or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Acoustic Research XSight Remote
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Acoustic Research XSight Remote - Page 24

post #691 of 735
Remote Master runs fine on a Mac, but I'm not sure about the USB driver. Someone will have to try it. You could ask in the thread I linked earlier if it's worked for any Mac users. You should be able to set up the Xsight from scratch without ever using the website, but I've not tried it myself.
post #692 of 735
I did try this a few months ago on mac os x 10.8.4 but couldn't figure out how to get a working usb driver so gave up.
post #693 of 735
Had some lightning damage to my system, knocking out hdmi ports, including receiver HDMI out. Net result, I have to reroute all kind of cables, and reset the remote to select different inputs on different devices (TV is essentially the receiver/switch now). Anyway, it's going to require a re-programme for my Xsight 18. Ugh. Not sure what I did with the manual, cable, etc frown.gif

Wish me luck!
post #694 of 735
Well, so far so good. I'd forgotten how easy it is to edit activities, etc on this remote using the EZ-Remote software. Had to remove IE10, and go back to IE9 to do it, which I think is a good thing thing in general, even if it wasn't an easy switch to make.

If anyone's reading this thread though, I have one issue. My new Panasonic Plasma TV has streaming capability, Netflix, etc, accessed through an "Internet" button on the remote. I've added a "Watch TV Str(eaming)" activity in the XSight, which switches things just fine, and the remote seems to know to use the direction arows and Select to control Netflix. To exit back to cable watching though, I have to hit the "Internet" button on the TV remote, then answer a "do you want to leave Netflix?" question by going down to "Yes" and hitting Select. The Xsight is programmed to hit the "Internet" button in my new "Exit Streaming" activity, but I can't figure out how to make it answer the question with a "Yes". That's ok, I can use the up down Select keys to do that, but when get bak to Cable, the cable functions in the XSight aren't live - eg programme guide, etc. It's not a huge deal, but I have to go to the "Watch Cable" activity in the XSight to turn those functions back on. I've programmed in the exact same set of activity steps for "Exot Streaming" as I have in "Watch Cable", only "Exit Streaming has TV: "Internet" preceding them.

Any ideas?
post #695 of 735
Hmm... I have no problem with IE10 or 11 preview for that matter.

Anyway, I think your "Exit" strategy is the wrong approach. You need to have activities that do things, not undo things, like Watch Cable, Watch Netflix, whatever, and have a single Goodnight activity to shut everything down. With your Exit activity, of course you are going to have ambiguous situations where there is no known key mapping because who knows what devices you'll use next. So I recommend setting up activities as above with all the appropriate key mappings, i.e., transport and channel keys mapped to the cable device when you Watch Cable.

If you still need to exit Netflix, just add the commands you use today with the appropriate delays. I'm surprised Panasonic doesn't have a Netflix button that you could use instead of navigating the menus.
post #696 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees View Post

...had to remove IE10, and go back to IE9 to do it, which I think is a good thing thing in general, even if it wasn't an easy switch to make...
You don't have to remove v10. All versions of IE have Compatibility Mode so you can emulate any previous version without uninstalling what you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

Got the EZ-RC website to work on clean install of Windows7 & IE10-
Download the original software from the AR site
Before running the installer, change it to compatibility for Win7 & run as Administrator
After install, connect remote, goto EZ-RC website
Before signing in, set IE10 to compatibility mode IE8 (F12)
Sign in and it will prompt you to update to the latest version, choose Save As option
Open folder where the update downloaded to, before running the installer, change it to compatibility for Win7 & run as Administrator
Close IE, run the update
Open IE, again before signing in, set IE10 to compatibility mode IE8 (F12)
Sign in and start programming your remote!

Note: Every time you sign in you need to set IE10 to compatibility mode IE8 (F12)
post #697 of 735
Hi,
I have an Xsight Arrx18g that I bought last year. Unfortunately, I never got around to using it or even taking it out of the box until this year (ie. over 1 year old). In any case, the remote is dead. When I plug it into the charger, nothing happens. No lights, no flashing, no LCD. So I thought maybe the charging cradle was bad and I charged the battery in a universal camera/phone battery charger. It looks like the battery charged fine (the light changed in the Universal charger appropriately). However, I still have the same problem. Remote is completely dead. No lights, no LCD, no sound. No nothing.

Any suggestions? Perhaps there is a hard reset of this thing? I can't do the software reset I found online as it needs the LCD to be on. Having AR fix it will cost over $100 since it's out of warranty, so that's not an option. Is this a known problem with a solution?

Thanks,

BM99
post #698 of 735
I think there is a reset button you can get to with a paper clip.
post #699 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I think there is a reset button you can get to with a paper clip.

I think I found the paper clip hole and tried it. No go. Nothing. Dead.mad.gif
post #700 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

You don't have to remove v10. All versions of IE have Compatibility Mode so you can emulate any previous version without uninstalling what you have.

I wasn't aware of the compatibility mode - despite reading the post you quoted - just missed it. either way, it wasn't a big deal to uninstall IE10, and IE9 automatically loads itself. Still, good to know for the futue, thanks.
post #701 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman99 View Post

I think I found the paper clip hole and tried it. No go. Nothing. Dead.mad.gif

Do you have a meter to check the battery voltage?
Have you tried plugging it directly into a PC usb port (no cradle)? might wake it up and does also charge it slowly
Have you emailed AR support? they sent me a battery once, even out of warranty
post #702 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Hmm... I have no problem with IE10 or 11 preview for that matter.

Anyway, I think your "Exit" strategy is the wrong approach. You need to have activities that do things, not undo things, like Watch Cable, Watch Netflix, whatever, and have a single Goodnight activity to shut everything down. With your Exit activity, of course you are going to have ambiguous situations where there is no known key mapping because who knows what devices you'll use next. So I recommend setting up activities as above with all the appropriate key mappings, i.e., transport and channel keys mapped to the cable device when you Watch Cable.

If you still need to exit Netflix, just add the commands you use today with the appropriate delays. I'm surprised Panasonic doesn't have a Netflix button that you could use instead of navigating the menus.

Thanks for replying. The EZ Remote website wouldn't load for me in IE10, no problem in IE9

I originally assumed hitting one of my other activities, eg Watch Cable, would work when I wanted to switch from watching Netflix, (or other streaming), but they don't work, as the TV will not leave Netflix without answering "Do you want to leave Netflix?" That would mean having a separate activity for Watch Cable and for Watch Cable After You Have Been Watching Netflix. It's not a problem switching from watching a BD, or even from watching streaming through a Roku, but the built in streaming in the TV is preventing me from using my regular activities to move away from it.

I'm going to play with it some more to figure out a more elegant solution. Trust me, using an Exit Streaming activity is not how I had the Xsight set up before got the new TV with built in streaming. BTW, the remote for the TV does have a Netflix button, but it's not showing up in the button choices for that remote in EZ Remote, even though I input the exact model numbers for the TV and the remote.
post #703 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees View Post

Thanks for replying. The EZ Remote website wouldn't load for me in IE10, no problem in IE9

I originally assumed hitting one of my other activities, eg Watch Cable, would work when I wanted to switch from watching Netflix, (or other streaming), but they don't work, as the TV will not leave Netflix without answering "Do you want to leave Netflix?" That would mean having a separate activity for Watch Cable and for Watch Cable After You Have Been Watching Netflix. It's not a problem switching from watching a BD, or even from watching streaming through a Roku, but the built in streaming in the TV is preventing me from using my regular activities to move away from it.

I'm going to play with it some more to figure out a more elegant solution. Trust me, using an Exit Streaming activity is not how I had the Xsight set up before got the new TV with built in streaming. BTW, the remote for the TV does have a Netflix button, but it's not showing up in the button choices for that remote in EZ Remote, even though I input the exact model numbers for the TV and the remote.
Maybe I just used IE9 compatibility mode like the previous poster. I don't remember.

All you need to do is learn the Netflix button. I've learned dozens of commands on mine. You're never stuck with the default set of commands as long as you have a remote to learn from (or Remote Master).

If leaving Netflix requires Down-OK, then just add those as the first two (or more) steps of all your other activities. If you aren't watching Netflix, then those commands will probably do no harm, as your TV will either be off and ignore them, or in some other mode where Down-OK does nothing.
post #704 of 735
I did try attaching it to the USB port. Nothing. Also contacted AR and wouldn't help as it was out of warranty. I will check voltage.
post #705 of 735
The charger base on mine is very finicky. I have to make sure the contacts are very clean and drop the remote into it hard a couple of times before it comes to life and starts charging.
post #706 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Maybe I just used IE9 compatibility mode like the previous poster. I don't remember.

All you need to do is learn the Netflix button. I've learned dozens of commands on mine. You're never stuck with the default set of commands as long as you have a remote to learn from (or Remote Master).

