Originally Posted by biffbyun
I'm not sure if it's a problem with the setup, but I haven't had this problem with any of the previous centers. I'm only using a triple 8 for the center at the moment. I was planning on switching out the rest of the fronts when I can, but I need to address a problem first. Are any of you guys noticing some "boxiness" coloration from the triple 8's. I have moved it away from the wall (about 2.5') and the it's on a stand above the 18".
I notice that dialog seems to be coming from a box with hints of almost echo-ie coloration. I level matched it and am not using any type of room correction at the moment. Powering with a gemstone (200x7).
Here are some things to consider that might be relevant:
1) Are your frontal speakers in an ITU Semi-circle? That is, do you have them equidistant from your listening position? If not, you may be experiencing some "time alignment" echo or phase issues that your receiver isn't correcting.
2) Have you tried listening to the center ALONE, to see if still has the echo/boxiness? If your L&R mains use a different order X-over they may be introducing phase issues. If it looses the boxiness all by itself, then it is interactive degradation imposed by any number of phase, crossover, and arrival issues from unlike speakers.
3) Try running the center in "reverse phase" just as an experiment to see if that is part of it.
4) Make sure that the JTR is not sitting on a stand where the bottom of the speaker and the stand make a corner. It should be sitting with at least 1" out over the stand or shelf.
5) If you have a coffee table or hard surface between you and the center speaker remove it
. The reflection from such can play havoc with the sound setting up a really.
Hope that gives you some things to try.