or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Blu Ray Player Synthetic and Real World Tests Comparisons
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blu Ray Player Synthetic and Real World Tests Comparisons - Page 28

post #811 of 856
Thread Starter 
had a disagreement with mgmt here.

will be posting on my own website this weekend.
post #812 of 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

This has been one of the most helpful, informative threads ever created for this forum. THANKS!

+1

Thanks for the great work - and please do help us find your personal website.

I'm in the market for a new BD player considering my Panny 35 won't play anything other than DVD and CD now... 13 months in... Just my kind of luck.

So, I need your help Winston!
post #813 of 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

had a disagreement with mgmt here.

will be posting on my own website this weekend.

OMG........this sounds terrible and a great loss to the forum.

Is there anything that we fellow users can do to help you and mgt solve what ever disagreement came up?

fafner
post #814 of 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

had a disagreement with mgmt here.

will be posting on my own website this weekend.

This has been a real help, please do post a link to your new site
post #815 of 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmil View Post

I guess Winston9332 didn't want to leave much data on this site - loading times are gone from this thread, deleted by him on 2/14.

Nothing is permanent on the WWW. Someday future historians will be very thankful for archive.org, assuming it survives!
post #816 of 856
Winston has a very good comment linked to in the Denon 1610 BD thread re: using the 1610 BD with the 2310 AVR and getting the benefits of the 2010 BD by doing so. Does there seem to be any advantage/improvement by using the 2010 BD with the 2310 AVR or would PQ/AQ be the same with either BD player?

Thanks
post #817 of 856
assuming you use "source direct" and let the AVR do the scaling, there would be zero advantage in the 2010 vs 1610 unless you were using the better analog audio section -- however, since you will be hooking up to an HDMI AVR, this is moot. So there's really no point in spending the extra.

now, the advantage you DO have is that you have the option to let the 2010 do the scaling instead, so it is more flexible in terms of overall options... but, assuming an HDMI connection with "source direct" for video, there should be zero difference in PQ/AQ.
post #818 of 856
Hi:
How does upscaling of SD DVD by a laptop computer compare to a dedicated player like OPPO 80?

I have a 4-year-old Macbook Pro (Core duo 2.0 GHz). I am thinking of retiring it and leaving it connected to my home theatre full time. I connect it to my Denon 989 through optical cable for the audio and a DVI-HDMI cable for the video. I then connect the 989 to my Pioneer KRP-500 through HDMI. MBP detect the display resolution and set it to 1080P automatically. I set KRP-500 to "dot to dot". If I play the sd DVD on my Mac and choose "full screen", it will upscale to 1080P. I am really curious how that compares to the OPPO upscaling?

I have a lot of SD DVD collections, and I am thinking of ripping them all to hard drives (without compressing them to smaller files since that will degrade the quality). MBP of course has the great convenience of streaming all files from my networked drives including the music from my iTune library (lossless compression). But if the oppo is better at upscaling, I might get it and hope it will get the streaming from local network eventually. Or maybe someone can point me to another player that is as capable at upscaling and can already stream from local network. Netflix streaming is not that important to me. Thanks.
post #819 of 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood65 View Post

Hi:
How does upscaling of SD DVD by a laptop computer compare to a dedicated player like OPPO 80?

I have a 4-year-old Macbook Pro (Core duo 2.0 GHz). I am thinking of retiring it and leaving it connected to my home theatre full time. I connect it to my Denon 989 through optical cable for the audio and a DVI-HDMI cable for the video. I then connect the 989 to my Pioneer KRP-500 through HDMI. MBP detect the display resolution and set it to 1080P automatically. I set KRP-500 to "dot to dot". If I play the sd DVD on my Mac and choose "full screen", it will upscale to 1080P. I am really curious how that compares to the OPPO upscaling?

I have a lot of SD DVD collections, and I am thinking of ripping them all to hard drives (without compressing them to smaller files since that will degrade the quality). MBP of course has the great convenience of streaming all files from my networked drives including the music from my iTune library (lossless compression). But if the oppo is better at upscaling, I might get it and hope it will get the streaming from local network eventually. Or maybe someone can point me to another player that is as capable at upscaling and can already stream from local network. Netflix streaming is not that important to me. Thanks.

You're using a Mac, otherwise I would recommend ffdshow as the program and media player classic as the player. In short, using a PC and ffdshow will obliterate any standalone player on the market. You do need a relatively powerful processor and it's quite a complex program, not for the faint of heart. If you want to go this route, you could get a well spec'd Windows PC for under $500

Here's the download http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

Here's a link on the forum to get you started with the recommended ffdshow and media player settings. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1172653

Using Quicktime or Windows media player will not compare at all...try it but I say you're better off with a standalone.
post #820 of 856
Thread Starter 
Gents,

don't laugh too hard at my pitiful web skills, but here it is: www.winstonsreviews.com
post #821 of 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Gents,

don't laugh too hard at my pitiful web skills, but here it is: www.winstonsreviews.com

Went there and saw the player comparison table but no review of the Sony player. Must have missed it somehow.

fafner
post #822 of 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Gents,

don't laugh too hard at my pitiful web skills, but here it is: www.winstonsreviews.com

Excellent!

-Bill
post #823 of 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by novasol View Post

You're using a Mac, otherwise I would recommend ffdshow as the program and media player classic as the player. In short, using a PC and ffdshow will obliterate any standalone player on the market. You do need a relatively powerful processor and it's quite a complex program, not for the faint of heart. If you want to go this route, you could get a well spec'd Windows PC for under $500

Here's the download http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

Here's a link on the forum to get you started with the recommended ffdshow and media player settings. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1172653

Using Quicktime or Windows media player will not compare at all...try it but I say you're better off with a standalone.

Thank you for the reply. I don't think I will buy a new PC just for this purpose though.
post #824 of 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

had a disagreement with mgmt here.

will be posting on my own website this weekend.

For those of us paying to support this forum I think management owes us an explanation. This was one of the more useful threads on the forum and Winston was helpful to many (not just on this thread) and he spent thousands of his own money buying the equipment that he tested. Without us there is no forum - would management care to elaborate?
post #825 of 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

For those of us paying to support this forum I think management owes us an explanation. This was one of the more useful threads on the forum and Winston was helpful to many (not just on this thread) and he spent thousands of his own money buying the equipment that he tested. Without us there is no forum - would management care to elaborate?

Agreed - BUT - The sponsors pay a lot and in the end I think them and other electronics companies have more pull and $$
post #826 of 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

For those of us paying to support this forum I think management owes us an explanation. This was one of the more useful threads on the forum and Winston was helpful to many (not just on this thread) and he spent thousands of his own money buying the equipment that he tested. Without us there is no forum - would management care to elaborate?

PM a moderator and ask directly.

-Bill
post #827 of 856
Didn't the same thing happen to Joerod for his reviews? BS if you ask me...

Thanks for all your work Winston!
post #828 of 856
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

Didn't the same thing happen to Joerod for his reviews? BS if you ask me...

Thanks for all your work Winston!

thanks. i have no ill will towards avsforums - there are some real gentlemen here, just had an issue with one power that be that decided my work is best expressed elsewhere. i picked up a panasonic 65 at lunch and will review over the next few days. 470 review is complete.
post #829 of 856
Thanks. I've read some of your other posts in other threads and it looks like I was a little late to this one. I will definitely look at your page when I research a bluray player in a couple months.
post #830 of 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

Didn't the same thing happen to Joerod for his reviews? BS if you ask me...

Thanks for all your work Winston!

Yes - 2 of the best gone because the didn't alway pick the paying sponsors equipment as the best - isn't this a forum of science where equipment is rated on actual performance not who might have taken out an ad? I agree that money talks, and when the time comes for mine to talk it won't be renewing if the forum continues to drive off quality posters - and leave us with the crap - speaking of crap, "Let's please return to 3D blu-ray player discussions and streaming on the Oppo
post #831 of 856
Its to bad to loose Winston, Thanks for all your help
post #832 of 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

- there are some real gentlemen here, just had an issue with one power that be that decided my work is best expressed elsewhere.

Been there, done that on some forums, running afoul of some manufacturers.

Are you leaving AVS or just this thread?

Regardless, thanks for all your input here and on some other threads, you've helped me a bunch getting quickly back up-to-speed on some aspects of this increasingly high tech hobby.

GM
post #833 of 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

PM a moderator and ask directly.

-Bill

No, if mgmt had the balls to make the decision, then they should have the balls to own up to it here for all to see. I was actually considering becoming a club member again but not after this. How is this forum suppose to truely function if we are not aloud to express our opinions about equipment (unless it is a glowing review for sponsors). That defeats the whole purpose of this website if sponsors are untouchable. If all the members left avs, I doubt the sponsors would stick around. Mgmt needs to realize who makes this site what it is and it is not the sponsors. Not trying to step on mgmts or a mods toes but, how can we really trust reviews here if they silence everyone who offends a sponsor? This was one of the most helpful threads on this site and now the powers have crushed it. That is just sad.

Already bookmarked your new site Winston, keep up the great work. If AVS was smart they would have tried to hire you instead of push you away.
post #834 of 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

No, if mgmt had the balls to make the decision, then they should have the balls to own up to it here for all to see. I was actually considering becoming a club member again but not after this. How is this forum suppose to truely function if we are not aloud to express our opinions about equipment (unless it is a glowing review for sponsors). That defeats the whole purpose of this website if sponsors are untouchable. If all the members left avs, I doubt the sponsors would stick around. Mgmt needs to realize who makes this site what it is and it is not the sponsors. Not trying to step on mgmts or a mods toes but, how can we really trust reviews here if they silence everyone who offends a sponsor?

You don't think asking the moderators a direct question would yield valuable information? Isn't it at least worth a try?

-Bill
post #835 of 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

No, if mgmt had the balls to make the decision, then they should have the balls to own up to it here for all to see. I was actually considering becoming a club member again but not after this. How is this forum suppose to truely function if we are not aloud to express our opinions about equipment (unless it is a glowing review for sponsors). That defeats the whole purpose of this website if sponsors are untouchable. If all the members left avs, I doubt the sponsors would stick around. Mgmt needs to realize who makes this site what it is and it is not the sponsors. Not trying to step on mgmts or a mods toes but, how can we really trust reviews here if they silence everyone who offends a sponsor? This was one of the most helpful threads on this site and now the powers have crushed it. That is just sad.

Already bookmarked your new site Winston, keep up the great work. If AVS was smart they would have tried to hire you instead of push you away.

That is how things are. I got banned from a board where I was one of the most well known and respected members (not audio ha) for making a comment that was less severe than this. From my other hobbies, AVS forum is actually very fair.
post #836 of 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

had a disagreement with mgmt here.

will be posting on my own website this weekend.

Too bad!! It will AVS Forum's loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Gents,

don't laugh too hard at my pitiful web skills, but here it is: www.winstonsreviews.com

This site looks good to me. Keep up the good work.



Willie
post #837 of 856
Well, I'm not trying to get myself banned, just disappointed with what has happened here. Winston created a very useful and unbiased tool that you would think would be welcome on a site like this. Very disappointed to find out differently and I just voiced my frustration.
post #838 of 856
if you will be using the panny p54G25 and it has WIFI and Netflix and all that, then does your blu-ray player need to stream, as well?

just moved and am trying to figure out a new theater: waiting for the new tv, and getting a Onkyo TX-SR-607 receiver, going with Polk TSi200 bookshelfs, ,ceiling speakers, CS10 center, PSw11 Subwoofer, a universal remote, and I can't figure out what to get for the blu-ray player.

i will be playing older DVDs, new Blu-rays, and want to be okay with the choice for the near future.

i'm obviously not a techie.
just a newbie mom, who enjoys good sound and tv.
please advise
post #839 of 856
anyone???
post #840 of 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by sher View Post

if you will be using the panny p54G25 and it has WIFI and Netflix and all that, then does your blu-ray player need to stream, as well?

just moved and am trying to figure out a new theater: waiting for the new tv, and getting a Onkyo TX-SR-607 receiver, going with Polk TSi200 bookshelfs, ,ceiling speakers, CS10 center, PSw11 Subwoofer, a universal remote, and I can't figure out what to get for the blu-ray player.

i will be playing older DVDs, new Blu-rays, and want to be okay with the choice for the near future.

i'm obviously not a techie.
just a newbie mom, who enjoys good sound and tv.
please advise

A quick reply and I will try to update later...

Your BD (Blu-ray) player does not need to stream if your TV already has the feature. However, you will be stuck with the TV's video processing if you go this route. The video processing of TV's and BD players can vary widely and unfortunately, requires some research. Search for professional reviews on your TV to see if the processing is above average. Perhaps someone can help you with a BD player that streams and also has better than average video processing.

Edit: Let me also add that although good video processing is always nice, the less than BD-quality of most streaming videos probably negates any advantages of said processing. This is especially true if your internet is less than fiber optic speeds (Fios).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Blu Ray Player Synthetic and Real World Tests Comparisons