or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Heat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Heat - Page 2

post #31 of 562
The great Michael Mann movie,especially gunfire fighting scene in downtown,can't wait.
post #32 of 562
Heat is now available for pre-order from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Blu-ray-A...8276601&sr=1-1

I think I'm gonna jump in.

CFC
post #33 of 562
it would be awful if they used the same "master" or whatever it's called, that was used for the dvd, with the same print defects, weird color shift, etc.
post #34 of 562
also, i've always thought the DVD looked stretched vertically, everybody's faces look unnaturally skinny.
post #35 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Two words: F**k yes!


That and 7.1 DTS Master audio would be the ultimate!!!!!
post #36 of 562
...aaaaand preordered. Screw the shootout, though--I'm thinking of the armored car takedown.
post #37 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

...aaaaand preordered. Screw the shootout, though--I'm thinking of the armored car takedown.

I have learned my lession & will not pre-order, regardless of how much I want the movie. For example, if I had waited for user reviews on "Let The Right One In", I wouldn't have to double-dip only a few months later for the correct subtitle version. This applies especially with Warner - if it is a title worth getting, they will mess it up somehow.
post #38 of 562
eagerly awaiting this title!
post #39 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post

The great Michael Mann movie,especially gunfire fighting scene in downtown,can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

...aaaaand preordered. Screw the shootout, though--I'm thinking of the armored car takedown.

I don't suppose anyone's interested in this for De Niro and Pacino's acting, are they?

Steve W
post #40 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

I don't suppose anyone's interested in this for De Niro and Pacino's acting, are they?

I suppose anyone who's interested in acting by De Niro or Pacino is watching Raging Bull or Dog Day, not Heat.
post #41 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt73 View Post

I suppose anyone who's interested in acting by De Niro or Pacino is watching Raging Bull or Dog Day, not Heat.

All great films.

It just saddens me to think that this epic appears to be in so much demand because of a few well-executed action scenes. Whilst De Niro isn't on top form he's still not bad (and that's by his own standards), and Pacino is near the top of his game here, and the ensemble cast are a joy to watch.

Steve W
post #42 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

It just saddens me to think that this epic appears to be in so much demand because of a few well-executed action scenes.

While the action make this movie stand out (To be honest, its the audiomix that is the real star), people wouldnt enjoy the entire movie unless it was a really good movie.

Many times you dont think whats good in a movie, you just experience it. So while people seem to remember the action in this movie. They sure liked the entire package.

As a sidenote (that I have written before)

Dont expect to much from the PQ. The combination of anamorphic shooting and not the heavy artifical lighting(that I can remember) will not make the movie demomaterial in this regard.
post #43 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

All great films.

It just saddens me to think that this epic appears to be in so much demand because of a few well-executed action scenes.

I don't quite understand this statement. Heat is a great film, and not because of two very memorable scenes. The interplay between the Pacino and DeNiro is one of the finest I have scene on cinema. Add to that the flawed cop character, and you've got a very engaging movie.

Sure, as memorable as the armored car and bank robbery scenes are, I also find the dinner scene between DeNiro and Pacino to be equally as memorable.

This is a day one buy for me. And I'm double-dipping, too!
post #44 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt73 View Post

I suppose anyone who's interested in acting by De Niro or Pacino is watching Raging Bull or Dog Day, not Heat.

It was cool to finally see them together in a couple of scenes, since they didn't have any together in Godfather II. I can't tell if its their ego's or character's doing the acting in the diner scene .
post #45 of 562
The movie some great scenes, sure, but it is also a great film overall. In terms of heist movies, this one is right near the top.

I also think that overtime we have all realized that this is probably the last film where we got the Deniro and Pacino that we all know and love. Besides Ronin and Donnie Brasco, I dont think either of them have done anything as good as Heat since.
post #46 of 562
While the action scenes were great what sealed the deal for me was the ending. I was really pissed. Why didn't he leave the country - he had the money and the girl. Both the cop and crook were flawed characters. This movie had it all for me, great characterization and great action scenes.
post #47 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

I don't suppose anyone's interested in this for De Niro and Pacino's acting, are they?

Steve W

Personally i think the entire cast act their socks off and the movie as a whole is a modern day classic. Fabulous script with many memorable lines of dialogue and an ending which stays true to the spirit of the film.

The supporting cast are all well known actors and they all do a fabulous job and even the cameos are excellent.
post #48 of 562
This is one of mine and my wife's all time favorite movies, not only for the opening heist and bank robbery shoot-out but for the characters as well. Both Pacino and Deniro were flawed characters and the effects on their personal lives told the tale. The scene in the coffee shop was a classic showdown and had Deniro not deviated from his mantra of "walking away from anything in 30 seconds.." the outcome would have been different.
I have used the bank robbery scene repeatedly as a demo and I hope they have remastered the audio, i'm not so much concerned about the video quality, I think it was intentionally filmed grainy for effect.
post #49 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

Personally i think the entire cast act their socks off and the movie as a whole is a modern day classic. Fabulous script with many memorable lines of dialogue and an ending which stays true to the spirit of the film.

The supporting cast are all well known actors and they all do a fabulous job and even the cameos are excellent.

+1 great film can't wait must buy.
post #50 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lushious View Post

I don't quite understand this statement. Heat is a great film, and not because of two very memorable scenes. The interplay between the Pacino and DeNiro is one of the finest I have scene on cinema. Add to that the flawed cop character, and you've got a very engaging movie.

Sure, as memorable as the armored car and bank robbery scenes are, I also find the dinner scene between DeNiro and Pacino to be equally as memorable.

This is a day one buy for me. And I'm double-dipping, too!

I agree, this is first and foremost a movie of character studies. Their movations for doing the heists are so different. Mann became one of my favorite directors ever since I saw Manhunter, which IMO is a better movie than Silence of the Lambs.
post #51 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovision View Post

It was cool to finally see them together in a couple of scenes, since they didn't have any together in Godfather II. I can't tell if its their ego's or character's doing the acting in the diner scene .

They actually don't have any scenes together in this movie either. There is not a single frame where you can see them together, including when Pacino pulls him over in the car, in the diner, or the final action sequence.
post #52 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Tester View Post

They actually don't have any scenes together in this movie either. There is not a single frame where you can see them together, including when Pacino pulls him over in the car, in the diner, or the final action sequence.

Are you sure? there were a lot of separate shots in the diner, but I coulda swore there were a couple of sideshots of them at the booth.

Regardless, a definite buy for me, haven't watched it since the laserdisk.

+1 Manhunter as well, better than Silence, and Red Dragon, the remake. Brian Cox's Lecter was great.
post #53 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Tester View Post

They actually don't have any scenes together in this movie either. There is not a single frame where you can see them together, including when Pacino pulls him over in the car, in the diner, or the final action sequence.



post #54 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by babrown92 View Post




cgi
post #55 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by babrown92 View Post




I had coffee with him a half an hour ago!
post #56 of 562
Michael Mann movies aren't dumbed down for the 80% of the population that has the attention span of a fruit fly and has to have the obvious drawn out in crayon.

Heat is great on every level, characters, acting, cast, action, plot, everything.

Both DeNiro and Pacino are in top form as is everyone else.
No contrived, retarded love story so girls will like it.
No convenient wrap it all up ending.
Everyone pays in one way or another.

I can't honestly think of a movie I like better.
post #57 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by babrown92 View Post


While this publicity still was released to the press after the movie was released, that shot does not appear in the movie. The entire coffe shop scene is filmed in reverse-angle-reverse coverage, where you only see the back of one actor's head while the other is speaking.

Michael Mann insists that they were in the same room together during the filming, but there's no evidence of it on screen. If they really were together, Mann missed a prime opportunity to let the actors play off one another.

I love the movie, but I think Mann blew the staging of that scene.

The only shot in the entire movie where both actors are visible at the same time comes when Pacino pulls DeNiro over. Quite frankly, that might even be an optical composite.
post #58 of 562
Josh, tell us how you really feel!

HEAT rocks. It is tied with MANHUNTER as my favorite Michael Mann film, followed then by MOHICANS and then The INSIDER.
post #59 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Michael Mann movies aren't dumbed down for the 80% of the population that has the attention span of a fruit fly and has to have the obvious drawn out in crayon.

Heat is great on every level, characters, acting, cast, action, plot, everything.

Both DeNiro and Pacino are in top form as is everyone else.
No contrived, retarded love story so girls will like it.
No convenient wrap it all up ending.
Everyone pays in one way or another.

I can't honestly think of a movie I like better.

Excellent post, movies of this caliber are very few.
post #60 of 562
There is just two things I dont like in Heat.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

1. When they have the shootout, not a single bystander gets hit despite that the robbers are very gung ho in their firing. When you go for realism, go the entire way.

2. When the SWAT team stops Chris, they just check his ID and let him go. If this was a real case, the cops would know how the suspect looked like. A simple haircut isnt enough.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Heat