or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › First-time HDTV buyer, leaning towards the 50" G10
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First-time HDTV buyer, leaning towards the 50" G10

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hopefully you'll bear with me. I've been thinking about getting my first high-def TV for close to a year now, but just haven't been able to pull the trigger on one yet. After reading a glowing review of the Panasonic TC-P50G10 (which is just under my price range), I feel just about ready. The only problem is, my local dealer doesn't carry this model, and although the online deals are pretty good , I'm nervous at the prospect of having such an expensive item shipped.

The alternatives I have seen would be:


1. Panasonic TC-P50S1, available locally.
2. Samsung PN50B550, also available. I haven't been able to find a good review of this, however.

So what do you think? What are your experiences having TVs shipped? Bad idea, or perfectly safe?

On a side note, when someone talks about tuning a TV, are they just referring to adjusting the various picture settings withing the on-screen menu, or is it something more complicated?

Thanks for any help.
post #2 of 14
TVs are shipped all the time and breakage is rare. The various parts that make up a Plasma TV are shipped from various points around the orient to the assembly plant in Mexico. The finished TVs are palletized then shipped on a train from Mexico to regional trucking terminal and offloaded. The pallets of TVs are then trucked via tractor trailer to various regional wharehouse distribution centers around the country. The TVs are then trucked on smaller trucks to your local retailer's wharehouse. Then when you buy one it's trucked to your house either from the retailers wharehouse or directly from the local store. So basically the TV has already been shipped four times whether you buy it from an online retailer or a local retailer.

The TV is more likely to be damaged on the last few miles of it's worldly travels then it was during the thousands of miles of train and truck regardless of if you buy it locally or online. It can survive 10,000 miles of shipping just fine, then when the local store's delivery man hits a sharp dip or speedbump a block from your house the TV gets bounced a foot into the air and comes slamming down onto the wooden truck bed and the screen gets shattered. This can happen no matter who you buy it from. When my local Circuit City delivered my first plasma, two other plasma TVs were laying on their sides when they opened the rear door but the rest were all upright (including mine). I don't recommend picking it up from the store yourself because if you happen to break it on the way home, you have no recourse. The the retailer's delivery people break it, you can refuse it at time of delivery and they'll take it back and you can work out a replacement.

When the delivery truck arrives at your house you should inspect the outer box for puncture holes and for evidence that it was either laid down flat or has fallen over on the ride over (it should always remain upright). Before it's offloaded, jump up onto the back of the truck and remove the upper part of the box (it's secured by four removeable plastic snap-in handles) and carefully and thoroughly inspect the outer glass and inner plasma screen for cracks, also inspect the bezel surrounding the screen, and inspect the rear metal cover to be sure it's not dented. Even if everything looks ok, write the words "Subject To Inspection" on the bill of lading before signing your name - this will come in handy if you find hidden damage after the driver leaves.
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I don't recommend picking it up from the store yourself because if you happen to break it on the way home, you have no recourse.

Randy, I'm not sure this is true. If you take it out of the box and it's cracked, you can simply take it back to the local store for a replacement. What local store would refuse such an exchange?
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Randy, I'm not sure this is true. If you take it out of the box and it's cracked, you can simply take it back to the local store for a replacement. What local store would refuse such an exchange?

Best Buy. Unless the manager is feeling benevolent, he'll just say it was in perfect shape when you picked it up, and you must have broken it on the drive home or when setting it up at your house. They won't just automatically believe you and eat the cost of an expensive broken TV. I would not risk it.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the info!
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
As far as settings, is that something I should hire an expert to tune?

And has anyone done a good side-by-side comparsion of the Panasonic G10 vs. the Samsung B650?
post #7 of 14
I got one of my plasmas from Amazon, no issue with shipping. Another I got locally and they opened the box in front of me and had me inspect the unit and sign off that it was not broken. I was surprised and they told me they will not accept a return because of a broken screen. only after I signed would they load it in my car.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post


Before it's offloaded, jump up onto the back of the truck and remove the upper part of the box (it's secured by four removeable plastic snap-in handles) and carefully and thoroughly inspect the outer glass and inner plasma screen for cracks, also inspect the bezel surrounding the screen, and inspect the rear metal cover to be sure it's not dented.

Great advice (as usual) from Randy.
I would also suggest bringing along a strong flashlight to aid in inspecting the screen.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTrainGBR83 View Post

Hopefully you'll bear with me. I've been thinking about getting my first high-def TV for close to a year now, but just haven't been able to pull the trigger on one yet. After reading a glowing review of the Panasonic TC-P50G10 (which is just under my price range), I feel just about ready. The only problem is, my local dealer doesn't carry this model, and although the online deals are pretty good , I'm nervous at the prospect of having such an expensive item shipped.

The alternatives I have seen would be:


1. Panasonic TC-P50S1, available locally.
2. Samsung PN50B550, also available. I haven't been able to find a good review of this, however.

So what do you think? What are your experiences having TVs shipped? Bad idea, or perfectly safe?

On a side note, when someone talks about tuning a TV, are they just referring to adjusting the various picture settings withing the on-screen menu, or is it something more complicated?

Thanks for any help.

Go with the G10 without shadow of a doubt. I have just picked one up and cannot believe how good it is... see this link for a mini-review I made http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18022703
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTrainGBR83 View Post

As far as settings, is that something I should hire an expert to tune?

And has anyone done a good side-by-side comparsion of the Panasonic G10 vs. the Samsung B650?


Grab the G-10 and don't think twice about it.
post #11 of 14
For a little more you could get the best display on the market, the Pioneer 500M

You do need to supply your own tuners ans speakers though

You guys in the US are beyond lucky.

A 500A goes for $6500 here. I'd have two or three if we had the US price.

Instead I'll probably have to get a Panny for double the price you guys pay for the 500M.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTrainGBR83 View Post

As far as settings, is that something I should hire an expert to tune?

And has anyone done a good side-by-side comparsion of the Panasonic G10 vs. the Samsung B650?

I haven't done a side by side since they were separated at Best Buy and I doubt even the most desperate sales person would have moved them for me.

I looked very closely at both and I liked the G10 better. The Samsung looked more vibrant. If you had 5 seconds to look at each, you would probably pick the Samsung. If you spent 10 minutes looking closely at each, you would realize the Panasonic has a more realistic picture. The Samsung seemed to me to make the dark colors darker and the bright colors brighter. It makes the picture look sharper, but at the same time, it's not showing a correct image.

I can understand why many like the Samsung better. If you like the Pixar movie look, then the Samsung is for you. If you want things to looks bleak when they should look bleak, then the Panasonic is for you. Either way, I think the Samsung and Panasonic are both great. I would give the Panasonic and A and the Samsung an A-.

On a related note...
I looked at the pioneer models on display and I don't know why everyone is so gaga over them. Sure, they look great, but not much better than the Panasonics or Samsungs. Certainly not worth the price difference. I think the Pioneers used to be much better, but other vendors have caught up and now the difference isn't so great.
post #13 of 14
I highly recommend Amazon (where I got my 650 LCD):

1. They deliver it, unbox it, and set it up on your TV stand, then turn it on and inspect the screen for damage.

2. If the TV is defective, they'll send another one free of charge.

3. If you don't like the TV for any reason, you can order a different model and there is no charge except the price difference. (if you just return it then you pay a fee).

Can't go wrong with Amazon.
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post

I highly recommend Amazon (where I got my 650 LCD):

1. They deliver it, unbox it, and set it up on your TV stand, then turn it on and inspect the screen for damage.

2. If the TV is defective, they'll send another one free of charge.

3. If you don't like the TV for any reason, you can order a different model and there is no charge except the price difference. (if you just return it then you pay a fee).

Can't go wrong with Amazon.[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG]

Agree..There is some unseen added costs there sometimes but generally everything runs smooth & you can't beat having the TV set-up for you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › First-time HDTV buyer, leaning towards the 50" G10