I'm am officially an owner now!
Just went through manual setup with my 890... Going to do Audessey when I get a tripod. Followed the guide on http://www.batpigworld.com/
(amazing site, very helpful!), while also following the manual, and I have a buncha questions...
First, this is my setup:
5 speakers + sub
cable box (Motorola DCT3416) --------> 890 (HDMI)
blu-ray player (Samsung BD-P1600) ---> 890 (HDMI)
dvdr (Sony RDR-HX750) --------------> 890 (HDMI)
CD changer (old Pio) -----------------> 890 (digital coax)
Xbox 360 ----------------------------> 890 (component)
890 ---> TV (Samsung PN63A650) (HDMI)
Now, my questions...
1) Is it possible to assign 2 different names to inputs if one is component and the other HDMI? What I mean is this: I plug in my DVD into HDMI slot labeled DVD, and I plug in my xb360 into component slots labeled DVD. How do I then name my connections through the 890 GUI so that one name refers to the HDMI DVD connection and the other to the Component DVD connection?
2) When doing the speaker level-tone test (plays static sound so you can adjust individual speaker volume), I noticed that the static sound on the left side (front left, surround left) is different from the right. I don't mean the volume, I mean the actual static sound. Is this supposed to be the case?
3) Between my DVDR, TV, and AVR, which piece has the best upscaling/upconversion/video processing?
4) If I'm watching a DVD in my DVDR, and have upscaling/upconversion turned OFF on my DVDR, and the 890 settings are on their defaults, what will the DVD video be scaled to? 1080i? 1080p? something else?
5) In order to see the upscaling of the 890, should I set my TV's "picture settings" to "Just Scan" or 16:9? I want to compare the image quality to see if I can notice a difference, and I'm thinking the way to do it is to turn OFF upscaling/upconversion on every piece but one. Does it matter if DNIe is on/off?
Ok well, that's it for the question bomb (for now, heh). Compared to my other receiver, I am very happy with the sound of the 890. It also improved my sub's bass... I don't know how, but now, the things that were lacking bass, aren't. The biggest difference I noticed was with normal TV channels. All the things I hear now feel natural, bass present where it is supposed to be. The 890 showed me what I was missing.
Even though the manual setup took me a while (after effects of NYE might have had something to do with it...), BPW took the fear out of it and I think I have a good grasp of how to mess with the settings now. So thanks to batpig, and to the people who gave me advice on my purchase.
Haven't slept for almost 24 hours, not planning on going to sleep until the 2nd or so...got a new toy to play with!!
Happy New Year to everyone here!!!!