or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JTR speaker thread - Page 229

post #6841 of 18388
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Actually, we will have similar output. We tested a dual opposed 18" dayton sub (the dayton drivers are tested to be almost exactly like mine) and the output was just a touch more than my Submersive. 2 Submersives have the same output as 1 Cap Sealed 2. So, it would take 4 of my drivers to have a bit more output than 1 of your S2's.

So, 8 SI drivers equals a bit more than 2 Cap S2's.

The reason why I went this route was the price. I paid 1400 dollars shipped for all 8 drivers. If I could have afforded it I would have just bought 2 more Submersives and had quads, instead I'm selling the Submersives to fund this project. I already sold one, and if I like what I hear with the first couple SI subs I'll sell the other Submersive.

2 SI drivers have more output than a single LMS 5400 which should have more output than a cap sealed driver. So yeah, your 8 subs would have more output than dual Cap2's. How much is guessing but I will say maybe 2-3 dBs at 10hz.
post #6842 of 18388
I have a Noesis question. To current owners, I know they get get great reviews. I am honestly 99% HT and gaming. I do listening to music but not all that critically or for long durations. So if the Noesis is a nice step up from the T12s for music...is the jump nearly as big for movies? It is been my experience from past speakers I have owned, that for two channel music, the speaker differences were pretty significant but for HT comparisons, those same speakers sounded a lot closer to each other. Do you agree that is the case with the Noesis?
post #6843 of 18388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

I have a Noesis question. To current owners, I know they get get great reviews. I am honestly 99% HT and gaming. I do listening to music but not all that critically or for long durations. So if the Noesis is a nice step up from the T12s for music...is the jump nearly as big for movies? It is been my experience from past speakers I have owned, that for two channel music, the speaker differences were pretty significant but for HT comparisons, those same speakers sounded a lot closer to each other. Do you agree that is the case with the Noesis?

Great question....I am wondering the same thing myself. Is the difference in the sound going to be worth the price difference.. If the price difference was much less, then I wouldn't be questioning it that much.. I am 100% movies myself.
post #6844 of 18388
I have older Triple 12LF's for LCR and my only desire to upgrade is due to music and concert DVD's. These speakers are incredible when watching TV, movies, etc. If I were only movies, gaming and TV the move to Noesis wouldn't be tempting at all.
post #6845 of 18388
I haven't heard the t12's, only the t8's but yes the difference is significant between the 888's and the Noesis on movies/tv.

The very first time I hooked up the Noesis (loaner pair) in my room I used one of them as the center channel to see how it did with voices. The Sunday night football preview was on and immediately when I hooked up the Noesis the sound was so good, and it was just Al Michaels talking for gods sake - truly, it was obvious how great these speakers sound just from watching tv. Voices just sound... real, like they are in the room. Very cool.

Like I said though, I have no experience with the t12's.
post #6846 of 18388
I have the 2009 triple 12s & been wanting the noesis cant afford them,wonder if I could get one and use it for center ch,would it sound bad with the older 12s for L-R?
post #6847 of 18388
I guess the obvious answer is if a speaker sounds better ... it sounds better for all material. Critical music listening is not something I do much of but the Noesis sound as good or better than anything I have heard with music.

I know the Triple 12's very well and had I never caught the Noesis bug, I'd be living happily with and loving the Triple12's. Does that help? wink.gif
post #6848 of 18388
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I guess the obvious answer is if a speaker sounds better ... it sounds better for all material. Critical music listening is not something I do much of but the Noesis sound as good or better than anything I have heard with music.

I know the Triple 12's very well and had I never caught the Noesis bug, I'd be living happily with and loving the Triple12's. Does that help? wink.gif

NO!!! rolleyes.gifwink.gifsmile.gif

Truth is I have only had the T12s for a little over a month and love them....but like any good addicted AVS member I am always looking at "whats next". Good news (for my wallet) is golf season starts soon which is my other addiction and I usually lay off the HT purchases and save those for winter time.
post #6849 of 18388
Going back and forth between the T8'S/T12's or the Noesis has been quite exhausting for sure. I have a T12 demo tomorrow, which should either help tremendously or increase the challenge of picking which model to go with...

Maybe I won't like the sound at all and stick with my Klipsch speakers.rolleyes.gif..
post #6850 of 18388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

NO!!! rolleyes.gifwink.gifsmile.gif

Truth is I have only had the T12s for a little over a month and love them....but like any good addicted AVS member I am always looking at "whats next". Good news (for my wallet) is golf season starts soon which is my other addiction and I usually lay off the HT purchases and save those for winter time.

Ain't that the truth! Golf and boating season is around the corner for me.
post #6851 of 18388
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

Ain't that the truth! Golf and boating season is around the corner for me.

Ok, are we the same person eek.gifsmile.gif

Seems our rooms look similar, we have a similar JTR speaker line-up and we have the same hobbies. I already planned two golf trips for this year. One in the Spring to Tennesse and one in August up to Michigan.
post #6852 of 18388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Ok, are we the same person eek.gifsmile.gif

Seems our rooms look similar, we have a similar JTR speaker line-up and we have the same hobbies. I already planned two golf trips for this year. One in the Spring to Tennesse and one in August up to Michigan.

What part of Tennessee?

Lots of good golf down here... I grew up on a golf course(Western Hills Country Club) and I have found the golf in the Knoxville area to be excellent and MUCH cheaper than up in Ohio..
post #6853 of 18388
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

What part of Tennessee?

Lots of good golf down here... I grew up on a golf course(Western Hills Country Club) and I have found the golf in the Knoxville area to be excellent and MUCH cheaper than up in Ohio..

The Michigan trip is booked. We are heading to Augusta, Michigan to play Yarrow and The Gull Lake courses. 36 holes a day for 4 days...gets tiring but its also a blast. The Tennesse trip will likely be to Crossville with some buddies from work but we haven't officially booked that trip yet. Looking at playing Stonehenge and Bear Trace as well as some others. Likely be three days worth of golf.
post #6854 of 18388
Crossville... Golf capital of Tennessee. I am out there all the time for work and have played there one time..

The last golf trip I took we did 27 holes a day for four days.... Great time!
post #6855 of 18388
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

After reading and looking at the subs you guys have my 2 svs subs with duel 12 in drivers seams like babies,but my room is only 11.5 x 23 x 8 ft

My room is about the same, just love bass.

Enough talk about golf, you guys are making me antsy...
post #6856 of 18388
Seems there is some commonalty here. You guys should make a run out to the Monterey Peninsula and we can meet up for a few expensive rounds at some of the best courses in the world.

I used to play a lot (played in College) but now it's business golf only. Muscle memory is fading due to lack of playing let alone practice but I can still get it done on occasion. wink.gif

Oh, and just to rub it in although this isn't Florida, it's always golf season here in California ...
Edited by RMK! - 1/18/13 at 12:41pm
post #6857 of 18388
Sounds like we could do an all JTR golf outing eek.gifsmile.gif
post #6858 of 18388
I am game......no pun attended!
post #6859 of 18388
I own the Academy of Golf Dynamics....a Golf Magazine Top 25 golf school.....if y'all want to work on your games too! lmao wink.gif
post #6860 of 18388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

I have a Noesis question. To current owners, I know they get get great reviews. I am honestly 99% HT and gaming. I do listening to music but not all that critically or for long durations. So if the Noesis is a nice step up from the T12s for music...is the jump nearly as big for movies? It is been my experience from past speakers I have owned, that for two channel music, the speaker differences were pretty significant but for HT comparisons, those same speakers sounded a lot closer to each other. Do you agree that is the case with the Noesis?

this is the same question I had although I do listen to a lot of music too, I was still curious if the difference would be more noticeable in music or movies. I had the T12lp LCR and am moving to the vented Neosis 212. I should be able to give you my opinion in about 2-3 weeks time.
post #6861 of 18388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Sounds like we could do an all JTR golf outing eek.gifsmile.gif

Humm, JTR open house this summer and a couple of days of G in the greater Madison area? Must be some nice courses in the area.

Or go to Austin (maybe not middle of summer wink.gif). Some great courses there.
post #6862 of 18388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

2 SI drivers have more output than a single LMS 5400 which should have more output than a cap sealed driver. So yeah, your 8 subs would have more output than dual Cap2's. How much is guessing but I will say maybe 2-3 dBs at 10hz.

How would that 8 sub set up compare to 1 OS in the 20-80hz range. I know Jeff said it would take 2 Cap S2's to equal 1 OS in that freq range.
post #6863 of 18388
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

this is the same question I had although I do listen to a lot of music too, I was still curious if the difference would be more noticeable in music or movies. I had the T12lp LCR and am moving to the vented Neosis 212. I should be able to give you my opinion in about 2-3 weeks time.

Are you saying your audio memory is better than mine? mad.gifwink.gif

The guy that bought my Triple 12's is willing to bring them back for an AB test. He is having surgery next Friday and will be down for a few weeks but we were thinking late Feb, early March would work.
post #6864 of 18388
In all fairness, I do play golf but just started last July. I've got about 10 rounds under my belt and I am terrible at this point. Joined my local CC and hope to get out there a few times a week once spring comes. Being is sales has it's perks! Also will take a few lessons once the weather warms up a bit.

I'm strongly considering a 7-10 day trip to London/Dublin/Paris to see Roger Waters perform The Wall a few more times but if I do not do that a golf/stereo trip sounds like fun. If you guys ever make it out the the Philadelphia area we could hit my country club and then go and hang out on the boat.
post #6865 of 18388
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

In all fairness, I do play golf but just started last July. I've got about 10 rounds under my belt and I am terrible at this point. Joined my local CC and hope to get out there a few times a week once spring comes. Being is sales has it's perks! Also will take a few lessons once the weather warms up a bit.

I'm strongly considering a 7-10 day trip to London/Dublin/Paris to see Roger Waters perform The Wall a few more times but if I do not do that a golf/stereo trip sounds like fun. If you guys ever make it out the the Philadelphia area we could hit my country club and then go and hang out on the boat.

If I'm Roger Waters, I'd be startin to get a little nervous about you SeaNIle ... tongue.gifwink.gif
post #6866 of 18388
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

I own the Academy of Golf Dynamics....a Golf Magazine Top 25 golf school.....if y'all want to work on your games too! lmao wink.gif

Wait, you OWN the school? I am definitely in need of some work. Lost all my power. I could hit the ball further when I was 12 than I can now, and I am only 30, so my strength has started deteriorating yet. Think it might be a "casting" issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

In all fairness, I do play golf but just started last July. I've got about 10 rounds under my belt and I am terrible at this point. Joined my local CC and hope to get out there a few times a week once spring comes. Being is sales has it's perks! Also will take a few lessons once the weather warms up a bit.

I'm strongly considering a 7-10 day trip to London/Dublin/Paris to see Roger Waters perform The Wall a few more times but if I do not do that a golf/stereo trip sounds like fun. If you guys ever make it out the the Philadelphia area we could hit my country club and then go and hang out on the boat.

Might be headed up that way for a g2g south of Philly in April smile.gif I wish my local CC wasn't so darn expensive or I would already be a member.

For a trip, Myrtle Beach has eleventy billion courses on the SC coast and the beach is beautiful to boot, for those looking just for golf, as there are no JTR speakers in Myrtle Beach that I am aware of...
post #6867 of 18388
I'm also guessing if Kevin joined us, seeing how he owns a golf school, he would be the designated ringer. I call him on my team for the JTR golf scramble tongue.gif
post #6868 of 18388
Beast - John (Seanile) lives 5 minutes from me. smile.gif He will be there as well.
post #6869 of 18388
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

If I'm Roger Waters, I'd be startin to get a little nervous about you SeaNIle ... tongue.gifwink.gif

I've had a really good run seeing him 2010-2012, 14x in all with several of them being front row center. Met most of the band and got his autograph numerous times too. Hard to explain, it's not just a concert but a really cool experience.

Here I am with the lead singer, Robbie Wyckoff, who took over for David Gilmour's parts.

AppleMark

One of the autograph shots.

AppleMark

Wife and I hanging with Dave Kilminster, lead guitar player, before the show in Philly.

post #6870 of 18388
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Wait, you OWN the school? I am definitely in need of some work. Lost all my power. I could hit the ball further when I was 12 than I can now, and I am only 30, so my strength has started deteriorating yet. Think it might be a "casting" issue.
Might be headed up that way for a g2g south of Philly in April smile.gif I wish my local CC wasn't so darn expensive or I would already be a member.

For a trip, Myrtle Beach has eleventy billion courses on the SC coast and the beach is beautiful to boot, for those looking just for golf, as there are no JTR speakers in Myrtle Beach that I am aware of...

Several power leaks in the golf swing. Sure it's not a strength issue. You obviously want your max speed at the impact area(just before and after the ball) and the upper and lower body working together. Almost always a swing mechanics thing. wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread