or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Antimode 8033
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Antimode 8033 - Page 4

post #91 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by njandy View Post

Any thoughts on Antimode vs Audyssey multiEQ? will antimode do a better job?

8033 might do a better job on the peaks but will not touch the valleys. Perhaps doing 8033 first then Audyssey makes sense.
post #92 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratso1 View Post

i asked the andrew the well respected owner of blue jeans cables about this:

" I can't think of a reason why the resistors are in place on this assembly. My guess is that it somehow controls the gain increase when a stereo signal is summed together. However, this gain increase is really dependant on the impendence of the system, and can't really be assumed to be a specific value. I would normally suggest using a typical y-splitter for this application, which doesn't use the resistors. Alternatively, some amps do offer a mono-functionality when using just (typically) the left output of the Subwoofer/LFE pre-out to left channel of subwoofer. Doing it this way would have the same electrical effect as summing the subwoofer, and then breaking it back out into an artificial stereo signal (if sub accepts L/R inputs). Just double-check that your devices can do it this way
BJC "

I would definitely want to use the resistors to sum the two outputs because there is no guarantee that those outputs are buffered (few are). If they are not, using a Y-cable without the resistors will shunt the L and R channels to each other and the main output will be mono only.
post #93 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I would definitely want to use the resistors to sum the two outputs because there is no guarantee that those outputs are buffered (few are). If they are not, using a Y-cable without the resistors will shunt the L and R channels to each other and the main output will be mono only.

so the issue then is just a stereo bass vs. mono bass issue if i get you correctly. thanx, kal.
post #94 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratso1 View Post

so the issue then is just a stereo bass vs. mono bass issue if i get you correctly. thanx, kal.

??? I think the issue is mono bass with mono sound or mono bass with stereo sound.
post #95 of 554
sorry i guess i am confused. i have dual full range stereo outputs on my preamp. i would be running one preamp output to my power amp/main speakers and one preamp output (with some kind of Y cable) to the antimode/subs. so if i use the antimode cable, the subs would be stereo and if i use a summed Y cable the subs would be mono, if i read you correctly? the mains would still be recieving a full range stereo signal from the other preamp output? or are you saying that both outputs would be affected? sorry i'm not picking up on this, kal - it takes me some time ...
post #96 of 554
If you can wait until November there will be a new version of the 8033 especially made for a 2.1 system.

http://www.dspeaker.com/fileadmin/da...lease8033S.pdf
post #97 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fins^ View Post

If you can wait until November there will be a new version of the 8033 especially made for a 2.1 system.

http://www.dspeaker.com/fileadmin/da...lease8033S.pdf

I have one sub that I will be using mainly for HT. I'am considering purchasing an Antimode 8033 but now I see they are coming out with a newer model the 8033S.

From the posted specs. would I get better results from the newer (and more expensive) 8033S or should I save the bucks and go for a 8033?

I'm thinking the new model with the latest hardware might get better results?
post #98 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratso1 View Post

sorry i guess i am confused. i have dual full range stereo outputs on my preamp. i would be running one preamp output to my power amp/main speakers and one preamp output (with some kind of Y cable) to the antimode/subs.

OK

Quote:


so if i use the antimode cable, the subs would be stereo and if i use a summed Y cable the subs would be mono, if i read you correctly? the mains would still be recieving a full range stereo signal from the other preamp output? or are you saying that both outputs would be affected? sorry i'm not picking up on this, kal - it takes me some time ...

I do not know what the AntiMode cable is, so I can only comment on the use of a standard Y-cable or one with series resistors in it. The issue is whether your two output sets are independent, each with its own buffer/driver circuitry. In general, they are not in most preamps. In fact, the two sets are usually wired from a common buffer/driver with the equivalent of internal Y-cables.

If this is so with your preamp, then attaching a standard Y-cable between the two you use for the subs/antimode will also shunt together the two main outputs you connect to your amps. The result is that everything(!) is mono. That is why there are Y-cables with resistors in them. They serve to provide a mono signal for whatever use while still maintaining (almost all) separation between the channels on the main chassis.
post #99 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

OK

I do not know what the AntiMode cable is, so I can only comment on the use of a standard Y-cable or one with series resistors in it. The issue is whether your two output sets are independent, each with its own buffer/driver circuitry. In general, they are not in most preamps. In fact, the two sets are usually wired from a common buffer/driver with the equivalent of internal Y-cables.

If this is so with your preamp, then attaching a standard Y-cable between the two you use for the subs/antimode will also shunt together the two main outputs you connect to your amps. The result is that everything(!) is mono. That is why there are Y-cables with resistors in them. They serve to provide a mono signal for whatever use while still maintaining (almost all) separation between the channels on the main chassis.

thanx for taking the time to hold my hand on that one, kal

and thanx so much for posting that fins - i absolutely can wait until november and this will take care of all my problems.
post #100 of 554
this antimode 8033 looks very interesting. i recently added bass traps to the front corners with some pretty decent results.

man, what is it with this hobby? the urge to keep tweaking/improving/upgrading is addicting

anyway, does the antimode have a money back guarantee?
post #101 of 554
Can anyone share their experience with H/K EZ Set Eq and anti-mode?

I am really interested in getting this in my system but would like hear how these two work together.
post #102 of 554
I have the 8033 and I am using to EQ my Rythmik F12SE. Before I bought the 8033 I used the F12SE's PEQ to lower a peak I have around 42Hz. When I did the calibration with the 8033 I did not disable the PEQ. Would it be better to recalibrate with the PEQ disabled to let the 8033 do its thing. Or is it fine using the PEQ and let the 8033 handle other frequency issues? Or does it really not matter which way the 8033 is used in this regard?

Bill
post #103 of 554
After getting REW up and running I thought i'd post my measurements for others to see how this thing works in my room.

without anti-mode;


With Anti-mode:


Overall very pleased. I think if I spent some more time with it tweaking the crossover setting and speaker placement it can get even better.
post #104 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsushiba View Post

After getting REW up and running I thought i'd post my measurements for others to see how this thing works in my room.
...
Overall very pleased. I think if I spent some more time with it tweaking the crossover setting and speaker placement it can get even better.

Looks much better - how does it sound to you now? What differences in SQ are you getting?

I'm on the fence myself and appreciate your graphs. Now I'm really interested in your subjective experience.
post #105 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by allredp View Post

Looks much better - how does it sound to you now? What differences in SQ are you getting?

I'm on the fence myself and appreciate your graphs. Now I'm really interested in your subjective experience.

It really is far better. I was never able to turn the sub up any louder because of the boom and ringing of the peaks. With Anti-mode in there I am able to turn it up and can now hear/feel the lower notes. I always new I was strangling the Servo in this room position but this thing has helped immensly. Less boominess/ringing and more controlled and deeper bass. The servo is still impressive and only shows it's age in looks - that's why it stays hidden in the corner. I like that you can't see it either as it surprises people when they hear/feel the sounds. It was perfect timing as HTTYD and ToyStory3 were the first we watched after I got it dialed in and it was awesome! The lift features are cool too but were of no improvement in my situation. Could be useful for some though.

Great audio investment IMO
post #106 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsushiba View Post

It really is far better. I was never able to turn the sub up any louder because of the boom and ringing of the peaks. With Anti-mode in there I am able to turn it up and can now hear/feel the lower notes. I always new I was strangling the Servo in this room position but this thing has helped immensly. Less boominess/ringing and more controlled and deeper bass. The servo is still impressive and only shows it's age in looks - that's why it stays hidden in the corner. I like that you can't see it either as it surprises people when they hear/feel the sounds. It was perfect timing as HTTYD and ToyStory3 were the first we watched after I got it dialed in and it was awesome! The lift features are cool too but were of no improvement in my situation. Could be useful for some though.

Great audio investment IMO

Excellent - thanks for your impressions/experience! Most helpful, Mattsushiba. Just about time to get off the fence...
post #107 of 554
I have one of these for sale if anyone is interested PM me. SOLD IT......
post #108 of 554
OK - off the fence, ordered an exchanged 8033c yesterday - looking very forward to improved response in my hard-to-drive room!

Just so I'm clear with all the recent cable talk - since I'm running a single sub and using my Onkyo 875 AVR's sub-out, I can just use a regular RCA cable, right? I don't need a special cable with any transformers, transistors, or other nifty gadgets, right?

Thanks for the feedback!
post #109 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I have the 8033 and I am using to EQ my Rythmik F12SE. Before I bought the 8033 I used the F12SE's PEQ to lower a peak I have around 42Hz. When I did the calibration with the 8033 I did not disable the PEQ. Would it be better to recalibrate with the PEQ disabled to let the 8033 do its thing. Or is it fine using the PEQ and let the 8033 handle other frequency issues? Or does it really not matter which way the 8033 is used in this regard?

Bill

Bill...just let the 8033 do all the filtering, and disable the F12's PEQ.
post #110 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Bill...just let the 8033 do all the filtering, and disable the F12's PEQ.

Curtis,

Thanks for the advice. I will try it with the PEQ disabled then recalibrate with the 8033. I think I will measure with REW as it is now then remeasure after I disable the PEQ and recalibrate with the 8033. I'm curious as to how different the two measurements will be. Thanks again!

Bill
post #111 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by allredp View Post

Just so I'm clear with all the recent cable talk -
  1. Since I'm running a single sub and using my Onkyo 875 AVR's sub-out, I can just use a regular RCA cable, right? I don't need a special cable with any transformers, transistors, or other nifty gadgets, right?
  2. And, from what I gather in this thread, I run the Anti-mode first, then run Audyssey in my AVR last, correct? And, I don't need to do any correcting for delays by adjusting the sub distance, right?

Thanks for the help! I'm really hoping to get my room to play nice with my equipment...

Bump - also posted at the Best Sub EQ Under $400... Thanks much - looking forward to Thanksgiving movies and gaming!
post #112 of 554
1) yes. just rca to anti-mode then rca to sub.

2) yes. anti-mode then audyssey. no, no delay adjustment, audyssey will calculate the correct delay that is introduced by the anti-mode. don't change this, even if it is different (which it will be) than the actual distance.

i personally am looking forward to overeating and overdrinking and spending a day recovering...
post #113 of 554
The Antimode 8033S (the new version) is available for preorder and at a Thanksgiving discount. Guess this is their version of a Black Friday sale:

http://www.simplifiaudio.com/special_offers.html
post #114 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffin View Post

The Antimode 8033S (the new version) is available for preorder and at a Thanksgiving discount. Guess this is their version of a Black Friday sale:

http://www.simplifiaudio.com/special_offers.html

Hmmm.... Is it worth an extra 50 over the original unit for a 7.1 system?
post #115 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Stuewe View Post

Hmmm.... Is it worth an extra 50 over the original unit for a 7.1 system?

I ordered it for two reasons:

1. Quiet on/off with automatic fadein.

2. Increased dynamics and SNR for HighEnd use.

http://www.dspeaker.com/fileadmin/da...lease8033S.pdf
post #116 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffin View Post


I ordered it for two reasons:

1. Quiet on/off with automatic fadein.

2. Increased dynamics and SNR for HighEnd use.

http://www.dspeaker.com/fileadmin/da...lease8033S.pdf

Not gonna lie, I don't know why quiet on/off is a benefit or when its used.
post #117 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Stuewe View Post

Not gonna lie, I don't know why quiet on/off is a benefit or when its used.

I would find the quiet on/off very useful as everytime the power goes out (even for several seconds) in my area there is a loud thump from my sub as the 8033C powers back up. In my area power goes out frequently mostly for just a few seconds. I keep my 8033C powered on at all times (so there is no thump) but there is nothing I can do when the power goes out. The quiet on/off would also be a big benefit for those that do not want to leave the 8033 powered up at all times.

Bill
post #118 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

1) yes. just rca to anti-mode then rca to sub.

2) yes. anti-mode then audyssey. no, no delay adjustment, audyssey will calculate the correct delay that is introduced by the anti-mode. don't change this, even if it is different (which it will be) than the actual distance.

i personally am looking forward to overeating and overdrinking and spending a day recovering...

Much appreciated!

Enjoy your plan - I'll be doing the same thing sans the vino.

Thanks again.
post #119 of 554
Does anyone (TEL) know if the 8033c will ping dual subs individually and apply individual delay and calibration?
post #120 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

Does anyone (TEL) know if the 8033c will ping dual subs individually and apply individual delay and calibration?

I would say no. I didnt see anyway you could even hook it up for that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Antimode 8033