If leaving Netflix requires Down-OK, then just add those as the first two (or more) steps of all your other activities. If you aren't watching Netflix, then those commands will probably do no harm, as your TV will either be off and ignore them, or in some other mode where Down-OK does nothing.

I need to spend a little time with the learning function. Right now, I'm just using the available set of commands that show up in EZ Remote to build activites. If I learn a key to the Xsight, where would I go in EZ Remote to select it as a step in an activity? When I edit or build an activity, my devices show up on the right of the screen, I click one, and get the available commands to add to the activity. If I learn one from the original remote, how do I select it for inclusion in the activity?

Basicaly, I need to think this through a little more before diving in and setting up routines. Just didn't have time, and I needed to get up and running so my wife is able to switch back and fore from Netflix to Cable without having to press a bunch of buttons on a couple of different remotes - who knows what will get selected?

Thanks for helping/listening!
post #707 of 735
All learned commands will show up in the list with the other commands, so adding them to your activity is no problem. All you really need to do is learn it to a button on the screen of your TV device. All this can be done right on the remote, no need to do anything in the software, and it will start working right away. Just remember that after you learn you have to upload to the website next time you connect instead of editing an existing config or your new learns will be wiped out.
post #708 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The charger base on mine is very finicky. I have to make sure the contacts are very clean and drop the remote into it hard a couple of times before it comes to life and starts charging.

I have this problem also; I've learned to make sure the charging screen displays when I put the remote into the charger base or else try it again.
post #709 of 735
Has anyone tried using the EZ Remote site today? It was working fine for me last week, but today it doesn't have my setup saved, won't upload a setup from my XSight 18, and shows no devices if I aske to start a new setup. Did it go dead?
post #710 of 735
Looks like I'm talking to myself - bad habit. Anyway, the site is now bringing up my setup, I ask to modify, choose edit an activity, see all my activities and choose the one I need to edit, and.......kicked back to the login page. Pretty frustrating. It's recognizing me, pulling up my info, but not letting me do anything.
post #711 of 735
Have you tried uploading first?
post #712 of 735
Have the same problem. Tried using it yesterday. First time in a while. Lets me in. Try to do anything and am kicked back to the login page.
post #713 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Have you tried uploading first?
Yep. It seems like it has my info available, the setup, the devices, the activities, etc, but as soon as I try making a change, I'm kicked back to the login page. No response from Support either:mad:
post #714 of 735
I thought I would check this thread out to find an answer to an issue I'm having using the EZ Remote site. Looks like I came to the right place. I'm not having the issue of getting kicked back to the login page, at least I didn't get that far yet. The issue I'm having, is that only two of my seven devices are showing up after I upload from my remote. Now I'm afraid to make any changes and download to the remote because I'm afraid I will lose my other devices.

I'll have to try again tonight & keep an eye out here.

Beside this issue, I'm very happy with this remote. I had it for a couple weeks and it's replacing a URC R40. The R40 was a nice remote, but I just couldn't get it to work reliably with the Next Generation Remote Control Extender. I don't need RF but really want it. The XSight Touch is nearly flawless in it's RF operation with the AR extender.
post #715 of 735
FYI, the EZ Remote site was working properly for me tonight. Not sure if anyone else has tried it.
post #716 of 735
Yep - me too - it's back up and working fine.

Now I have different issue though. It's not properly controlling the streaming services on the TV - it'll bring up my streaming channels, I can use the cursor keys to select Netflix, select a show and start it, but then the play, pause, stop, ff, rewind etc buttons aren't working. I can Play, and FF, Rew with the cursor buttons, but the functions aren't live on the play, FF, Rew, Pause, etc buttons on the Xsight. Any suggestions? I guess I need to learn the functions from the TV remote to those keys. I don't want to mess up those functions for my BDP though. If I'm in TV mode, and learn those keys, it'll only apply in TV mode, right?
post #717 of 735
Much like my high schoolers, I'm trying to figure out how to get this thing to learn. I can't find my manual, and the one downlaoded of the 'net dopesn't include learning instructions, only that you start at the Settings menu. Anyone got the learning instructions they care to share?
post #718 of 735
NM - starting at Settings walks you through the process - nice.
post #719 of 735

For Remote Master, do you have to get a JP1 cable? Or can you just use your regular USB that works for EZ-RC?

post #720 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakalope View Post

For Remote Master, do you have to get a JP1 cable? Or can you just use your regular USB that works for EZ-RC?
No, just use the cable that comes with the remote.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Remote Control Area
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Acoustic Research XSight Remote