or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JTR speaker thread - Page 282

post #8431 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Welcome to HT Audio and glad you are enjoying the JTR's. Your Yamaha is providing adequate power for the speakers and your sub is now the weak link so looking at an upgrade there is more important than anything else you mentioned.

There is a pair of older Captivator's for sale in the AVS Classified section that would be a huge upgrade for you assuming you have the room for dual subs of that size. I think the seller is motivated so I'm sure a deal could be made if you were so inclined. I know those subs well as I was the original owner. They sound great for music and movies but are slightly less capable than the current Captivators but still more than anyone really "needs" IMHO. I was even thinking of buying them back but the shipping to me is a deal breaker. If you are closer to PA it is worth investigating as they are a bargain at the current price and he might take less.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details and good luck!


Thank You!

I live just outside of Los Angeles and shipping wouldn't be that big of a deal to me if it meant I could finally get JTR subs! :-)
The Captivator comes in two models, powered and non powered.
Are these subs powered?

Thanks again.
post #8432 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

As much as I love my Noesis speakers I would not suggest an upgrade if you are more of a movies guy. For me the difference between the 888's and Noesis 212's is dramatic for music but much closer with movies.

Also, I agree with RMK that your sub is what need to be upgraded. If you are loving the sound now wait until you get a capable sub(s)!! smile.gif

BTW, do you have pictures of your setup? I'm curious about your motorized AT screen.... well that and I just like seeing other people's setups, especially with JTR gear. smile.gif


We had to use a motorized screen because I didn't want to use the 3D projector for watching everything (would gobble up lamp life). So we have a wall mounted LG 55" LCD as our main display and drop down the Elite Screens 100" 16x9 Acoustically transparent screen to watch movies.
Yes, I do have pictures over on my FB account, I just have to figure out how to post a few here :-)
post #8433 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauri026 View Post

Thank You!

I live just outside of Los Angeles and shipping wouldn't be that big of a deal to me if it meant I could finally get JTR subs! :-)
The Captivator comes in two models, powered and non powered.
Are these subs powered?

Thanks again.

No problem,

Those are passive (unpowered) subs and were 2009 models. The have very light mileage on them considering their age. There are quite a few pro audio amps that would do the job and they are pretty inexpensive. The Captivator tread has more amp details and is worth a look if you are interested. Some have EQ capability and that is helpful if you are so inclined.

There are also some pics of those very subs in my room with my glowing review at the start of the Thread. smile.gif
post #8434 of 18545
Someone in the Klipsch forum mention about speaker "shelf life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

one point that some here miss is that the diaphragms in the reference line is wildly different from the F-30 & alike line the RF line has a TI driver while the F-30 line has a AL driver .
AL diaphragms break down after awhile so they have a "shelf life" where the TI last longer than a person will live .
one is a soft metal where as TI is one of the hardest metals . Food for thought smile.gif
I wonder what's the life of JTR speakers. Last a lifetime without degrading?
post #8435 of 18545
You can get a two channel crown amp, dual subs , dual amps . The model xls 1500. Low price point hi quality sound.
post #8436 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauri026 View Post

Our Yamaha RXV-773WA features a 8ohm and a 6ohm mode. I'm quite sure I switched the AVR over to 6ohm to come as close to the JTRs 4ohm impedance.
This is a "by the way" Shauri. If you did switch to 6Ω mode, I recommend you switch it back. What this mode generally does is engage a circuit that significantly limits the output voltage of the AVR, simply for the purposes of heat dissipation testing by electrical certifiers. This mode effectively limits the current available to the speaker but increases the risk of clipping the amp. The 4Ω (nominal) rating of the JTR's will not be a problem for your Yamaha in 8Ω mode with normal program material due to the very high sensitivity of the JTR's.

This article explains the whole issue in detail: http://www.audioholics.com/education/amplifier-technology/impedance-selector-switch-1

What you have done though (if you did switch to 6Ω/"gelded" mode), is demonstrate that an external amp is definitely not needed for your JTR set-up. smile.gif
post #8437 of 18545
[qHighburye="GIEGAR" url="/t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/8430#post_23454191"]
This is a "by the way" Shauri. If you did switch to 6Ω mode, I recommend you switch it back. What this mode generally does is engage a circuit that significantly limits the output voltage of the AVR, simply for the purposes of heat dissipation testing by electrical certifiers. This mode effectively limits the current available to the speaker but increases the risk of clipping the amp. The 4Ω (nominal) rating of the JTR's will not be a problem for your Yamaha in 8Ω mode with normal program material due to the very high sensitivity of the JTR's.

This article explains the whole issue in detail: http://www.audioholics.com/education/amplifier-technology/impedance-selector-switch-1

What you have done though (if you did switch to 6Ω/"gelded" mode), is demonstrate that an external amp is definitely not needed for your JTR set-up. smile.gif[/quote]


Ohhhhhhh smile.gif
Thanks for the info.
post #8438 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauri026 View Post

Ohhhhhhh smile.gif
Thanks for the info.

Please don't just take my word for it though Shauri. Have a read of the Audioholics article and make your own judgement.
post #8439 of 18545
My eyes are bleeding from reading through all of the countless classifieds over on the "Classified Section".

I was unable to ever find those JTR Captivators that someone was selling. However, I did come across a nice, "what I believe would be a worthy" alternative to a Captivator.

SVS PB13-Ultra!

I know this a JTR thread, but I have to ask if any JTR Captivator owners ever do a head to head with these two subs?

From what I've been reading, the SVS can hit 20Hz and lower and do it at 2/3 the price of a Captivator.

I would love to go JTR all around in my setup. However trying to wrap my head around paying so much for a single speaker such as the Captivator is numbing.

I paid 3k flat for ALL five of my current JTRs.
And that took some serious convincing to my partner to allow me to get those!
Unless I can find a used Captivator I will have to look elsewhere to another manufacturer for that elusive ULF.

Any suggestions from you Forum Folk?
post #8440 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauri026 View Post

My eyes are bleeding from reading through all of the countless classifieds over on the "Classified Section".

I was unable to ever find those JTR Captivators that someone was selling. However, I did come across a nice, "what I believe would be a worthy" alternative to a Captivator.

SVS PB13-Ultra!

I know this a JTR thread, but I have to ask if any JTR Captivator owners ever do a head to head with these two subs?

From what I've been reading, the SVS can hit 20Hz and lower and do it at 2/3 the price of a Captivator.

I would love to go JTR all around in my setup. However trying to wrap my head around paying so much for a single speaker such as the Captivator is numbing.

I paid 3k flat for ALL five of my current JTRs.
And that took some serious convincing to my partner to allow me to get those!
Unless I can find a used Captivator I will have to look elsewhere to another manufacturer for that elusive ULF.

Any suggestions from you Forum Folk?


Update:
Exnay on the SVS PB13-Ultra.
My other half just looked at it and she said, "Oh my Effing Gawd, it's a dog house!!!"

SVS is too big for her likes I take it.

Will keep looking or just bite the bullet and buy a Captivator brand new.

Thanks
post #8441 of 18545
A captivator has far more output than the svs ultra, over twice as much in fact. However, if your wife didn't like the size of the ultra she's not going to like the cap either!
post #8442 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

A captivator has far more output than the svs ultra, over twice as much in fact. However, if your wife didn't like the size of the ultra she's not going to like the cap either!


The SVS is down and long the Captivator is up like a building.
The SVS has too much of a footprint for her I think.
post #8443 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauri026 View Post

The SVS is down and long the Captivator is up like a building.
The SVS has too much of a footprint for her I think.

Here is the link to the captivators.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1447972/jtr-captivator-2-passive-price-lowered-now-accepting-offers
post #8444 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

Here is the link to the captivators.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1447972/jtr-captivator-2-passive-price-lowered-now-accepting-offers


Just wrote SeaNile in regards to his Captivators.
He wants 1500 for the pair and shipping will probably be 600+ to ship to SoCal and then we need a good external amplifier to drive both of them. That won't be cheap, lol.

All in all, this will probably run us another 3k in LFEs. . .
Now, these subs WILL go down to the ULF range of 20Hz and beyond?
post #8445 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauri026 View Post

Just wrote SeaNile in regards to his Captivators.
He wants 1500 for the pair
his listing says $1000 for both????
post #8446 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauri026 View Post

Just wrote SeaNile in regards to his Captivators.
He wants 1500 for the pair and shipping will probably be 600+ to ship to SoCal and then we need a good external amplifier to drive both of them. That won't be cheap, lol.

All in all, this will probably run us another 3k in LFEs. . .
Now, these subs WILL go down to the ULF range of 20Hz and beyond?
That's at least $2500. eek.gif For the same $$$$ you can get a brand new powered Cap 2400. It also comes with peace of mind. Throw in another $500 and choices include an Orbit Shifter or Cap S2.biggrin.gif:)
If dual subwoofers from the beginning is a must have then a pair of powered Cap 1000s would even be a much better choice. Get the best single sub you can and later on purchase a second if you feel its needed. Over the next few months there will be more used Caps available. In audio Patience is something that is usually rewarded.
Call Jeff for your best deal.
Chris
post #8447 of 18545
I was the lucky buyer of coach2369's T12's. I received them yesterday and I've only got 45 mins on them (of course they show on my anniversary) but WOW eek.gif More to come...
post #8448 of 18545
Update:
After careful deliberation with my other half, I've been given the green light to buy brand new from JTR.
Looking at either the active Captivator 1000 or the 2400.

Which one would be more feasible in a 15'x20'x8' room?
Would the 2400's 4000watts be overkill for our room size?

Also, can someone help me understand what the 240v amplifier is for that is an additional 100.00 to the cost of the Captivator 2400?
post #8449 of 18545
The Cap 2400 would be perfect. The amp is the SpeakerPower 2400. The 4000 is only used in the OS & Cap S2. It is a little more powerful than what the ported Cap needed so Jeff updated it the 2400 wpc amp and that is why it is now called the Cap 2400 instead of the Cap 4000. The Cap 1000 coincidently has a 1000 wpc amp in it.
Between the powered Cap 2400 , Orbit Shifter, and The Cap S2 there are no wrong choices. They represent the Best of there designs (ported, horn loaded, & sealed). Any one of these will outperform most dual setups at the same price. Don't fall for the term overkill until you have first hand experienced it. I am still waiting for it to happen to me.biggrin.gif I think it is an intimidating and confusing word when applied to purchasing subwoofers.wink.gif
Good Luck
Chris
Edited by countryWV - 6/22/13 at 8:21am
post #8450 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauri026 View Post

Also, can someone help me understand what the 240v amplifier is for that is an additional 100.00 to the cost of the Captivator 2400?

Don't worry about it. That's to suit us foreigners on 240 volt electrical service. biggrin.gif
post #8451 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauri026 View Post

Update:
After careful deliberation with my other half, I've been given the green light to buy brand new from JTR.
Looking at either the active Captivator 1000 or the 2400.

Which one would be more feasible in a 15'x20'x8' room?
Would the 2400's 4000watts be overkill for our room size?

Also, can someone help me understand what the 240v amplifier is for that is an additional 100.00 to the cost of the Captivator 2400?

Good idea and I would say go for the Cap 1000. Jeff has told me it is his best value subwoofer product.

I don't know what is up with the passive Cap seller. He is asking $1K in his ad for both and he tells you $1500 for the pair??? That is more than he paid and the shipping quote is well, just plain stupid... very strange and best to leave it alone rolleyes.gif
post #8452 of 18545
"I don't know what is up with the passive Cap seller. He is asking $1K in his ad for both and he tells you $1500 for the pair??? That is more than he paid and the shipping quote is well, just plain stupid... very strange and best to leave it alone"

Maybe he really is SeaNile. biggrin.gif
post #8453 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC507JC View Post

his listing says $1000 for both????

It's the old bait and switch trick! Lol
Maybe that's why they're still for sale.

Reminds me of the old car dealership trick of advertising a car for cheap to get customers in to look at and then when they get there they say "of I sold that car this morning but for 3grand more I can get you into this great car" ....lol
post #8454 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by laeriq View Post

I was the lucky buyer of coach2369's T12's. I received them yesterday and I've only got 45 mins on them (of course they show on my anniversary) but WOW eek.gif More to come...

I am glad you having that reaction to the speakers. A bit more dynamic than your Def Techs? wink.gif
post #8455 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauri026 View Post

Update:
After careful deliberation with my other half, I've been given the green light to buy brand new from JTR.
Looking at either the active Captivator 1000 or the 2400.

Which one would be more feasible in a 15'x20'x8' room?
Would the 2400's 4000watts be overkill for our room size?

Also, can someone help me understand what the 240v amplifier is for that is an additional 100.00 to the cost of the Captivator 2400?

My room is almost the same size as yours. I went with a single os.
post #8456 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

I just received three of the Noesis speakers... They are a great looking and sounding speaker..
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

I am glad you having that reaction to the speakers. A bit more dynamic than your Def Techs? wink.gif

Coach, so you went from Klipsch, to the T12's now up to the Noesis?

I actually have the RF-7II's now and am looking to upgrade eventually. I stumbled upon your classified. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1454203/klipsch-rf-7ii-and-rc-64ii/0_100

How would you compare the RF-7II's and the RC-64 vs the Noesis? I've heard them both, but never in the same listening environment. You've ran both using your AVR for power, correct?

Also, did you ever end up selling your Klipsch gear? Feel free to shoot me a PM if you prefer.

Thanks.
post #8457 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

It's the old bait and switch trick! Lol
Maybe that's why they're still for sale.

Reminds me of the old car dealership trick of advertising a car for cheap to get customers in to look at and then when they get there they say "of I sold that car this morning but for 3grand more I can get you into this great car" ....lol

The price is definitely 1000 for the pair - not sure where 1500 came from? I imagine shipping on a pallet wouldn't be more than 300-400 total to most places, even to a residence needing a lift gate.

Also a bridged EP4000 would be more than fine to power this pair.
post #8458 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

The price is definitely 1000 for the pair - not sure where 1500 came from? I imagine shipping on a pallet wouldn't be more than 300-400 total to most places, even to a residence needing a lift gate.

Also a bridged EP4000 would be more than fine to power this pair.

Hmmm strange, so the one person that recently posted saying that he wanted $1500 not $1000 was mistaken?
post #8459 of 18545
I think that person made that assumption based on an old comment in the ad, where the seller posted a price drop to 1500.
post #8460 of 18545
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post

I think that person made that assumption based on an old comment in the ad, where the seller posted a price drop to 1500.

Does not sound like it from his comment:

"Just wrote SeaNile in regards to his Captivators.
He wants 1500 for the pair and shipping will probably be 600+ to ship to SoCal and then we need a good external amplifier to drive both of them. That won't be cheap, lol."
Reply
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread