or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JTR speaker thread - Page 334

post #9991 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Thanks RMB!

Nice system you have there eek.gifbiggrin.gif

You are welcome, thanks, and a very nice future system to you as well!

-RMB
post #9992 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Yes, I think that is great advice!
Of course I'm over thinking it!biggrin.gif i've got a week or two before I get my speakers and I'm now in the OCD stage of speaker purchasing (Stage 1 = Denial that you need to upgrade; Stage 2 = Acceptance that yes, you must; Stage 3 = OCD waiting for them; Stage 4 = Cold beer with buds as you re-explore your movie/music collection)cool.gif

This is how I'm going to do it. And this one is actually to scale:

I have CHT SHO-10's. There are many stunning SACD's out there, Pink Floyd being one of them.
Do I detect some sarcasm there?...biggrin.gif

For your side surround speakers, you need them mounted up high and aimed at the seating on the far side. That way the seating on the far side gets the direct sound and the seats right under the speaker are getting sound far enough off angle so that the output is reduced several DB. This allows you to get the sound closer to even in all the seats. This is not too hard to do with one row of seats, but pretty tough with a single set of side surrounds and two rows of seating. If your front row is your favored seating area, then I would aim the side surrounds at the far seat on the front row.
Reply
Reply
post #9993 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

For your side surround speakers, you need them mounted up high and aimed at the seating on the far side. That way the seating on the far side gets the direct sound and the seats right under the speaker are getting sound far enough off angle so that the output is reduced several DB. This allows you to get the sound closer to even in all the seats. This is not too hard to do with one row of seats, but pretty tough with a single set of side surrounds and two rows of seating. If your front row is your favored seating area, then I would aim the side surrounds at the far seat on the front row.

Thanks Mike!

That is exactly how i have things with one row now. It's that second row that's been giving me heartburn. But I have decided I will favor the first row and take the sacrifice in the second row, just as you suggested.
post #9994 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by staaled View Post

Thanks.
I plan to setup the 2-channel system next week.







So you posted pictures of both the 212HT-LP and 228HT, so what's your exact setup consist of?
post #9995 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Mrlittlejeans - Why are you a dejected TN fan? You do realize we're going to beat Oregon Saturday afternoon, right? Yeah, I couldn't say that with a straight face either. We'll be back one of these years soon, sooner I hope. smile.gif

A man can dream. I hate it when we lose and even more when we lose to a non SEC team.
post #9996 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Mrlittlejeans - Why are you a dejected TN fan? You do realize we're going to beat Oregon Saturday afternoon, right? Yeah, I couldn't say that with a straight face either. We'll be back one of these years soon, sooner I hope. smile.gif
Take comfort that Lane Kiffin is getting his Just Desserts.smile.gif
Chris
post #9997 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

So you posted pictures of both the 212HT-LP and 228HT, so what's your exact setup consist of?

Noesis 212 HT LP LCR and 228 HT as surrounds.

A pair of Captivators already in use.

Here's a link to my system : http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?topic=135363.0
Edited by staaled - 9/14/13 at 4:42am
post #9998 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Yes the LP's are designed to be mounted right up against the wall, and the standard ported version would pick up bass if it's closer to a wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

The standard 212ht will extend a little lower then the LP version, but if you're using a good sub with either speaker it wouldn't really matter much. But the LP version is more compact, which might make it a better fit for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

I thought there was also a difference between the ported and sealed if placed close to a wall of corner. I want to say that the sealed is better if putting in a corner where there is a greater bass boost from the wall boundary. But I could be wrong.

I have a compact setup with boundaries near, hence the LP's.



A pic of the boxes.
post #9999 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by staaled View Post

Noesis 212 HT LP LCR and 228 HT as surrounds.

A pair of Captivators already in use.

Here's a link to my system : http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?topic=135363.0
Noesis all around. Sweet!!!
Chris.
post #10000 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Mrlittlejeans - Why are you a dejected TN fan? You do realize we're going to beat Oregon Saturday afternoon, right? Yeah, I couldn't say that with a straight face either. We'll be back one of these years soon, sooner I hope. smile.gif

I am a VERY huge Georgia fan, but living in Knoxville and being married to a UT girl, I am rooting for the Vols today... That comment about them beating Oregon is quite comical.. lol
post #10001 of 18423
I was rooting for Georgia the last two weeks (Spurrier stills draws my ire). Still can't believe you missed that field goal.
post #10002 of 18423
So I found something odd with Slant 8's the other day. The magnets on the speaker are not magnetized on one of them. When the speaker is in place on the wall, the grills don't stay on. So I'm not sending it back for that but kind sucks. I ended up 2-way taping it on but a strange problem. I hoped it was just the grill but it's the magnets on the actual speaker. Man I don't have good luck with grill from JTR lol, My Noesis ones showed up snapped in half too tongue.gif
post #10003 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

So I found something odd with Slant 8's the other day. The magnets on the speaker are not magnetized on one of them. When the speaker is in place on the wall, the grills don't stay on. So I'm not sending it back for that but kind sucks. I ended up 2-way taping it on but a strange problem. I hoped it was just the grill but it's the magnets on the actual speaker. Man I don't have good luck with grill from JTR lol, My Noesis ones showed up snapped in half too tongue.gif

i have the same problem with my noesis, i notice that there are some magnets that are not magnetized, that or jeff decided to save a few magnets per speaker.
post #10004 of 18423
That's weird, the magnet on my 228HT's are so strong that they basically rip the grill out of your hand when you get somewhat close to the speaker.
post #10005 of 18423
Tell Jeff - I'm sure he'd like to know that. He may send you a new grill or whatever. You could check if it's the magnet in the cab or the one on the grill that's jacked by checking with a refrigerator magnet. See if it sticks to the grill or the cab where the magnet is.

My grill magnets all work on my 228HT and I'd be contacting him if they didn't.
post #10006 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

That's weird, the magnet on my 228HT's are so strong that they basically rip the grill out of your hand when you get somewhat close to the speaker.

mine and carp's too!
post #10007 of 18423
On mine it's for sure the actual speaker magnets. I did send him an email telling him but of course no reply as usual lol. The magnets on all my other JTR stuff are great and work fine, just one set of the slant 8's.
post #10008 of 18423


For comparison.



Mounted the 228's with a friend of mine today.
post #10009 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

On mine it's for sure the actual speaker magnets. I did send him an email telling him but of course no reply as usual lol. The magnets on all my other JTR stuff are great and work fine, just one set of the slant 8's.

Hey, stop bothering him, he's building my speakers!biggrin.gif





Sent from my mobile phone and approved by the NSA
post #10010 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post


Noesis all around. Sweet!!!
Chris.

I have no doubt it will be.smile.gif
post #10011 of 18423
Quote:

Awesome.

Sent from my mobile phone and approved by the NSA
post #10012 of 18423
Nice Staaled!

Now can you please do some single speaker A/B music listening between the 228 vs 212 and give us your thoughts. It won't save me any money but it might someone else. smile.gif
post #10013 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Nice Staaled!

Now can you please do some single speaker A/B music listening between the 228 vs 212 and give us your thoughts. It won't save me any money but it might someone else. smile.gif

Thanks.

I' m sorry but the 228' s will have to stay put for a while., blu tacked them.biggrin.gif
Serious, I have no doubt that the reports so far are accurate.
212' s have the musical edge . It' s just a matter of how important music is to the user.
post #10014 of 18423
Is staaled the first guy with all Noesis speakers including surrounds? I've experienced it once for HT at dlbeck's last gtg, and it was awesome. I haven't heard an all Noesis setup for 5.1 channel music and I think that's what will really separate a system like this from the posers like me that don't have JTR surrounds (nevermind Noesis surrounds).

Congratulations staaled on an awesome, awesome, setup. I'm mostly a 2 channel music guy, but I think I'd be doing more 5 channel disks if I had your surrounds.

OK, so now we are just wating for the first guy that will have:

LCR: 212's
Side surrounds: 228's
Rear surrounds: 228's

and then:

LCR: 212's
Side Surrounds 212's (these are the more important surrounds IMO)
Rear surrounds 228's

finally:

LCR: 212's
Side surrounds: 212's
rear surrounds: 212's

biggrin.gif
post #10015 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by staaled View Post

Thanks.

I' m sorry but the 228' s will have to stay put for a while., blu tacked them.biggrin.gif
Serious, I have no doubt that the reports so far are accurate.
212' s have the musical edge . It' s just a matter of how important music is to the user.

Who said anything about moving the mounted 228s? You can move the unmounted 212HTs. smile.gif It was worth a shot anyway.
post #10016 of 18423
Quote:
finally:

LCR: 212's
Side surrounds: 212's
rear surrounds: 212's

Hmm, a $15,000 setup. Speakers only...Who doesnt want that?!?!? Haha
post #10017 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Hmm, a $15,000 setup. Speakers only...Who doesnt want that?!?!? Haha

Haha, it will go well with that 36,000 dollar sub that claims 136 db at 20hz. Actually better get 4 of those subs.
post #10018 of 18423
And what sub would that be...I'll only be able to afford 2. Oops. I meant .02 of them.
post #10019 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

And what sub would that be...I'll only be able to afford 2. Oops. I meant .02 of them.


This sub. Obviously the 136 db's at 20hz at 1% distortion is bullshipment.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1488992/136-db-at-20-hz-new-magico-qsub-for-the-1-of-the-1#post_23697137
post #10020 of 18423
Wow. I don't know if TN is that bad or Oregon is just that damn good. I'll go with Oregon just being a damn juggernaut but TN obviously needs to get some depth. At least it gets easier with Florida next week...uh, yeah.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official JTR speaker thread