or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JTR speaker thread - Page 198

post #5911 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

humm ive never been to Iowa
might be time to change that
Never been to the Field of Dreams??? Missing out.... :-)
post #5912 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

died in the wool Salk owners will not think typically think JTR holds a candle to their speakers. Salk makes nice speakers --- I've heard several lines and enjoyed them all, but a blind test against the JTR Neosis of Catalyst 12C would be interesting indeed for the Salk owners who supposedly hated the more high efficiency pro design speakers (JTR) in the sighted meets like this one.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1324185/se-wi-tower-speaker-gtg/980_20#post_21911730
the above were my comments on the meet, but if you read pages before and after to find the comments of some of the other 2 channel guys you'll quickly realize they have their own biases -- we all do.
Here's a review that didn't like the JTR
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1324185/se-wi-tower-speaker-gtg/1120_20
and another
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1324185/se-wi-tower-speaker-gtg/900_20#post_21910248
actually there were many from that group that didn't like the JTR.... (keep in mind they didn't have subs playing with them and Jeff's speakers are NOT designed to be run full range without a sub, while the others in the contest were designed to be run full range)
The first post in this thread has a quick link to each of the reviews:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1324185/se-wi-tower-speaker-gtg/0_20
again - blind testing would have been awesome!
dlbeck! Make it happen. Aren't your Salk towers about the same price as a pair of Noesis? Setup a blind test with the IA crowd. Play lots of different music with the attendees completely blind to which model you are playing with. Use your S2 subs - crossover at 80hz? I'd love to see the results. If you can setup it up when the KC crowd can attend - I'm sure a bunch of us would like to be there. Some of the NE crowd might come up too?

Thanks for the links, I definitely enjoyed reading the opinions.

It seems that the majority of those people were Salk owners and slightly biased prior to attending. It also seemed like the "music people" did not prefer the JTR or Seatons, but the "movie people" preferred those heh. It sucks there were no subs with the JTR. I'm definitely going to have subs so that probably isn't much of an issue for me. Right now I have a 10+ year old of JBL towers I bought at Best Buy when I worked there in like 2001. They still sound good to this day and I will be keeping them up in my living room, but they are paired with a sub as well. Without a sub you can definitely miss out on some bass, although they have some. But with a sub it is a lot better. I personally enjoy them for both movies AND music, but I'm looking for higher end than this for my HT area.

I will definitely at least hear the Salk's this weekend though since it is better to hear as many as possible before making my decision. Still very tempted about the JTR's even though I most likely won't be able to listen to them prior frown.gif.
post #5913 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post

Never been to the Field of Dreams??? Missing out.... :-)

i might have driven past it, i have been to iowa but only because its between Kansas City and Omaha on 29

drove through that area at like 4 am or so when i helped my brother move across the country. Orlando to reno in 2 days eek.gif

and yes believe it or not thats the fastest route that doesn't have you bushwhacking it across west Texas or the desert in Arizona
post #5914 of 18412
lol...

carp,
If you sell the Noesis...just let me have first dibs! smile.gif
post #5915 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

I have a thread started about my "build log" here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1437068/first-time-home-theater-build-log

Very nice! I like the color a lot.
post #5916 of 18412
Ok, I think that my single 8's are haunted. I have them on a table with some other components while I wait for my basement to be completed. As I walked by them I heard a buzz and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I checked everything and finally realized that it was from the single 8's. They are just sitting on a table not connected to anything. The nearest thing plugged in was in the other room, 15 feet away. Any idea what is causing this? Freaky.
post #5917 of 18412
Here's the thread for the potential upcoming Iowa meet featuring the JTR Noesis, dual S2's and the Salks.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/871474/ia-meet/3420#post_22658406

Hope to see ya there.

David
post #5918 of 18412
I made short video of the Noesis running at reference levels on music in my room powered by a mystery amp. cool.gif You might chuckle when you see exactly what amp I was using in the video... eek.gif

You'll have to forgive my little sony bloggie camcorder --- it's on it's last leg and clicks all the time now while trying to focus.

The JTR Noesis sounded great regardless!


Edited by Archaea - 12/6/12 at 8:31pm
post #5919 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I made short video of the Noesis running at reference levels on music in my room powered by a mystery amp. cool.gif You might chuckle when you see exactly what amp I was using in the video... eek.gif
You'll have to forgive my little sony bloggie camcorder --- it's on it's last leg and clicks all the time now while trying to focus.
The JTR Noesis sounded great regardless!

nice demonstration. It really does speak to the value even more when you consider the minimal spend on amp needed to reach ref. Of course 2000watts/ch would be fun too:eek:
post #5920 of 18412
lol Jeff wasn't kidding when he said you could run them off a T-amp was he
post #5921 of 18412
So about by center channel question, anyone?
post #5922 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post

So about by center channel question, anyone?
My last center was the Mythos ten. Moving to the T12 was like taking a blanket off the speaker. I feel like the T12 is clear , accurate , and distortion free. Without putting the MYthos Ten down I will say this I was not satisfied but with the T12 I am completely satisfied and have been for that last year of use. I still use 4 M10's for surrounds but that is my systems weakest spot. The T12's are overwhelming and are just a pleasure to listen to. The Noesis has a 40% larger compression driver and attached to a horn thaat directs all the sound straight at you. It is the next level of the T12s. They are both Excellent so no wrong choice.
If you are coming from anything DefTech Then I feel comfortable saying you will be blown away by the performance. No Doubt !!
Chris
post #5923 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

Thanks for the links, I definitely enjoyed reading the opinions.
It seems that the majority of those people were Salk owners and slightly biased prior to attending. It also seemed like the "music people" did not prefer the JTR or Seatons, but the "movie people" preferred those heh. It sucks there were no subs with the JTR. I'm definitely going to have subs so that probably isn't much of an issue for me. Right now I have a 10+ year old of JBL towers I bought at Best Buy when I worked there in like 2001. They still sound good to this day and I will be keeping them up in my living room, but they are paired with a sub as well. Without a sub you can definitely miss out on some bass, although they have some. But with a sub it is a lot better. I personally enjoy them for both movies AND music, but I'm looking for higher end than this for my HT area.
I will definitely at least hear the Salk's this weekend though since it is better to hear as many as possible before making my decision. Still very tempted about the JTR's even though I most likely won't be able to listen to them prior frown.gif.
My first post on this forum was because of the reviews written at that GTG. I knew then that this would keep coming up over and over and over as it has for the last 6 or so months. No problems as everyone did a 100% honest review based completely on everything they heard at the meet.
You can drive a car on the rims with No tires just for fun but I would not write a review on its handling and performance. It takes tires to perform correctly. Thats a fact. So relate that to the listening to the T12's ran full range with No external crossover and No subwoofer. It was fun but noone should have wrote a review becuase it was set up for failure and every negative point or comment in the reviews was Directly related to Improper use of the design. All of us owners Know that and when points were trying to be made it got turned around and thrown back in our faces as trying to gang up and start negativety. The old "Blame the Blamer" philosophy. Fun is fun but the reviews are misleading and just Bad information all around. Those who read and do not understand this are confused and base their future thoughts and desicions on PURELY BAD INFORMATION.
All I can speak about is my own personal use with the T12's. On thier own running them full range and setting the speaker to large it sounds HARSH. Running my SubM HP'S with no speakers sound ridiculous too. But when I run them together (as the design was intended) crossing them over at 80 hz together they become Hawk and Animal forming the Road Warriors (LOD).The greatest tag team of all time.
Whatever you end up chosing enjoy as that is what matters. Take what others say with a grain of salt becuase that is them and this is your choice. Good thing is if you never hear JTR's at least you don't know what your missing !!!!
Good Luck
Chris
Edited by countryWV - 12/7/12 at 6:57am
post #5924 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

died in the wool Salk owners will not think typically think JTR holds a candle to their speakers. Salk makes nice speakers --- I've heard several lines and enjoyed them all, but a blind test against the JTR Neosis of Catalyst 12C would be interesting indeed for the Salk owners who supposedly hated the more high efficiency pro design speakers (JTR) in the sighted meets like this one.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1324185/se-wi-tower-speaker-gtg/980_20#post_21911730
the above were my comments on the meet, but if you read pages before and after to find the comments of some of the other 2 channel guys you'll quickly realize they have their own biases -- we all do.
Here's a review that didn't like the JTR
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1324185/se-wi-tower-speaker-gtg/1120_20
and another
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1324185/se-wi-tower-speaker-gtg/900_20#post_21910248
actually there were many from that group that didn't like the JTR.... (keep in mind they didn't have subs playing with them and Jeff's speakers are NOT designed to be run full range without a sub, while the others in the contest were designed to be run full range)
The first post in this thread has a quick link to each of the reviews:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1324185/se-wi-tower-speaker-gtg/0_20
again - blind testing would have been awesome!
dlbeck! Make it happen. Aren't your Salk towers about the same price as a pair of Noesis? Setup a blind test with the IA crowd. Play lots of different music with the attendees completely blind to which model you are playing with. Use your S2 subs - crossover at 80hz? I'd love to see the results. If you can setup it up when the KC crowd can attend - I'm sure a bunch of us would like to be there. Some of the NE crowd might come up too?

That would be pretty awesome, as on paper the Noesis look to be beasts (best JTR speaker for sure).]

David, a blind test would be awesome, but you'll want at least one compadre to help you, and it'll likely mean you won't be able to partake in the listening sessions. If you're cool with that, though, just buy some acoustically transparent but opaque speaker grill cloth and stretch it across the front wall (if doable). Then you can make the swaps without anyone seeing. You'll also need to level match to within 1dB, of course. It should be a great time but no easy task. Speaking of which, have you discussed how you'll quickly level match and re-adjust the subwoofers? The JTR are WAY more sensitive than the Salks, so you'll have to not only adjust the master volume but also the subwoofer levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I'm going to try to make it for sure, but no way am I going to be a part of the blind comparison.
I've done that twice and both times I didn't prefer my own speakers/subs. This time I spent so much money on speakers that I know I would just be hoping to god that I preferred the Noesis. I can't handle that kind of stress. Yes I am a wuss.
In fact, I'd be a bit nervous just to hear the speakers compared at all, even without going blind. That said, this would be too much fun to miss so I've gotta make the trip up with the KC guys.

Haha - too funny. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Yep, And Justice for All is amazing. I have a feeling Cliff hadn't been gone long enough for his influence to have completely left the band. If he hadn't died it would have been very interesting to see where the band would have gone after Justice. They had created thier own genre IMO, I mean who else plays progressive thrash? Plenty of progressive metal out there, even progressive death metal like Opeth, but nothing that reminds me of Justice. It would have been so cool if they took it even more extreme and put out an album that combined their great 80's thrash sound with even longer songs and more complexity and more classical music influenced arrangements too.

What, no love fro Dream Theater? They run circles around Metallica, IMO. smile.gif Their Live At Budokan Blue-Ray is outstanding.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dream-Theater-Live-At-Budokan-Blu-ray/29117/

Oh man - I just realized I was misspelling "Blu-Ray" for the past few years. LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

My first post on this forum was because of the reviews written at that GTG. I knew then that this would keep coming up over and over and over as it has for the last 6 or so months. No problems as everyone did a 100% honest review based completely on everything they heard at the meet.
You can drive a car on the rims with No tires just for fun but I would not write a review on its handling and performance. It takes tires to perform correctly. Thats a fact. So relate that to the listening to the T12's ran full range with No external crossover and No subwoofer. It was fun but noone should have wrote a review becuase it was set up for failure and every negative point or comment in the reviews was Directly related to Improper use of the design. All of us owners Know that and when points were trying to be made it got turned around and thrown back in our faces as trying to gang up and start negativety. The old "Blame the Blamer" philosophy. Fun is fun but the reviews are misleading and just Bad information all around. Those who read and do not understand this are confused and base their future thoughts and desicions on PURELY BAD INFORMATION.
All I can speak about is my own personal use with the T12's. On thier own running them full range and setting the speaker to large it sounds HARSH. Running my SubM HP'S with no speakers sound ridiculous too. But when I run then together (as the design was intended) crossing them over at 80 htz together they become Hawk and Animal forming the Road Warriors (LOD).The greatest tag team of all time.
Whatever you end up chosing enjoy as that is what matters. Take what others say with a grain of salt becuase that is them and this is your choice. Good thing is if you never hear JTR's at least you don't know what your missing !!!!
Good Luck
Chris

You're the one who keeps bringing it up, so... We all agreed in the original GTG thread that the JTR's should have had subs, but Jeff chose not to run them that way. We later hooked them back up with subs, but it didn't work out with the 2-channel preamp so we used the receiver. They did sound better, of course.
Edited by Nuance - 12/7/12 at 6:44am
post #5925 of 18412
personally i would not compair DT to metallica, too different in their style. on the topic of metal BRs this is pretty much a must have

Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax: The Big 4 - Live from Sofia, Bulgaria

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Metallica-Slayer-Megadeth-Anthrax-The-Big-4-Live-from-Sofia-Bulgaria-Blu-ray/16600/
post #5926 of 18412
^ Would have been a great show to attend, though I do not like Slayer. Thanks for the BR recommendation.
post #5927 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

personally i would not compair DT to metallica, too different in their style. on the topic of metal BRs this is pretty much a must have
Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax: The Big 4 - Live from Sofia, Bulgaria

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Metallica-Slayer-Megadeth-Anthrax-The-Big-4-Live-from-Sofia-Bulgaria-Blu-ray/16600/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

personally i would not compair DT to metallica, too different in their style. on the topic of metal BRs this is pretty much a must have
Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax: The Big 4 - Live from Sofia, Bulgaria

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Metallica-Slayer-Megadeth-Anthrax-The-Big-4-Live-from-Sofia-Bulgaria-Blu-ray/16600/
That is an excellent BR but Slayer stole the show that set !!! I never hear Slayer on the radio and I have been listenig for them since 1985 so what a Treat to get to see them on Blu-ray. Bulgaria has a rough looking crowd but I have never seen a Slayer show that did not.
Chris
Edited by countryWV - 12/7/12 at 7:07am
post #5928 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

My first post on this forum was because of the reviews written at that GTG. I knew then that this would keep coming up over and over and over as it has for the last 6 or so months. No problems as everyone did a 100% honest review based completely on everything they heard at the meet.
You can drive a car on the rims with No tires just for fun but I would not write a review on its handling and performance. It takes tires to perform correctly. Thats a fact. So relate that to the listening to the T12's ran full range with No external crossover and No subwoofer. It was fun but noone should have wrote a review becuase it was set up for failure and every negative point or comment in the reviews was Directly related to Improper use of the design. All of us owners Know that and when points were trying to be made it got turned around and thrown back in our faces as trying to gang up and start negativety. The old "Blame the Blamer" philosophy. Fun is fun but the reviews are misleading and just Bad information all around. Those who read and do not understand this are confused and base their future thoughts and desicions on PURELY BAD INFORMATION.
All I can speak about is my own personal use with the T12's. On thier own running them full range and setting the speaker to large it sounds HARSH. Running my SubM HP'S with no speakers sound ridiculous too. But when I run them together (as the design was intended) crossing them over at 80 hz together they become Hawk and Animal forming the Road Warriors (LOD).The greatest tag team of all time.
Whatever you end up chosing enjoy as that is what matters. Take what others say with a grain of salt becuase that is them and this is your choice. Good thing is if you never hear JTR's at least you don't know what your missing !!!!
Good Luck
Chris

Yea I totally understand what you are saying.

When I first demo'd the Klipsch setup from a guy on this forum (popalock) and he has the RF-7 II and RC-64 II, he first played them with the sub off. We watched a movie clip of Cloverfield from his demo disc.

When I first heard it without a sub, it definitely sounded a little too "bright" for me, quite high pitched with not much bass at all. Like when gun shots fired and missles glew up, I did not "feel" anything like I want to when watching a movie. Granted, we had it LOUD which is what I wanted and is why it was brighter/high so I liked it. They sounded very clear/crisp but they definitely sounded pretty high pitched compared to other speakers I've heard. But it's good I heard them without a sub, so I could hear the speaker itself.

Then we played the same demo with his sub turned on and everything blended in nicely, although still a bit high pitched from the speakers. But that is what I have heard about Klipsch in general - you either like their brightness or you don't. I personally did enjoy it but after a while I think it may fatigue me. I'm pretty sensitive to high pitch stuff in general so that is another thing.

But don't get me wrong - it I had those in my house, I would be very happy with them. His setup sounded awesome still. It's like at this point I'm picking between 3-4 hot chicks - either way I will be alright!

I've also never heard a setup where all 3 LCR speakers are the same speaker. Up until about a month or so ago I did not even really know that it was what is recommended if possible. I always thought the center channel was just supposed to be different and smaller, but built to match. But now I have learned that most center channel specific speakers are built to "match" with specific mains because they try to use the same drivers and parts, but in a different casing. Or something like that tongue.gif

So that is another reason I really would like to hear a JTR setup with the same speakers in the LCR position.

The one area I REALLY REALLY like having a VERY nice clean speaker that can get right in your face is with the center channel speaker. My current setup is SEVERLY lacking in the center channel. But it was just some matching Northridge Series for my JBL set I got 10 years ago.

On another note, as far as music goes, I know I've stated that I mainly will be using this for movies/games/tv for the most part. But when I do listen to music, it isn't music with very much live instruments. What I man is I listen to more pop, hip-hop/rap, dance, spanish type of music rather than rock or very "instrument" full music.
post #5929 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I'm going to try to make it for sure, but no way am I going to be a part of the blind comparison.
I've done that twice and both times I didn't prefer my own speakers/subs. This time I spent so much money on speakers that I know I would just be hoping to god that I preferred the Noesis. I can't handle that kind of stress. Yes I am a wuss.
In fact, I'd be a bit nervous just to hear the speakers compared at all, even without going blind. That said, this would be too much fun to miss so I've gotta make the trip up with the KC guys.
After you have them in your HT for a couple of months (if not sooner) your worries will disappear. You have the first and most important step down, Buying them.cool.gif
Now just have a liitle faith. smile.gif
I just learned yesterday how to use the smilely faces.
Chris
post #5930 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

Can you believe Metallica kicked him out for partying too hard. Partying too hard to be in Metallica? In the early 80's no less. Now that is Crazy!!! I saw dave and Megadeth open for STP in 93
Peace Sells but Who"s Buying
Chris
That's not the only reason he was kicked out, but it was part of it. Dave was into hard core drugs too, so that played its role. He also regularly picked fights with the band members, and he kicked Hetfield's dog while drunk one day. His temper and drug use is what got him booted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

He has a 5.1 setup (the surrounds are not Salk) which is cool because movies/games is my primary concern vs music.

Like I said in the Salk forum, then go with the JTR's. The Salk's won't do reference levels without strain. They aren't designed for that.
post #5931 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyneric View Post

That lack of fatigue or high db shrill (for lack of a better word) is what I'm really after. I'm not going to lie, I'd love to take my system and push it to MY limit like RMK has from time to time but I enjoy most of my listening around or a little below reference. Perhaps this is because I don't feel comfortable with the sound I'm hearing above reference on most material. I think the lack of clarity and perceived muddiness from bipolar mains (BP30s) is what's really taking some of the impact away from movies. Dynamics, like JTRs can reproduce, are also something that I have yet to experience in an LCR.
I keep hearing people talk about turning up their systems louder and louder with new speakers and everything sounds just as clear and not fatiguing to listen to. I had previously assumed that this was directly attributable to the environment you were listening in (which I'm sure still has a huge impact) but the more I read, the more I think that moving to a speaker as capable as the T12 or neosis will reproduce the impact I've been looking for for years.
Has anyone on here heard a THT and had the chance to listen to JTR subs like the cap or OS? I'm curious if I'm still behind when it comes to my sub as well. I built the THT thinking I would at least have one component that could keep up with JTR mains but when I look at the specs of the OS or CapS2 I begin to drool and wonder what I'm missing in the bass department as well.

I heard a pair of THT's just last week. They were paired with some JBL Monitors and sounded great in a very small (approx 1000cf) dedicated HT room. I felt they got a little sloppy when playing at their limit but overall pretty good bang for the buck.

And yes, the room is a huge factor with any system. My "normal" listening levels are -7.5 to -12db ref: smile.gif.
post #5932 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

That's not the only reason he was kicked out, but it was part of it. Dave was into hard core drugs too, so that played its role. He also regularly picked fights with the band members, and he kicked Hetfield's dog while drunk one day. His temper and drug use is what got him booted.
Like I said in the Salk forum, then go with the JTR's. The Salk's won't do reference levels without strain. They aren't designed for that.
He never learned his lesson and still acts like that to this very day although it is worse when he drinks. Remeber Rikki Rackman (however its spelled) Dave started a fight with him that got physical back when MTV played Music videos.
I will Always and forever miss "The Headbangers Ball". It was the only way my WV butt got to hear New Music as we had one Rock station on the local radio. Now we have two !!!
That is the first time I got to hear GNR Appetite for Destruction.
Chris
post #5933 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post

Here's the thread for the potential upcoming Iowa meet featuring the JTR Noesis, dual S2's and the Salks.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/871474/ia-meet/3420#post_22658406
Hope to see ya there.
David

With dual S2's and the Noesis you just have to try The Art of Flight Deadmau5 segment loud (+10 ref otta do it smile.gif).
But if you try that with your Salks, be sure the guys in the front row bring their mitts ... so they can catch the Salk tweeters tongue.gif
post #5934 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

With dual S2's and the Noesis you just have to try The Art of Flight Deadmau5 segment loud (+10 ref otta do it smile.gif).
But if you try that with your Salks, be sure the guys in the front row bring their mitts ... so they can catch the Salk tweeters tongue.gif

Probably the woofers and crossover components too. biggrin.gif
post #5935 of 18412
I have little doubt that the JTR's will have the edge in the Salks in HT. I was at Jeff's shop about a month ago with my S2's and a pair of Noesis. We played the shoot out on Open Range and I have never felt my chest "thump" like that. Deep & intense. I brought the S2's home, bought Open Range and tried to replicate that feeling. Umm, no. Maybe it was my room, perhaps, but I will find out next week when I can compare the two side by side. Even more excited about the Odyssey amps driving them to a new level. But when I switch to 2 channel the Salks sound so silky smooth. Perhaps Jeff's new compression driver can narrow the gap.

Hopefully we get a good turnout. I'll start looking for some AT cloth. The date is still up in the air. Need the key players to attend.
post #5936 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

On another note, as far as music goes, I know I've stated that I mainly will be using this for movies/games/tv for the most part. But when I do listen to music, it isn't music with very much live instruments. What I man is I listen to more pop, hip-hop/rap, dance, spanish type of music rather than rock or very "instrument" full music.
I can appreciate and listen to just about anything that sounds good on my system, even rap music but I have not bought a rap CD since "The Chronic".
I am straight up Rock and Roll. I know that makes a huge difference when chosing a system. My experience with both going to and working concerts have given me my thirst for a Live just like being there experience. I am still overwhelmed by the reality my system produces. If one of my friends had the same rig and tried to explain this experience I would think they were full of sh-t !!
Like they say(whoever they are?) Ownership has its priviledges.
Chris
post #5937 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyneric View Post

That lack of fatigue or high db shrill (for lack of a better word) is what I'm really after. I'm not going to lie, I'd love to take my system and push it to MY limit like RMK has from time to time but I enjoy most of my listening around or a little below reference. Perhaps this is because I don't feel comfortable with the sound I'm hearing above reference on most material. I think the lack of clarity and perceived muddiness from bipolar mains (BP30s) is what's really taking some of the impact away from movies. Dynamics, like JTRs can reproduce, are also something that I have yet to experience in an LCR.
I keep hearing people talk about turning up their systems louder and louder with new speakers and everything sounds just as clear and not fatiguing to listen to. I had previously assumed that this was directly attributable to the environment you were listening in (which I'm sure still has a huge impact) but the more I read, the more I think that moving to a speaker as capable as the T12 or neosis will reproduce the impact I've been looking for for years.
Has anyone on here heard a THT and had the chance to listen to JTR subs like the cap or OS? I'm curious if I'm still behind when it comes to my sub as well. I built the THT thinking I would at least have one component that could keep up with JTR mains but when I look at the specs of the OS or CapS2 I begin to drool and wonder what I'm missing in the bass department as well.

I had a pair of F-20's which is similar horn loaded design to the THT. I am now on dual sealed18's (Kinda like the s2) and I have to say the added content <20hz is significant. What I DO miss still is the insane amount of midbass that the horns had. I currently have quad 2226 ported to take care of that part, so once again, I am pretty happy smile.gif The THT is a great sub though, the OS or the Cap would be a slight improvement IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

How would you say the ones I'm demo'ing would compare to the T8's?
And are you basically saying the T12's would blow the Salks that I'm going to listen to out of the park?
And I do see what you are saying about them being great for music. From my research I've done it seems that both B&W and Salk make great speakers, but that they both really shine in more of a musical environment over the HT environment. And like you said, not that they are BAD or anything for HT, just that there are better options out there.

If you listen to movies LOUUUUUDDD as you said, I would have to say yes. The Salks, as Nuance has stated, have to work pretty hard to play at reference. At that point you are going to see a lot of cone breakup on the mid, and the tweet will be screaming. Will it still sound better than what most are used to? Yes, but you run a speaker too hard like that for a long time, then POOF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

Asheville has been getting alot of good shows over the past several years. I know it is a Hippie magnet for Phish.
I do not go to hippie shows because I like my music and concerts with a healthy side of Violence !!!
Chris

Killswitch Engage tonight! InFlames and All Shall Perish February, Clutch day after Christmas, you said it brother, we are getting quite well known for the metal scene. Also, not all of us are hipnies!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Archaea - you remember how stressed I was at the blind GTG at my house when I was hoping so bad that the speaker I didn't like didn't end up being mine? That would be nothing compared to the stress I would feel at this GTG. eek.gifbiggrin.gif
While you are laughing over there, my palms are starting to sweat over here.
Seriously.... I'm scared to hear the Salks! Tell me everything will be ok...redface.gifwink.gifsmile.gif

Since no one else did: Everything will be ok. Also, so to allow more people that want to remain unbiased and "blind" perhaps you could help with changing out the speakers, that way you would know which is which playing and you mind would automatically start drawing conclusions before you even hear a note smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post

Here's the thread for the potential upcoming Iowa meet featuring the JTR Noesis, dual S2's and the Salks.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/871474/ia-meet/3420#post_22658406
Hope to see ya there.
David

This is awesome, and a little closer by, I will give it strong consideration smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

That's not the only reason he was kicked out, but it was part of it. Dave was into hard core drugs too, so that played its role. He also regularly picked fights with the band members, and he kicked Hetfield's dog while drunk one day. His temper and drug use is what got him booted.
Like I said in the Salk forum, then go with the JTR's. The Salk's won't do reference levels without strain. They aren't designed for that.

Hetfield shouldn't have had a dog to begin with. Lol, just kidding. Regardless, the move created two unique bands with two unique sounds and let everyone's creative juices really shine.
post #5938 of 18412
BeastAudio
It is no wonder we like the same type speaker systems since we listen to the same music. Clutch is one of my favorites. I worked my first Clutch show in 94 at a bar called Gumby's.
They have really progressed as a band but Binge and Purge along with a Shotgun Named Markus and Rock and Roll Outlaw are true metal. Give Karma to Burn a try songs 1-20.
Chris
post #5939 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I had a pair of F-20's which is similar horn loaded design to the THT. I am now on dual sealed18's (Kinda like the s2) and I have to say the added content <20hz is significant. What I DO miss still is the insane amount of midbass that the horns had. I currently have quad 2226 ported to take care of that part, so once again, I am pretty happy smile.gif The THT is a great sub though, the OS or the Cap would be a slight improvement IMO.
If you listen to movies LOUUUUUDDD as you said, I would have to say yes. The Salks, as Nuance has stated, have to work pretty hard to play at reference. At that point you are going to see a lot of cone breakup on the mid, and the tweet will be screaming. Will it still sound better than what most are used to? Yes, but you run a speaker too hard like that for a long time, then POOF.
Killswitch Engage tonight! InFlames and All Shall Perish February, Clutch day after Christmas, you said it brother, we are getting quite well known for the metal scene. Also, not all of us are hipnies!!!!
Since no one else did: Everything will be ok. Also, so to allow more people that want to remain unbiased and "blind" perhaps you could help with changing out the speakers, that way you would know which is which playing and you mind would automatically start drawing conclusions before you even hear a note smile.gif
This is awesome, and a little closer by, I will give it strong consideration smile.gif
Hetfield shouldn't have had a dog to begin with. Lol, just kidding. Regardless, the move created two unique bands with two unique sounds and let everyone's creative juices really shine.
LOL @ the dog comment. You're right about two cool bands being the the result, though. Speaking of bands, it's too bad In Flames has that "nu metal" sound now. Everything per Reroute To Remain is so good!
post #5940 of 18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

What, no love fro Dream Theater? They run circles around Metallica, IMO. smile.gif Their Live At Budokan Blue-Ray is outstanding.

I LOVE Dream Theater, always have. Check out the Awake album cover picture on my wall for proof!!



Still, nothing compares to these 3 albums:





DT of course crushes them in the technical playing ability. Lars vs. Mike Portnoy? Haha, even Lars knows he doesn't stack up. Lars was on an episode of That Metal Show and Portnoy was the guest drummer and when they go to commercial the guest shows off a bit, and as Portnoy is playing you can hear Lars say, "I quit".

I own every DT album there is and love most and at least like the rest. I feel their production peaked with their first 2 albums though, and everything after Metropolis pt. 2 the production has sounded "dead", something isn't quite right. I also own all of their concert dvd's as far as I know. All that said, I would choose Opeth as my 2nd favorite band all time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread