So i have have my ultio for quite some time now and i thought id give some feedback on my thoughts on this device..
I bought the ultio because i wanted to run my media from my QNAP nas to my tv without hassle.
ill break it down to the basics, the good and the bad
- Plays almost anything i throw at it.. all popular media is accessible
- Can handle a mkv over 2gb over ethernet connection with subtitles just fine
- quality is wonderful
- works with dual audio files
- Connects to my nas and logs in with ease
- Discovers all UPNP connections on my network with ease
- subtitle support is great.. adjusting language, size and position is as easy as it should be.
- UI is fairly quick when working through a wired network
- Device is very quiet (note: i dont use a hard drive)
- remember playback is a godsend and works even after unit is turned off
- the ability to jump straight to a certain time position in the movie using the "GOTO" function is wonderful
- remote responds at some very interesting angles for those in awkward positions from the unit.
- Images handle very well and adjusting and zooming is really powerful.. zoom is great for any high megapixel images.
- screensaver really helps avoid interface from burning into my plasma
- if there is more than one file in the folder it will play the next file automatically.. great for tv shows or marathons
- Can change the aspect ratio of output.. so if you have media files that are in pesky 4:3 ratio you can change it so it stretches and fits your 16:9 screen... not so lucky with 2.5:1 ratio though
- volume adjustment from remote is a small blessing.
- navigation through the remote is fine.. you can use the arrow keys to move through folders ('up' is up, 'down' is down, 'right' moves you into a folder, 'left' moves you to the previous folder, 'next' moves you down a page and 'prev' moves you up a page.) great for those with a library of folders in a directory like me.
- music playback is decent but there are better options out there if you want to u
- Navigation to go deeper into "my shortcuts" is a pain sometimes but from what i read here it is being addressed.
- editing files through the remote is tedious and useless as a function but its there if thats what you want.. renaming files you need to use the arrows/select method instead of using the numbers like if you were texting which i think is a better option.
- turning off the device is a pain. sometimes you get thrown to the menu and you have to sit and wait to make sure it turns off.
- no sleep function
- playing dvds is a tricky subject.. playing data dvds is perfect but can stumble on some normal purchased dvds
- Ethernet leds at the back of the unit blinks like crazy and can sometimes get annoying if the back of unit is facing a wall.. minor gripe, easily fixed with tape.
- Remote is a bit dodgy and sometimes unresponsive
- UI has much to be desired as far as looks go
- Does not support some files like bin and cue files.. but if you extract the DAT file from the bin file you may have some luck in playing that file.. some divx files have problems rendering but only on rare occasions and its mostly errors with encoding...
- NO WIRELESS-N WIFI.. atl all.. strictly false advertising on their part and a total shame on their marketing for fooling me into buying their wireless adapter which is useless until firmware updates.
a very solid device.. very reliable in my month or so experience with using it.. ive been able to access all my photos and my massive movie collection with ease.. i really reccomend it as long as you dont rely on wireless option as of right now there is no wireless-n at all