Originally Posted by Nathan_R
Would you mind sharing your 720p preset info with me? I haven't had much luck finding a really good handbrake setting yet in my experimentation.
1. Using HandBrake version SVN2592. Supposedly this has had some nice enhancements for high res sources...
2. Set the 1080P MKV file as the source...
3. Select the AppleTV preset (the one with SVN2592), that means:
a. Video Code H.264 (x264)
b. Constant Quality 60.78%
c. Make sure Large File Size is selected
4. Change Framerate (FPS) to 24.
5. For the Picture Settings (moved to the top area with this version of HandBrake), I change anamorphic to none, leave "Keep Aspect Ratio" checked, and then adjust the width to 1280 pixels. I've always left the cropping to Automatic - and it seems to work - although when I try to calculate it manually it doesn't seem like the numbers they come up with ought to work.
6. Since my target is an AppleTV, Track 1 is set to AAC (Audio Codec) and Dolby Pro Logic II (Mixdown). Samplerate is 48kHz, and Bitrate is 160 kbps. Track 2 is set for AC3 Passthru (Audio Codec) and AC3 Passthru(Mixdown).
7. I never touch anything on the Subtitles (none), Advanced, or Chapters (create chapter markers) configuration pages.
Edit: I've had one encode with these settings (Hotel for Dogs) that stuttered badly/froze periodically on the AppleTV. I'm in the process of completing some test encodes with different settings, and I'll post the results when I'm done...