or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Building my first HT sub enclosure. Need 12" suggestions. Under $200
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Building my first HT sub enclosure. Need 12" suggestions. Under $200

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Well I am looking to build my own sub enclosure. So I'm looking for suggestions for a good low end driver. The one I have now is a Polk psw10. It's descent but wayyyyyyy overpriced. (200) and I could build a much better enclosure and have a much better driver and amp as well.

So any good 12" drivers that could have some good low end extension. Say below 20 hz? I know alot is in the enclosure. But obviously need a sub with good low end extension as well
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 View Post

Well I am looking to build my own sub enclosure. So I'm looking for suggestions for a good low end driver. The one I have now is a Polk psw10. It's descent but wayyyyyyy overpriced. (200) and I could build a much better enclosure and have a much better driver and amp as well.

So any good 12" drivers that could have some good low end extension. Say below 20 hz? I know alot is in the enclosure. But obviously need a sub with good low end extension as well

You will find your answer here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=155




Hint: when you start your thread over there you may want to include what type of alignment you're looking for: ported/sealed, what amp you're planning to use, and what kind of performance you're expecting to get out of it.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 View Post

You will find your answer here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=155




Hint: when you start your thread over there you may want to include what type of alignment you're looking for: ported/sealed, what amp you're planning to use, and what kind of performance you're expecting to get out of it.

well like I said. If possible. Getit under or capable of playing sub 20 hz. Ported or sealed I could care less. I'm open to all designs. In the car audio side of it I would like well powered sealed. But I like the boomy roll off of a ported for my movies. As for an amp. Also like car audio. I pick my sub. THEN look at amps that would match well. I'm assuming a descent 400-500 watt plate amp. Like I said tryin to keep it right around 350
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 View Post

well like I said. If possible. Getit under or capable of playing sub 20 hz. Ported or sealed I could care less. I'm open to all designs. In the car audio side of it I would like well powered sealed. But I like the boomy roll off of a ported for my movies. As for an amp. Also like car audio. I pick my sub. THEN look at amps that would match well. I'm assuming a descent 400-500 watt plate amp. Like I said tryin to keep it right around 350

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. You should start a thread in the DIY subwoofer area of AVS at the link I posted. You'll get tons more help

$350 total can be done but you won't be squeezing a 500W plate amp into that budget (just a 500W plate amp will cost you $250...). I have lots more input to give but don't want to type it up twice, start the thread over there and I'll add some more
post #5 of 8
You can get a Rythmik DS1200 for $210 or their GR Research driver for $150.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products2.html

Great blend of output, low frequency extension, and accuracy. The required cabinets aren't that large either.
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 View Post

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. You should start a thread in the DIY subwoofer area of AVS at the link I posted. You'll get tons more help

$350 total can be done but you won't be squeezing a 500W plate amp into that budget (just a 500W plate amp will cost you $250...). I have lots more input to give but don't want to type it up twice, start the thread over there and I'll add some more

Lol that's the first place I posted but have not got much. Titled something like building my first ht enclosure. Kinda the same info I have in here. Where in northern Minnesota u live?
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 View Post

Lol that's the first place I posted but have not got much. Titled something like building my first ht enclosure. Kinda the same info I have in here. Where in northern Minnesota u live?

I'll have to find that thread... I'm in the Grand Rapids area, you don't happen to be in the area as well?? If so I may have something to help get you started
post #8 of 8
Is there a reason you're only considering a 12"? Do you have size restrictions or something?

Dayton RSS390HO-4 15" $160

O Audio 500W Bash Amp $230

Yes, thats $40 more then requested, but worth it. Build a 5ft3 box (18"x18"x34", 3/4" material), with a pair of 4" x 31" ports (20hz tune). 111db at 20hz anechoic with 500W, and 0.2mm short of driver Xmax.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Building my first HT sub enclosure. Need 12" suggestions. Under $200