or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Mvix Ultio "It Plays All" HD media streamer debuts in the U.S. July 6 for $179
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mvix Ultio "It Plays All" HD media streamer debuts in the U.S. July 6 for $179 - Page 3

post #61 of 1256
Multi Channel Flac in MKV supported?
post #62 of 1256
I found some more details on the Mvix USA vs. Unicorn squabble:

Quote:


UPDATE From MvixUSA:

It has been brought to our attention that some Unicorn Networks (our previous supplier) has initiated rumors about our products to distract attention.

Pls. note that "Mvix" is a registered Trademark of MvixUSA and all our products are fully supported by MvixUSA worldwide.

Here is the listing of the registered trademark on US Patent and Trademark Office:
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=77038184
(You will notice that MvixUSA is the rightful owner of the "Mvix" brand since 2006.

Sometime late-last year, MvixUSA had to cancel their manufacturing contract with Unicorn Networks due to the poor quality of products supplied to us last year, which cause significant financial and irreversible damage to MvixUSA's market reputation.

MvixUSA will be marketing, distributing and supporting the Mvix Ultio brand worldwide. We have a very comprehensive customer support platform via our Support Center (which our customers have used for over 5years): http://www.mvixusa.com/support

Mvix Ultio is expected to arrive at our warehouse (near Washington DC) by July 3rd. We expect to start shipping it to our customers as early as July 6th, 2009

So it looks like Unicorn is just trying to spread FUD about a rival product. It seems awfully petty, but there is probably a lot of money on the line for Unicorn, what with the Ultio being significantly better (at least on paper) than any of the products they offer.
post #63 of 1256
Interesting then that it appears that Xtreamer is indeed an Mvix product (allbeit MVixBenelux) built and distributed by Unicorn.

I wonder why this is why both companies have done a stupidly quick release, no marketing, very little about what's inside and so on?

And they both purport to support just about every different HD format out!

Anyone like to join in a little conspiracy that they are in fact one and the same thing?
post #64 of 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

I found some more details on the Mvix USA vs. Unicorn squabble:

It appears there is some real bad blood between the two companies.

The name of the new MvixUSA product is the Mvix Ultio. One of the articles or blogs I bumped into pointed out ultio, ultionis is apparently a Latin word meaning avenging, punishment, or revenge.

(You'll have to google it yourself as I'm new to this group and thus not allowed to post anything with a URL in it. )

However it turns out, it looks like it will at least be interesting product to watch.

-irrational john
post #65 of 1256
By looking at the user manuals, the Mvix Ultio and AC Ryan PlayON!HD are twins. The interface looks exactly the same except for some of the graphics. The menu structure is the same. The manuals read the same.
post #66 of 1256
What I am most curios about is the GUI...

WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE!? I have yet to find any screenshots. Just specs on paper.
How does it's interface compare to that of the EGrate M34A?
post #67 of 1256
Epox, check out the user manual and AC Ryan has youtube videos. Interface is the same except for minor differences.

http://playonhd.spaces.live.com/
post #68 of 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_ View Post

Interesting then that it appears that Xtreamer is indeed an Mvix product (allbeit MVixBenelux) built and distributed by Unicorn.

If this is the case, then I think it's telling of the real trademark status that Unicorn chose not to use the Mvix name for the Xtreamer. I've seen a few mentions that Unicorn was somehow attached to the Xtreamer project, but you would think that they'd market it under the Mvix name if Unicorn actually did have any legal claim to it.
post #69 of 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

If this is the case, then I think it's telling of the real trademark status that Unicorn chose not to use the Mvix name for the Xtreamer. I've seen a few mentions that Unicorn was somehow attached to the Xtreamer project, but you would think that they'd market it under the Mvix name if Unicorn actually did have any legal claim to it.

Supposedly they have a device called the MvixMCE on http://www.mvix.net/
which looks like a clone of the Xtreamer. It has since been pulled from their web page. I think I read the difference is the Xtreamer is supposed to be open source and different UI from the MvixMCe (you can see side by side pics on this post - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post16677510)
post #70 of 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

you can see side by side pics on this post - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post16677510

Very interesting. I hadn't seen that before. It certainly supports my theory that Unicorn has no real right to the Mvix name. Otherwise, why rebrand a product in mid development from a known name to something completely new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemike View Post

By looking at the user manuals, the Mvix Ultio and AC Ryan PlayON!HD are twins. The interface looks exactly the same except for some of the graphics. The menu structure is the same. The manuals read the same.

They may use the same software (it's all open source), but the hardware is definitely different. Look at the ports on the back. Nothing matches up. The PlayonHD has a fan while the Ultio doesn't, and the Ultio has buttons on the front while the PlayonHD doesn't. It's possible they're using the same chip, but you could hardly consider one a clone of the other.
post #71 of 1256
It seems that the Ultio is the Noontec GV-3755.

Noontec is an OEM. Maybe MvixUSA made some sort of exclusive deal for the device where Noontec agreed to no longer offer in its own name or to anyone else.


post #72 of 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonapart View Post

Noontec is an OEM. Maybe MvixUSA made some sort of exclusive deal for the device where Noontec agreed to no longer offer in its own name or to anyone else.

Makes sense from Noontec's point of view. The Mvix name is certainly more well known (at least in the US). I guess this answers the question of who Mvix USA's new manufacturer is.
post #73 of 1256
Just got a shipping confirmation email and a FedEx tracking number. Shouldn't take more than 2 days to get here from VA. Anybody have any specific files they'd like me to test when it shows up?
post #74 of 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

Just got a shipping confirmation email and a FedEx tracking number. Shouldn't take more than 2 days to get here from VA. Anybody have any specific files they'd like me to test when it shows up?

MKV /1080p /4Gb min. Please

mike50
post #75 of 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

Just got a shipping confirmation email and a FedEx tracking number. Shouldn't take more than 2 days to get here from VA. Anybody have any specific files they'd like me to test when it shows up?

Thanks for the offer. Here are the list of files I would like to get playback status on (I had opened a ticket with MvixUSA with the links below on the very day that the press release came about, but they haven't moved beyond putting my issue 'on hold')

1. http://files.getdropbox.com/u/132004...mple_16ref.mkv

2. http://rapidshare.com/files/17256422...80p-Sample.mkv

3. http://files.getdropbox.com/u/132004...010000kbps.mkv

4. http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/132004/te..._high_l5.1.mp4

5. http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/132004/Li...version%29.mkv

Thanks in advance !

(I expect results to be very similar to the ACRyan one.. Just hoping against hope that it is a bit more positive)
post #76 of 1256
The high reframe file in jakmal's post is what I am most intrigued with. 2/3 of my 1080p net-found files are way over the low WDTV reframe limit.
post #77 of 1256
I'll give all those a shot once the Ultio arrives. At this point, nobody even knows for sure what processor it's using, so it really could go either way. Tearing the device apart to find out which processor it's got is one of my first priorities.

Regarding Mvix support, I got an equally vague response to my question about official development / support forums, but at least I got a prompt response. It seems strange that they don't yet have forums, since they are free and so easy to set up. They obviously care enough about homebrew development to issue their $500 "Ultio challenge", so why no dev forums?
post #78 of 1256
The Noontec device likely doesn't exist. Pretty much all reference to it has been removed from the web, and the few pics that remain are renders. What most likely happened is that the Noontec factory came up with the design and tried to sell it to a distributor before building any. The practice is pretty common among Asian factories. Obviously Mvix bought the idea (with some minor changes) and, having found a distributor, Noontec dropped the idea of selling it on their own.
post #79 of 1256
I'll give the files a try. I live 10 miles from their office. I will be getting my unit today.
post #80 of 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDAY-VA View Post

I'll give the files a try. I live 10 miles from their office. I will be getting my unit today.

That's great

I'm considering this or the xtreamer. Interested to see how it is.
post #81 of 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDAY-VA View Post

I'll give the files a try. I live 10 miles from their office. I will be getting my unit today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

Just got a shipping confirmation email and a FedEx tracking number. Shouldn't take more than 2 days to get here from VA. Anybody have any specific files they'd like me to test when it shows up?

Thanks for doing this. If you could, please specifically comment on the huge flock of birds flying in the planet earth clip. This part of the clip seems to be very demanding and causes quite a bit of stuttering on my htpc so I'd like to know how well the ultio can handle it.
post #82 of 1256
Surprise surprise, it showed up early.

Unboxing and internal pics. Click for full size:



Some comments:
The unit came without the screws installed. They probably assume anybody who buys one without a hard drive would immediately install their own. Unfortunately, this means that when I pulled it out of the plastic bag, it fell apart. No damage, but if I had been standing up over a hard floor, there could have been.

The outer housing (everything but the front and back panel) is metal. This is surprising (in a good way), because nobody makes electronics out of metal anymore. It seems to be steel. Aluminum would have been better, but it should keep your internal drive cooler than if it had been plastic.

If you look at the PCB pic, you will notice the connector at the bottom of the pic is not fully inserted. I hope this isn't an indication of general quality control.

Included accessories consist of a 12v 3A AC adapter, 3ft USB (A to B) cable, 6ft RCA (composite + stereo) cable, 6ft HDMI cable, remote (batteries included!), instruction manual, screws, a tiny instruction manual, and a T-shirt.

More to come after I actually set it up and try it out.
post #83 of 1256
Do me a favor and test MKV with multi channel FLAC? So far I have yet to find a unit that supports this format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

Surprise surprise, it showed up early.

Unboxing and internal pics. Click for full size:



Some comments:
The unit came without the screws installed. They probably assume anybody who buys one without a hard drive would immediately install their own. Unfortunately, this means that when I pulled it out of the plastic bag, it fell apart. No damage, but if I had been standing up over a hard floor, there could have been.

The outer housing (everything but the front and back panel) is metal. This is surprising (in a good way), because nobody makes electronics out of metal anymore. It seems to be steel. Aluminum would have been better, but it should keep your internal drive cooler than if it had been plastic.

If you look at the PCB pic, you will notice the connector at the bottom of the pic is not fully inserted. I hope this isn't an indication of general quality control.

Included accessories consist of a 12v 3A AC adapter, 3ft USB (A to B) cable, 6ft RCA (composite + stereo) cable, 6ft HDMI cable, remote (batteries included!), instruction manual, screws, a tiny instruction manual, and a T-shirt.

More to come after I actually set it up and try it out.
post #84 of 1256
Great news Candre23, definitely post your thoughts once you start running this thing through the ringer. Was it determined if it can dts downmix?
post #85 of 1256
Great unboxing pics!

Uses Realtek 1073, same as Asus's O!Play... How will it compare with the Xtreamer's 1283X ? Looking forward to the test results.

By the way, multi-channel FLAC is in the video in link 5 of the links list I posted in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post16779656
post #86 of 1256
Initial results are... not great.

Performance for test videos posted by jakmal above (in order)
1. Pixelation / color distortion in video. Audio fine.
2. Severe pixelation and distortion in video. No audio.
3. Invalid file. Note that on my PC with SMPlayer, this file plays without audio and eventually crashes the program, so it may be a bad encode.
4. Minor pixelation in video (still unacceptable, but not as bad as others), audio is fine.
5. Video is fine. No audio. Has the same .ASS subtitle issues as the WDTV.

Other complaints:
No "home" button. If you're 6 levels deep in a network share and want to switch to a USB device, you have to hit "back" six times (pausing half a second for the system to read the directory contents each time) to get to the main menu to switch to USB.

Browsing menu only shows 6 items per page, and there is no way that I can find to skip through faster than one-page-at-a-time. This means finding a specific file in a directory of 1200 could take over a hundred button presses.

Aspect ratio options are limited to 4:3, 4:3 letterbox, and 16:9. My TV is 16:9, but the monitor I'm testing it on at the moment is 16:10.

I can find no way to change the size, font, color or position of the subtitles. Granted I haven't actually read the manual yet, so it might just be really well hidden.
post #87 of 1256
Thank you for your honest report.
post #88 of 1256
I was so excited to hear about how well this unit did. I guess I was just hoping it would perform well.
post #89 of 1256
AC Ryan has a HOME button.....
post #90 of 1256
Ouch.... Im going to make snipit of a movie that I have rendered... All my movies are within the movie studio spec except with audio for flac that is rendered from the original movie TrueHD/DTS MA, etc.

I will post when I get home tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

Initial results are... not great.

Performance for test videos posted by jakmal above (in order)
1. Pixelation / color distortion in video. Audio fine.
2. Severe pixelation and distortion in video. No audio.
3. Invalid file. Note that on my PC with SMPlayer, this file plays without audio and eventually crashes the program, so it may be a bad encode.
4. Minor pixelation in video (still unacceptable, but not as bad as others), audio is fine.
5. Video is fine. No audio. Has the same .ASS subtitle issues as the WDTV.

Other complaints:
No "home" button. If you're 6 levels deep in a network share and want to switch to a USB device, you have to hit "back" six times (pausing half a second for the system to read the directory contents each time) to get to the main menu to switch to USB.

Browsing menu only shows 6 items per page, and there is no way that I can find to skip through faster than one-page-at-a-time. This means finding a specific file in a directory of 1200 could take over a hundred button presses.

Aspect ratio options are limited to 4:3, 4:3 letterbox, and 16:9. My TV is 16:9, but the monitor I'm testing it on at the moment is 16:10.

I can find no way to change the size, font, color or position of the subtitles. Granted I haven't actually read the manual yet, so it might just be really well hidden.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Mvix Ultio "It Plays All" HD media streamer debuts in the U.S. July 6 for $179