Originally Posted by 3FingeredGlove
The RCRP05B has 5 device buttons. Each button accepts a setup code, which is an index into a table of IR parameters. There are 4 tables- Cable/Satellite, TV, Video, and Audio. The DVD and DVR buttons both use the Video table. The instructions tell how to assign a setup code. Assign 2185 to the Cable button.
Cable 2185 had a set of parameters which is close to what you need to control the Dune (IR protocol and device/subdevice numbers), but it doesn't have the exact function numbers for the discrete power commands. Using the 994 command allows you to modify the function numbers.
Once you've assigned a EFC via 994 to a button, that assignment remains even if you were to change the setup code. If you're going to put the RCRP05B back in the drawer until you need to use it for some other learning exercise, or if you decide to use it as a everyday remote, it's quite possible to have forgotten that a couple of buttons are programmed to control the Dune. The you'll get frustrating results. So I recommend that you clear the assignment once you've finished teaching the Xsight 18. But of course it isn't necessary.
AR meant Acoustic Research.
Some family health matters had made me abandon the programming of my Xsight 18 model. Finally got back to working on this. Despite the excellent explanations given by both 3FingeredGlove and mdavej, I still had not got a clear idea on what to do to get the discrete power codes for the Dune Smart D1 using the RCRP05B remote to the Xsight 18.
Finally took the plunge and viola! It worked like a charm. Thank you 3FingeredGlove and mdavej. I might say special thanks to mdavej for mentioning from the outset the value of a cheap JP1 remote like RCRP05B and the recommendation to buy one regardless of whether I buy a Xsight or Harmony One, to pass on codes not found in OEM remotes to Xsight 18.
What looked like difficult task, turned out to be pretty simple. If there is someone like me who has difficulty understanding what to do get the discrete power on/off for the Dune Smart D1, here is a dummy's version
1. Take the RCRP05B remote
2. Press the Cable button on the remote
3. Then press the Setup button and keep it pressed till the Cable button blink twice.
4. Then press the number sequence 2185. The cable button will blink twice confirming the function table is assigned correctly to the Cable button.
5. Then press the Setup button again just once (not a long press).
6. Then press the number sequence 00230 while aiming at the Dune D1. This switched off the Dune D1.
7. Repeat Step 5, and press number sequence 00234 and this powered on the Dune D1.
8. Take Xsight 18 and go the home screen, and then to Settings.
9. Select learn a function
10. Select the Device 'Dune D1' (assuming the Device has been added already and is named as Dune D1).
11. Opt to add a new Soft Button for the Dune.
12. When prompted by the Xsight 18, press Setup button on the RCRP05B followed by the number sequence 00230 on RCRP05B.
13. When Xsight confirms receiving the code, name the Soft button as 'Power Off'.
14. Do likewise for creating 'Power On' soft button with the code 00234.
15. Hook up the Xsight 18 to the computer and upload the saved functions on the remote to your Accoustic Research account online.
16. While connected to the AR online, I went to the Advanced>Edit Extended Keys option for the Dune and renamed Soft button created using Proper Case letter. I hate the all UPPER case menus that the remote create by default
17. Downloaded the changes to the remote and signed off.
I will tackle my Humax Settop box tomorrow. Thank you all of you