or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JTR speaker thread - Page 214

post #6391 of 18665
I've run 2 horns, an IB and 4 sealed subs at once before. It's took quite a bit of messing around to get the horns to play nice but the sealed and IB subs were a breeze. I don't see any problems getting everything to work if you have the right gear to do so (minidsp, dcx 2496 etc)
post #6392 of 18665
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile

It can be frustrating trying to use a typical processor to get the proper setting for the JTR stuff. I struggled with it for a while and thanks to someone who knew more about this stuff it's pretty dialed in now and rocks.
Having the mains at -12 is exactly how it started with mine. After a proper setup they are now at -6.5 and the sub at +2.
You will love the JTR setup once it's dialed in.

What did you do to accomplish this? adjust amp gain? Toe-in? move the speakers or the LP further distance away? There are many options to achieve the end-result you have, just interested in what you did to get there as it might help otherbeast out


OK, I will try and remember all the previous settings. When I bought all this equipment I recently moved and hired an audio install company to hook up everything, run the wires, install the IR remote, etc. What they did well was run the wires and program the remote. What they did not so well is EQ everything and make this system shine. Understand they were completely unfamiliar with JTR and pro style stuff.

Audyssey had the JTR LCR at -12.5 and the rear B&W's at +5 or so. They had the Crest CC4000 amp dials at about 10 o'clock cutting out a lot of the signal. Either the install guys or Audyssey had the 2 Caps at +9.5, Looking back now I know why at modest volume the subs were bottoming out.

Thankfully Andrew came over and reran Audyssey and put the dials on the Crest at full 5 oclock and backed off as needed. Audyssey put the LCR's at -6 and the rears at +4 and the subs at 0. This allowed the Crest to be backed off to about 3 o'clock and bumped the subs to +1.5 and if I want up to +2.5 to really crank the music.

What we got was a much better sound, a fuller sound, no more bottoming out of the subs and no more too highs from the JTR's. It really rocks now and I am a much happier camper with the setup. I now am not looking to move up to the Neosis but rather get more bass.

Heading to Gorilla83's place tomorrow to check out his DIY subs. I can't DIY it but might buy two CHT 18.2 subs with the goal of buying 2 more in the near future. Guess I "need" a clone amp too.

Stay tuned, my passive Caps may be for sale by the end of the weekend!
post #6393 of 18665
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile
Stay tuned, my passive Caps may be for sale by the end of the weekend!

Man, lots of selling going on out there... speaking of which I just put up one of my Submersives for sale.
post #6394 of 18665
Yea, I'm suddenly on a mission for more bass now that the triple 12's are sounding awesome.

Something tells me I'll be ordering 2 of the CHT 18.2's and hopefully 2 more in the future and maybe a clone amp. Since I can't DIY it I've got to buy it!
post #6395 of 18665
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Man, lots of selling going on out there... speaking of which I just put up one of my Submersives for sale.

Interesting. What is your plan for more bass?
post #6396 of 18665
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

Interesting. What is your plan for more bass?

DIY, either Dayton or SI 18"s. I'm going to buy 8 of them and do single enclosures. I'll stack 4 on each side of my screen, 22" boxes. DIY, here I come... oh boy...
post #6397 of 18665
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

DIY, either Dayton or SI 18"s. I'm going to buy 8 of them and do single enclosures. I'll stack 4 on each side of my screen, 22" boxes. DIY, here I come... oh boy...

Have you considered an LMS5400 build?
post #6398 of 18665
Dayton and SI drivers seem to have taken the spot light. Takes ~2 ish drivers to equal an LMS-5400 performance at 1/2 the cost and utilizing 1/2 the amplifier power. The LMS-5400 driver is still a king --- but if you don't have space concerns the Dayton 18" and the SI 18" can be a very viable options it seems.
post #6399 of 18665
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

DIY, either Dayton or SI 18"s. I'm going to buy 8 of them and do single enclosures. I'll stack 4 on each side of my screen, 22" boxes. DIY, here I come... oh boy...

Carp - I'm going to assume you've already seen this:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-packs-1/subwoofer-flatpacks-2/4-sub-flat-pack.html

Erich should have them in Baltic birch very soon as well. They will fit the LMS, Dayton, and SI.
post #6400 of 18665
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Man, lots of selling going on out there... speaking of which I just put up one of my Submersives for sale.
SMH !!!eek.gif Cesar mallan (dog whisperer) has a technic were he uses 2 fingers to pinch the dogs neck to take the dog out of the moment and calm down. (it is called "Tsst" on South Park)
Mabey that trick could work on you.tongue.gif I do look forward to seeing how this all turns out. If it works I may add a few myself but I can't see parting with my Submersives. wink.gif
Thanks for keeping things interesting.

SeaNile
Carp has a SubM HP for sale. smile.gif
Check and see what the statis of CHT is. Last I read they were going out of business.
PowerSound Audio has some great value subs. Since you have an amp a used ported cap with 18" driver would be nice. Much better design than the PR Cap.
Chris
Edited by countryWV - 12/28/12 at 6:17am
post #6401 of 18665
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

DIY, either Dayton or SI 18"s. I'm going to buy 8 of them and do single enclosures. I'll stack 4 on each side of my screen, 22" boxes. DIY, here I come... oh boy...

well thatshould take things to the next level.biggrin.gif
post #6402 of 18665
So last night I messed with settings quite a bit. I changed the crossover on the bass to be 120hz (forget what it was set to - it was either the top or bottom option). I also changed the channel levels to that of what Seanile recommended with -6.5 for the LCR and +2 for the bass, and turned the gain knobs all the way up on my sub. I also fixed the dip switches on my amp as recommended in the manual (which was the same as default other than turning the clipping limiter on).

After doing that and tweaking it a little bit moving the db levels of the speakers around just a bit i think i found a sweet spot that I like. I watched the same scenes from the Dark Knight and I liked how it sounded better. The bass definitely sounded smoother, as it blended in more as opposed to feeling like "yea that is the sub and it's definitely louder than the other speakers" if you know what I mean. I also watched Saving Private Ryan opening scene and a few scenes from 300 (which BTW is a bad transfer bluray).

So far so good! I'm definitely liking everything A LOT.

This weekend I'm probably going to be doing some more tweaking as well just because I like to tinker around with stuff lol. The only thing I'm worried about now is I feel like the structural integrity of my house should be of concern with some of the bass notes these subs can hit. I hope my house doesn't collapse on me while I'm in the basement watching movies!
post #6403 of 18665
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

So last night I messed with settings quite a bit. I changed the crossover on the bass to be 120hz (forget what it was set to - it was either the top or bottom option). I also changed the channel levels to that of what Seanile recommended with -6.5 for the LCR and +2 for the bass, and turned the gain knobs all the way up on my sub. I also fixed the dip switches on my amp as recommended in the manual (which was the same as default other than turning the clipping limiter on).
After doing that and tweaking it a little bit moving the db levels of the speakers around just a bit i think i found a sweet spot that I like. I watched the same scenes from the Dark Knight and I liked how it sounded better. The bass definitely sounded smoother, as it blended in more as opposed to feeling like "yea that is the sub and it's definitely louder than the other speakers" if you know what I mean. I also watched Saving Private Ryan opening scene and a few scenes from 300 (which BTW is a bad transfer bluray).
So far so good! I'm definitely liking everything A LOT.
This weekend I'm probably going to be doing some more tweaking as well just because I like to tinker around with stuff lol. The only thing I'm worried about now is I feel like the structural integrity of my house should be of concern with some of the bass notes these subs can hit. I hope my house doesn't collapse on me while I'm in the basement watching movies!

Sounds great Purbeast. For whatever reason, my new JTRs worked great after the first Audessey settings. Is there room for improvement..... Probably but very happy as it is so leaving it alone for now.
post #6404 of 18665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Sounds great Purbeast. For whatever reason, my new JTRs worked great after the first Audessey settings. Is there room for improvement..... Probably but very happy as it is so leaving it alone for now.

That is how I feel. Like I am sure there is some room for improvement somewhere, but my ears are not trained well enough to know this and it sounds amazing to me. I'm just amazed at how awesome they sound though. The major area I noticed that sounds REALLY crisp and clear is when things like glass breaks or just a lot of things crashing (that aren't involving bass and coming out of the mains) and how clean it sounds. There were some scenes in The Dark Knight that I noticed this and was like damn, I can almost feel the glass piercing my ears.
post #6405 of 18665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Carp - I'm going to assume you've already seen this:
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-packs-1/subwoofer-flatpacks-2/4-sub-flat-pack.html
Erich should have them in Baltic birch very soon as well. They will fit the LMS, Dayton, and SI.

Yeah, that's going to be a possibility for sure, although with 8 boxes the savings could add up pretty quick to cut the wood myself - ha, with help that is.
post #6406 of 18665
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

SMH !!!eek.gif Cesar mallan (dog whisperer) has a technic were he uses 2 fingers to pinch the dogs neck to take the dog out of the moment and calm down. (it is called "Tsst" on South Park)
Mabey that trick could work on you.tongue.gif I do look forward to seeing how this all turns out. If it works I may add a few myself but I can't see parting with my Submersives. wink.gif
Thanks for keeping things interesting.
SeaNile
Carp has a SubM HP for sale. smile.gif
Check and see what the statis of CHT is. Last I read they were going out of business.
PowerSound Audio has some great value subs. Since you have an amp a used ported cap with 18" driver would be nice. Much better design than the PR Cap.
Chris

HA!

Yeah I may need a subwoofer whisperer before this is all over.
post #6407 of 18665
Carp, I like the look of your room with the Noesis. Very nice! You could move your rack and put a couple of infinite baffle manifolds in that space. Keep the dual Submersives stacked on the other side or placed elsewhere in the room. Add four Fi Car Audio IB318 drivers in two dual opposed manifolds in the front left and you will be in bass heaven. eek.gif The manifolds are easier to build than subs.
post #6408 of 18665
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

Carp, I like the look of your room with the Noesis. Very nice! You could move your rack and put a couple of infinite baffle manifolds in that space. Keep the dual Submersives stacked on the other side or placed elsewhere in the room. Add four Fi Car Audio IB318 drivers in two dual opposed manifolds in the front left and you will be in bass heaven. eek.gif The manifolds are easier to build than subs.

If I had a suspended floor I think I would go IB to get something like what I"ve heard that you have in your room. I love that floor shaking feeling. However, using the room next to my room for IB would mean even more bass throughout the house which is a no go.

Yeah, the Noesis look nice and all, but I really miss my sit 'n spin speaker stands. wink.gifsmile.gif
post #6409 of 18665
You aren't going to get much more bass through your house than you will by adding more subwoofers. wink.gif My levels haven't changed in the other parts of my main floor, even though the crawlspace/basement extends under it. I think it is actually quieter than it was with the ported or dual opposed subs I had. The IB system, even at high levels and even when the floor is shaking, doesn't resonate stuff in the rest of the house like my other subs did.
post #6410 of 18665
Quote:
I hope my house doesn't collapse on me while I'm in the basement watching movies!

I am worried about this all the time. I've even had nightmares.
post #6411 of 18665
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

well thatshould take things to the next level.biggrin.gif

Really?, I wonder ... confused.gif

While I'm sure it would be a good learning experience and justifiable on that level alone, the "next level" is very subjective. smile.gif
post #6412 of 18665
FYI- My 2 Caps are now listed for sale! Not going to make the move to the Neosis now that my system is dialed in. Looking to make a move in the bass dept.
post #6413 of 18665
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

You aren't going to get much more bass through your house than you will by adding more subwoofers. wink.gif My levels haven't changed in the other parts of my main floor, even though the crawlspace/basement extends under it. I think it is actually quieter than it was with the ported or dual opposed subs I had. The IB system, even at high levels and even when the floor is shaking, doesn't resonate stuff in the rest of the house like my other subs did.


lies


i'm pretty sure the couch was bouncing across your living room last time I was over.


or maybe that was just my eyeballs.


By the way --- you owe me a phone call!
post #6414 of 18665
The couch was probably bouncing - and that was with you and two others sitting on it! biggrin.gif You had better update the Omaha Tour thread before you go to the GTG next week. tongue.gif

I sent you a PM.
post #6415 of 18665
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

FYI- My 2 Caps are now listed for sale! Not going to make the move to the Neosis now that my system is dialed in. Looking to make a move in the bass dept.

Wow those are NOT going to last long at that price. I bought Gorilla83's for $2250 and thought that was a hell of a deal!
post #6416 of 18665
That price may start a bidding war, I sold my dual Caps for 2400.
post #6417 of 18665
I have no idea what to ask for them so I started there. Hopefully they sell quickly.
post #6418 of 18665
I felt bad for all these sales of Caps so I just ordered another S2 from Jeff. He said it would take a few weeks. That embarrasing empty space between my center channel and left channel should be filled smile.gif

Now I will have my wall of sound with at most an inch between speakers tongue.gif


post #6419 of 18665
In all fairness my Caps are the model before the new updated drivers. Good news is my Caps can accommodate the new drivers should the new buyer feel the need to upgrade to the newer driver.

Just curious, how would I go about shipping these 2 Caps? I've got the boxes but clueless about which carrier, prices, etc.
post #6420 of 18665
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

Wow those are NOT going to last long at that price. I bought Gorilla83's for $2250 and thought that was a hell of a deal!

Keep in mind John's are the prior passive radiator version with the smaller driver. Still a great buy, but I have yet to see any 2011+ model Caps sell for less than what you got yours for. biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread