or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JTR speaker thread - Page 206

post #6151 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

So you got that buzz to go away? Really glad you are liking what you hear so far smile.gif It only gets better!

Brandon, good to hear from you. Yes, I figured it out. Had multiple outlets and once I plugged everything into the panamax the hum went away. I didn't ask questions as to why, I moved on smile.gif

Really happy with the JTR set-up so far. Of course I am missing a second S2 sub...which I have gotten much grief over in the "system congiruation" thread .
post #6152 of 18717
3 Noesis and 3 speaker stands shipped!! biggrin.gif

Merry Frickin Christmas to me!!! smile.gif
post #6153 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

So you got that buzz to go away? Really glad you are liking what you hear so far smile.gif It only gets better!

Brandon, good to hear from you. Yes, I figured it out. Had multiple outlets and once I plugged everything into the panamax the hum went away. I didn't ask questions as to why, I moved on smile.gif

Really happy with the JTR set-up so far. Of course I am missing a second S2 sub...which I have gotten much grief over in the "system congiruation" thread .

Are you really missing output, or is it that the front stage does not look symmetric? I feel like my single S2 has enough output for 2 of my rooms.
post #6154 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

Are you really missing output, or is it that the front stage does not look symmetric? I feel like my single S2 has enough output for 2 of my rooms.

Just caught some flack about the symmetry....mostly just good old AVS fun. The S2 has plenty of output in my room but it will likely grind on me mentally until I get the second S2 to complete the "look" of my room smile.gif
post #6155 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

3 Noesis and 3 speaker stands shipped!! biggrin.gif
Merry Frickin Christmas to me!!! smile.gif

awesome Carp. I'm not too far behind. Sold my T12's and 8's on Monday and ordered 3 Neosis and 2 single 8's for the rears (T8's were too big too hide). In the new set up none of my sats will be visible!
post #6156 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I admit that is a very cool effect and if the room is not just a dedicated movie watching room then might be worth the effort. Problem is, being a bit OCD I would be compelled to do an accurate star field and getting the constellations right would increase the complexity and installation time to an absurd level. smile.gif

O don't you worry, the next install will be fully done to the 9's. The different sized fibers really make the unit in the expensive ones. They give the near/far look to the roof. This was just to see how it would look etc. For $200 and some of my own time, the experiment went as well as I could have hoped.
post #6157 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

3 Noesis and 3 speaker stands shipped!! biggrin.gif
Merry Frickin Christmas to me!!! smile.gif

Merry Frickin Christmas to you Carp ... tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

awesome Carp. I'm not too far behind. Sold my T12's and 8's on Monday and ordered 3 Neosis and 2 single 8's for the rears (T8's were too big too hide). In the new set up none of my sats will be visible!

Great news guys. I guess Jeff is back in the saddle ... smile.gif

On the subject I had an "audiophile" friend over for a movie night last weekend and we ended up doing some 2 channel (subs included) listening with the Noesis. He brought some of his music and I gave him the remote. He has a Revel-Halcro 2 ch setup that is really nice (and expensive). I think he was very skeptical and at first, he seemed unimpressed but as he plowed deeper into his song list he began to take notice. He asked me take down the screen so he could see the speakers CD/Horn.

I have heard his system several times and was always impressed as he has a dedicatedwell treated room for listening (music only) but I think he saw and heard something that goes beyond what he is used to hearing. When I put on Art of Flight in 7.1 he was really blown away. Much of that impression was the power of the OS subs, but the clarity and detail of the Noesis also made a big impression.

Although he won't be selling his Revels, he was very impressed. He is thinking about building a dedicated HT and to quote him, he has "found his speakers" cool.gif.
Edited by RMK! - 12/18/12 at 5:52pm
post #6158 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

3 Noesis and 3 speaker stands shipped!! biggrin.gif
Merry Frickin Christmas to me!!! smile.gif

Sounds awesome carp. I am sure you will be in 7th heaven. Hopefully you have the week of for Christmas off to spend time with .....wait for it...wait for it ....FAMILY(nope), the new NOESIS!!!! smile.gif
post #6159 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Merry Frickin Christmas to you Carp ... tongue.gif
Great news guys. I guess Jeff is back in the saddle ... smile.gif
On the subject I had an "audiophile" friend over for a movie night last weekend and we ended up doing some 2 channel (subs included) listening with the Noesis. He brought some of his music and I gave him the remote. He has a Revel-Halcro 2 ch setup that is really nice (and expensive). I think he was very skeptical and at first, he seemed unimpressed but as he plowed deeper into his song list he began to take notice. He asked me take down the screen so he could see the speakers CD/Horn.
I have heard his system several times and was always impressed as he has a dedicatedwell treated room for listening (music only) but I think he saw and heard something that goes beyond what he is used to hearing. When I put on Art of Flight in 7.1 he was really blown away. Much of that impression was the power of the OS subs, but the clarity and detail of the Noesis also made a big impression.
Although he won't be selling his Revels, he was very impressed. He is thinking about building a dedicated HT and to quote him, he has "found his speakers" cool.gif.

