has anyone seen this analysis of the film? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94wR0NfewE&feature=plcp
He makes some really interesting connections. Some I really hope the film wasn't trying to do, some I don't think the film was doing at all, and others that I really hope Scott had in mind.

There are some interesting theories in there but he's also stretching it a bit at times... Thanks for the link smile.gif
post #2120 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

Partly. To the extent you value the judgment of others and/or the criteria they're basing those judgments on, yes. I think that manifests in the way we all have reviewers or friends who's opinions we trust on movies/games/etc more than others.
But don't take it to far, or you might end up with some erroneous conclusions. Taylor Swift sells more albums than Iron Maiden but no amount of such evidence will have me questioning my preference for the latter biggrin.gif
I wasn't talking about one's personal preference which belongs to each individual and it's his / her own business. What I was referring to was who else or how many share such preference. Knowing such status, one can gauge basically where he / she stands. Remember, this is only about the movie preference so it's only a small aspect of one's life and even if it results in erroneous conclusions, it's no big deal, unless there are people who live and die by movies.
post #2121 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

There are some interesting theories in there but he's also stretching it a bit at times... Thanks for the link smile.gif
The video is interesting and has some points I haven't seen here which makes it very interesting. However, his assessment kind of falls apart at the end.
post #2122 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

The video is interesting and has some points I haven't seen here which makes it very interesting. However, his assessment kind of falls apart at the end.

I thought the end assessment was kind of neat. The idea that the Engineers are really evolved humans is interesting. Gives a bit of motivation for the actions of the woken Engineer, and explains the common DNA. Before watching the video I had sort of thought maybe we'd eventually find out in a future sequel that the big secret about humans is that we're the Engineer's greatest weapons, not xenomorph aliens (or slimes, or snakes, or anything else). What makes us so dangerous is our intelligence, our penchant for manipulation and destruction, as seen in the previous Alien installments where we're constantly looking for ways to exploit xenomorphs for military means. We're like the wild animal raised as a pet that the Engineers were/are afraid will eventually turn on them. I don't know, I think either premise might be a cool take on the reason for our creation and the Engineer's antagonistic reaction.
post #2123 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Just make sure Noomi is safe and please reassemble Michael Fassbender! wink.gif
I assure you....Noomi is safe in my hands script.

David, OTOH, is a different situation.
As a super secret special "gift" to the Engineers, Shaw will retrofit his noggin to an ED-209 during the voyage (you know...just for sh!ts & giggles).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Keep it classy. When Noomi hits engineer air space, she goes all Independence Day - Randy Quaid.
Ha ha ha! Hello, boys! I'm baaaaack! Payback's a bitch, ain't it? cool.gif
Shaw will use her feminine wiles on the Engineer Boss and invite him to her boudoir for drinks and some interspecies porn.
While he is...uhhh, distracted, Dave will pop out of the closet for some prime rib "robot on god" revenge of the ugliest kind.

Well, that's where I am at the moment....nothing is finalized.
post #2124 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

I thought the end assessment was kind of neat. The idea that the Engineers are really evolved humans is interesting.
The end seemed like a too far of a stretch as noted by Morpheo. Also, it has that Trekkie tone (time travel plot).
At early part of this thread, someone posted a link to "leaked" plot of this movie which turned out to be a fake. It had some interesting points too but after about half way, it fell a part when it started to show Trekkie tone (wormhole plot). http://www.avsforum.com/t/1155877/alien-prequel-prometheus/390#post_21410296
Edited by bcruiser - 10/26/12 at 10:02am
post #2125 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

The end seemed like a too far of a stretch as noted by Morpheo. Also, it has that Trekkie tone (time travel plot).
At early part of this thread, someone posted a link to "leaked" plot of this movie which turned out to be a fake. It had some interesting points too but after about half way, it fell a part when it started to show Trekkie tone (wormhole plot).

Based on the youtube guy theory, if the Engineers are 'evolved' humans, then why would they go back in time to create life on Earth? That makes no sense. The black goo can't possibly be their blood either.
post #2126 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I assure you....Noomi is safe in my hands script.
David, OTOH, is a different situation.
As a super secret special "gift" to the Engineers, Shaw will retrofit his noggin to an ED-209 during the voyage (you know...just for sh!ts & giggles).
Shaw will use her feminine wiles on the Engineer Boss and invite him to her boudoir for drinks and some interspecies porn.
While he is...uhhh, distracted, Dave will pop out of the closet for some prime rib "robot on god" revenge of the ugliest kind.
Well, that's where I am at the moment....nothing is finalized.

That is a start. You could also have Noomi draw upon her Girl with the Dragon Tattoo experience and have David videotape the encounter - blackmailing the engineers to not destroy mankind.

Or, perhaps, go in an entirely different direction with religious and philosophical undertones that will be embraced by half the moviegoers, ingnored by 25% and VEHEMNTLY DESPISED by the rest? biggrin.gif
post #2127 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

That is a start. You could also have Noomi draw upon her Girl with the Dragon Tattoo experience and have David videotape the encounter - blackmailing the engineers to not destroy mankind.
Or, perhaps, go in an entirely different direction with religious and philosophical undertones that will be embraced by half the moviegoers, ingnored by 25% and VEHEMNTLY DESPISED by the rest? biggrin.gif
LOL.tongue.gif
post #2128 of 2359
Quote:

Hey man, never said it doesn't go both ways.

Amusing thing is that Prometheus wasn't a dude bro movie either. It made it's big bucks finding a median path, which is rather rare for science fiction.
post #2129 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

It made it's big bucks finding a median path, which is rather rare for science fiction.
Agreed.
I think it's safe to say it has done better business than anticipated.
post #2130 of 2359
Thought I'd leave this here. Sorry...couldn't help myself. rolleyes.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Alien Prequel - Prometheus