or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › *Official* Optoma HD20 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* Optoma HD20 Thread

post #1 of 3968
Thread Starter 
Looks like a contender for new budget king besides the unproven Vivitek.
All Best Buy Stores Release date 9/6/09
Optoma HD20 $1099.99

Weight 6.4 lbs
short throw distance/ max screen size 4-5 feet
1080p native 1920x1080
1700 Lumens
2500:1 Contrast ratio
16:9 4:3 and 16:10
DLP
Brilliantcolor by Texas Instruments
post #2 of 3968
very excited....

thought about ordering the infocus, but will wait for this to see how it is.
post #3 of 3968
Do you have a link to that thanks in advanced
post #4 of 3968
Already a very long thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1155084

Yes, it does look like there will be a few exciting new under-1000 choices this coming year...
post #5 of 3968
The Optoma HD20 is available in Projectorpeople.com and in Visualapex.com
for $999.00!
post #6 of 3968
"The Optoma HD20 is available in Projectorpeople.com and in Visualapex.com
for $999.00! "


That's a good thing! Need to see some more reviews before I jump. New lamp for the 70 ,or new PJ ? decisions,decisions!
post #7 of 3968
So BB is going to charge 1099? Disappointing... guess I'll take a try online.
post #8 of 3968
post #9 of 3968
Quote:
Originally Posted by combatinfbadge View Post

Looks like a contender for new budget king besides the unproven Vivitek.
All Best Buy Stores Release date 9/6/09
Optoma HD20 $1099.99

Weight 6.4 lbs
short throw distance/ max screen size 4-5 feet
1080p native 1920x1080
1700 Lumens
2500:1 Contrast ratio
16:9 4:3 and 16:10
DLP
Brilliantcolor by Texas Instruments

Visual Apex lists the projector at 4000:1 Contrast. Does it use Image AI or something for dynamic contrast?

BTW, what is the throw ratio? I'll need short throw if I'm going to replace my Sharp DT-500. Hope this is on the same level on other areas as well as resolution.
post #10 of 3968
Im taking my hd65 back to best buy and will order this on friday!!!
post #11 of 3968
What's the speed on the color wheel ? 4x or 5x ?

What's the throw ratio ? Not list in the Calculator yet !
post #12 of 3968
I hope it is as good as all the hype. ... Then if BB sells it (on sale ) with their 36 month no interest, I'll have one. I'd love to by from AVs, Projector People, Visual Apex, or any other sponsor here, but they don't have any financing. It must be nice to have a grand or two to throw around. They would have my sale if I could finance over a year or three like BB.
post #13 of 3968
I want to buy it online now, but I'm trying to hold off a little. I prefer to buy it a Costco because they offer a 2 year warranty on all electronics. The manufacture only offers a 1 year warranty.

I wonder how long it'll take costco to start stocking this unit? Anyone know? I know they have it in canada I wish it was here already.
post #14 of 3968
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 View Post

I want to buy it online now, but I'm trying to hold off a little. I prefer to buy it a Costco because they offer a 2 year warranty on all electronics. The manufacture only offers a 1 year warranty.

I wonder how long it'll take costco to start stocking this unit? Anyone know? I know they have it in canada I wish it was here already.

They have a good return policy too, if buy it online and something is wrong you don't have to ship it back, you just take it back to any one of there stores. Plus all there prices include shipping at least here in Canada
post #15 of 3968
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdog_2005 View Post

They have a good return policy too, if buy it online and something is wrong you don't have to ship it back, you just take it back to any one of there stores. Plus all there prices include shipping at least here in Canada

Thanks, but ill wait till i see it on there US site. Buying it from the Canada site might not work. I don't think they will honer the return if anything happends because of the different countries.
post #16 of 3968
yep its actually best for you to buy from US when they have it online, then you don't get the dreaded custom charges.
post #17 of 3968
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 View Post

What's the speed on the color wheel ? 4x or 5x ?

What's the throw ratio ? Not list in the Calculator yet !

Guitarman in the other HD20 thread was told it was a RGB/RGB 4X.

I think you can use the HD200x for the calculator seems close until they update it.

Rew
post #18 of 3968
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 View Post

What's the speed on the color wheel ? 4x or 5x ?

What's the throw ratio ? Not list in the Calculator yet !

Throw Ratio is probably the same as HD200x. At least, that is what I used for reference.

EDIT: posted at same time as REW452!
post #19 of 3968
besides the obvious resoluation change of 768p vs 1080p, do you think there will be other improvements compared to a optoma hd72? I am worried about going from 7 segment color wheel vs 6 segment.
post #20 of 3968
My ae900u just died on me recently and now of course I'm in the market. Do you guys think I should look into this one or wait until after Cedia to see what else might come out with in the next couple months? I've been with out a projector for a couple months now and it really sucks, so hard to be patient lol.

I live in Canada, maybe I'll go take a costco trip tonight to at least see if they have it here, how much, etc.
post #21 of 3968
According to the product pdf the noise is 32db in STD mode. I wonder how that would compare to my current pj, the Optoma HD72. I actually think the 72 is quiet enough for a projector. I rarely notice it and never use it on bright mode. But the spec for the HD72 is 27db. From 27->32 is a big jump and I fear that noise will be a dealbreaker. Anyone now what this sounds like in the real world and how it would compare to the HD72?

TIA,

Jay W
post #22 of 3968
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayw View Post

According to the product pdf the noise is 32db in STD mode. I wonder how that would compare to my current pj, the Optoma HD72. I actually think the 72 is quiet enough for a projector. I rarely notice it and never use it on bright mode. But the spec for the HD72 is 27db. From 27->32 is a big jump and I fear that noise will be a dealbreaker. Anyone now what this sounds like in the real world and how it would compare to the HD72?

TIA,

Jay W


Its pretty quiet in low lamp mode, i don't even hear it when i am watching a movie, know if you run it in bright mode it is loud, It would drive me nuts i probably would take the projector back.
post #23 of 3968
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 View Post

What's the speed on the color wheel ? 4x or 5x ?

What's the throw ratio ? Not list in the Calculator yet !

according to here its a 6 segment color wheel.

http://www.visualapex.com/optoma/Pro...le&KW=Opt-HD20


Projector central finally got the info up

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD20.htm
post #24 of 3968
i'm wondering if this pj has a vertical stretch mode to allow use of an anamorphic he lens.
?
post #25 of 3968
Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

i'm wondering if this pj has a vertical stretch mode to allow use of an anamorphic he lens.
?

Optoma does a good job of noting projectors that can be used with an anamorphic lens. At this price point, I wouldn't expect it. HD806 would probably be your choice.
post #26 of 3968
Just ordered mine from Visual Apex....first order goes out on thursday so should have it by friday!!!!

Taking my HD65 back to BB tomorrow...
post #27 of 3968
Visual Apex lists these in stock!!!
post #28 of 3968
So tempting!
post #29 of 3968
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRiderX View Post

So tempting!

YES Very! But after seeing this I'm going to wait. It finally has a shipping date of 8/15 (only a week) and it looks like its worth the wait. Its 1800lumens and 5000:1 contrast VS Hd20 1700lumens and 4000:1 contrast. Its also a little smaller.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/proje...ivitek+H1080FD
post #30 of 3968
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 View Post

YES Very! But after seeing this I'm going to wait. It finally has a shipping date of 8/15 (only a week) and it looks like its worth the wait. Its 1800lumens and 5000:1 contrast VS Hd20 1700lumens and 4000:1 contrast. Its also a little smaller.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/proje...ivitek+H1080FD

You wanna bet this is the same unit? Or at least same design model with inflated numbers?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › *Official* Optoma HD20 Thread