or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JTR speaker thread - Page 176

post #5251 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Sounds like things improved for you RMK - Thats awesome....
Sounds like the new BMS compression drivers are getting the nod for cleaner less abrasiveness in the upper regions from your descriptions...
Do we have pics of the grills at all.... product page states magnetic grills... cloth ?!?!?
I'm contemplating moving to some more dynamic speakers for my great room..... replacing the Paradigm Sig S8's...
Its hard for me to switch to something less aesthetic but.... I guess we'll see...
I was really trying to wait it out for Seaton to come up with his narrow / floor standing Cat's but it just doesn't seem to be on the top of his list.....
This is important to me, along with the need for higher SPL's
I will have to make the 45 min drive out to check out Jeff's place and see his Noesis stuff... He was just by my house a couple weeks ago to check out my rig and my Subs...
Nice to meet him finally....
Oh I missed the info on the early buyers sale.... Link or info..!?!?!?

Hi Warpdrv, good to hear from you. The grills are cloth over wood with magnets and yes, the CD is the difference maker. That said, I would contend that any descriptions of the Triple 12's as abrasive in the upper end are based upon bad data. Clearly, the refinement (increased resolution and lower distortion) of the Noesis is due to the new CD. The horns directivity makes it more room friendly and the sum of these differences are subtle but audible.

I know aesthetics are important to you as they should be in that beautiful room of yours smile.gif. The Signature 8's are nice looking speakers and I'm afraid even with the veneer option and grills, the Noesis would be more industrial looking. The front baffle chamfer of the Cats adds a nice dimension to their appearance and has always made them better looking than the typical JTR offering. Aesthetics aside, the cabinet construction and bracing of the JTR's is excellent. They really are virtually indestructible (as Jeff says, "built to last a lifetime") so you better make sure you like them before buying... tongue.gif

But seriously, I'd be very interested in you take on the Noesis and hope that you get a chance to demo them. Just make sure that you bring some of your favorite music and that YOU are the one with the remote. In my expierence, Jeff likes to quickly go to 11 and as impressive as that is, it makes further detailed listening difficult wink.gif .

Cheers,
Rob

BTW, the Wyred amp and Noesis speakers is a very nice combo but you will need attenuators ... smile.gif
Edited by RMK! - 11/1/12 at 2:41pm
post #5252 of 18423
Thanks Rob, as always I enjoy wading through your spending habits.....

From my sources - That BMS compression driver is the CATS @$$, super smooth and can handle gobs of power.....
A trusted friend built his own speakers with that CD but with 15" woofs instead. Minor tradeoffs I guess but I don't need anything that is any wider then what the Noesis would bring.
Needless to say my interest is piqued to say the least. We just had a long conversation about it.

If I have to give up some aesthetics to get my theater more balanced in the power dept I can handle it...
I'd like my rig to go to 11 too, but the Sigs just can't accomplish that task nearly as well as these will I can guarantee it....

Well I'll be back here posting my thoughts
post #5253 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Thanks Rob, as always I enjoy wading through your spending habits.....

As I do yours ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

From my sources - That BMS compression driver is the CATS @$$, super smooth and can handle gobs of power.....
A trusted friend built his own speakers with that CD but with 15" woofs instead. Minor tradeoffs I guess but I don't need anything that is any wider then what the Noesis would bring.
Needless to say my interest is piqued to say the least. We just had a long conversation about it.
If I have to give up some aesthetics to get my theater more balanced in the power dept I can handle it...
I'd like my rig to go to 11 too, but the Sigs just can't accomplish that task nearly as well as these will I can guarantee it....
Well I'll be back here posting my thoughts


Cats ass is an interesting metaphor choice ...

I reached a similar conclusion years ago with my Revel Studios. They just didn't have the cojones to do 11 be it R&R or movie sound tracks. Looking forward to your comments.
post #5254 of 18423
Warp, I went from the full Signature setup ( 8's, C3 and 4 S2's) IMO the JTR's are better in pretty much every way possible. With just 2 channel music no sub? the 8's are of course the better choice but I don't play music without subs, so that win was a moot point. This was the 12's and not even the Noesis
post #5255 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

but I don't play music without subs


Who would even talk like that....

Hahahha After spending a quite some time - I'll never ever be wanting more in the bass dept... there is no way I could listen to anything without my LMS's.
post #5256 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

Thanks, guys. RMK!, I hadn't thought about ceiling mounting the slanted 8's, but that's a great idea. Just out of curiosity, how long was the wait time for you guys from order to shipment for the single 8's? thanks again.
BTW, RMK!, I was just going over your HT room thread for about the 100th time. I hate it because I'm always jealous when I look at those pictures. Great setup!

Thanks The wait times vary but for S8's I would think 2 weeks or less to build and ship.

Ceiling mounting of the height speakers is a good option. I used a ceiling speaker mount that had swivel/tilt capability so that I could aim the Slanted 8's exactly as I wanted them. You want the heights well ... as high up as possible. Mine are slightly outboard and in front of my main speakers. The height CD is 4' above the mains CD and that is just about right.
post #5257 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Sounds like things improved for you RMK - Thats awesome....
Sounds like the new BMS compression drivers are getting the nod for cleaner less abrasiveness in the upper regions from your descriptions...
Do we have pics of the grills at all.... product page states magnetic grills... cloth ?!?!?
I'm contemplating moving to some more dynamic speakers for my great room..... replacing the Paradigm Sig S8's...
Its hard for me to switch to something less aesthetic but.... I guess we'll see...
I was really trying to wait it out for Seaton to come up with his narrow / floor standing Cat's but it just doesn't seem to be on the top of his list.....
This is important to me, along with the need for higher SPL's
I will have to make the 45 min drive out to check out Jeff's place and see his Noesis stuff... He was just by my house a couple weeks ago to check out my rig and my Subs...
Nice to meet him finally....
Oh I missed the info on the early buyers sale.... Link or info..!?!?!?

Warpdrv, if you ever want to hear the T12lp and T8lp in a well treated theater room with an OS, Empire and two velos, just let me know. I am just south of Milw. I know you are very interested in the Neosis but geting a reference point from the 2012 LP's might be helpful too.
post #5258 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

Warpdrv, if you ever want to hear the T12lp and T8lp in a well treated theater room with an OS, Empire and two velos, just let me know. I am just south of Milw. I know you are very interested in the Neosis but geting a reference point from the 2012 LP's might be helpful too.

That is an excellent suggestion and generous offer but I'm guessing that Warpdrv is sold on those new compression drivers and anything less is a non-starter.
post #5259 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

Warpdrv, if you ever want to hear the T12lp and T8lp in a well treated theater room with an OS, Empire and two velos, just let me know. I am just south of Milw. I know you are very interested in the Neosis but geting a reference point from the 2012 LP's might be helpful too.

Appreciate the offer - I'll keep that in mind....
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

That is an excellent suggestion and generous offer but I'm guessing that Warpdrv is sold on those new compression drivers and anything less is a non-starter.

Correct RMK, that is pretty much my mindset on things.....

I'm really in no hurry, and if it weren't to happen until next year - it wouldn't kill me...
My system as it sits is more then most will ever attain, just could use some improvement for more SPL...
post #5260 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Sounds like things improved for you RMK - Thats awesome....
Sounds like the new BMS compression drivers are getting the nod for cleaner less abrasiveness in the upper regions from your descriptions...
Do we have pics of the grills at all.... product page states magnetic grills... cloth ?!?!?
I'm contemplating moving to some more dynamic speakers for my great room..... replacing the Paradigm Sig S8's...
Its hard for me to switch to something less aesthetic but.... I guess we'll see...
I was really trying to wait it out for Seaton to come up with his narrow / floor standing Cat's but it just doesn't seem to be on the top of his list.....
This is important to me, along with the need for higher SPL's
I will have to make the 45 min drive out to check out Jeff's place and see his Noesis stuff... He was just by my house a couple weeks ago to check out my rig and my Subs...
Nice to meet him finally....
Oh I missed the info on the early buyers sale.... Link or info..!?!?!?

Warpdrv,
I too am waiting on the Cat 8ST's (I think that's what they are called). According to Mark, who I met and talked to at CEDIA back in September, he's planning to have the new floorstanding Cats out by the end of this year, so hopefully it won't be too much longer.
post #5261 of 18423
Warpdrv
You are in no hurry because you have not heard them yet,
Just wait till you place the order and Jeff tells you 8 - 10 weeks.
I know that am skipping a step(buying them) but judging by what you are looking for
in terms of SPL and pure accuracy not to mention a speaker that will truly keep up with those
LMS's (yes they will) you are just an audition away from being in a hurry.
Hell Yeah !!!
Chris
post #5262 of 18423
hahahah

I still have a kid in college as well as mortgage and taxes due Jan 31st
Needless to say - the front 3 will be less then the taxes....

As well as the fact I just dropped about the same amount as the front 3 on a new weapons platform... Can't keep this economy going all on my own...
post #5263 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

Warpdrv
You are in no hurry because you have not heard them yet,
Just wait till you place the order and Jeff tells you 8 - 10 weeks.
I know that am skipping a step(buying them) but judging by what you are looking for
in terms of SPL and pure accuracy not to mention a speaker that will truly keep up with those
LMS's (yes they will) you are just an audition away from being in a hurry.
Hell Yeah !!!
Chris

They are amazing ... just wall mounted the T8-LP's and placed acoustic panels around them. Slightly incereased the toe in of the Noesis, re-ran Ausyssey and watched Abe Linclon, Vampire Hunter bluray. Silly a$$ed movie but really fun. The DTS HD-MA 7.1 sound track makes it worth it and the Noesis make the sound track.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record but damn, these speakers sound great. The closing credits have a song by Linkin Park that just kicks a$$. I have none of their music but cranked it up to +5 reference and it was a religious experience. :cool:
post #5264 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Can't keep this economy going all on my own...

Tell me about it - I know that feeling.
post #5265 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

They are amazing ... just wall mounted the T8-LP's and placed acoustic panels around them. Slightly incereased the toe in of the Noesis, re-ran Ausyssey and watched Abe Linclon, Vampire Hunter bluray. Silly a$$ed movie but really fun. The DTS HD-MA 7.1 sound track makes it worth it and the Noesis make the sound track.
I know I'm sounding like a broken record but damn, these speakers sound great. The closing credits have a song by Linkin Park that just kicks a$$. I have none of their music but cranked it up to +5 reference and it was a religious experience. :cool:
Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter is my Sunday morning movie this week. Silly or not I love that kind of stuff. I am excited to experience this movie with my system. If it is entertaining and the audio is DTS then I am always in. I almost buy every Blu-ray done in 7.1.
Same goes with all concert dvd's done in DTS or just Multichznnel 5.1 as long as it is Rock. LinKin Park Road to Revolution is a kickass Blu-ray concert. Definately worth owning with the JTR'S. It will fire you up.
Every morning before work I watch a concert dvd instead of the old days of listening to the radio. Tv shows like "American Horror Story" , "Justified" , and "Burn Notice" are more entertaing then alot of movies these days and they are recorded in 5.1 to sound great. Vey entertaining.
Even though I lack the words to convey this experience I can say this with confidence "Rob I understand Exactly what you are experiencing" and it is Pure Audio Nirvana.
I do not even have the imagination to see how it can get better.
The more I listen the more tongue-tied I become.
Sweet
Chris
Edited by countryWV - 11/3/12 at 6:29am
post #5266 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

hahahah
I still have a kid in college as well as mortgage and taxes due Jan 31st
Needless to say - the front 3 will be less then the taxes....
As well as the fact I just dropped about the same amount as the front 3 on a new weapons platform... Can't keep this economy going all on my own...
One thing we all learn as we grow older is that be it next week , next month, or even next year it will be here in an instant. That is why it is so important to take the proper time to make things happen in order of priorities.
Rushing into anything to quick usually ends in regret and bitterness. I am glad to see you have an interest in the new CD. With time we will get to hear what you think. Since I purchased my T12's less than a year ago I can in noway justify the Noesis at this time. I like to live Vicarously thru Rob's audio experience and comments. You know "next best thing."
One more man who knows what he is talking about with these new speakers (if it happens) will just be icing on the cake to me.
What is a weapons platform? I was stationed at Ft Bragg NC from 1990-93 had to do the Desert storm/shield in a field artillery unit (m198 howitzer) so after that it takes a hell of alot to excite me but Anything involving weapons does the trick. That is my real passion/hobby but since we live in a world where guns offend I just keep it to myself. That is where JTR takes over. they reproduce all the gunfire and explosions exact. Next best thing to doing it myself.
Chris
Edited by countryWV - 11/3/12 at 7:49am
post #5267 of 18423
Chris, with the utmost sincerity - Thank you for your service to our country !!!


I picked up a new LWRC R.E.P.R.....
It was a special run with a14.5" spiral barrel....
I'm sure you know how it goes with all the accessories how it adds up...

I'm planning a 20" upper for lobbing out past 1000 yards....

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Warpdrv/LWRC/IMG_20121004_120057-1.jpg
post #5268 of 18423
Man Warp
That is SWEET !!!
Thats a hobby that has value++++.
For every single $$$$ I have lost in audio I have made 2x that back with trading weapons.
The only stickler is I have a Very hard time coming off my guns. I have had my WV concealed weapons permit since 1992( WV first class). But I Never carry a gun.
That picture has me grinning from ear to ear. I truly think I would explode or melt if I were to shoot that weapon while listening to those LMS's. Pure sensary overload
Throw in some strippers and that would be an adult males version of Disney World. I said hell yeah earlier but this time I mean it.
HELL YEAH !!!
Chris
Edited by countryWV - 11/3/12 at 9:33am
post #5269 of 18423
The listening demo for the Noesis speakers is starting in about a 1/2 hour. It looks like 4-7 are going to come over. I'll take some pictures.
post #5270 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

The listening demo for the Noesis speakers is starting in about a 1/2 hour. It looks like 4-7 are going to come over. I'll take some pictures.
Sounds like a great time. I'll bet you have the Noesis trimmed into your system perfect. A nice small group will give everyone there best chance at a proper audition.
Thanks in advance for the time and effort you must have had to put in to make this happen.
Thoughts and pictures will be greatly appreciated from us JTR fans. You are a valueable asset here on the AVS Forum.
These are exciting times
Chris
post #5271 of 18423
turn it up dd!
post #5272 of 18423
I'd love to hear those, dome. Can't wait to see the pictures. I just ordered a pair of slanted 8's for my front heights. So now my front sound stage consists of three t8-LP's and two slanted 8's. The subs have yet to be determined, but I'm leasing towards two CHT ss-18.1's because of their smaller size and price. This hobby sucks, I'm always trying to find ways to justify spending money! I can see myself saying "I don't need a couch, I can just get a couple of folding chairs and now I can afford to upgrade to the Noesis!".
post #5273 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

I'd love to hear those, dome. Can't wait to see the pictures. I just ordered a pair of slanted 8's for my front heights. So now my front sound stage consists of three t8-LP's and two slanted 8's. The subs have yet to be determined, but I'm leasing towards two CHT ss-18.1's because of their smaller size and price. This hobby sucks, I'm always trying to find ways to justify spending money! I can see myself saying "I don't need a couch, I can just get a couple of folding chairs and now I can afford to upgrade to the Noesis!".

I hear you on the folding chairs. I am going to buy my Slanted 8 surrounds first and it will be a month or two before I have the money saved up for actual theater seats.
post #5274 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

turn it up dd!

Are you channeling Jeff? ...

As you know there is loud where the speakers are strained/overloaded with sound. That distortion is an unpleasant experience and why a lot of folks here say they don't care about reference level as it is just too loud. Yet, that is the level they often get at the movie theater and they don't complain about that...

These speakers are designed to play reference levels easily and when they are setup correctly and properly powered, they do not sound loud. It is an enveloping sound that matches the big picture many of us have and completes the Theater at Home experience. Some of us are fortunate enough to get that experience every time we fire up our systems.

Horses for courses.
post #5275 of 18423
If I get 3 attenuators for my 3 front triple 12s,I think it was stated that I use -10 db attenuators for best results,just install them & re-run audyssey & see what happens?Do I just plug the attenuators into my amps xlr inputs & plug the xlp cable into the other end? thanks ps I guess for 30.00 $ its worth a try!!
post #5276 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

If I get 3 attenuators for my 3 front triple 12s,I think it was stated that I use -10 db attenuators for best results,just install them & re-run audyssey & see what happens?Do I just plug the attenuators into my amps xlr inputs & plug the xlp cable into the other end? thanks ps I guess for 30.00 $ its worth a try!!

That's it. I installed the attenuators on my SSP end (due to allowable space) but no matter. The attenuators will drop the level of your T12 LCR's 10db. Re-running Audyssey should set the levels to 75db. Adjust the crossovers to your preferred settings and check all the speaker levels with an SPL meter and you should be good to go.
Edited by RMK! - 11/4/12 at 8:50am
post #5277 of 18423
Thanks RMK, will adjusting the x-overs to my own taste defeat Audyssey settings?
post #5278 of 18423
is anyone going to post their thoughts of the gtg at desert domes place...?!?!?
post #5279 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

Thanks RMK, will adjusting the x-overs to my own taste defeat Audyssey settings?

The Audyssey filters allow for adjustments in the crossover as those are dictated by the SSP/AVR. You should really read the Audyssey setup guide ... very informative smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

is anyone going to post their thoughts of the gtg at desert domes place...?!?!?

Good question, I'm thinking that scheduling this in Nebraska on a Huskers home game Saturday was an issue...smile.gif
post #5280 of 18423
Ive read some of the Audyssey set-up & it took me a long time to like Audyssey but I finally got use to it, thanks again for your help. ps Ive been alone in this hobby of ht,no one in my area has ht I got to drive 200miles to see a good system, so i had to blind buy most of my gear,but I chose wisely when I got JTR spks.without hearing them!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread