or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Pt. II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Pt. II - Page 227

post #6781 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^Why?
Because sometimes five inches is not a significant difference. biggrin.gif

Of course, you went for 15" and that's significant. wink.gif
post #6782 of 6954
I figured as much. smile.gif
post #6783 of 6954
Noticed an issue with my KRP-500M and it's freaking me out!

There's an abnormal electricity/static noise from the panel, I'm not talking about the regular plasma buzz as I'm used to that by now owning 2 Kuros. This noise is specially pretty bad when the panel boots up (the phase where the blacks look grey then it dims to normal black levels in 10 seconds or so). Here's a sample I recorded (when turning the Kuro on) because I can't explain how it sounds, make sure to crank the volume a bit to hear it properly because I recorded it with my phone so sound quality is pretty poor:

https://soundcloud.com/metallicaband/krp-500m-noise

It's like random electric charges are going through the circuit boards or something, noise comes from throughout the screen but mostly from the upper left and lower right corners of the screen, not located in one specific place for sure. After it boots up, the set behaves normally for the most part but it does make those noises and it's very noticeable when the Kuro is switching signals (like going from 720p to 1080p) or when I put it on a blank input with no signal.

With regular content, I can Still hear a tiny electricity static pop noise every once in a while which might be related to big contrast shifts on the screen, but those happen pretty rarely and are barely noticeable if I enable the sound (was testing without audio while being OCD as hell). It's not normal behavior though and I'm afraid using the set might lead to something getting really messed up if I ignore this issue, I have no clue what's causing this!


2 things that I'm randomly thinking about right now that might have caused the issue:

1- There could be something wrong with my room's electricity, my 5020FD functions normally in the living room, I'm going to check the circuit breakers tomorrow to see if they're running on the same circuit and to calm my OCD I'll probably take the panel to the living room (they're right next to each other) once my brother happens to be at home and test it there, just to confirm 100% nothing in my room is causing an interference or something.

I've already tried plugging it on a different socket using a different power cord as well, but nothing changed. Changing power save modes doesn't eliminate this issue as well. I also tried unplugging the only HDMI cable connected to the TV and it didn't make any difference.

2- Second thing is really random but I'm kinda desperate here lol, my KRP-500M wasn't installed using an official 500M table stand, another pioneer stand was used which fits perfectly fine, but there's a small issue with the screws, I'm assuming the stand bolts were meant to be used for Kuros that are thick like my 5020FD so the upper screws are larger than what my KRP require and a part of it sticks out, here's an image. It's not possible that after a year + somehow those washers is causing a short or whatever electricity issue, right -_- ?

Couldn't get my hands on the proper bolt length to change those (m8 23mm if I'm not mistaken, probably should look for 'em again), the stand is stable though, but I'd be pissed if this somehow caused the issue I'm having now.

Could this be a power supply going bad symptom btw?

For the time being I fully unplugged the Kuro and cursing my stupidly bad luck now that my 5020 has the red tint issue and I'm facing this weird as hell issue with the 500M, I was looking forward to at least use it for the next 2-3 years until a worthy HDTV is available to upgrade to and was really excited to get a PS4 in March along with MGS:Ground Zeros to enjoy an amazing red-tint free Kuro image, really sucks this happened now.

Any help/ideas would be much appreciated guys.

ps: I'll post this in a couple of Kuro threads since people aren't usually subscribed to all of them!
Edited by metallicaband - 12/21/13 at 2:40pm
post #6784 of 6954
Metallicaband to add to what i suggested on the other thread - behind the PSU there are little rectangular bits of thermal putty things... Which if moved or missing can cause high frequency vibrating. But it's difficult to say what it is - it may not be a power board fault without taking the back of the display and having a look. Tightening up with a Phillips screwdriver all the screws on the PSU, X board and Y board and every component basically (except ones with grey blobs of plastic covering them as these are voltage pots) may help or fix the issue. But before any of that you could try going through all the screws holding on the back cover also as a loose one has been known to cause high frequency vibrations.

But in case it isn't anything like that do you have any warranty or service centers near you ?
post #6785 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post

Metallicaband to add to what i suggested on the other thread - behind the PSU there are little rectangular bits of thermal putty things... Which if moved or missing can cause high frequency vibrating. But it's difficult to say what it is - it may not be a power board fault without taking the back of the display and having a look. Tightening up with a Phillips screwdriver all the screws on the PSU, X board and Y board and every component basically (except ones with grey blobs of plastic covering them as these are voltage pots) may help or fix the issue. But before any of that you could try going through all the screws holding on the back cover also as a loose one has been known to cause high frequency vibrations.

But in case it isn't anything like that do you have any warranty or service centers near you ?

Thanks for the info, I didn't reply earlier because I wanted to first test my KRP in the living room on the same power strip that feeds my 5020FD which doesn't have this issue, I did that today and it's still the same so that ruled out anything in my room causing an interference whether it's my speakers, cables..etc.

I tightened up all the screws in the back cover and kinda ran a blow dryer on the whole thing to remove any possible particles that might be causing this lol, still the same thing. I don't think it's high frequency vibrations causing this as the noise becomes loud at very specific times (startup and changing signals are the most noticeable), it sounds exactly as you said like a bug zapper which is so damn weird.

I am thinking about opening the back cover but I really have no clue whatsoever what to look for, and if it would be safe to turn the thing on while it's lying flat on its face while the back cover exposed. Since this is a very unusual issue, I was thinking maybe I should start a new thread and see if any plasma owner could explain it.

BTW, the table stand screws hit a metal in the panel? It's not anywhere close to the glass right lol? Because since the screws are longer than needed like yours, I'm afraid I'd tight it too much and crack something!
Edited by metallicaband - 12/26/13 at 10:24am
post #6786 of 6954
Just wanted to say that I had my 500M in storage for almost two years, while we had a small living room and a Sharp LED LCD there (Samsung LED LCD in the bedroom). We moved at the beginning of this month to a place where we had a big living room, so I got to take all of my old home theater stuff out and wow. My wife argued that the 500M would be too big for the space and that we should put our Samsung out there, but when I finally got the Pioneer on the wall we were both stunned by the picture. Even though I got it four years ago, the quality beggars that on the two LCDs that we've been using. The bezel has a classic, understated design, and the display as a whole is still amazing.

I'm kind of torn, however. I would like a 60-65" plasma, but if I want to get one of the last Panasonic sets I'll need to sell my 500M ASAP. I really don't want to part with it, but I'm thinking it's the smart choice. I haven't seen much of those Panasonics but I imagine the quality is pretty close to the Kuro?
post #6787 of 6954
Question out there for anybody running an external tuner:

I have recently moved into a new home and now have a projector in my main theater room. I initially placed my 600M up for sale on a local website, but have had no interest as of yet (small population). I now think I will just keep it and place it in my office, which has my work out equipment in it as well. I was initially thinking of putting a smaller 32" tv in there, but if I have a 60" just sitting there... Problem - I do not wish to get a cable box for this room as I can not justify the monthly lease cost given that I use my other 2 systems much more often. I will likely run all of my legacy gaming systems and PC through a receiver to the tv via HDMI. I was also thinking of getting an affordable tuner for TV straight from the coax wall jack.

Thoughts on this product??
www.amazon.com/HomeWorx-HW180STB-Digital-Converter-Function/dp/B00G5RXM16/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388422538&sr=8-1&keywords=hdtv+tuner

I would like a quality picture, but I can't find many reviews that comment specifically on the picture quality. Another option would be to split the HDMI out from the TIVO in the adjacent room and run a long run of roughly 40 feet to the office receiver, I would rather not do this if this separate STB in the link above is a good option.
post #6788 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer View Post

Question out there for anybody running an external tuner:

I have recently moved into a new home and now have a projector in my main theater room. I initially placed my 600M up for sale on a local website, but have had no interest as of yet (small population). I now think I will just keep it and place it in my office, which has my work out equipment in it as well. I was initially thinking of putting a smaller 32" tv in there, but if I have a 60" just sitting there... Problem - I do not wish to get a cable box for this room as I can not justify the monthly lease cost given that I use my other 2 systems much more often. I will likely run all of my legacy gaming systems and PC through a receiver to the tv via HDMI. I was also thinking of getting an affordable tuner for TV straight from the coax wall jack.

Thoughts on this product??
www.amazon.com/HomeWorx-HW180STB-Digital-Converter-Function/dp/B00G5RXM16/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388422538&sr=8-1&keywords=hdtv+tuner

I would like a quality picture, but I can't find many reviews that comment specifically on the picture quality. Another option would be to split the HDMI out from the TIVO in the adjacent room and run a long run of roughly 40 feet to the office receiver, I would rather not do this if this separate STB in the link above is a good option.

I use the HomeWorx HW-150PVR. It only costs $6 more on Amazon and if you plug in a USB hard drive, it functions as a subscription-free DVR as well, with TV listings picked up over the air. It's not as good as a Tivo, but it's well worth the $6 more to me. The only thing I don't like is that there is only one tuner.

I struggle with the concept that people would sell their 600M!
post #6789 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post

I use the HomeWorx HW-150PVR. It only costs $6 more on Amazon and if you plug in a USB hard drive, it functions as a subscription-free DVR as well, with TV listings picked up over the air. It's not as good as a Tivo, but it's well worth the $6 more to me. The only thing I don't like is that there is only one tuner.

I struggle with the concept that people would sell their 600M!

Thanks! I may pick that up.

I agree on not selling the 600M, I never thought I would consider it. Reason for consideration on selling - there is no place for it in my family room (size), my media room now has a fixed 2.35 AR 138" projection screen, and the office that it is going into was not an office till just recently (storage room being repurposed). I figured if I could get what it is worth, I would be able to put that cash to upgrading other items in rooms that get more use.

This "storage room" may be a hang out room for me... I am going to also be dusting off the old SNES, 3DO, & Sega Genesis... None of those systems have been plugged in for over 10 years.
post #6790 of 6954
Hi, I'm missing the speaker wire kit for my 500M...does anyone know if this is propietary or is there another speaker kit that could replace it?
post #6791 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

Hi, I'm missing the speaker wire kit for my 500M
It's both "proprietary" and presumably annoying to fab up. Someone should sort out how to do it.
post #6792 of 6954
Pioneer still has KRP-500M/600M speaker wires in stock, so any Pioneer dealer should be able to order them for you.
ADF1038 Left
ADF1039 Right
post #6793 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post

Pioneer still has KRP-500M/600M speaker wires in stock, so any Pioneer dealer should be able to order them for you.
ADF1038 Left
ADF1039 Right

Yeah, saw that...thanks.
post #6794 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

Yeah, saw that...thanks.

Unbelievable isn't it. I don't know why these are so expensive though.

Because these are monitors i think (perhaps) in the plugs there may be tiny ferrites in them to supress any excess noise /emi/rfi.

I got two back in July and i these were approximately $75 if talking US currency eek.gif
post #6795 of 6954
Hi. Pioneer KRP600M owner and I'm toying with the idea of using the "Power Save 1" mode to, what else, save some energy. The manual says this is the recommended mode but that it does reduce picture brightness somewhat. Has anyone tried this and I'm assuming that if this mode makes the picture too dim, I can just revert back to my original setting, correct? My set has been professionally calibrated and I was just thinking of using the Power Save 1 mode for regular TV viewing, such as news programs, sitcoms, etc. and then reverft back to full power for any serious viewing. Any comment? Thanks.
post #6796 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moore View Post

Hi. Pioneer KRP600M owner and I'm toying with the idea of using the "Power Save 1" mode to, what else, save some energy. The manual says this is the recommended mode but that it does reduce picture brightness somewhat. Has anyone tried this and I'm assuming that if this mode makes the picture too dim, I can just revert back to my original setting, correct? My set has been professionally calibrated and I was just thinking of using the Power Save 1 mode for regular TV viewing, such as news programs, sitcoms, etc. and then reverft back to full power for any serious viewing. Any comment? Thanks.

Yes you can just turn it off if it's too dim for you. Truth be told if you're at the point where you have to turn the power saving feature of a TV on for any reason other than an ecological one, you're probably not gonna notice a difference on your electric bill.

However, if you notice, the power saving is also listed under the "long life settings" (at least it is on my 141) menu selection, so if anything it can help extend your panel's overall lifespan which is never a bad thing. If it's not too dim for you then I don't see a problem with using it for the type of watching scenario you're talking about.
post #6797 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moore View Post

Has anyone tried this and I'm assuming that if this mode makes the picture too dim, I can just revert back to my original setting, correct?

Yes, you can always revert back so just try it and see for yourself the effect and whether it bothers you or not. Some have touted it as a solution to increase life, reduce panel buzzing, and prevent image retention. Others feel you are wrecking the purity of the image in return for miniscule savings in your power bill.
post #6798 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post

Yes, you can always revert back so just try it and see for yourself the effect and whether it bothers you or not. Some have touted it as a solution to increase life, reduce panel buzzing, and prevent image retention. Others feel you are wrecking the purity of the image in return for miniscule savings in your power bill.
How do you know that the energy savings would just be "miniscule." I have been told that plasma tvs draw a fair amount of current.
post #6799 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moore View Post

How do you know that the energy savings would just be "miniscule." I have been told that plasma tvs draw a fair amount of current.

What? I don't know. Did you mean to quote/reply to me? My two followup sentences were a summary of opinions held by others that I've read over the years (note the bold):

Some have touted it as a solution to increase life, reduce panel buzzing, and prevent image retention.
Others feel you are wrecking the purity of the image in return for miniscule savings in your power bill.

I hope it is clear that these are not my opinions, just things I've read over the years. Personally my opinion is, as I already said in the first sentence, "just try it and see for yourself".
post #6800 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moore View Post

I have been told that plasma tvs draw a fair amount of current.
Generalizations are not specific. Kuros draw a great deal of power relative to Energy Star LCDs. That doesn't mean that powersave modes make a great deal of difference in day-to-day viewing of a calibrated display not being used in a high output mode like Dynamic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRP FAQ View Post

Q. I understand plasma televisions use a lot of power. How much?
a. The KRP-500M averages 250W and peaks around 400W. Power consumption is determined by APL and the energy saving options.

This is without power save but within the same picture mode.
post #6801 of 6954
Bottom line is, if you're at the point where you're hoping to see a difference in your electric bill by a power saving change to a TV (and yes, I understand this is probably part of a larger overall shift in your electrical usage habits), you might be better off with an LCD. Because the change between the TVs power save state and normal state are going to net you almost nothing in return. They *might* for someone like me who leaves the TV on virtually all the time, but even then, it will be minimal.

Obviously if you're going to use it for non-critical viewing it doesn't really matter, but at that point it's just extra button pushes. This is why I said that if there's an environmental reason for saving energy where possible, it's fine. From a $$ savings standpoint, it's rather fruitless.
post #6802 of 6954
OK, thanks. I'll take all of you guys' comments under advisement and go from there. I just wanted some input. I'm not a "green freak," but am just looking for ways to save a few bucks, since my electric rates (like everything else) just keep going up.
post #6803 of 6954
Get a Kill-A-Watt for a rough comparison.
post #6804 of 6954
Hey guys. Just picked up a used 600m and wanted to dial in the settings to really bring out the picture. Aside from getting it professionally calibrated what would be the best way to do it myself with software or adjustments I can input via the web interface. The picture is already fantastic with the factory settings but I figured why not really make it shine! I am fairly comfortable with trying this myself and have a little technical background.

Thanks again for any advice you have.
post #6805 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by av7equip View Post

Hey guys. Just picked up a used 600m and wanted to dial in the settings to really bring out the picture. Aside from getting it professionally calibrated what would be the best way to do it myself with software or adjustments I can input via the web interface. The picture is already fantastic with the factory settings but I figured why not really make it shine! I am fairly comfortable with trying this myself and have a little technical background.

Thanks again for any advice you have.

If you get a colorimeter, pg_ice describes Kuro calibration here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1034208/the-official-pioneer-9g-non-elite-kuro-owners-discussion-thread/14880

If that's too much, you can at least download the AVS709 disc and do an eyeball calibration.

There are a lot of tips here and there spread out through the hundreds of pages of posts. Some of them are real gems, but unfortunately they are really spread out and hard to find. Maybe when I retire in 25 years I will have the time to go through it all and make one summary post. rolleyes.gif
post #6806 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post

Maybe when I retire in 25 years I will have the time to go through it all and make one summary post. rolleyes.gif

yes do that thanks smile.gif
post #6807 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice View Post

yes do that thanks smile.gif

Hahaha, I was actually hoping you were doing this!
post #6808 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post

Hahaha, I was actually hoping you were doing this!

i have added the most stuff here
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1507182/guide-how-to-get-the-best-out-of-your-pioneer-9g-kuro#post_24107748
but i need to update that thread as its now even more changes done to the Kuro.
voltage regulator adjustments is one of them
als0 the reset guide is new and moved to a new thread

but i agree
good information is hard to find
before a bought the kuro 2 months ago i was reading threads about it for one week smile.gif
Edited by pg_ice - 1/10/14 at 9:47am
post #6809 of 6954
Will do, thanks guys for the tips. I plan on working on the new set next weekend. smile.gif
post #6810 of 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by av7equip View Post

Aside from getting it professionally calibrated what would be the best way to do it myself with software
The only way to calibrate is with an appropriate meter and software. For best results you should enable the ISF modes and use a non-contact or temperature compensated meter because plasmas are hot. The relevant pointers as well as examples are in the FAQ. I've never done a 600 but the 500 controls are not simple cut/gains.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Pt. II