or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JTR speaker thread - Page 364

post #10891 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Thanks again for demoing your gear - and sharing your impressions. I liked the Pendragons, and I'm glad you are happy with your purchase! I'd place them in the top 10 speakers of everything I've heard - perhaps top five - but I'd have to sit down and really figure that out - suffice to say they are top shelf and I think the rave reviews by the owners are warranted.

I'm still hoping to persuade you to bring the two towers to the KC speaker meet in the park! We'll wrap those babies in 10 blankets as cushion if we need to, and I can do pick up and delivery in my truck with the bed cover - so very LOW risk in transporting. The community would love to hear them. You'd be 100% in charge of volume and the group of guys coming are a solid group of enthusiasts with utmost respect for other people's gear. No pressure --- well maybe a little bit. tongue.gif Either way - I hope you can attend and meet some of the local gang.

Thank you for bringing up your 228's. It's always nice to be able to listen to another speaker in the same room on the same setup to get a much better idea of how much better, worse or the same they are to what you are currently using.
I checked my work schedule and it looks like it's open the day of the speaker meet, if you are able to do the transport of the Pendragons I think it would be good to get them in the mix. We can PM as its gets closer to the date to determine the best way to do it.
post #10892 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post



Ahh, well I'm not sure actually. Ran Audyssey and just left it. I thought the volume on the sub would just handle that.

Yea hot means you manually go into the AVR and turn up the sub. Some usually do like 3-6db. Some crazy 10db. But if you left it after audyssey you are flat/even. Townhouse, ok. I feel better about my duals at my new rental house
post #10893 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Just a heads up, there is a guy selling a Sunfire amp on the Emotiva forums : http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/32819/sunfire-cinema-grand-channel-amplifier?page=1&scrollTo=570837

You don't have to even leave this site to find one for sale at the moment...Just sayin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post



Ahh, well I'm not sure actually. Ran Audyssey and just left it. I thought the volume on the sub would just handle that.

It should have. Odds are you are running flat and they are getting some residual through the walls still. Do you have dynamic EQ or something of the like on?
post #10894 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Odds are you are running flat and they are getting some residual through the walls still.

They're dual Submersives! What did you expect would happen to your neighbors JLPowell84? HAHA. Nice!

I'd recommend turning it to +10 and give them a taste of what it could be like if they don't leave you alone for having it flat. smile.gif

Actually, scratch that, I don't like fighting with neighbors as it isn't worth it. My neighbor's dog barks at us any time we come out of our house...but that is a different story filled with frustration.
post #10895 of 18374
Well I landed a unique rental. It's 6 miles out of town (Eugene, OR). Nice ranch style property with barns, utility shops, and a horse arena. We rented their renovated guest house. It's a little bit away, not extra far, and the live on the opposite side of their house as opposed to the side facing us. Grandma lives on our side but I suspect it will be fine. I did jack it to plus +12 db on the 2 Submersives and played the song "Sail," by Awolnation. Damn! It hits super hard! They didn't even break a sweat or breaker (both on a 15amp for testing before I move them out this week).

The red circle is our guest house rental. I know it looks small to theirs. Theirs is HUGE and we don't have a garage, all kitchen, living, bath, laundry room, and bathroom. So I think my subs will be ok I hope!
post #10896 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Thanks for the impressions. I own the 212HT's but, unfortunately, have never heard the 228's or TP's. I've bought entirely into the modern bass management dogma, so full range is irrelevant to me. It appears though that this Eric character has built a nice speaker. Kudos.

On another note, I just spent several hours exploring a friend's very extensive live jazz collection and all I can say is - WOW. This system is simply world class reference. With the volume set to approximately -2 the phenomenal dynamics and headroom provided for a set-it-and-forget-it volume control. It was "at the show live" levels. Smoooooth, detailed and controlled. Ultra low distortion. Impactful, caressing. Whatever the music demanded, the speaker delivered so effortlessly they just disappeared. I had a perma-grin. I find these 212's so involving, I literally wanted to get up and dance in my living room. My buddy turned to me at one point and said he felt exactly like he was at the show, live. I swear the stage was right there! I called for the waitress at one point and we both laughed. Give me food, water, and an income(and occasional conjugal visits) and I think I could listen to these speakers for weeks at a time - seriously. I have to watch it though, my ears are ringing slightly. These speakers demand respect for that volume control. Its so easy to go too loud.

Jeff, thank-you for bringing these speakers into my world!

All the usual caveats apply...YMMV, etc., etc.

Yeah, like a really nice fast car, it is tempting to use that power for the bad ... but it feels so good. biggrin.gif

After a year now, I have become accustomed to the sound and probably take it for granted. It is good to hear fresh perspectives to remind me how good I've got it. That's part of the fun of demoing the system to other hobbyists. Thanks for the reminder Doc! cool.gif
post #10897 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

They're dual Submersives! What did you expect would happen to your neighbors JLPowell84? HAHA. Nice!

I'd recommend turning it to +10 and give them a taste of what it could be like if they don't leave you alone for having it flat. smile.gif

Actually, scratch that, I don't like fighting with neighbors as it isn't worth it. My neighbor's dog barks at us any time we come out of our house...but that is a different story filled with frustration.

Exactly why when I buy home it will not be in the middle of town or suburbia! Out in the country all the way!
post #10898 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Exactly why when I buy home it will not be in the middle of town or suburbia! Out in the country all the way!

Unless your Popalock or Japandave or similar, there should be no need to be off the reservation. smile.gif. Soundproofing is your friend. smile.gif
post #10899 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Unless your Popalock or Japandave or similar, there should be no need to be off the reservation. smile.gif. Soundproofing is your friend. smile.gif

Or Notynt. He has 8 of the LMS 5400's!
post #10900 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

It should have. Odds are you are running flat and they are getting some residual through the walls still. Do you have dynamic EQ or something of the like on?

I turned dynamic eq off. Should I leave it on?
post #10901 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post

I turned dynamic eq off. Should I leave it on?

IMO unless you are playing reference then yes. It's a sliding scale mathematical formula that boosts lower frequencies when the volume is not as loud. Say -20 then bass will seem underwhelming hence the original idea behind audyssey dynamic EQ. But if it was already too much with it off for your neighbors then Yikes!
post #10902 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post

I turned dynamic eq off. Should I leave it on?

as jl suggested, turning it off and listening below reference will be underwhelming but might be necessary to not piss off the neighbors. just toggle it on and off with the AVR at around -20 and you will easily be able to tell a difference in the bass response.
post #10903 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

as jl suggested, turning it off and listening below reference will be underwhelming but might be necessary to not piss off the neighbors. just toggle it on and off with the AVR at around -20 and you will easily be able to tell a difference in the bass response.

OK cool, thanks for the suggestions guy's. I'll have to play around with it a bit. Guess I'm trying to make sure nobody in the vicinity is underwhelmed lol.
post #10904 of 18374
I'm a bass head though so don't use me as the plum line. I couldn't imagine ever running my LFE flat smile.gif
post #10905 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Or Notynt. He has 8 of the LMS 5400's!

I'll start and probably end with 3. 6 would be the max if I got bit by one of you were-sub-wolves. So I think I'll just concede to notynt right now. Yes. That would be best for my wallet, neighborhood peace, and structural integrity of my house. smile.gif
post #10906 of 18374
Yes your 3 will be quite amazing!
post #10907 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Very nice review Doc! Made me laugh smile.gif

Good friends + good speakers + good beer = good times! Although my friend did comment that the moment really deserved a scotch on the rocks. Couldn't argue with that. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by staaled View Post

biggrin.gif.
Last week I had to decide between a half drizzled vacation in Spain or spend the week @ home with some very nice but chilly sunny weather.
Guess what.......tongue.gif

Hey, you can see Spain anytime...wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Yeah, like a really nice fast car, it is tempting to use that power for the bad ... but it feels so good. biggrin.gif

After a year now, I have become accustomed to the sound and probably take it for granted. It is good to hear fresh perspectives to remind me how good I've got it. That's part of the fun of demoing the system to other hobbyists. Thanks for the reminder Doc! cool.gif

Yessir, I'm here to keep it real! The 212's are such a large step up, particularly with music, from my prior speakers. The difference is notable with all content, even regular TV. And I'll even give you the obligatory(and meaningless and overused), "even my wife noticed the difference"biggrin.gif

So glad I finally pulled the trigger. Just waiting on my miniDSp to get here so I tune up those dual S2's.
post #10908 of 18374
Hey guys a bit off topic but I've been enjoying reading everyone's reviews/impressions of these JTR Noesis speakers. So much so that I'd really like to hear (experience) them in person. So I was wondering if there was a Noesis owner in the Chicagoland area who wouldn't mind a fellow AVS member demoing their setup? I could bring snacks!
post #10909 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjahifi View Post

Hey guys a bit off topic but I've been enjoying reading everyone's reviews/impressions of these JTR Noesis speakers. So much so that I'd really like to hear (experience) them in person. So I was wondering if there was a Noesis owner in the Chicagoland area who wouldn't mind a fellow AVS member demoing their setup? I could bring snacks!

Can you say field trip? Drive to Wisconsin and visit the source. Jeff has a demo room and would accommodate you. The other option (barring an owner volunteer) is to talk him into bringing a Noesis pair to you. He is in the Chicago area quite often (family,friends etc) and I bet he would do this if you asked.

Good Luck smile.gif
post #10910 of 18374
RMK, thanks for the suggestion. I looked it up and I think it would take about 3 hrs to get out to JTR HQ. I emailed Jeff and asked if this is an option. Hopefully I hear back soon.
post #10911 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjahifi View Post

RMK, thanks for the suggestion. I looked it up and I think it would take about 3 hrs to get out to JTR HQ. I emailed Jeff and asked if this is an option. Hopefully I hear back soon.

Bring money with you...you're going to want to go home with them wink.gifsmile.gif
post #10912 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjahifi View Post

RMK, thanks for the suggestion. I looked it up and I think it would take about 3 hrs to get out to JTR HQ. I emailed Jeff and asked if this is an option. Hopefully I hear back soon.

Don't expect a timely return email, just give him a call you'll reach him quicker.
post #10913 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjahifi View Post

RMK, thanks for the suggestion. I looked it up and I think it would take about 3 hrs to get out to JTR HQ. I emailed Jeff and asked if this is an option. Hopefully I hear back soon.

Three hours away is all what a luxury! The closest Noesis to me is about seven hours in both directions north and south!
post #10914 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Three hours away is all what a luxury! The closest Noesis to me is about seven hours in both directions north and south!

Whats wrong with you dude. Weren't you just about half way there (North) picking up those little boom boxes of yours? That is some bad planning ... tongue.gifwink.gif
post #10915 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post


On another note, I just spent several hours exploring a friend's very extensive live jazz collection and all I can say is - WOW. This system is simply world class reference. With the volume set to approximately -2 the phenomenal dynamics and headroom provided for a set-it-and-forget-it volume control. It was "at the show live" levels. Smoooooth, detailed and controlled. Ultra low distortion. Impactful, caressing. Whatever the music demanded, the speaker delivered so effortlessly they just disappeared. I had a perma-grin. I find these 212's so involving, I literally wanted to get up and dance in my living room. My buddy turned to me at one point and said he felt exactly like he was at the show, live. I swear the stage was right there! I called for the waitress at one point and we both laughed. Give me food, water, and an income(and occasional conjugal visits) and I think I could listen to these speakers for weeks at a time - seriously. I have to watch it though, my ears are ringing slightly. These speakers demand respect for that volume control. Its so easy to go too loud.


Great explanation of how these speakers perform. This describes my experience with these speakers pretty much exactly but you are better with words than I am. It never gets old either, at least it hasn't for me since last November.
post #10916 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Whats wrong with you dude. Weren't you just about half way there (North) picking up those little boom boxes of yours? That is some bad planning ... tongue.gifwink.gif

Lol, boom boxes, I like it. Yes it was 7.5 in the SUV that day. Sunday, had to be back the next day for work, had to cancel a couple things that Sunday. But I had to make it happen for the deal I got. I guess without even hearing the Noesis I am sold. With that said I don't feel the pressing need to absolutely have to hear them before I buy them. I would definitely like to and perhaps a trip to California after the turn of the year for the fiancé and I will make that come true smile.gif
post #10917 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Lol, boom boxes, I like it. Yes it was 7.5 in the SUV that day. Sunday, had to be back the next day for work, had to cancel a couple things that Sunday. But I had to make it happen for the deal I got. I guess without even hearing the Noesis I am sold. With that said I don't feel the pressing need to absolutely have to hear them before I buy them. I would definitely like to and perhaps a trip to California after the turn of the year for the fiancé and I will make that come true smile.gif

Well, good old Rob will be happy to host you and the little lady if you make down this way. I'll even give to a turn on the remote ... smile.gif
post #10918 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Great explanation of how these speakers perform. This describes my experience with these speakers pretty much exactly but you are better with words than I am. It never gets old either, at least it hasn't for me since last November.

I don't think I'm "better with words" than you are Carp. After all, it was the posts you shared when you got the Noesis that got me fired up enough to have a listen. I thought to myself, "self, if you like those speakers as much as Carp, your search is over!"smile.gif

As you've pointed out, its a dicey proposition to rave about this, or any speaker, for the fear that someone will blind buy based on your glowing review, only to get them home and be like, "these suck!". But on the other hand, I don't want to say nothing, close the door to my room, and giggle maniacally that no one else will ever know how damn good these sound...ah, my Precious...

Oh well, it is what it is. This is the JTR owners thread. So if you don't like it, don't let the door hit you on the way out biggrin.gif
post #10919 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

I don't think I'm "better with words" than you are Carp. After all, it was the posts you shared when you got the Noesis that got me fired up enough to have a listen. I thought to myself, "self, if you like those speakers as much as Carp, your search is over!"smile.gif

As you've pointed out, its a dicey proposition to rave about this, or any speaker, for the fear that someone will blind buy based on your glowing review, only to get them home and be like, "these suck!". But on the other hand, I don't want to say nothing, close the door to my room, and giggle maniacally that no one else will ever know how damn good these sound...ah, my Precious...

Oh well, it is what it is. This is the JTR owners thread. So if you don't like it, don't let the door hit you on the way out biggrin.gif

I love this thread!
post #10920 of 18374
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

I bought a rack mount version so I'm pretty sure it needs a fan.
Yes, I'm wondering why you chose rack mount over plate amp?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread