or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JTR speaker thread - Page 395

post #11821 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Anyone knows what 'vpl' level to set for my clone for the Noesis speakers??

Never mind.. I just learned about Ohm's laws (back at the clone thread).. and its 90v for 2000watts into 4ohms...
post #11822 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Well, if 160 watts/channel is still not enough, then there's no chance my 80 watts/channel (edit: I just found out it's actually 105Watts/channel) avr will ever be... tongue.gif

And that leads back to the conclusion, MORE = BETTER!!

I just don't get the tests designed to fail like 'level matched'.

Don't we want to test 'which avr/amp' is better at whatever levels we want to hear? At this point, my clone has no limits and is far superior to my avr... well, unless i want to go beyond the Noesis' 136dB max... at which point, i might have to visit the ENT....
It's a Marantz SR 7400. I just checked online and it actually delivers 105 Watts / channel into 7 channels.. so, it's actually better than i thought... and still devastated by the Clone...
It's actually 105 Watts / per channel, all discrete channels.. according to marantz' website..

It was not about 160 watts, it was 4 ohm stability. The speakers were 103 dBs sensitive with a 4 ohm rating. 160 watts should be plenty! I agree, I test everything I compare with movies and at reference only. If something sounds bad at reference and I know it should sound great, it gets sold.
post #11823 of 18328
Marantz SR 7400, doesn't appear to be designed to run 4ohm speakers. That's likely a part of the problem.

I do not know what an amp or AVR would characteristically sound like if they are given a load that is too low impendance, but whatever it is - it may be what you are experiencing???

The SR 7400 owners manual on page 45 states that the SR 7400 is rated for 8 or 6 ohm, and page 12 says to only use the AVR for speakers with the specified impedance shown on the rear panel of this unit.

A google image search shows the back panel says 6-8 ohms, but that's the best picture I could find in a cursory search and the bottom of what I'd like to see is cut off. But it appears from what I can see that 4 ohm is a no go on your AVR.

post #11824 of 18328
Might just not be able to handle the current draw at lower impedances. That would be my simple guess.
post #11825 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Never mind.. I just learned about Ohm's laws (back at the clone thread).. and its 90v for 2000watts into 4ohms...

90v on the VPL will get you about 1000 watts
post #11826 of 18328
Yup. That could certainly be the reason.

I will give you guys my review when I get in my 5010 onkyo
post #11827 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

90v on the VPL will get you about 1000 watts

Now I m confused. Why is there a diff between yours n noty's calculation?
post #11828 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

90v on the VPL will get you about 1000 watts

Now I am too as I just looked at your sig, where are the CHT subs in the mix?!?!
post #11829 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Yup. That could certainly be the reason.

I will give you guys my review when I get in my 5010 onkyo

Now that's an AVR!
post #11830 of 18328
Archaea, back to your question about how loud other people listen to music.

I know reference doesn't really mean anything when it comes to music but it is a rough estimate. I am usually around 15 under for long periods but quite often I will sneak up the volume to 10 under, 5 under, 0 and above for short periods. The louder I go the shorter the time duration.

Currenty I am at.... 14 under reference. So much of this is song dependent since some recordings are so much more loud (compressed) than others.

Hey, can you remind me exactly what the song title is for the Sherlock Holmes movie soundrack? I don't want one of the remixes or whatever, I want that same song we were playing at the gtg. That was unreal dynamics!!
post #11831 of 18328
Goodoc, did you implement your balanced mini dsp in yet? I am curious how the 0.9 Volts output is testing the caps. Or was it someone else who got that model
post #11832 of 18328
I'd be curious to see what the results would of been with the blind amp comparison using very low sensitivity speakers instead of high sensitivity. I know it was said that the Rf-63 was used but I'm talking 85-87db low sensitivity speakers. What do u guys think?
post #11833 of 18328
Hans Zimmer - Sherlock Holmes: Original Sountrack - Discombobulate

It should come up with the movie cover on Spotify. There are lots of orchestra immitations out there of lesser quality.

What's that thread you mentioned the other day that has high quality music listed? I'd like to add some to my spotify queue.
post #11834 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

I'd be curious to see what the results would of been with the blind amp comparison using very low sensitivity speakers instead of high sensitivity. I know it was said that the Rf-63 was used but I'm talking 85-87db low sensitivity speakers. What do u guys think?

No difference, the low sensitivity speaker would run better with whatever amp provided enough juice to play loud enough. They just require more power to reach their limits, which are usually lower than Higher sensitive speakers.
post #11835 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

No difference, the low sensitivity speaker would run better with whatever amp provided enough juice to play loud enough. They just require more power to reach their limits, which are usually lower than Higher sensitive speakers.

Thanks that's pretty much what I figured.
post #11836 of 18328
How bout a 100 watt tube amp verses a 100 watt solid state? Ive read tube amps add a distortion characteristic that people define as an added warmth.
post #11837 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Hans Zimmer - Sherlock Holmes: Original Sountrack - Discombobulate

It should come up with the movie cover on Spotify. There are lots of orchestra immitations out there of lesser quality.

What's that thread you mentioned the other day that has high quality music listed? I'd like to add some to my spotify queue.


Cool, playing it now - love it.

I don't remember a thread, I had a playlist saved myself on Spotify that had some music that sounds damn good for being internet radio. Maybe someone else mentioned a thread?
post #11838 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

How bout a 100 watt tube amp verses a 100 watt solid state? Ive read tube amps add a distortion characteristic that people define as an added warmth.

The FR has to be the same. Amps with different FR's can be id'd
post #11839 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

The FR has to be the same. Amps with different FR's can be id'd

Gotcha thanx. Ya gotta be apples to apples.
post #11840 of 18328

120dB of distorted sound is 120dB because thats what it measures, 120dB of clean sound is 120dB for the same reason. If the volume is set for 100dB and with distortion is 110dB, then it's 110dB. So no matter how you want to spin it, SPL is SPL it's as loud as it is.
post #11841 of 18328
I've got some big news..... (well to me anyways lol) The custom Noesis I've always wanted will finally BECOME ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Though it took me almost a year of bugging Jeff, he got back to me tonight and my custom Noesis with the 2 x 10's sealed will be started as soon as I phone him and pay tomorrow cool.gif yessssssssssssssssssss new stuff!

That means, I'll have my custom Qunit 8 lp for sale! I had it custom made, it's the same height and depth as the T8 lp but with the 2 extra 8" drivers and a custom xover. I payed about $1900 total (payed the extra custom speaker charge of $300 over the $1599 for the speaker... not including all the other charges to get it into Canada) and is almost a year old, I'll sell for $1400 shipped anywhere in North America in about a month is anyone is interested.

It's of course in perfect shape and I have the shipping box. I figured I let guys on here know first before I put it up locally.
post #11842 of 18328
n8dogg - how does he fit five drivers in triple eight profile cab? They can't all be front facing?
post #11843 of 18328
^^ That is big news N8! Which CD/horn combo is Jeff using for your custom?
post #11844 of 18328
The T8s is 25.5″ x 9.625″ x 7.5″ and mine is 43 x 9.625 x 7.5. I meant the other 2 width and depth are the same. Pic is in my avatar
post #11845 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

n8dogg - how does he fit five drivers in triple eight profile cab? They can't all be front facing?
I think its a quint cab which is much taller not a triple cab.
Edited by lbrown105 - 10/21/13 at 5:19pm
post #11846 of 18328
I think its the same size as the quint cab just narrower because it's sealed, though the specs are not on the JTR site for the quint anymore.

It will use the Noesis CD and the pro Noesis's 10 inch subs. It should have specs very close to the Noesis with all the same xover points etc, just 10's instead of 12's
post #11847 of 18328
N8DOGG what will the cabinet size be for this speaker with 10" drivers? Will it still be like the sealed 212? Why are you wanting 10" instead of 12" drivers? I was wishing for something similar if it could be somewhat smaller cabinet but would desire the larger horn driver of the 212 if possible.
Pete
post #11848 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I've got some big news..... (well to me anyways lol) The custom Noesis I've always wanted will finally BECOME ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Though it took me almost a year of bugging Jeff, he got back to me tonight and my custom Noesis with the 2 x 10's sealed will be started as soon as I phone him and pay tomorrow cool.gif yessssssssssssssssssss new stuff!

That means, I'll have my custom Qunit 8 lp for sale! I had it custom made, it's the same height and depth as the T8 lp but with the 2 extra 8" drivers and a custom xover. I payed about $1900 total (payed the extra custom speaker charge of $300 over the $1599 for the speaker... not including all the other charges to get it into Canada) and is almost a year old, I'll sell for $1400 shipped anywhere in North America in about a month is anyone is interested.

It's of course in perfect shape and I have the shipping box. I figured I let guys on here know first before I put it up locally.

Wouldn't it have been easier/cheaper/better just to get an AT screen and another 212 confused.gif

Or, do you just like one off's? tongue.gif
post #11849 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

120dB of distorted sound is 120dB because thats what it measures, 120dB of clean sound is 120dB for the same reason. If the volume is set for 100dB and with distortion is 110dB, then it's 110dB. So no matter how you want to spin it, SPL is SPL it's as loud as it is.

Its more complex than that, but when I have to look back in the thread to remember why it is I'm even discussing it, it must not be very interesting:D

Your new speaker, now that's interesting! Cant wait to see it and hear your impressions.
post #11850 of 18328
video to be posted soon that'll be quite revealing. wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread