or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG xxLH40 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LG xxLH40 Owners Thread - Page 25

post #721 of 771
Got my 55LH40 today and just connected signals (external HD tuner & media player) via HDMI. Pictures do not look good at all. Rather disappointing to say the least. Even HD broadcast looks lower resolution compared to my old 37" 720p LCD. Pictures looks blurry and sometimes even with horizontal lines in edges (sort of like an interlace problem, but much worse). Facing contours look cloudy. Have not played with the setting yet, so this is factory settings. This does not look like it's because the display is much bigger. Anybody with similar experience? Thanks.
post #722 of 771
first thing, turn off tru-motion

then take a look at the settings on post 707, that should get on the right track to a great HD picture.
post #723 of 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by raakdogg View Post

Sorry everyone, I tried reading but can't find how to access the service menu for the LG 55LH40 with firmware 4.30.1

I tried the old menu menu combo trick, but no luck

Use the IR hack/universal remote to enter service menus, see http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/IR+Hack

Then if you have any video playback problems see my post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post17939517
post #724 of 771
Received my TV today. Used the settings from post #707. No lip sync problems, no dead pixels.
post #725 of 771
My new LG 55" has replaced my Philips 47" 1080 60hz TV. Picture quality is great. I like TruMotion... think it's pretty cool, though I haven't PLAYED with it. My 1080p MKV movies look SICK without even tinkering with the TV yet.

I have to see if I have lip sync issues as well... I think I noticed some with AVI, but I didn't know what was b/c of the TV...
post #726 of 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dM@n View Post

My new LG 55" has replaced my Philips 47" 1080 60hz TV. Picture quality is great. I like TruMotion... think it's pretty cool, though I haven't PLAYED with it. My 1080p MKV movies look SICK without even tinkering with the TV yet.

I have to see if I have lip sync issues as well... I think I noticed some with AVI, but I didn't know what was b/c of the TV...

Hi... do you have the 55LH40 (North American model)? If so this is interesting, older LH40 sets can't play 1080p MKV movies properly. Please let us know your firmware version. Here's how to show version info:

- Press MENU
- Move selection to OPTION but don't select it (don't press enter)
- Press FAV 7 times

thanks
G
post #727 of 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie3 View Post


Hi... do you have the 55LH40 (North American model)? If so this is interesting, older LH40 sets can't play 1080p MKV movies properly. Please let us know your firmware version. Here's how to show version info:

- Press MENU
- Move selection to OPTION but don't select it (don't press enter)
- Press FAV 7 times

thanks
G

My 55lh40 firmware is 4.52.0 but I use the component cables so I don't see any sync issues, what are MKV movies and if I have will see if it runs.
post #728 of 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Crowe View Post

My 55lh40 firmware is 4.52.0 but I use the component cables so I don't see any sync issues, what are MKV movies and if I have will see if it runs.

MKV movies are movie files with .mkv extension, usually with H264 encoding. To play movies by USB you have to enable "DivX" in the EZ ADJUST service menu. Don't do it unless you're comfortable tinkering, more info here: http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/IR+Hack

My 42LH40 with firmware 4.05.0 can barely manage standard definition MKV H264 movies, refuses to play HD ones (vertical resolution 1080 or 720). If the latest firmware fixes this it would be useful to know.
thanks
G
post #729 of 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie3 View Post


MKV movies are movie files with .mkv extension, usually with H264 encoding. To play movies by USB you have to enable "DivX" in the EZ ADJUST service menu. Don't do it unless you're comfortable tinkering, more info here: http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/IR+Hack

My 42LH40 with firmware 4.05.0 can barely manage standard definition MKV H264 movies, refuses to play HD ones (vertical resolution 1080 or 720). If the latest firmware fixes this it would be useful to know.
thanks
G

Ya, I don 't have any . Mkv files, so won't be messing around. Thanks
post #730 of 771
I'm almost certain this is a stupid question (I'm not a tech-y person), but I was inputting the CNET and HomeTheater picture settings. Is there a reason when I go into the expert control section that the color standard is set to HD and will not allow me to change it?

The CNET and HomeTheater recommend the color standard being set to HD... I don't have a HD cable/dvr box - is that why it's stuck on SD? It also won't let me change the xvYCC or Expert Pattern settings.

Thanks!
post #731 of 771
Re: my above post, I mean it is set to SD, not HD. Sorry!
post #732 of 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie3 View Post

Hi... do you have the 55LH40 (North American model)? If so this is interesting, older LH40 sets can't play 1080p MKV movies properly. Please let us know your firmware version. Here's how to show version info:

- Press MENU
- Move selection to OPTION but don't select it (don't press enter)
- Press FAV 7 times

thanks
G

So sorry on the delay, but it says epak: 4.52.0 (I'm guessing this is it?)


Need help on 3 things (in order of importance to me):
  1. HTPC Display Settings - Is there a way to make the font/resolution clearer? I'm running the 55LH40 on my HTPC (Windows 7, HD4200 onboard with latest ATI CCC/drivers). My last TV (Philips 47" 1080p 60hz) had the same issue until I went into the TV's display settings and set HDMI3 (what I used for the HTPC) to be labeled as a PC monitor... wabam it fixed my problem. This 55LH40 doesn't have anything in the display settings to do that. I've been doing my regular trial and error method and it's failed. I have 1920x1080 resolution set up, and used the Scaling options in CCC's DTV settings to fit the display to the screen perfectly. I even tried lowering and raising, and trying 1776x1000 resolution and no go. I'm hooked up with HDMI from the HTPC to HDMI3 on the TV. There's no way to set HDMI3 to "PC" setting of some sort... Am I missing something?
  2. Dynamic Brightness? When I watch a movie on my HTPC (so far only used windows media player and mkv 1080p files), when I set up CC (closed caption) the black bar's black level gets lighter (brighter) every time the captions come on. It's some sort of dynamic brightness setting so that even at the desktop if I open a window that's bright (a lot of white, like windows explorer) the screen dims automatically, and vice versa. Is there remedy to this?
  3. Lipsync - I haven't tested this, and I'm not sure the best way to, but I don't use the TV's internal speakers. I go directly to my AV receiver, but in case I need to use the TV's speakers in the future how do I test for lip sync? I don't want to find this issue in the future when I'm out of warranty.

Thanks in advance.

*Edit
Okay so after messing with this so much. the DTV menu in CCC is gone!!
post #733 of 771
Figured it all out except how to test lipsync....
post #734 of 771
1. You already figured this out I guess, but you definitely want to keep the resolution at 1920x1080. IMHO messing with scaling settings in CCC is just asking for trouble and probably to blame for the bad text. I got my PC to look awesome via HDMI to my 55LH40 by hitting the Aspect button on the remote until it was Just Scan.

2. Already figured this out too? I turned off the eco-friendly auto-dimming as it was too damn hard to see at night. No reason I should have to have my room lights on just so that my TV is bright. Electricity is cheap in ND.

3. Lip sync problems will only show up on HDMI. If you have a gaming console, set it up to send Dolby Digital (System menu on my Xbox 360). Then load up Guitar Hero or Rockband. Rockband will also have a setting in the game to turn on DD also, as it ignores the system setting. Try to play a song and notice how much you suck now. During an easy part close your eyes and try and play along with the audio; you will miss all the notes. The problem will still be there if you turn off DD, just not as bad. Using the calibration feature of the game you can get an estimate of the amount of audio lag. Mine is ~160ms with DD and ~70ms with just stereo audio (to be clear, that is stereo audio still over HDMI).

If you have a game like Halo 3, you can hear that the guns are shooting after you pull the trigger (DD on), especially with the battle rifle. When I got my receiver it was awesome how fast the guns were! Sadly a TV with decent engineering done on the audio would not have this problem.

Also interesting is if your receiver will send out the audio on HDMI and still play it through the speakers, turn your TV and receiver to about the same volume. Then do something that produces short noises, for example navigating around in the Xbox 360 menus. You will hear a definite "echo" coming from the TV speakers after the sound has already played from the receiver speakers.

With no gaming system you could try just watching a movie. With DD on I can see the problem. With no DD it is more difficult to discern. I think I see it but I am not sure. I think it would be difficult to tell if I did not know it was really a problem.

Anyways, I get more pissed with this TV every time I have to call LG tech support to get another technician to visit.
post #735 of 771
Joker, well #1 and #2 was like this:

#1 - I always use 1920x1080 - the problem was I couldn't find the scaling menu. It's stupid how ATI has re-done it. You now have to go to DESKTOP & DISPLAYS, go to the bottom to your monitor, right-click > configure. THEN you'll see the DTV menu. It was never like that and for the longest time it was its own menu, which is why I went nuts looking for it!!

#2 - My energy saver was off - I also tested all other advanced display options and none helped. I was able to find out how to set HDMI3 to "PC" by going to options and then input type. I had overlooked that. As soon as I set it to "PC", my display turned crispy clean and the dimming is totally gone!! PERFECT!!

#3 - I'm going to GUESS I don't have the issue b/c I got my TV about a month ago and when I check the version I see this: epak 4.52.0

Some other items list 4.52 also, but nothing says "firmware" so I assume 4.52 is my version.

I'll someday bring my xbox 360 down and hook up the optical to my receiver and the HDMI to my TV, and compare the receiver audio to the internal TV speaker audio. Thanks for the info!!
post #736 of 771
hey guys i wanted to mount my 55" LH40. What is a good wall mount to get for it?
post #737 of 771
just found this other calibration online from an amazon user, is it dead yet, i think it looks a little better.

thanks is it dead yet.

Picture menu:
Aspect ratio: Just Size
Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: Expert 2
Backlight: 60
Contrast: 88
Brightness: 58
H Sharpness: 60
V Sharpness: 60
Color: 50
Tint: 0

--Expert control menu
Dynamic contrast: Off
Noise reduction: Off
Gamma: Medium
Black level: Low
Real Cinema: On [grayed out]
Color Standard: HD [grayed out]
Color Gamut: Wide
Edge Enhancer: Off
xvYCC: Auto [grayed out]
OPC: Off
Expert Pattern: Off[grayed out]
Color Filter: Off

White balance: Medium
Method: 10 point IRE
Pattern: Outer
IRE: [see below]
Luminance: 137 (100 Luminance only, 90 through 10 are preset)

-- 10 point IRE calibration
IRE: [Red, Green, Blue results, respectively, for each IRE point]
100 [-8, 1, -40]
90 [-13, -5, -40]
80 [-20, -12, -40]
70 [-17, -14, -33]
60 [-17, -12, -31]
50 [-17, -13, -26]
40 [-13, -12, -19]
30 [-6, -4, -8]
20 [-6, -4, -10]
10 [2, 3, -1]

Color management system
Red color: 2
Red tint: 0
Green color: -1
Green tint: -7
Blue color: 2
Blue tint: 7
Yellow color: 0
Yellow tint: 1
Cyan color: 0
Cyan tint: 0
Magenta color: 0
Magenta tint: -2
post #738 of 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaexpert View Post

hey guys i wanted to mount my 55" LH40. What is a good wall mount to get for it?

I use this one on my 47lh40.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

It supports up to 63" and its very well made.
post #739 of 771
[quote=g0dM@n;18830735]So sorry on the delay, but it says epak: 4.52.0 (I'm guessing this is it?)

That sounds like it, thanks. So if HD MKV movies work on your LH40 it's reasonable to assume that loading firmware 4.52.0 would improve movie playback on sets like mine with older firmware. I have 4.05.0, and helped make 4.30.1 available on the web, but that version doesn't improve things related to USB video playback (as far as I know).

Anyone know of a place where North American firmware version 4.52.0 or later for LH40 can be downloaded?
thanks
G
post #740 of 771
I NEED HELP!!!
I recently had an issue with a screen from my cable provider freezing on my screen so i had to reboot the cable box. When i was reaching around to unplug the cable box i pulled the wrong plug and unplugged my TV. Now i have lost all my regular settings that i was happy with and cannot get the picture to look the same ( not even close)
I have tried about 7 or 8 different settings that people have suggested but i find none of the colors to be what they should look like.
I can't seem to bring out any red on the picture, and too much green and yellow.


ANY IDEAS?
post #741 of 771
Hi all, I was wondering if someone could help me out here.

I bought the 32LH40 model in February and hooked up my PS3 using HDMI and it has worked perfectly until this week.

When I turned it on yesterday (along with my PS3) I got a "no signal" from the tv. I tried the other 3 ports with the same result. I tried a different hdmi cable this morning and still, the same thing.

I tested the composite connection and that worked fine, the cable input works fine as well.

I've ruled out a bad HDMI port on the PS3 side as I connected it to my PC monitor using an HDMI->DVI adapter

I was on vacation last week, but it worked fine before that. I can't understand what could have happened between that time.

Is there a way to do a factory reset on the TV or are there any tricks I can try to get this working? I'm a little bummed to have had this TV for only 6 months and have this problem.

Thanks for any help!
post #742 of 771
I'm looking for an answer to a little bit of an issue i'm having...lol or mayabe not...

I have just purchased the 55lh40 it has firmware ver. 4.52

my problem is.... 90% of movies and television shows seem to look like they were shot documentary style.... almost like a soap opera kinda

im not sure if it's just my lack of having a decent t.v. until now... or is there a setting i have wrong

any input would be appreciated
post #743 of 771
i have the 32lh40, can anyone tell me how to unlock my usb so i can play videos? i'm looking to buy a remote to do it.
post #744 of 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzyahazz View Post

I'm looking for an answer to a little bit of an issue i'm having...lol or mayabe not...

I have just purchased the 55lh40 it has firmware ver. 4.52

my problem is.... 90% of movies and television shows seem to look like they were shot documentary style.... almost like a soap opera kinda

im not sure if it's just my lack of having a decent t.v. until now... or is there a setting i have wrong

any input would be appreciated

Turn TrueMotion off
post #745 of 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyBear View Post

i have the 32lh40, can anyone tell me how to unlock my usb so i can play videos? i'm looking to buy a remote to do it.

Can't play video via the USB on the XXLH40, only audio and photos. Need the new XXLD550 or better to do that.
post #746 of 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvam14 View Post

Hi all, I was wondering if someone could help me out here.

I bought the 32LH40 model in February and hooked up my PS3 using HDMI and it has worked perfectly until this week.

When I turned it on yesterday (along with my PS3) I got a "no signal" from the tv. I tried the other 3 ports with the same result. I tried a different hdmi cable this morning and still, the same thing.

I tested the composite connection and that worked fine, the cable input works fine as well.

I've ruled out a bad HDMI port on the PS3 side as I connected it to my PC monitor using an HDMI->DVI adapter

I was on vacation last week, but it worked fine before that. I can't understand what could have happened between that time.

Is there a way to do a factory reset on the TV or are there any tricks I can try to get this working? I'm a little bummed to have had this TV for only 6 months and have this problem.

Thanks for any help!

I got a similar problem with my PS3 + 42LH40. My problem is a bit different than yours. The TV receives signal from the PS3 without any problem when I first turn on the PS3. However, after I play and quit any game, the TV no longer receives signal from the PS3. I just have this problem recently. It works perfectly fine with PS3 before. This is very weird.
post #747 of 771
deleted
post #748 of 771
Can someone do me a favor? Play a bluray and have the player output 23.976. Press INFO on the tv remote. Does it say 23.976 or 24?
post #749 of 771
My 42LH50 started showing a 6 inches line (1 pixel thickness) starting from bottom in middle of the screen. LG replaced the panel. They replaced with same panel. Instead of China, it is made in Korea. Is this problem common for LG's or LCD's. I am thinking of getting extended warranty if possible.
post #750 of 771
does anyone know where to get the latest firmware for LG tv's , sorry this is my first time posting here. It seems to me that the firmware cant be post here but maybe linked to. I own a 47lh40 and its got the 4.31 firmware on it now. still having lipsync issues. The LG tech came out and upgraded the firmware to 4.31 but that didnt fix anything. I would hate to call them back out again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG xxLH40 Owners Thread