or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › ** OFFICIAL ** Denon AVR-3310CI/990 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** OFFICIAL ** Denon AVR-3310CI/990 Owner's Thread - Page 123

post #3661 of 3903
^^
Denon's policy normally is to attempt repair and if unable to repair then replace with a refurb if still in stock.
post #3662 of 3903
I powered up my 3310ci today to wach a blueray and it appears my HDMI ports have died. I've tried a master reset and no luck. The unit was purchased new in march 2010. Anyone know if these have a two or three year warranty?
post #3663 of 3903
^^
The XX10 "CI" models only have a 2 year warranty ... the 3 year warranty started with the XX11 "CI" models. However, if you purchased with a credit card, your card provider may add an additional year (AMEX does this for sure and some MC/VISA providers do as well). I'd give Denon a call first though on Tuesday, as they may very well still cover it since you're only a couple of months out of warranty and the NIC card issue is a known major defect of this model.
post #3664 of 3903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
The XX10 "CI" models only have a 2 year warranty ... the 3 year warranty started with the XX11 "CI" models. However, if you purchased with a credit card, your card provider may add an additional year (AMEX does this for sure and some MC/VISA providers do as well). I'd give Denon a call first though on Tuesday, as they may very well still cover it since you're only a couple of months out of warranty and the NIC card issue is a known major defect of this model.

I figured as much. After two processor resets the HDMI out started working again, I then powered the receiver off and it quit working. After another processor reset or two it started again. I'll call Dennon on Tues and see what happens. :|

Anyone know what they charge for repair if it's out of warranty?
post #3665 of 3903
^^
The board will run you about $150 and labor another $75 or so .... so at least $225.
post #3666 of 3903
My wife was looking at craigslist and found 3311ci for $600. Depending on what Denon does I might look for one.
post #3667 of 3903
Man....

Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with mine except a static picture every so often but that's a tv issue not a AVR issue as it only does it with cable tv and not DVD or blu-ray.

*crosses fingers that I just didn't jinx myself*

post #3668 of 3903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage_ View Post

My wife was looking at craigslist and found 3311ci for $600. Depending on what Denon does I might look for one.

Unless you need a feature the 3311CI offers that is not featured on a lower model (eg. preouts), a closeout of a "new" 2312CI might be a better choice at $100 less and 3 year warranty plus it can display the GUI over 3D video which the 3311CI cannot do, otherwise I'd look for closeout of a 3312CI vice going with a used 3311CI which carries no warranty.
post #3669 of 3903
Well it was to good to last it seems what ever the issue was all of the inputs and outputs are dead. Even switching to the radio I'm not getting any audio out of it. I'm calling Denon to see if they will honor the warranty that expired in March.
post #3670 of 3903
Nevermind, it can be done via web interface. It's already at the latest.


After trying to search this thread, there are lots of posts saying they were able to update firmware, and one saying you can check firmware updates manually. How? I can't find anything that says what firmware I'm running either.

I'm looking to update because I bought an Ivy Bridge MB and processor and windows can't find the receiver when I turn it on. The cable is fine. If I connect a monitor directly, bypassing the receiver (same cable), it detects fine. If I use my nvidia card (older computer) it detects fine. So it isn't the cable, monitor, or connector. I've updated the computer firmware and driver, so only Denon is left to upgrade, if one is even available.

Thanks

p.s. Oh, and yes, BTW, the notifications are turned on
post #3671 of 3903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Unless you need a feature the 3311CI offers that is not featured on a lower model (eg. preouts), a closeout of a "new" 2312CI might be a better choice at $100 less and 3 year warranty plus it can display the GUI over 3D video which the 3311CI cannot do, otherwise I'd look for closeout of a 3312CI vice going with a used 3311CI which carries no warranty.

Well I opted to get the 2312CI vs getting mine repaired. I'll sell the 3310 and let someone else pay for the repair costs.

Thanks for the help....
post #3672 of 3903
^^
Great! We'll see you in the XX12 Owner's thread if you have any further questions.
post #3673 of 3903
Just noticed today that my on-screen volume display is no longer working. I checked the options, and it's still turned on. If I turn the receiver off for about 5 minutes then back on, the OSD will only work temporarily.

Anybody else have a problem similar to this? If so, what could be causing it? Receiver was purchased in Jan 2011, but I do have an extended warranty through squaretrade.
post #3674 of 3903
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedNiss View Post

Just noticed today that my on-screen volume display is no longer working. I checked the options, and it's still turned on. If I turn the receiver off for about 5 minutes then back on, the OSD will only work temporarily.

Anybody else have a problem similar to this? If so, what could be causing it? Receiver was purchased in Jan 2011, but I do have an extended warranty through squaretrade.

Mine does that pretty often but it's related to an issue with the cable signal on my tv (HDMI handshake) - also, the osd doesn't work right and the picture disappears sometimes and then the osd comes up instead of overlaying on the picture.
It doesn't do it with blu ray or DVD though. I have just learned to live with it because the 3310 has all sorts of issues.
post #3675 of 3903
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedNiss View Post

Just noticed today that my on-screen volume display is no longer working. I checked the options, and it's still turned on. If I turn the receiver off for about 5 minutes then back on, the OSD will only work temporarily.

Anybody else have a problem similar to this? If so, what could be causing it? Receiver was purchased in Jan 2011, but I do have an extended warranty through squaretrade.

If this is an issue only with your cable/sat box input, it's likely related to a recent firmware update to the box as has been discussed on other threads with a recent update to DirecTV boxes. The workaround until another firmware update is received to resolve the issue is to set the box to a "fixed" resolution (eg. 1080i) rather than setting it to "Native ON". You'll also notice much shorter channel change times by doing this as well.
post #3676 of 3903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

If this is an issue only with your cable/sat box input, it's likely related to a recent firmware update to the box as has been discussed on other threads with a recent update to DirecTV boxes. The workaround until another firmware update is received to resolve the issue is to set the box to a "fixed" resolution (eg. 1080i) rather than setting it to "Native ON". You'll also notice much shorter channel change times by doing this as well.

I did notice a FW update yesterday (DTV) and you're correct, the OSD works fine when I use my Xbox360 or bluray player. Thx for the advice. I'll set the receiver to a fixed resolution then.
post #3677 of 3903
Suddenly today, my Blu-Ray and DVD inputs are locked into Stereo mode. Does anybody have suggestions as to a button or setting that could be been erroneously pushed to cause this change? Whenever I go into the setup menu for audio, it won't even allow me to select rear speakers or anything outside of the stereo mode. Everything has worked perfectly until this came up and now I am stuck and don't know how to get out of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #3678 of 3903
^^

It's possible the Front Speakers button was pressed on the front panel. Did you try pressing the STD button on the back of the remote? If still no joy you may have to reset the microprocessor (p. 103 in Owner's Manual).
post #3679 of 3903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^

The board will run you about $150 and labor another $75 or so .... so at least $225.

Have they resolved the problem with the network board or is the "fix" just hoping to get a board that doesn't fail?

I hate to spend even $2.25 on a gamble that Denon has made a good faith effort to actually diagnose and fix the problem.
post #3680 of 3903
^^
Based on posts in this thread, the replacement board resolves the issue for the majority, with a few posts of additional issues with the replacement board. However, if you cannot get it replaced under warranty (ie. if outside of 2 years from purchase, check to see if your credit card provider will add another year to extend it to 3 years) and have to pay roughly $225 to replace it, then I would seriously consider putting that money into a newer AVR with Audyssey MultEQ XT which is offered in the new Denon 1713 and all "CI" models, all of which are also networking models as well. Also note the newer models have not had the NIC failure issue as was prominent with the XX10 models.
post #3681 of 3903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Based on posts in this thread, the replacement board resolves the issue for the majority, with a few posts of additional issues with the replacement board. However, if you cannot get it replaced under warranty (ie. if outside of 2 years from purchase, check to see if your credit card provider will add another year to extend it to 3 years) and have to pay roughly $225 to replace it, then I would seriously consider putting that money into a newer AVR with Audyssey MultEQ XT which is offered in the new Denon 1713 and all "CI" models, all of which are also networking models as well. Also note the newer models have not had the NIC failure issue as was prominent with the XX10 models.


Although I have been satisfied with several Denon products in the past, I very seriously doubt that I would buy another Denon product to replace a defective product unless they were to offer a rebate to offset my trouble and expense.

How can I have any confidence that they haven't changed their perspective on product quality to increase profits?
Especially since you say that there have been "additional issues with the replacement board".

Put simply, it is much, much more difficult to repair lost confidence that it is to create it in the first place.

Thank you for your response.
post #3682 of 3903
^^
I said there were "a few" issues with the replacement board. For the most part, the new board resolves the NIC issues. And although there were "a few" issues noted on the 3311CI, for the vast majority of 3311CI owners there have been no NIC issues as well as none on the 3312CI as well (at least not posted in these threads). I can certainly appreciate your feelings on this matter and agree that Denon could have handled the replacement of the boards much more effectively and in fact should have extended the warranty on this issue in particular. You don't mention whether you are still within warranty?
post #3683 of 3903
I have a Denon 990, AFAIK it's the same as the 3310. A problem has developed recently, the on-screen volume box is not appearing anymore. I have gone to the GUI preferences and turned it on and off, and moved it from the top to the bottom, but still no luck. I operate my system with a Harmony remote, and since day one I have not had any issues until now. I can get it to work for a short time, if I use the Denon remote to turn the received off and then on, but soon after it goes dormant again. Any ideas on my next step?

Lou
post #3684 of 3903
^^

Welcome to AVS Forum.

Make sure that the "Video Convert" setting is set to ON for each source. And if still no joy, then try unplugging the AVR for a few minutes. And if yet still no joy, then reset the microprocessor (p. 99 Owner's manual) after saving the config file to a PC using the Web Control feature (p. 80-82).
post #3685 of 3903
How do you turn 'Network Standby' OFF on the AVR-3310 ?
post #3686 of 3903
^^
It's set to OFF by default. Refer to p. 39 in your Owner's manual.
post #3687 of 3903
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowrider View Post

I have a Denon 990, AFAIK it's the same as the 3310. A problem has developed recently, the on-screen volume box is not appearing anymore. I have gone to the GUI preferences and turned it on and off, and moved it from the top to the bottom, but still no luck. I operate my system with a Harmony remote, and since day one I have not had any issues until now. I can get it to work for a short time, if I use the Denon remote to turn the received off and then on, but soon after it goes dormant again. Any ideas on my next step?
Lou
If you read a few posts above yours, you will see I encountered the exact same issue. My OSD works great on all other components except my DTV. I had an update to my DTV receiver the night before which what I assume caused the issue. I've just learned to deal with it, as it isn't a problem with the Denon AVR.
post #3688 of 3903
I am looking at buying a refurb unit of this for $400.00. This seems like an amazing price for a $1500.00 receiver. Is there any problems with this receiver or should I just get it ? smile.gif The other receiver I am considering would be a marantz sr6003, it has less features, is only 1000.00 msrp and it is a refurb for $400.00. Is the marantz better in any way than the denon, other then the horrible remote the denon has? I laughed when I saw the picture of the denon remote, it has like 12 buttons!
post #3689 of 3903
$400 is a bit on the high side considering this unit is two revs behind and only includes HDMI spec 1.3 instead of the newer 1.4a. Also the network card on some of these are known to have issues and there's no way to guarantee that the unit you'll receive will not have the problem. I got a killer deal on a 2312, one step down from the 3310 and two years newer, from Crutchfield. It was an open box but it has the full 3 year warranty and the only thing open about the box was the original tape had been cut on it. Everything else looks like it was never taken out. Speaking of warranty my guess for that unit it'll only have a 90 day warranty on it. Do you want to drop $400 only have to pay to fix it 6 months from now?
post #3690 of 3903
Denon factory refurbished units, sold by authorized resellers, now carry a 1 year Denon warranty.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › ** OFFICIAL ** Denon AVR-3310CI/990 Owner's Thread