or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Pt. II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Pt. II - Page 163

post #4861 of 6954
I was very fortunate to have D-Nice coming to Southern California to calibrate my KRP-600M and first I'd like to thank to Elite-Home, Turbe, D-Nice, Shane55 and all the AVS members for your contributions.

I bought my panel from Elite-Home four months ago. I placed my order on the weekend; the panel was shipped out Monday and delivered on Thursday. This is by far the best on-line buying experience for me. You can't do better than this. Elite-Home really took care of me from start to finish and I can't recommend him enough.

After I received the panel, I used Elite-Home pure mode settings. The picture looked so dull; Planet Earth blu-ray looked like more DVD than blu-ray. I remembered first time I saw Planet Earth on the Pioneer 5080, it was jaw dropping. Then I changed my settings to frustated pure settings, the picture looked correct and very nice. After burn in, the picture looked a whole lot better and I was very happy. But in my mind, I always wondered what a patched and calibrated picture looks like. So when I heard D-Nice coming to Southern California, I contacted him right away and I am telling you, it's hard to get a hold of D-Nice because he's so busy.

First, I have to admit I have very little knowledge about calibration. I still have no ideas what gray scale and gamma are even after D-Nice explained to me but I do appreciate good pictures. So here is my post calibration review:

Black level and color accuracy improve in all modes, pictures have more depth.

ISF-day mode is spectacular during the day. The colors pop, the picture is bright and sharp.

But when the night comes and lights are all out, the pictures are so beautiful. ISF-night mode is still bright, sharp, and colorful and it also has more shadow details but Pure mode looks so smooth and pleasant to watch. I had a feeling Pure mode is what the director wanted me to see and it's what it supposes to be. I kept switching back and forth between the two modes. Sometimes it's a bad thing when you have a choice. My reference materials are Lost Season 5 and Celine Dion A New Day blu-rays. Some scenes from Lost 5 are breathless and watching Celine Dion on blu-ray is like watching a live performance. I can't describe how beautiful the pictures are. This plasma really shines at night.

About D-Nice, I really don't know what to say to him. He doesn't need any more praises. After watching the work he performed, I felt I underpaid him. I wished I was rich so I could pay him more. Having the panel patched and calibrated is adding value to my plasma and I never felt I was spending money.

Without the patch and calibration, this panel is just another plasma out there, with patch and calibration, this is a Kuro Reference Plasma.
post #4862 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionracing View Post

As you may or may not know, there is a major snowstorm hitting the Washington, DC area right now. I was basically stranded tonight so me and the roommates decided to watch a movie.

About a half hour ago, the electricity blinked off and then on very quickly. After that, a static red light appears under the Standby text on the panel. This is where the BLUE light usually is. Now, I had everything connected to a surge suppressor (no UPS).

I tried unplugging the AC cable for 10 minutes. No luck. I tried removing the surge suppressor and going straight to the wall. No luck.

Somebody please tell me my panel isn't fried. I don't see how any damage could have been done from a simple power outage, coupled with the fact that my gear is run through a surge.

If anybody has had this issue, please help

UPDATE:
Apparently, there is a safety mechanism built into Pioneer's panels. When harmful levels of current (voltage) are detected, the panel is powered off. This results in the static red standby light.

To resume operation, you must first unplug the panel from the AC outlet. After a few minutes, reconnect, and then you must hold down the 'Monitor' button on the remote (upper left) to power on. The standby light will then transform from red to blue.

Everything seems to be working properly. Good thing because I was busily searching for authorized servicers...

Apologies for the false alarm. I hope this info can help any others who run into the issue in the future.
post #4863 of 6954
Anyone looking for the 500m stand. I have a brand new one I'm not using.
post #4864 of 6954
You guys probably get this all the time but where can I buy one of these? I want one. I used to think my old RPCRT was the baddest thing on the planet but after going to best buy and looking at a 101fd in pure mode then coming home and firing up the RPCRT I'm now depressed. My big baby has horrid color problems(red push out the wazoo) and can't display black when there's alot of bright images on the screen(never noticed it until comparing vs the pio). God I want a 60" but I'll even settle for a 50.
post #4865 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

Yeah, unlike most Pioneer plasmas, the 500m will accept a 1080p signal over VGA. When you're using VGA, I don't think there's an option to *not* use dot-by-dot, so that isn't available.

It is unfortunate that this input is not very calibrating friendly. But 1920x1080 thru VGA is one of the reasons why I choose this excellent TV.

And the blacks are famous by now...
post #4866 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoanl190 View Post

I was very fortunate to have D-Nice coming to Southern California

Um when did he come to so cal? I know he went to nor cal...
post #4867 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepauly View Post

You guys probably get this all the time but where can I buy one of these? I want one. I used to think my old RPCRT was the baddest thing on the planet but after going to best buy and looking at a 101fd in pure mode then coming home and firing up the RPCRT I'm now depressed. My big baby has horrid color problems(red push out the wazoo) and can't display black when there's alot of bright images on the screen(never noticed it until comparing vs the pio). God I want a 60" but I'll even settle for a 50.


If you seen a 101FD at a BB, and really liked it, and are also willing to settle for a 50" set. With the way the Pioneer sets are getting harder and harder to find. You may want to give some serious consideration about possibly buying the set that you seen at BB. It may a lot easier than trying to find a KRP from some other source.
post #4868 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepauly View Post

You guys probably get this all the time but where can I buy one of these? I want one. I used to think my old RPCRT was the baddest thing on the planet but after going to best buy and looking at a 101fd in pure mode then coming home and firing up the RPCRT I'm now depressed. My big baby has horrid color problems(red push out the wazoo) and can't display black when there's alot of bright images on the screen(never noticed it until comparing vs the pio). God I want a 60" but I'll even settle for a 50.

Sent you a PM
post #4869 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoanl190 View Post

I was very fortunate to have D-Nice coming to Southern California to calibrate my KRP-600M and first I'd like to thank to Elite-Home, Turbe, D-Nice, Shane55 and all the AVS members for your contributions.

I bought my panel from Elite-Home four months ago. I placed my order on the weekend; the panel was shipped out Monday and delivered on Thursday. This is by far the best on-line buying experience for me. You can't do better than this. Elite-Home really took care of me from start to finish and I can't recommend him enough.

After I received the panel, I used Elite-Home pure mode settings. The picture looked so dull; Planet Earth blu-ray looked like more DVD than blu-ray. I remembered first time I saw Planet Earth on the Pioneer 5080, it was jaw dropping. Then I changed my settings to frustated pure settings, the picture looked correct and very nice. After burn in, the picture looked a whole lot better and I was very happy. But in my mind, I always wondered what a patched and calibrated picture looks like. So when I heard D-Nice coming to Southern California, I contacted him right away and I am telling you, it's hard to get a hold of D-Nice because he's so busy.

First, I have to admit I have very little knowledge about calibration. I still have no ideas what gray scale and gamma are even after D-Nice explained to me but I do appreciate good pictures. So here is my post calibration review:

Black level and color accuracy improve in all modes, pictures have more depth.

ISF-day mode is spectacular during the day. The colors pop, the picture is bright and sharp.

But when the night comes and lights are all out, the pictures are so beautiful. ISF-night mode is still bright, sharp, and colorful and it also has more shadow details but Pure mode looks so smooth and pleasant to watch. I had a feeling Pure mode is what the director wanted me to see and it's what it supposes to be. I kept switching back and forth between the two modes. Sometimes it's a bad thing when you have a choice. My reference materials are Lost Season 5 and Celine Dion A New Day blu-rays. Some scenes from Lost 5 are breathless and watching Celine Dion on blu-ray is like watching a live performance. I can't describe how beautiful the pictures are. This plasma really shines at night.

About D-Nice, I really don't know what to say to him. He doesn't need any more praises. After watching the work he performed, I felt I underpaid him. I wished I was rich so I could pay him more. Having the panel patched and calibrated is adding value to my plasma and I never felt I was spending money.

Without the patch and calibration, this panel is just another plasma out there, with patch and calibration, this is a Kuro Reference Plasma.

Great post.

Looking forward to him doing my 101-FD.

So, does ISF have more "pop" (detail, etc) than pure? Did he calibrate Pure mode, too?


thx

bob
post #4870 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿche 1 View Post

Um when did he come to so cal? I know he went to nor cal...

D-Nice is on a Calibration Tour in So Cal now and leaves this Sunday.
post #4871 of 6954
Yes,

ISF's have more pop and detail then Pure. D-Nice did calibrate pure mode.

At night Pure looks very good.
post #4872 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoanl190 View Post

Yes,

ISF's have more pop and detail then Pure. D-Nice did calibrate pure mode.

At night Pure looks very good.

Hoan.

I'm very glad to hear it all worked out well for you... from Elite-Home to D-Nice. We both had the same great experience.
And now, yes, our monitors are Reference and amazing.

He also calibrated Pure for me, and I alternate between Pure and Night for most of my viewing (though they are somewhat similar).

I'll probably watch Sundays big game event in Day, however as I love how sporting events seem made to be viewed big and punchy!

cheers and congrats!

shane
post #4873 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post

Anyone looking for the 500m stand. I have a brand new one I'm not using.

pm sent
post #4874 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoanl190 View Post


Without the patch and calibration, this panel is just another plasma out there, with patch and calibration, this is a Kuro Reference Plasma.

Great post, thanks for sharing.
post #4875 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿche 1 View Post

Um when did he come to so cal? I know he went to nor cal...

You have a PM

I was also fortunate to have D-Nice calibrate my 500M on Thursday.
post #4876 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

D-Nice is on a Calibration Tour in So Cal now and leaves this Sunday.

I think D-Nice will come back in April.
post #4877 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

If you seen a 101FD at a BB, and really liked it, and are also willing to settle for a 50" set. With the way the Pioneer sets are getting harder and harder to find. You may want to give some serious consideration about possibly buying the set that you seen at BB. It may a lot easier than trying to find a KRP from some other source.

I just can't see myself paying 3k for a 50", no matter how good it is
post #4878 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoanl190 View Post

Without the patch and calibration, this panel is just another plasma out there, with patch and calibration, this is a Kuro Reference Plasma.

I totally agree! I just got my 500M calibrated by D-Nice yesterday, and the difference is amazing to me. Thank you D-Nice and Turbe!

A couple of interesting things:

(1) I had Pure mode calibrated. I originally used D-Nice's settings. My gamma settings ended up much different than D-Nice's.

(2) I have a DVDO VP50Pro video processor. D-Nice said that it passes the video signal "neutral". He was able to calibrate my set with the video processor in the chain, as the VP50Pro does not degrade or otherwise change the signal, other than adding scaling capabilities. He said I can take it out of my system without affecting the calibration. The VP50Pro is useful for the additional inputs, and because I can adjust and control the PQ of each individual source better than I could with the 500M. It also has decent aspect ratio controls, so I might just keep the VP50Pro in my system. It is good to know that I can sell it, though, without impacting the calibration.
post #4879 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

D-Nice is on a Calibration Tour in So Cal now and leaves this Sunday.


Grrr!!! I was trying to get in touch with him weeks ago to set up an appointment to have my KRP-600M calibrated... now he is leaving today???

D-nice if you see this... want to come by my place and install the patch and calibrate my TV before the superbowl?

How much does this usually cost?

If he can't do it, any Socal calibrators that can install the patch and calibrate my display?

Please PM me
post #4880 of 6954
OK I've been searching up and down this thread... what do the preset AV selections do?

Specifically does the "optimized" setting use the built in light sensor to automatically adjust the display based on the environment and the picture? even if the sensor is set to off... does the "optimized" setting bypass that?

What setting is good for sports? Do you guys actually use the "sport" setting? I find that it has more pixilation/ motion issues... but I think that may be the AT&T source...

What setting should I use to "wow" my friends when they come to watch the Superbowl... to come close to that LCD "pop"
post #4881 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy Guru View Post

I totally agree! I just got my 500M calibrated by D-Nice yesterday, and the difference is amazing to me. Thank you D-Nice and Turbe!

A couple of interesting things:

(1) I had Pure mode calibrated. I originally used D-Nice's settings. My gamma settings ended up much different than D-Nice's.

(2) I have a DVDO VP50Pro video processor. D-Nice said that it passes the video signal "neutral". He was able to calibrate my set with the video processor in the chain, as the VP50Pro does not degrade or otherwise change the signal, other than adding scaling capabilities. He said I can take it out of my system without affecting the calibration. The VP50Pro is useful for the additional inputs, and because I can adjust and control the PQ of each individual source better than I could with the 500M. It also has decent aspect ratio controls, so I might just keep the VP50Pro in my system. It is good to know that I can sell it, though, without impacting the calibration.

What was his gamma target for your display? His reference settings have a gamma target of 2.20. Looking at Htwaits calibrations reports I noticed that Jidonsu's pre-calibration pure mode showed a gamma target of 2.25. I would think that taking the same reference settings and altering the gamma target from 2.20 to 2.25 would have some effect. Now if yours was 2.20 that blows my theory out of the water
post #4882 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

What was his gamma target for your display? His reference settings have a gamma target of 2.20. Looking at Htwaits calibrations reports I noticed that Jidonsu's pre-calibration pure mode showed a gamma target of 2.25. I would think that taking the same reference settings and altering the gamma target from 2.20 to 2.25 would have some effect. Now if yours was 2.20 that blows my theory out of the water

A pre-calibration report shows what the gamma was before D-Nice calibrated the display, and by definition isn't the post-calibration target.
post #4883 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpanda86 View Post

OK I've been searching up and down this thread... what do the preset AV selections do?

Lots of things. I think I posted the default values in the previous thread.

Quote:


I find that it has more pixilation/ motion issues... but I think that may be the AT&T source...

Yes.

Quote:


What setting should I use to "wow" my friends when they come to watch the Superbowl... to come close to that LCD "pop"

Run out to a store and get an LCD? Failing that use Dynamic if you find Sport too realistic.
post #4884 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by p59teitel View Post

A pre-calibration report shows what the gamma was before D-Nice calibrated the display, and by definition isn't the post-calibration target.

I hadn't had my coffee yet this morning.

While DNice's reference settings get you very close each display is different and that is why expert calibration makes such a difference.
post #4885 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

What was his gamma target for your display? His reference settings have a gamma target of 2.20. Looking at Htwaits calibrations reports I noticed that Jidonsu's pre-calibration pure mode showed a gamma target of 2.25. I would think that taking the same reference settings and altering the gamma target from 2.20 to 2.25 would have some effect. Now if yours was 2.20 that blows my theory out of the water

His gamma target was 2.30 for my set. He said he shoots for 2.20 to 2.30, depending on the set. What you are saying seems to make sense as to why my Pure mode gamma settings were different pre and post calibration.
post #4886 of 6954
I'm another recipient of a D-Lightful SoCal D-Nice calibration.

The poor guy left me at about 9 pm last night on his way to yet another Kuro owner.

For those who haven't had a D-Nice visit, the praise heaped here is not overstated. He is very professional, very knowledgeable in calibration and the Kuro sets (he has a lot of Kuro calibrations under his belt), and a genuinely patient and nice guy (you could say he lives up to his name).

Similar to Hoanl190, I discovered the KRP opportunities from all of you on this forum. Purchased my 600M last September from Bobby at Elite Home (arriving promptly and safely), broke it in with Evangelo2's DVD and the D-Nice Panel Aging settings, switched to the Elite Home Pure settings, and thought I had a pretty spectacular picture, until last night.

The calibration took care of an imbalance in my red/blue/green mix (against a D65 white point target, gamma target 2.28). The ISF day picture (at 48ftl?) is sharp and bright without blowing out the whites and graying the blacks. And ISF night picture (at 34ftl?) still provides a full dynamic range -- anchoring the deep black as black, but still showing a lot of detail in the blacks above it). Both pictures are crisp, nice contrast, and beautiful, realistic, color. Considering the initial investment in the display, in my case it was well worth the cost to get my 600M calibrated.

Thanks again to all of you on the forum, to Elite-Home, Evangelo2, Turbe, and especially D-Nice.

David
post #4887 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post

Hoan.

I'm very glad to hear it all worked out well for you... from Elite-Home to D-Nice. We both had the same great experience.
And now, yes, our monitors are Reference and amazing.

He also calibrated Pure for me, and I alternate between Pure and Night for most of my viewing (though they are somewhat similar).

I'll probably watch Sundays big game event in Day, however as I love how sporting events seem made to be viewed big and punchy!

cheers and congrats!

shane

Thanks Shane. You're the best. This forum is so supportive.
post #4888 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Lots of things. I think I posted the default values in the previous thread.


Yes.



Run out to a store and get an LCD? Failing that use Dynamic if you find Sport too realistic.

It's just that I've been pushing the benefits and advantages on my friends who haven't seen how a properly setup plasma can outperform an LCD...

Would've been nice to show the superbowl on an isf calibrated display as many as many of them are in the market fr a big screen... And are easily seduced by what they see at BB
post #4889 of 6954
My ISF calibrator set the Gamma on my 600M at "3". Is that too high? And, by the way, just what is Gamma and how does it affect the picture? Also, I'm interested in getting this ISF Patch, but my calibrator doesn't do them. So how can I learn more about this and/or who do I contact? BTW, does installing this patch void the warranty? And one last question, if I may. When one chooses "reset" in one of the pic modes, does it reset just THAT mode or all of the modes? Thanks!
post #4890 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moore View Post

My ISF calibrator set the Gamma on my 600M at "3".

That could be okay. We'd need to see the calibration report and know your viewing environs to be anything but vague. Although D-Nice can probably answer.
Quote:
what is Gamma and how does it affect the picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

I suggest the illustrated Wikipedia article on gamma correction.

Quote:
Also, I'm interested in getting this ISF Patch, but my calibrator doesn't do them.

According to the list he doesn't install it but he's listed as someone who can use ControlCAL to adjust ISFccc modes if it is installed. If that's not the case please send a heads-up to Turbe. You might qualify for a revisit discount.
Quote:
So how can I learn more about this and/or who do I contact?

Check out the ControlCAL site. Lots of folks have done the update themselves. I don't think it's that hard.

Quote:
does installing this patch void the warranty?

No one knows for sure. Probably not and it can be removed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Pt. II