or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JTR speaker thread - Page 340

post #10171 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

I doubt these uses the same driver, but it's from JBL.. do you think they'll work for this purpose?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-JRX118S-18-Compact-Subwoofer-/130955717499

Seems to have all the right specs (can be used for mid-bass module)

Found better ones:

The MRX 518

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-MRX518S-2000W-18-High-Power-Compact-Bass-Reflex-Pro-Audio-Subwoofer-/360726902576?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speakers_Monitors&hash=item53fcffb730

But of course the MRX 218s up the ante (Imagine a couple of these beasts for Mid Bass duty 40-120 hz):

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=54

BTW: What's the difference between the 2042 and the 2044 (which these uses)
Edited by coolgeek - 9/17/13 at 8:44pm
post #10172 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

No not really, it works great with 2. I have 2 x 2242H's as my Noesis stands, it was one of the best things I did for my HT, awesome midbass. I run them from 130hz to 60hz and the Noesis take it from 130hz. The midbass is much better than what the noesis can do on their own but I should hope so at the cost of the 2242h drivers. I got a smoking good deal on mine but new they are $900 each....

though personally, I run my 2242's off the second sub channel of my 80.3 and the inuke 6000 takes care of the EQ.
I tried them off of the left and right channels but It was REALLY tough to get them sounding decent with the Noesis at the same time with all drivers on. Using the second sub output completely takes away the lengthy process of EQ as trying to split a L & R channel.

Good possibility that I will end up doing the same, but I will still experiment with running them off the mains as stereo subs, using double bass so that LFE is also fed to these.
Reply
Reply
post #10173 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Is this one of those 5% improvements over the standard 212HTs or is it a bigger improvement?

Any thoughts on these used ones on eBay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-2242H-HPL-18-woofer-8-ohms-/281133460776

IMO, it's a 100% improvement over what the Noesis can do but I have the sealed version. I had the ported version of the T12 and they didnt have nearly enough for me either, so I got the sealed versions of the Noesis figuring no matter what, I'd be getting some sort of midbass module and had planned from day one to have the 2242H's as the stands.
The $300 is what I paid for my 2242's but beware of non-jbl recones, the real JBL recones have a redish-orange color on the inside of the driver. The ones I got were re-coned by JBL.
post #10174 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Found better ones:

The MRX 518

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-MRX518S-2000W-18-High-Power-Compact-Bass-Reflex-Pro-Audio-Subwoofer-/360726902576?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speakers_Monitors&hash=item53fcffb730

But of course the MRX 218s up the ante (Imagine a couple of these beasts for Mid Bass duty 40-120 hz):

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=54

BTW: What's the difference between the 2042 and the 2044 (which these uses)

I don't know much about JBL's drivers other than the 2242 is pretty much the best one they have. The others I'm sure are still very good, JBL pro's stuff is all well made. Any of those options you picked would work fine.
post #10175 of 18754
So why would you buy the Noesis if its 12inch mid bass woofers are not enough? It seems like they would provide all the mid bass you need right? Perhaps I am trying to understand why spend 2200 on one speaker if it doesn't do what you want. I see the approach of crossing them at 130hz to the mids bass then down to the subs. Is it a particular sonic signature you are after since we have been hearing about these Noesis playing +15 past reference?
post #10176 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

So why would you buy the Noesis if its 12inch mid bass woofers are not enough? It seems like they would provide all the mid bass you need right? Perhaps I am trying to understand why spend 2200 on one speaker if it doesn't do what you want. I see the approach of crossing them at 130hz to the mids bass then down to the subs. Is it a particular sonic signature you are after since we have been hearing about these Noesis playing +15 past reference?

Great Question...

Ok, here's my attempt at answering it..

Before I had the 212s, I never knew what Mid-Bass is... I had Hi-Fi speakers and Subwoofers... they sound 'loud, and deep'...

Once I have my 212s.. suddenly the world changed... suddenly, you get 'kicked in the chest'... for gun shots, explosions, etc... before they are just 'loud, rumbling'... the difference is between hearing music from your home, and from the discos, where the drums really kicks you..

But once you get Mid Bass, you are now addicted to it.. it's never enough.. you want MORE..

I think the whole 'scare the pants out of you' experience in a great cinema experience is mainly due to mid bass (not deep bass)... so, if a thunderclap suddenly sounds, and it beats you silly,...

And i think 12 inch is just not enough...

Don't get me wrong.. .the 212s have as much mid-bass as you can get out of a 12 inch drivers..

BTW: I bought the Noesis not just for their mid bass.. but more for their dynamics that goes all the way up beyond 20Khz... also, for their sound quality... it's harder to 'add great sound', but easily to 'add more mid bass and bass'...

I think eventually i'll end up with 1 OS doing the low bass, and a couple of mid-bass modules (maybe 50-120hz), leaving the OS for 50hz and below...

Just like, why get mutilple 18s for subs, when you can get 12 inch subs?
post #10177 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Great Question...

Ok, here's my attempt at answering it..

Before I had the 212s, I never knew what Mid-Bass is... I had Hi-Fi speakers and Subwoofers... they sound 'loud, and deep'...

Once I have my 212s.. suddenly the world changed... suddenly, you get 'kicked in the chest'... for gun shots, explosions, etc... before they are just 'loud, rumbling'... the difference is between hearing music from your home, and from the discos, where the drums really kicks you..

But once you get Mid Bass, you are now addicted to it.. it's never enough.. you want MORE..

I think the whole 'scare the pants out of you' experience in a great cinema experience is mainly due to mid bass (not deep bass)... so, if a thunderclap suddenly sounds, and it beats you silly,...

And i think 12 inch is just not enough...

Don't get me wrong.. .the 212s have as much mid-bass as you can get out of a 12 inch drivers..

BTW: I bought the Noesis not just for their mid bass.. but more for their dynamics that goes all the way up beyond 20Khz... also, for their sound quality... it's harder to 'add great sound', but easily to 'add more mid bass and bass'...

I think eventually i'll end up with 1 OS doing the low bass, and a couple of mid-bass modules (maybe 50-120hz), leaving the OS for 50hz and below...

Just like, why get mutilple 18s for subs, when you can get 12 inch subs?

Well subs I think are a little different of a story because when you get low into the infrasonic you need massive displacement to play reference levels. Mid bass doesn't take massive excursion. But I see what you are saying. I wanted home audio because I went to a concert last year and became obsessed with the kick drum that was so powerful, clean but it literally moved through your body and you had a physical relationship with the bass! Now here I am saving for 212 Noesis and a couple S2's or something similar. I guess like N8dogg has the mid bass as stands would work great. But one thing though. Wouldn't you want to crossover at 80hz the lowest? Wouldn't you want your subwoofers to play 60-80hz over some mid bass modules?
post #10178 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

So why would you buy the Noesis if its 12inch mid bass woofers are not enough? It seems like they would provide all the mid bass you need right? Perhaps I am trying to understand why spend 2200 on one speaker if it doesn't do what you want. I see the approach of crossing them at 130hz to the mids bass then down to the subs. Is it a particular sonic signature you are after since we have been hearing about these Noesis playing +15 past reference?

It does do what I want, it just needs some help lol. No main speakers I've ever heard outside of giant pro stuff can do what my Noesis and 2242's can do. Like coolgeek said, it's an addiction. For me as well, I'm a bass head, I want smash me in the face bass, I have plenty with all my subs but thats only a small part of the experience. Sure I could have done a DIY build and made exactly what I want but in my current house, huge mains won't work, the Noesis is a great option and sound amazing. The lack of Midbass is only IMO, in the region I have the 2242's running, theres still 130hz to 24kz that the Noesis excell at.
post #10179 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

It does do what I want, it just needs some help lol. No main speakers I've ever heard outside of giant pro stuff can do what my Noesis and 2242's can do. Like coolgeek said, it's an addiction. For me as well, I'm a bass head, I want smash me in the face bass, I have plenty with all my subs but thats only a small part of the experience. Sure I could have done a DIY build and made exactly what I want but in my current house, huge mains won't work, the Noesis is a great option and sound amazing. The lack of Midbass is only IMO, in the region I have the 2242's running, theres still 130hz to 24kz that the Noesis excell at.

No I love bass too and I have yet to hear about these dynamics of a setup of my going on a year into this hobby. I want smack me in the face bass too! Heck a couple DIY mid bass's wouldn't be too expensive either...
post #10180 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Well subs I think are a little different of a story because when you get low into the infrasonic you need massive displacement to play reference levels. Mid bass doesn't take massive excursion. But I see what you are saying. I wanted home audio because I went to a concert last year and became obsessed with the kick drum that was so powerful, clean but it literally moved through your body and you had a physical relationship with the bass! Now here I am saving for 212 Noesis and a couple S2's or something similar. I guess like N8dogg has the mid bass as stands would work great. But one thing though. Wouldn't you want to crossover at 80hz the lowest? Wouldn't you want your subwoofers to play 60-80hz over some mid bass modules?

My subs still do play up to 80hz. I've got 2 sub outputs and both are independent of each other. the midbass modules play to 60hz and the sub overlap to 80hz as well. It's like a well oiled machine!!
post #10181 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

No I love bass too and I have yet to hear about these dynamics of a setup of my going on a year into this hobby. I want smack me in the face bass too! Heck a couple DIY mid bass's wouldn't be too expensive either...

That was exactly my thinking biggrin.gif Mine were around $700 for both.... The stands would have been $450 with shipping.... for an extra $250, I got 2 stands with 2 kickass 18" in them instead! cool.gif
post #10182 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

My subs still do play up to 80hz. I've got 2 sub outputs and both are independent of each other. the midbass modules play to 60hz and the sub overlap to 80hz as well. It's like a well oiled machine!!

Hmmm, you got me thinking now! But first I must start with some 212's and a couple subs..................
post #10183 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Hmmm, you got me thinking now! But first I must start with some 212's and a couple subs..................

Dammit! I haven't even received my 212s yet and now he's got me thinking too. smile.gif
post #10184 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Dammit! I haven't even received my 212s yet and now he's got me thinking too. smile.gif

It would all be part of the fun evolution of your system. Getting some badass 212 Noesis and a couple JTR subs and having your jaw hit the floor in amazement. Then get some JTR surrounds and have it happen again. Then just keep evolving until you are completely satisfied. smile.gif.
post #10185 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Well subs I think are a little different of a story because when you get low into the infrasonic you need massive displacement to play reference levels. Mid bass doesn't take massive excursion. But I see what you are saying. I wanted home audio because I went to a concert last year and became obsessed with the kick drum that was so powerful, clean but it literally moved through your body and you had a physical relationship with the bass! Now here I am saving for 212 Noesis and a couple S2's or something similar. I guess like N8dogg has the mid bass as stands would work great. But one thing though. Wouldn't you want to crossover at 80hz the lowest? Wouldn't you want your subwoofers to play 60-80hz over some mid bass modules?

I'll still crossover my OS at 80. But like N8DOGG said, the mid bass is for 60-130 or so. Check out HSU's explanation of why you need mid bass. People used to split the high vs low (sattelite subwoofer systems), but now, it seems splitting the lows into mid/low is even better... both uses different type drivers.. if you want down low, you need heavy drivers.. but higher up, heavy drivers are 'slow', you don't get the "shaolin open hand strike" in the face speed...

BTW: It's going to be very difficult to get another speaker that sounds as good as the Noesis at 130hz up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

It does do what I want, it just needs some help lol. No main speakers I've ever heard outside of giant pro stuff can do what my Noesis and 2242's can do. Like coolgeek said, it's an addiction. For me as well, I'm a bass head, I want smash me in the face bass, I have plenty with all my subs but thats only a small part of the experience. Sure I could have done a DIY build and made exactly what I want but in my current house, huge mains won't work, the Noesis is a great option and sound amazing. The lack of Midbass is only IMO, in the region I have the 2242's running, theres still 130hz to 24kz that the Noesis excell at.

That's a great deal indeed. Even cheaper than Clone Speakers...
post #10186 of 18754
So what are some other great mid bass drivers besides the 2242. Looks quite spendy! Except for those $300 on eBay which causes a red flag in the mind to pop up.
post #10187 of 18754
Actually, I was reading in N8Doggs build thread for the 2242s that the good deal he got was actually from the same company (Solo Montreal) that is selling them for $300 now on eBay. So maybe not too concerning.
Edited by dgage - 9/18/13 at 12:17am
post #10188 of 18754
Men you all may want to hear how muck midbass the Noesis 212 HT and LP actually have before deciding to add more. They put out enough midbass to cure a serious bass Junkie.smile.gif
N8tdogg is a Special Case and Not the Norm. eek.gif

DVRed Sons of Anarchy last night. The sound of a motorcycle revving up on the T12s is just awesome.
Chris
post #10189 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

Men you all may want to hear how muck midbass the Noesis 212 HT and LP actually have before deciding to add more. They put out enough midbass to cure a serious bass Junkie.smile.gif
N8tdogg is a Special Case and Not the Norm. eek.gif

DVRed Sons of Anarchy last night. The sound of a motorcycle revving up on the T12s is just awesome.
Chris

A special case, nice! smile.gif
post #10190 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Actually, I was reading in N8Doggs build thread for the 2242s that the good deal he got was actually from the same company (Solo Montreal) that is selling them for $300 now on eBay. So maybe not too concerning.

Well if someone was going to buy some then that would be the deal!
post #10191 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

It does do what I want, it just needs some help lol. No main speakers I've ever heard outside of giant pro stuff can do what my Noesis and 2242's can do. Like coolgeek said, it's an addiction. For me as well, I'm a bass head, I want smash me in the face bass, I have plenty with all my subs but thats only a small part of the experience. Sure I could have done a DIY build and made exactly what I want but in my current house, huge mains won't work, the Noesis is a great option and sound amazing. The lack of Midbass is only IMO, in the region I have the 2242's running, theres still 130hz to 24kz that the Noesis excell at.

Same problem. I did not have room for something like JBL's Cinema line of speakers and I wanted higher fidelity. With my current speakers and the mid bass modules, I will get what I am wanting, a speaker that has the clarity, dynamics and also has the mid bass slam of a JBL cinema speaker. As far as crossover points and slopes, with the 10x10HD, I can do what ever I want with my front three, subs or mid bass modules.
Reply
Reply
post #10192 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

That was exactly my thinking biggrin.gif Mine were around $700 for both.... The stands would have been $450 with shipping.... for an extra $250, I got 2 stands with 2 kickass 18" in them instead! cool.gif

I assume that is not counting the amp? I will have a $1,000 in mine, counting the iNuke 6000DSP. Could have gotten by with the iNuke 6000 (without DSP), but decided to get it in case I had a problem with my MiniDSP10x10HD. That way I have backup DSP if ever needed.
Reply
Reply
post #10193 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

So what are some other great mid bass drivers besides the 2242. Looks quite spendy! Except for those $300 on eBay which causes a red flag in the mind to pop up.

Acoustic Elegance TD18H+: http://aespeakers.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=71&osCsid=pjas8kc7i50isophd8g5r4uue1
If I was in Canada, I would probably gone with the Ebay 2242H's.
Reply
Reply
post #10194 of 18754
CoolGeek
Is your OS hooked up and running yet?

When everything is hooked up you will not be missing anything in the bass department.
Those HSUs with the 212s is like riding around in a BMW with 4 donuts for tires. It may get you there but its not a smooth ride.
I will be surprised if its not a night and day effect once all your equipment is working together effortlessly.
just 2 cents
Chris
Edited by countryWV - 9/18/13 at 6:37am
post #10195 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Okay so I posted this question in the OS thread from the Sub section but honestly it always seems that this JTR thread in the only one that really gets feed back from the guys who would know best. Sorry if any of you guys feel that this is a no no because this is the JTR speaker thread, but here's a question I posted in the OS thread and was really looking to get some feed from the JTR expects that hangout here.
So any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

"So I thought I'd post a question for you OS experts, I'm really thinking about getting an OS ULF to put behind the front stage/false wall I'm building in my theatre room but wanted to know how hard it would be to try to integrate my dual XS30's to work with the OS.

Man thinking was the OS up front and then place my XS30's near field between my two rows of seats. But I've read in a few posts about it maybe being difficult to get the two different designs to get along."
You can make this work. It is hard to give exact details on what to expect but if done correctly it will sound great.
If you do not like it you could sell the XS30s fairly easy.smile.gif
Chris
post #10196 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

Men you all may want to hear how muck midbass the Noesis 212 HT and LP actually have before deciding to add more. They put out enough midbass to cure a serious bass Junkie.smile.gif
N8tdogg is a Special Case and Not the Norm. eek.gif

DVRed Sons of Anarchy last night. The sound of a motorcycle revving up on the T12s is just awesome.
Chris

+1. Hopefully most understand this is really more "preference' than "reference". One could get the impression that the Noesis has some deficiency that needs to be corrected. That would be the wrong impression to take away here.
post #10197 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

CoolGeek
Is your OS hooked up and running yet?

When everything is hooked up you will not be missing anything in the bass department.
Those HSUs with the 212s is like riding around in a BMW with 4 donuts for tires. It may get you there but its not a smooth ride.
I will be surprised if its not a night and day effect once all your equipment is working together effortlessly.
just 2 cents
Chris

I agree, get what you have, up and running before making any changes.
Reply
Reply
post #10198 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

+1. Hopefully most understand this is really more "preference' than "reference". One could get the impression that the Noesis has some deficiency that needs to be corrected. That would be the wrong impression to take away here.

The transient response from an 18" 2242H will be better than that provided by the 12" Eminence driver in the Noesis. It will also be better that my TD12M, which is one of the better 12" drivers on the market. That is the whole reason to go with these. To me, the only drivers that have provided the same mid bass as live, are the large format drivers like the 2242H and TD18H.
Reply
Reply
post #10199 of 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

+1. Hopefully most understand this is really more "preference' than "reference". One could get the impression that the Noesis has some deficiency that needs to be corrected. That would be the wrong impression to take away here.
Just to add to this a little.

Saying the 212 or T12 does not have enough midbass is like saying that hell is not Hot but rather Lukewarm.
Mabey the devil and his minions think this but the rest of us know its on fire and fire is Hot. biggrin.gifsmile.gif

Combining the proper subwoofer with all JTR speakers is the key factor. Do this right and midbass will not be a concern.
There will always be the ones that fall under "Its not enough it never is." Some enjoy tinkering with the equipment as much as listening to it.
Even for these individuals the Noesis 212 is a great place to start.cool.gif

trying to give my simple minded perspective.
Chris
Edited by countryWV - 9/18/13 at 7:33am
post #10200 of 18754
makes me think the 212hts i have are lacking, then again the midbass on my previous yorkvilles were pretty good, being there were a pair of 15" woofers.
my subs are a few years old, but hopefully my pair of danley dts-10s can keep up with my noesis.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread