or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 2310CI / 890 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 2310CI / 890 Owner's Thread - Page 70

post #2071 of 7166
I am currently revamping my theater audio/video. I just purchased a Samsung BD-P1600 Blue Ray player, and a 50" Panasonic S1 plasma.

My speaker setup is Klipsch 5.1 and I have owned it for about 4 years. Paid about $1,800 new. They sound great! I am also looking at adding 2 more sorround speakers in the future and making it a 7.1 setup.

I have a DVR/HD cable box with HDMI connection, and have an old dvd player which I will now be using as a cd player for audio. I have some concerns and questions.

1) I have been looking at the Denon AVR-2310 and what I want out of the receiver is as follows:

a) I am looking at running audio/video through HDMI and running it all through my receiver and outputing to the tv and speakers.

b) I will have two speakers setup in another room which I am hoping to control with the receiver (volume, being able to select a different source if needed, and turn off and on, etc). Looking to see if Zone2 will work for this?

c) Want the best audio and video passthrough possible on the receiver and curious how I should connect everything (what cables to use from where to where)?

2) I would like advice as to if I should connect everything using HDMI or use only HDMI and run audio through optical cables. My concern with not using HDMI for audio if the fact that I will not be able to passthrough Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD (from what I understand).

3) Lastly, would purchasing cables from a vendor such as monoprice.com (optical, HDMI, speaker, etc) be as good as Monster cables?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
post #2072 of 7166
frogstall
Quote:
I have an old Mitsubishi WS-55857 which was great in its day but lacks today's HDMI connectivity. I'm pretty sure the TV can display 720p or 1080i but lacks internal HD processing and would like to process video in the 2310. The other 2 component inputs are being taken up by a Wii and a DVD player.

batpig
Quote:
no it's not possible. No receiver will do this due to HDCP copyright restrictions on HDMI. There are aftermarket devices (like HDFury) which can do it.

The HDFury2 is on sale at the moment at Monoprice.
post #2073 of 7166
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1980 View Post

a) I am looking at running audio/video through HDMI and running it all through my receiver and outputing to the tv and speakers.

that's the whole point of the AVR! switch the video going to the TV and play the audio on your speakers. I'm not exactly sure to which speakers (exteranal or TV) you were referring at the end but, just to be clear, it can pass audio to your TV speakers but only from HDMI sources. It won't convert other types of audio to output to your TV speakers, but of course it will have no problems playing any audio on your external speakers (that being the whole point and all!)

Quote:
b) I will have two speakers setup in another room which I am hoping to control with the receiver (volume, being able to select a different source if needed, and turn off and on, etc). Looking to see if Zone2 will work for this?

yes that is exactly the point of Zone 2, you can read the Zone 2 section of my FAQ for specific details: http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#multizone

Quote:
c) Want the best audio and video passthrough possible on the receiver and curious how I should connect everything (what cables to use from where to where)?

cable box and BDP1600 would be connected via HDMI for audio + video, the DVD/CD player (since it will just be for audio CD's) just hook up with an optical or coaxial digital audio cable or analog RCA's, doesn't matter which.

Quote:
2) I would like advice as to if I should connect everything using HDMI or use only HDMI and run audio through optical cables. My concern with not using HDMI for audio if the fact that I will not be able to passthrough Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD (from what I understand).

HDMI carries audio + video so there is no reason to also use optical cables. You are correct that to hear the new HD audio formats on Blu-rays you will need to use HDMI from the Samsung BDP.

However, you should know that you may need to update the firmware on your 2310 in order to get it to jive fully with the Sammy BDP. There was a bug in the Denon '10 models which causes it to have audio issues with the Samsung BDP's (1600 and 3600) in certain situations, and the new firmware resolves this. Make sure you get the 2310 model (and not its twin the 890) because the 2310 is firmware updatable by you at home.

Quote:
3) Lastly, would purchasing cables from a vendor such as monoprice.com (optical, HDMI, speaker, etc) be as good as Monster cables?

it's better, Monster is a rip-off so save your money and order from monoprice, they are a trusted and highly recommended source.
post #2074 of 7166
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordZeal View Post

Can anyone help me with this problem? I'm still new to the AVR-890 so maybe it's something I'm doing wrong.

I have my FiOS TV box hooked via HDMI to the Sat/Cbl input on the Denon. I renamed the input to "FiOS" and set up Audessy and saved the settings to my quick memory 1. It works fine for a while, but then somehow everything gets set back to default settings and the input name changes back to Sat/Cbl. My other quick memory inputs don't seem to be having this problem. Anyone know what's going on? Thanks!

Whenever you are finished and have set up everything for that specific quick select button don't forget to press it and hold it down for more than 2 seconds or until the text "memory" appears on the Denon's display. That should do the trick!
post #2075 of 7166
Thank you very very much for the input batpig. I have one more question. I read in the link you placed about the Zone2 connection that you need an external amp. I don't want to have to hook up an external amp to run those two speakers. Can't I just run the speaker wires directly from the speakers to the Denon (to Zone2) and have it work the way I want it?

One more favor, can you break down for me all the cables I would need to purchase for my setup? I am pretty sure of what I would need but need to make sure I don't miss anything (especially from the tv to the receiver and everything else because the tv will be mounted on the wall and only want to do one cable run, not have to rerun cable if I forget something).

Also, how would you compare or match up this receiver to the Onkyo TX-NR807? Pros and Cons

Finally, who has the best price on this receiver?
post #2076 of 7166
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

it's better, Monster is a rip-off so save your money and order from monoprice, they are a trusted and highly recommended source.

I would sooner use twine than Monster cable.
post #2077 of 7166
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I have one more question. I read in the link you placed about the Zone2 connection that you need an external amp.

no you don't, you only need an extra amp if you are running 7.1 in main zone. if you are running 5.1 in main zone then you have two extra amps that can be used to power zone 2.

re-read the link, I explain how to hook this up

Quote:
One more favor, can you break down for me all the cables I would need to purchase for my setup? I am pretty sure of what I would need but need to make sure I don't miss anything (especially from the tv to the receiver and everything else because the tv will be mounted on the wall and only want to do one cable run, not have to rerun cable if I forget something).

1) You will need 3 HDMI cables. One each to connect the cable box and BDP to the Denon AVR, and one to run through the wall to your TV. Make sure they are long enough of course, especially the one that goes through the wall! Leave yourself 3-4 feet of extra room on the one going through the wall as you have to have enough room to maneuver it and hook it up to the AVR. Unless you have any runs longer than 15ft or so you can get the 28-gauge cables, the thicker 24awg ones are pretty stiff and hard to work with.

Pick any of the HDMI 1.3a certified cables from here:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10243

I would recommend getting an extra or two since the short ones are only 3 or 4 bucks each, you may add another component and it will be handy to not have to order again.

Also, make sure you TEST the long HDMI cable that will be going in the wall before you wall-mount! You don't want to find out after you have run it in the wall that it is a lemon!

2) I would strongly recommend getting a few of these HDMI "port savers" as well, especially if you end up using a thicker gauge cable to run through the wall:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

HDMI connections aren't the most robust and it's bad to have a lot of tension on the connector. I found these "port saver" to be a big help when I mounted my TV on the wall, saves you the trouble of having to bend/maneuver the HDMI cable into the plug on the back of the TV. They are also extremely helpful it your AVR is in an enclosed space, you can hook up the port-savers before you slide it into the shelf and then you don't have to feel around for the plug in the back of the unit.

Definitely get one for the connection to the back of the wall-mounted TV, and then get some for the back of the AVR if you are concerned about potential tension on the cables (e.g. if it is a tight space behind the unit where you will be connecting cables).

3) Since you are wall-mounting and running cables, I would also strongly recommend you run a component video cable in the wall along with the HDMI.... just in case. Redundancy is always good. It's a cheap $5 safeguard:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

4) Will you be using the DVD player for audio only or also for video? You haven't specified how you will be connecting this...

5) You will also need standard red/white RCA stereo analog cables for any devices you wish to pipe to the Zone 2 speakers (remember Zone 2 is analog only, see my FAQ).

6) Speaker wire, just grab a roll of 16-gauge from here for however long you need:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10239

If you will be running speaker wire in wall you want to get the CL-2 rated stuff with the insulated white jacket.
post #2078 of 7166
Thank you once again batpig for the detailed explanation. I appreciate all the help. One last question touching on the Zone2 setup. The reason I said what I said about about needing an amp is because I wanted to leave the other two channels of the 7.1 (only using 5.1 now) open because eventually I will be adding 2 more speakers. What do I do then? I would prefer not to add another amp to the mix.

To answer your question, the DVD player will just be used for audio.
post #2079 of 7166
If you want to use the zone 2 on your receiver and have, or plan to have, a 7.1 system you have to use a separate amp for zone 2. There isn't a way around it unfortunately.
post #2080 of 7166
Is there an amp (cheap but good quality) that you would recommend?
post #2081 of 7166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1980 View Post

Is there an amp (cheap but good quality) that you would recommend?

Look around on Audiogon for something like a used Adcom, Rotel, NAD around 50 - 60 watts per channel. That would be your best bet for something inexpensive but built well. Try to purchase from someone with some feedback as well.
post #2082 of 7166
Thread Starter 
yeah, you probably don't need a lot of juice for Zone 2. there are a ton of cheap used amps out there.

since you won't be using 7.1 for the time being, why not hook it up normally for now (5.1 + zone 2) and then you decide to step up to 7.1 you can look into an amp at that point?

Quote:
To answer your question, the DVD player will just be used for audio.

I assume this is the source *music) you will want to pipe to Zone 2 right? If you want to keep things simple then just grab an analog RCA cable and you are done.
post #2083 of 7166
Yes, that is one of the sources I was looking at piping through. Also an ipod, and pandora from my Blue Ray player (I take I wil need analog cables from that as well?).

Also, how does this receiver compare to the Onkyo TX-NR807?

I am trying to decide which of the two to pick up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

yeah, you probably don't need a lot of juice for Zone 2. there are a ton of cheap used amps out there.

since you won't be using 7.1 for the time being, why not hook it up normally for now (5.1 + zone 2) and then you decide to step up to 7.1 you can look into an amp at that point?



I assume this is the source *music) you will want to pipe to Zone 2 right? If you want to keep things simple then just grab an analog RCA cable and you are done.
post #2084 of 7166
quick question regards to PS3 slim. just bought a PS3 slim, when it plays BD movies, i was able to get the HD audio lossless signal, but when i play games, i'm only getting Multi-Ch In. could it be ps3 game discs and BD movie discs are made differently in terms of audio format?
post #2085 of 7166
Pretty much. AFAIK there are no games in HD Audio other than LPCM which would show up as MULT CH IN on the PS3.
post #2086 of 7166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post


(2) An update for non US/Canada 2310 models is being developed and should be available soon. Check with your country/Region Denon Help desk for the latest information on when the update will be available.

Hello all,
I have read all this very interesting thread, and I finally buy my first Denon ! (2310). So it's my turn to post here

The European Denon web site is updated with new firmware for the 2310, build version V0079 is available.
post #2087 of 7166
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephonweb View Post

Hello all,
I have read all this very interesting thread, and I finally buy my first Denon ! (2310). So it's my turn to post here

The European Denon web site is updated with new firmware for the 2310, build version V0079 is available.

Congtarts to you for your purchase and have a lot of fun with your new baby!

As regards the f/w update for the 2310 I looked into the Denon European site but couldn't find anything. Can you share a link, please?
post #2088 of 7166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Congtarts to you for your purchase and have a lot of fun with your new baby!

As regards the f/w update for the 2310 I looked into the Denon European site but couldn't find anything. Can you share a link, please?

Yes I can point to the URL, but as I am a new member here, the forum doesn't allow me to put an URL ! so I have remove the http to post the link :

firmware.denon-online.eu/index.php
post #2089 of 7166
Batpig, do you have any solutions for the problem tha I am having?
post #2090 of 7166
Just wondering if anyone has installed the unofficial firmware update from jdsmoothie's earlier post and had success with the audio on LG or Samsung BD players? Dealing with a similar situation here as I have the lgbd390.
post #2091 of 7166
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephonweb View Post

Yes I can point to the URL, but as I am a new member here, the forum doesn't allow me to put an URL ! so I have remove the http to post the link :

firmware.denon-online.eu/index.php

Thank you for the URL, but for the moment since I have no such issues it handles I think I will not download it to my 2310.
post #2092 of 7166
Hello again everyone. I am on the fence with my Samsung BD-P1600 blue ray. I have herad some horror stories on incompadibility with movies, and devices. Can anyone recommend a better player for around the same price. I love the fact that it streams Pandora so if another player does, I am all ears.

Thank you.
post #2093 of 7166
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cep View Post

Batpig, do you have any solutions for the problem tha I am having?

care to refresh me? I don't memorize every post....


Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1980 View Post

Hello again everyone. I am on the fence with my Samsung BD-P1600 blue ray. I have herad some horror stories on incompadibility with movies, and devices. Can anyone recommend a better player for around the same price. I love the fact that it streams Pandora so if another player does, I am all ears.

check out this master "help me choose a Blu-ray Player" thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=969206

spell out your budget and what your priorities are (e.g. Pandora streaming)
post #2094 of 7166
Batpig, I didn't expect you to recall every post, I guess its fresh to me because Im having the problem. Below is the post that I put out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cep View Post

I just bought the 2310, I am using a QIP6416 DVR with Fios hooked up via HDMI to a 73" Mits DLP. I am trying to get the audio to pass through in stand by. Everything works fine going through the amp, but when I go to stand by the video works fine, but no audio. When the stand by button is hit the tv goes blank after a few seconds the video and audio through the TV flash on for a second. They both flash off for a few seconds and then flash back on. The video comes through, but no audio. I have the TV option for audio set as well as HDMI control to on. Anyone else with this problem or a solution?
post #2095 of 7166
Quote:
Originally Posted by shal2 View Post

Just wondering if anyone has installed the unofficial firmware update from jdsmoothie's earlier post and had success with the audio on LG or Samsung BD players? Dealing with a similar situation here as I have the lgbd390.


I finally got a USB-->RS232 cable and installed that update today. It went fine, although it was slightly nerve-wracking because it took FOREVER. Also, I was unable to subsequently enter the firmware-check mode (pressing power, while holding down the status and dimmer buttons, as instructed), because that didn't seem to work.

But I'm happy to report that the LG BD390 now bitstreams HD audio to the receiver! So apparently the new firmware took hold.

HOWEVER, I'm unhappy to report that the BD390 is still my only source in which the Denon's GUI/volume overlay is non-functional, despite my random attempts to change the scaling settings. Can you or any other BD390 owners confirm the lack of GUI overlay? Apparently this was not fixed by whatever HDMI fixes were supposedly in this update. Makes me wonder exactly what Denon's deal is, since I'm assuming they had a BD390 on hand to test the bitstreaming fix...
post #2096 of 7166
Thread Starter 
Cep - no worries I just got a LOT of questions so it's hard to keep track if you don't quote yourself

for HDMI passthrough you want these settings:

1 - HDMI Control set to ON
2 - HDMI Audio set to AMP (not TV! that setting is for passing audio through when the receiver is on, not standby passthrough)
3 - Set the Standby Source as needed

If it is still glitchy, try to see if you can turn off the HDMI-CEC features in your Mits display. I seem to recall other people having weird HDMI issues with Mits TV's, oftentimes the HDMI-CEC will conflict between the two devices.

Another option if it still doesn't work is to try a different HDMI input on your TV. Some people have reported that things don't work with, say, HDMI-1 but they work fine with HDMI-2. HDMI is funny stuff
post #2097 of 7166
I actually already did this batpig, with no responce. Posted about 6 hours ago. I just need to know if I should return the Sam BD-P1600 and buy something else that's better or stick with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

care to refresh me? I don't memorize every post....




check out this master "help me choose a Blu-ray Player" thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=969206

spell out your budget and what your priorities are (e.g. Pandora streaming)
post #2098 of 7166
Hey guys, I just recieved a 2310 and I cannot get audio over composite. My motorola stb just has composite out. I get video but no audio. I have tried all the composite inputs even on the front. I plug the stb straight to the tv and it works fine. Im just running one hdmi cable to the tv. Ps3 and htpc work fine with hdmi in. Any ideas? Thanks
post #2099 of 7166
all,

i have just ordered a 2310..and apperently there is a promotion here is Singapore and Denon is giving Bouston acoustics CS2310 setup with 2310.

My first AVR 2310 is going to be delivered on this sat. I am going to connect my PS3 and HDMI capable set top box with this AVR.

Thanks to Batpig for providing nice reviews...
post #2100 of 7166
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01mingreyvert View Post

Hey guys, I just recieved a 2310 and I cannot get audio over composite. My motorola stb just has composite out. I get video but no audio. I have tried all the composite inputs even on the front. I plug the stb straight to the tv and it works fine. Im just running one hdmi cable to the tv. Ps3 and htpc work fine with hdmi in. Any ideas? Thanks

You don't mention whether you have any speakers or not connected to the 2310 or if you are trying to use the TV's speakers? Only HDMI audio into the 2310 will transfer to the TV's speakers with HDMI Audio set to TV vice AMP.

If you do have surround speakers, you may have to change the Input Mode for the source (eg. TV/CBL) to "Analog" rather than "Auto".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 2310CI / 890 Owner's Thread