or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Acoustic Research XSight Remote
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Acoustic Research XSight Remote - Page 21

post #601 of 741
Please ignore my earlier post. its working now. Finally found someone at dish support who guided me through the process.
post #602 of 741
For the benefit of others who might have the same issue, Hopper/Joey use the same code as other Dish devices like the 722 and 922 (0775), address 1 only. You must enable IR in the Remote Manager on the Hopper for any remote besides the Dish remote to work. I'm guessing that was your issue.
post #603 of 741
I had decided on this remote as my first real universal, however, Fry's is out of stock and does not know when more are coming in. Anyone know of a good place to buy; looks like amazon is the way to go? How do I score those 50 dollar deals several of you found?

I am concerned that this is discontinued but it seems like we should have web support for the foreseeable future in my guesstimation. Should I be considering a different remote? I do not want a Harmony, I do want a computer interface for set up of more complex stuff such as macros. The URC's look like they would be great but how hard is it to get the software? I don't want one if I'm not getting the full feature set. I'm a computer programmer so I can figure it out and I'm not paying someone else to do the programming just to pay them to come back and do it again when I swap stuff out. If I knew I could get the software that's probably the way I would go since this has questionable support down the line.
post #604 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

I had decided on this remote as my first real universal, however, Fry's is out of stock and does not know when more are coming in. Anyone know of a good place to buy; looks like amazon is the way to go? How do I score those 50 dollar deals several of you found?
I am concerned that this is discontinued but it seems like we should have web support for the foreseeable future in my guesstimation. Should I be considering a different remote? I do not want a Harmony, I do want a computer interface for set up of more complex stuff such as macros. The URC's look like they would be great but how hard is it to get the software? I don't want one if I'm not getting the full feature set. I'm a computer programmer so I can figure it out and I'm not paying someone else to do the programming just to pay them to come back and do it again when I swap stuff out. If I knew I could get the software that's probably the way I would go since this has questionable support down the line.

Besides amazon, also watch ebay for deals.
post #605 of 741
Greetings,

Is there any way to add RF devices to control? I have a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan, and of course, it's not in the list.

Thanks
post #606 of 741
The AR customer service for warranty repair/replacement within the one year warranty period was excellent for me.
I sent via USPS my ARRX18G remote last Monday along with a copy of my online Woot! receipt (from 8/01/2011) and a note describing the problem (several keys no longer working) and I received the replacement unit today (Saturday) via first class USPS mail.
All the keys on this unit work well and they seem to have a better "feel" to them - perhaps a later improved version.
I simply used the AR website to download my previously saved settings for 12 devices and activities plus macros and it worked perfectly on the new remote.
Now I will have to see if this replacement's keys work longer than the first one.
But I give the AR warranty service department an A++ rating.
post #607 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicAgeZombie View Post

Greetings,
Is there any way to add RF devices to control? I have a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan, and of course, it's not in the list.
Thanks
No universal can control an RF fan. Sorry. You could do it with X10 or similar that has some sort of IR gateway device.
post #608 of 741
Will the NextGen 433 receiver work with this remote (without using the battery transmitter)?

I'm looking to control:

Denon AVR
Direct TV
Tivo
Sony BD

The units are in a closet ~18ft away. The Tivo is run to a component splitter that feeds three other rooms. One is next to the living room, the other is directly overhead on the 2nd floor, and the third is in the 'bonus/attic' space.. third floor.

The price points are real good for this remote right now.
post #609 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neyland View Post

Will the NextGen 433 receiver work with this remote (without using the battery transmitter)?
I'm looking to control:
Denon AVR
Direct TV
Tivo
Sony BD

Correct, no transmitter required since (in addition to sending IR signals) it transmits RF at 433 MHz which will also allow it to control a DirecTV receiver (that is set to RF mode) directly, i.e., no blaster necessary. If your DirecTV receiver is in IR mode, control will be via the NextGen 433 Mhz receiver.
post #610 of 741
FWIW, I just picked up a new Nevo REX-433 RF base for $30 shipped on ebay, which is less than a Next Gen. It also looks better and has more blasters (6). Food for thought for anyone who needs to buy a base.
post #611 of 741
I thought about doing that but with the Next Gen I can actually locate the Tivo remote in the other room with the battery transmitter. I had the original Next Gen 418 and 433 units. We've moved and I found the mini transmitters and batteries, but can't find the base units anywhere. I suppose technically the 433 transmitters would work with the Nevo, but then I don't know how I would recharge the mini AAA batteries. Or, if another mini AAA battery solution exits for the units. Suggestions?

But thanks for the quick replies!
post #612 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neyland View Post

I thought about doing that but with the Next Gen I can actually locate the Tivo remote in the other room with the battery transmitter. I had the original Next Gen 418 and 433 units. We've moved and I found the mini transmitters and batteries, but can't find the base units anywhere. I suppose technically the 433 transmitters would work with the Nevo, but then I don't know how I would recharge the mini AAA batteries. Or, if another mini AAA battery solution exits for the units. Suggestions?
But thanks for the quick replies!


The batteries included with the Next Gen extenders are not mini-AAA, but N size battery instead. Which are available most anywhere photo cells are sold.
post #613 of 741
Thanks Edmund! So they don't need to be the rechargeable batteries that come with the system? Any 'N' size would do?
post #614 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neyland View Post

I thought about doing that but with the Next Gen I can actually locate the Tivo remote in the other room with the battery transmitter. I had the original Next Gen 418 and 433 units. We've moved and I found the mini transmitters and batteries, but can't find the base units anywhere. I suppose technically the 433 transmitters would work with the Nevo, but then I don't know how I would recharge the mini AAA batteries. Or, if another mini AAA battery solution exits for the units. Suggestions?
But thanks for the quick replies!

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=RPC-Z1USB&utm_campaign=shoppingcom&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=shoppingcom
post #615 of 741
Anyone have a problem with the AR or Nevo RF extender missing commands? I'm not sure if the problem lies in the extender or the remote, but certain commands don't appear to be transmitted at all from my Xsight via RF or picked up by the base. These are usually learned signals. I'm thinking they are possibly too short and get ignored by the RF base. But relearning longer presses doesn't seem to make any difference. Even holding the button down and sending the signal continuously doesn't register on the base. The only device this happens on is a Sony TV. If I aim at the TV, the IR command itself works every time.

My work-around is simply to aim at the device so it gets the IR signal anyway, but I'd like to get to the bottom of this if I can. I've reset the base and remote many times by cycling power, but that makes no difference.

TIA
post #616 of 741
Just got this in the mail and have been struggling with the software, and I am a software engineer. This is some seriously buggy poorly designed stuff and from what I read it used to be worse...ouch. Generally like the remote itself and think it will be fine once everything is set up (although I am not a fan of the slider, usually takes me several swipes to get it to scroll).

For my Onkyo 818 it has discrete on/off for triggers "a", "b", and "c", but they do not correspond to this receiver's Zone 2 and Zone 3 triggers and they do not work. I learned the zone2 power function (my amp trigger is hooked into zone 2) but not having the discrete ones blows. How can I get the discrete ones in there and how do I find them to begin with? My Marantz DVD changer (which I only use for CD's) appears to not be in the DB, learned them for now but have the Remote codes from Marantz's website, is there anyway to put the codes into this remote? Is there any way to look at what is in the DB other than typing in a model number and assuming it works if it goes to the next screen without the software falling apart?

Thanks for your time
post #617 of 741
Learning is the only way to add codes. If you get a JP1 remote, you can add any codes you want, including all discretes. Codes for zones other than 1 are rarely built in and must be learned. If you get a JP1 remote, post back, and I can probably post all Zone 2 and 3 codes for it.

You can use the JP1 database to look for Xsight codes and add them using the setup code method on the remote. Most listed should be in the Xsight as well. Most models within a brand share the same codes, so an exact model match is usually unnecessary.

I agree the software leaves a lot to be desired. The biggest thing that tends to bite new users is not uploading to the website after a learning session. This must be done by logging out entirely, then logging back in.
post #618 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Learning is the only way to add codes. If you get a JP1 remote, you can add any codes you want, including all discretes. Codes for zones other than 1 are rarely built in and must be learned. If you get a JP1 remote, post back, and I can probably post all Zone 2 and 3 codes for it.
You can use the JP1 database to look for Xsight codes and add them using the setup code method on the remote. Most listed should be in the Xsight as well. Most models within a brand share the same codes, so an exact model match is usually unnecessary.
I agree the software leaves a lot to be desired. The biggest thing that tends to bite new users is not uploading to the website after a learning session. This must be done by logging out entirely, then logging back in.

When you say "You can use the JP1 database to look for Xsight codes and add them using the setup code method on the remote.", do you mean, get the jp1 performing the function I need then use the xsights learn function to get the code in there? MSRP 250 and I need to buy another remote to get it doing the right thing, what happened to folks taking pride in their work. Seems to be a real gap in this / harmony one's price point in the remote market IMO. My Onky AVR remote is actually doing a pretty nice job, even has three activities, and was talking to all my gear in under 30min. Didn't have to use the "learn" function even once. I know you've posted it before but, which JP1 remote do you recommend (cheep please)?

I understand the limitations of the upload, If they just thought about what it takes to get a remote set up to the user's liking for five minutes that limitation would not exist. Huge brain fart there. Once you have implement "upload", you can stick that button anywhere. So much weird flakey stuff in there. I thought that the interface was going to be complex making non-computer savey folks have the issue. That is not the case here at all, the software staight blows. Why would you make a computer interface but not be able to add codes, WTF. That being said, I still believe I'm going to be fine with the remote once it is working how I want it to.

Thanks for your help
post #619 of 741
I understand. But you forget that harmony's database also comes primarily from user learns. They just happen to have a heck of a lot more users, hence more codes. And most of the discretes come from JP1ers like me or others who have remotes that use pronto hex codes. I've personally sumitted close to 8000 codes to logitech to date (by means other than learns) which were absent from their database prior. Your onkyo alone probably has over 300 codes, only a fraction of which are in the harmony database to this day. Personally, my devices on harmony were nearly as lacking as they are on Xsight, I added several hundred codes the first few days I got my first harmony.

I agree with all your points regarding the programming interface. My complaints are too numerous to list. Unfortunately it's the best you can do with a non-JP1 remote at this price point. It's still on par with harmony, their closest competitor. Built-in multi-zone codes are rare in cheap remotes like this.

I recommend the RCA RCRP05B at $15 most places. If that's too much, any comcast cable remote with the red OK button is a good second choice at $3 shipped from ebay. There are over 100 JP1 models that we know of, so you may already own one and not know it since they OEM for many, many manufacturers.

If you get a JP1 remote, post your code search in the JP1 forums so more of our experts can help.

Good luck.
post #620 of 741
Got the remote in and the Nevo in and so far it's exactly what I needed. However, it doesn't have the range I'd have hoped for. It works fine in the living room, but go a flight up, almost over the media closet and it no longer works. Is there a way to wire multiple antennas into the Nevo unit?
post #621 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Anyone have a problem with the AR or Nevo RF extender missing commands? I'm not sure if the problem lies in the extender or the remote, but certain commands don't appear to be transmitted at all from my Xsight via RF or picked up by the base. These are usually learned signals. I'm thinking they are possibly too short and get ignored by the RF base. But relearning longer presses doesn't seem to make any difference. Even holding the button down and sending the signal continuously doesn't register on the base. The only device this happens on is a Sony TV. If I aim at the TV, the IR command itself works every time.
My work-around is simply to aim at the device so it gets the IR signal anyway, but I'd like to get to the bottom of this if I can. I've reset the base and remote many times by cycling power, but that makes no difference.
TIA
RF Antenna for the AR base solved this problem for me.
post #622 of 741
Yea I saw that, but I need an antenna in the living room and another in the room above. It would be great if I can somehow put a splitter in and run one upstairs and one in the living room. But, I don't know how feasible that really is.
post #623 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I recommend the RCA RCRP05B at $15 most places. If that's too much, any comcast cable remote with the red OK button is a good second choice at $3 shipped from ebay. There are over 100 JP1 models that we know of, so you may already own one and not know it since they OEM for many, many manufacturers.
If you get a JP1 remote, post your code search in the JP1 forums so more of our experts can help.
Good luck.

Appears my cox cable remote is JP1 so I'm reading up on the other wiki+forum and will give it a run. This has a red power button, has a JP1.3 1003 6 prong jack inside the battery compartment, and has very little model number ID info on it. There is a sticker that has a ton of random numbers on it like RC1675603/35, URC 7820ABP1-0004-R, and 15062. I registered on the wiki and once I get my mind around how to get it done I will be happy to contribute if I come up with anything useful to others.

Thanks for your time and help.
post #624 of 741
If I
1) Create a softkey
2) Use it in an activity
3) Delete the softkey (want to re order / organize them)

Does it also get deleted from the activity?
post #625 of 741
I think so.
post #626 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I think so.

Sure does, deleting a softkey function will also remove it from any activity it is in.
post #627 of 741
Been looking for a Harmony 900 for a good price, but after reading this thread, I just ended up with a sligtly used Xsight Touch from ebay...
Exciting...smile.gif
post #628 of 741
Have not yet received the AR Xsight Touch I bought from US, but I also (!) bought an brand new One4all Xsight Touch from ebay.co.uk and that one arrived today.

Works fine so far, have only done a very basic set-up, will get to the advanced stuff later.

But...

Aren't these remotes supposed to turn on by a little shake..? Mine doesn't. And aren't you supposed to hear some rattle from the remote which turns this feature on..?? Mine is silent.
Or is that maybe missing from the One4all version..???

Anyone knows..?!?
post #629 of 741
I had I UK OneForAll Xsight Touch years ago and it turned on with the rattling switch just like the US AR version. So yours is defective I think.
post #630 of 741
I actually just did a search in this thread on "tilt", and another user stated that this function is missing in One4all-version. Also, tilt is missing from the installation menus...mad.gif

Ok then, the other Xsight on its way to me should have this function...it's an AR...smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Remote Control Area
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Acoustic Research XSight Remote