I am really looking forward to trying them. I know I will be happy because I already was with the T12's If the sound gets more refined all the better as long as all the dynamics are still there. I am sure I would really like the sound quality of some of those audiophile type speakers but if they cant hit higher spl's I would get bored very quickly. On some recordings with my current set up It really sounds like a high end concert rig. I don't no the exact reasons why but music that is part of blu ray movie soundtracks always seem to sound the best. Rock of Ages blu ray sounds like an outdoor concert in the theater. It is quite amazing. Can't wait to see what the neosis do. After this I swear the next upgade is pre pro, No more speakers for a while!
post #6160 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

I am really looking forward to trying them. I know I will be happy because I already was with the T12's If the sound gets more refined all the better as long as all the dynamics are still there. I am sure I would really like the sound quality of some of those audiophile type speakers but if they cant hit higher spl's I would get bored very quickly. On some recordings with my current set up It really sounds like a high end concert rig. I don't no the exact reasons why but music that is part of blu ray movie soundtracks always seem to sound the best. Rock of Ages blu ray sounds like an outdoor concert in the theater. It is quite amazing. Can't wait to see what the neosis do. After this I swear the next upgade is pre pro, No more speakers for a while!

Having done the same "upgrade" I'm sure you will be pleased. What pre pro/AVR are you using?
post #6161 of 18717
Well I made the journey out to check out the Noesis on Sunday afternoon....

Jeff was gracious enough to put them through the paces for us, I walked away very impressed....

I'm certain they will end up in my room down the line, but there are other pressing issues I have to attend to before I can make the transition, namely Real Estate taxes first of the year as well as other priorities that have recently started to looming in the very near future of this country....

Thanks Jeff for being a great host, wish we could have stayed longer but I needed to change my underwear after that audition.... smile.gif
post #6162 of 18717
Well, I just ordered about 10 blu ray concerts off Amazon. I expect to spend my Christmas break hiding from the family and joying the man cave smile.gif
post #6163 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Having done the same "upgrade" I'm sure you will be pleased. What pre pro/AVR are you using?

right now the Emotiva UMC-1. Want to look at the XMC-1 if it ever comes out or might go with something like you have or a Marantz that has XT32. Do you like your Integra?
post #6164 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Well, I just ordered about 10 blu ray concerts off Amazon. I expect to spend my Christmas break hiding from the family and joying the man cave smile.gif

What disks did you order?
post #6165 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Well, I just ordered about 10 blu ray concerts off Amazon. I expect to spend my Christmas break hiding from the family and joying the man cave smile.gif
From the start I expected the T12's to perform extremely well for HT use but concert BRs and DVDs is where I was and still am just blown away.
It is just like being there with no crowd. Better than live.
Whenever I demo my system to others it starts and ends with concert DVDs. Movies are sweet but the concert experience is the MoneyShot.
Enjoy
Chris

The HT movie experience is where the T12 really shines and performs best. I was just not ready or it was so unexpected how great the music sounds.
Edited by countryWV - 12/19/12 at 2:59pm
post #6166 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfermafia View Post

What disks did you order?

Going from memory:

NIN
Sting
Peter Gabriel
John Mayer
Dave Mathews and Tim Reynolds
Crossroad guitar festival 2010
David Gilmour
Cold Play
25 anni rock and roll hall of fame

I think there were others but I can't remember mad.gif Also have several movies lined up for next week (on top of the 6 movies I already watched last weekend) including Bourne Identity 4, Ted, Expendables 2, Total Recall, Prometheus, etc.... I purposelly held off on watching movies over the last month while my theater was being completed so I could go on a blu ray fest when it was ready smile.gif

I had kind put off my love for music off the last 2 years as my last set-up had all Thiel in wall speakers which were great for HT but music was just not the same as my previous Paradigm Reference set-up. Now with the JTRs, I am getting back into music and forgot how much I loved listening to it. Last night I put in my Ted Hawkins cd and could just sit there and listen to it for hours...so I did.
Edited by Frohlich - 12/19/12 at 11:17am
post #6167 of 18717
Throw in
The Eagles both "Hell Freezes Over" and "Live at Melborne". They are JTR owners prerequisites.
MTV Unplugged both "Alice in Chains" and "Nirvana". Very Emotional and impressive recordings.
Chris
post #6168 of 18717
Any word on an T8 version of the Noesis? My room is only 11' x 26' divided in half for the living room and dining room. I thing T12's might be too much speaker for my room.
post #6169 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Going from memory:
NIN
Sting
Peter Gabriel
John Mayer
Dave Mathews and Tim Reynolds
Crossroad guitar festival 2010
David Gilmour
Cold Play
25 anni rock and roll hall of fame
I think there were others but I can't remember mad.gif Also have several movies lined up for next week (on top of the 6 movies I already watched last weekend) including Bourne Identity 4, Ted, Expendables 2, Total Recall, Prometheus, etc.... I purposelly held off on watching movies over the last month while my theater was being completed so I could go on a blu ray fest when it was ready smile.gif
I had kind put off my love for music off the last 2 years as my last set-up had all Thiel in wall speakers which were great for HT but music was just not the same as my previous Paradigm Reference set-up. Now with the JTRs, I am getting back into music and forgot how much I loved listening to it. Last night I put in my Ted Hawkins cd and could just sit there and listen to it for hours...so I did.

of those I have NIN Beside You In Time and it is awesome. Like Chris said some of the blu ray concert music is great. I still find the movie industry to have better overall consistency though with sound reproduction and it seems to hold true for music too (soundtracks) but I think the blu ray concerts can be great but a little more hi and miss. I love ACDC but not overall impressed with the SQ of the blu ray "No Bull". I need to get that Eagles In Melbourne BR.
post #6170 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Noah_ View Post

Any word on an T8 version of the Noesis? My room is only 11' x 26' divided in half for the living room and dining room. I thing T12's might be too much speaker for my room.

I wonder if that CD will fit into anything close to the current T8 cabinent. I doubt it.
post #6171 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

I wonder if that CD will fit into anything close to the current T8 cabinent. I doubt it.

I think Jeff said it would not fit in the current T8 cab. The Pro Noesis 3TX has dual 10" woofers and the bigger horn loaded 1.4" CD and only ways 50lbs. I've been kicking the thought around.
post #6172 of 18717
So I got my Noesis today! Good news, they sound great with the Q8s I had made. I'm sure if ever Jeff came out with a version with the CD that would fit under my screen I'd likely get it but only for the hell of it, I don't feel they sound that much different and with a few movie clips I watched, no one would know they are different. Beauty!

so the good things I like so far, They make my crap recordings sound like complete garbage lol. They have better imaging that the T12's did. Very sharp/crisp notes in music and for movies. Now for the Bad, The midbass (or whatever you want to call that region (140hz to 70hz)) is ummmmm..... useless IMO. If I was ever to run these without a sub, I'd send them back. I'm not sure if it's just the fact I had my T12's and they were ported but I don't feel the Noesis at all. I even hooked up my clone amps to them as it still wasn't that great. It's nothing to do with my setup or electronics, this isn't my first rodeo, I know what to do and to look for. They just don't have any oomph that I was hoping for....... Good thing I don't listen to 2 channel and made my 2242H mid helpers. With the 2242H's in the mix, it's mind blowing! I'm sure glad I made them (though with my big subs, it sounded almost as good). Keep in mine thats only with a few hours of messing around, I still and very happy with them, I'd just NEVER run them without a sub. I know others view may vary, the ported version may have been a better choice but it's a moot point since I will always run them with a sub or my 2242's. I do think my Q8s would not have sounded as good with the ported versions. IMO it sounds better with the Noesis than with the S8's I had as stand in's.
post #6173 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

So I got my Noesis today! Good news, they sound great with the Q8s I had made. I'm sure if ever Jeff came out with a version with the CD that would fit under my screen I'd likely get it but only for the hell of it, I don't feel they sound that much different and with a few movie clips I watched, no one would know they are different. Beauty!
so the good things I like so far, They make my crap recordings sound like complete garbage lol. They have better imaging that the T12's did. Very sharp/crisp notes in music and for movies. Now for the Bad, The midbass (or whatever you want to call that region (140hz to 70hz)) is ummmmm..... useless IMO. If I was ever to run these without a sub, I'd send them back. I'm not sure if it's just the fact I had my T12's and they were ported but I don't feel the Noesis at all. I even hooked up my clone amps to them as it still wasn't that great. It's nothing to do with my setup or electronics, this isn't my first rodeo, I know what to do and to look for. They just don't have any oomph that I was hoping for....... Good thing I don't listen to 2 channel and made my 2242H mid helpers. With the 2242H's in the mix, it's mind blowing! I'm sure glad I made them (though with my big subs, it sounded almost as good). Keep in mine thats only with a few hours of messing around, I still and very happy with them, I'd just NEVER run them without a sub. I know others view may vary, the ported version may have been a better choice but it's a moot point since I will always run them with a sub or my 2242's. I do think my Q8s would not have sounded as good with the ported versions. IMO it sounds better with the Noesis than with the S8's I had as stand in's.

Interesting. I am about to order my Neosis and have not decided between ported and sealed. They will be right next to side wall so I was leaning toward sealed and they are slightly smaller. Maybe its better to go over kill on the midbass, easier to cut vs tring to boost. I'm not sure which one. I guess RMK also went from vented T12 to sealed Neosis but didn't think he had the same issue unless I missed some of the posts.

thanks Nate for the info, look forward to hearing more from you after some more lstening.
post #6174 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

Throw in
The Eagles both "Hell Freezes Over" and "Live at Melborne". They are JTR owners prerequisites.
MTV Unplugged both "Alice in Chains" and "Nirvana". Very Emotional and impressive recordings.
Chris

Thanks Chris. I will have to put those in my Amazon queue.
post #6175 of 18717
I took a sinister pic cool.gif This is my fav pic of the HT so far, I just like the way the shadows are on the speakers and how dark it looks.



Well, after a few more hours cranking out tunes, These are for sure the best sounding speakers I've ever owned, bar none. The detail, soundstage etc, just amazing like REALLY amazing biggrin.gif I still feel the same way about the midbass but I'm not all that worried because with the subs, it's hair standing on end good!
post #6176 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I took a sinister pic cool.gif This is my fav pic of the HT so far, I just like the way the shadows are on the speakers and how dark it looks.

Well, after a few more hours cranking out tunes, These are for sure the best sounding speakers I've ever owned, bar none. The detail, soundstage etc, just amazing like REALLY amazing biggrin.gif I still feel the same way about the midbass but I'm not all that worried because with the subs, it's hair standing on end good!

Looks awesome. Sure they sound awesome as well. Seems like the Noesis are getting very favorable reviews so far here on AVS.
post #6177 of 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

Interesting. I am about to order my Neosis and have not decided between ported and sealed. They will be right next to side wall so I was leaning toward sealed and they are slightly smaller. Maybe its better to go over kill on the midbass, easier to cut vs tring to boost. I'm not sure which one. I guess RMK also went from vented T12 to sealed Neosis but didn't think he had the same issue unless I missed some of the posts.
thanks Nate for the info, look forward to hearing more from you after some more lstening.

My initial impression was similar to Nates when I ran them without the subs. It's interesting because they have the same woofers (i.e. mid-bass driver) as the Triple 12's. The CD handles both midrange (400hz to 5Khz) and the high frequencies (up to 22Khz.). It may be an issue of the vented vs the sealed as the vented do have more midbass.

I went with the sealed due to the smaller size giving me a little more room behind the screen. I would not change as they are the best sounding speakers I have owned and I will always play them with subs.
post #6178 of 18717
Ya for sure, with subs they are simply outstanding! I was only commenting on them without since it was how I tried them first. Even powering them with the clones and 4400 watts a side, the bass drivers didn't do a whole lot. I ran them full range and even EQ'd them for kicks, still nothing to impressive. I found that the mid was so direct, it made you feel like there was something pecking at my brain from the inside. If anyone wants to know what I mean, throw in Cypress hill's "spark another owl" and you'll see what I mean. It surprised the hell out of me LOL!! I'm just about to sit down and watch Men in Black 3 with the wife. Even she is excited!!
post #6179 of 18717
With the sealed T12's my crossover is best at 80hz based on REW and listening sessions. here is my in room response with T12lp, no subs, no eq 1/6 smoothed. The whole first row has that increase at 125hz (probably floor bounce). I may stay with the sealed. Probably talk to Jeff one more time when I order them tomorrow.



post #6180 of 18717
With the ported Noesis I thought the mid-bass was outstanding. I posted about it a few weeks ago, but at first I actually had more bass running the Noesis as large no sub than I did with running them small + dual Submersives.

Now, a couple of disclaimers to add about that.

1. That was with the Submersives running flat with the speakers.

2. That was with rock/metal music that doesn't have much lower bass.


Still, it was clear as day and very obvious that when I switched from small+subs to large no subs on my receiver the bass was fuller and sounded better.


I knew that meant I had to have some cancellation/phase issues going on around the crossover so I played with the distance settings for the sub for a long time until I got it right. In the end when I got the subs dialed in just right the bass sounded almost the same with and without the subs with the edge going to the subs but not by much.

Again, that was non low bass heavy metal/hard rock music, for Archaea type music and movies it would have been no contest.


Getting my speakers tomorrow, took the day off. However, I didn't take it off for that reason. My 7 year old daughter fell off the monkey bars and broke her ulna and radius clean through, so she's in a full arm cast. I'll be staying home to take care of her tomorrow.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread